RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

I yearn for long, inflatable, rounded objects.

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Queenie



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 15767
Location: Queens


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/23/12 9:37 pm    ::: I yearn for long, inflatable, rounded objects. Reply Reply with quote

That is to say, thundersticks, bangers, noisemakers, those plastic things you smash together to make noise, whatever it is you call them in your particular neck of the woods. Get your mind out of the gutter.

For those of you not in the know, my house is decorated in Late Modern Women's Basketball, and we have deflated thundersticks along the top of one wall like a wallpaper border. I've seen some very nifty ones watching games, notably the black San Antonio ones, the pale blue Dream ones, and the orange Mercury ones. I WANT.

So I'm putting a general request out there. I have Liberty ones and can get Sun ones; I also have old Storm and Dream ones, but wouldn't mind updated ones. Hit me on PM.



_________________
We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 57058
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/23/12 9:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Dream have been handing out dark blue ones with the Aaron's logo on them all season. Even the PA announcer calls them Aaron's Thunder Stix.



_________________
A leader is one who knows the way, goes the way, and shows the way
Happycappie25



Joined: 07 Feb 2006
Posts: 3947
Location: QUEENS!!!!


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/24/12 6:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does it have the Dream logo anywhere...if so we'll take em...if not..no thanks...we're doing WBB not NASCAR Wink



_________________
"Leave it to the NCAA women's basketball committee to turn a glass slipper into glass ceiling" Graham Hays
caune



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 17919
Location: Valley of the Bun


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/24/12 8:33 am    ::: Re: I yearn for long, inflatable, rounded objects. Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
That is to say, thundersticks, bangers, noisemakers, those plastic things you smash together to make noise, whatever it is you call them in your particular neck of the woods. Get your mind out of the gutter.

For those of you not in the know, my house is decorated in Late Modern Women's Basketball, and we have deflated thundersticks along the top of one wall like a wallpaper border. I've seen some very nifty ones watching games, notably the black San Antonio ones, the pale blue Dream ones, and the orange Mercury ones. I WANT.

So I'm putting a general request out there. I have Liberty ones and can get Sun ones; I also have old Storm and Dream ones, but wouldn't mind updated ones. Hit me on PM.


well crap. They gave them out last night and I didn't grab any. I promise next time I'll get ya two sets!



_________________
Because there is only one Diana Taurasi.
@Phoenix Mercury
Queenie



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 15767
Location: Queens


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/24/12 9:54 am    ::: Re: I yearn for long, inflatable, rounded objects. Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
Queenie wrote:
That is to say, thundersticks, bangers, noisemakers, those plastic things you smash together to make noise, whatever it is you call them in your particular neck of the woods. Get your mind out of the gutter.

For those of you not in the know, my house is decorated in Late Modern Women's Basketball, and we have deflated thundersticks along the top of one wall like a wallpaper border. I've seen some very nifty ones watching games, notably the black San Antonio ones, the pale blue Dream ones, and the orange Mercury ones. I WANT.

So I'm putting a general request out there. I have Liberty ones and can get Sun ones; I also have old Storm and Dream ones, but wouldn't mind updated ones. Hit me on PM.


well crap. They gave them out last night and I didn't grab any. I promise next time I'll get ya two sets!


One of your fellow Merc fans beat you to the punch, but thanks for thinking of us!



_________________
We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.
caune



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 17919
Location: Valley of the Bun


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/24/12 9:56 am    ::: Re: I yearn for long, inflatable, rounded objects. Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
caune wrote:
Queenie wrote:
That is to say, thundersticks, bangers, noisemakers, those plastic things you smash together to make noise, whatever it is you call them in your particular neck of the woods. Get your mind out of the gutter.

For those of you not in the know, my house is decorated in Late Modern Women's Basketball, and we have deflated thundersticks along the top of one wall like a wallpaper border. I've seen some very nifty ones watching games, notably the black San Antonio ones, the pale blue Dream ones, and the orange Mercury ones. I WANT.

So I'm putting a general request out there. I have Liberty ones and can get Sun ones; I also have old Storm and Dream ones, but wouldn't mind updated ones. Hit me on PM.


well crap. They gave them out last night and I didn't grab any. I promise next time I'll get ya two sets!


One of your fellow Merc fans beat you to the punch, but thanks for thinking of us!


Good. Sharing is good!



_________________
Because there is only one Diana Taurasi.
@Phoenix Mercury
idchafee



Joined: 12 Mar 2008
Posts: 918



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/24/12 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Sky give them out but I don't know if they have the logo on them. I'll check next time we go



_________________
This space for rent
threefrom60



Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Posts: 2572
Location: Olympia, WA


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/24/12 12:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There were rainbow Storm ones on Friday night and likely will be today as well! If you are interested I would grab some and send them to you (and I promise not to put anthrax in the envelope Wink


Nerd2



Joined: 06 Jun 2010
Posts: 7659



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/24/12 3:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

threefrom60 wrote:
There were rainbow Storm ones on Friday night and likely will be today as well! If you are interested I would grab some and send them to you (and I promise not to put anthrax in the envelope Wink


Where were those?


RedEqualsLuck



Joined: 28 May 2005
Posts: 4780



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/24/12 7:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

But where else is my mind supposed to live?



_________________
When Jefferson wrote: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal," he didn't include the word "except."
Huskie



Joined: 03 Apr 2009
Posts: 1312
Location: Cloud Nine


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/24/12 8:36 pm    ::: Re: I yearn for long, inflatable, rounded objects. Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
Queenie wrote:
caune wrote:
Queenie wrote:
That is to say, thundersticks, bangers, noisemakers, those plastic things you smash together to make noise, whatever it is you call them in your particular neck of the woods. Get your mind out of the gutter.

For those of you not in the know, my house is decorated in Late Modern Women's Basketball, and we have deflated thundersticks along the top of one wall like a wallpaper border. I've seen some very nifty ones watching games, notably the black San Antonio ones, the pale blue Dream ones, and the orange Mercury ones. I WANT.

So I'm putting a general request out there. I have Liberty ones and can get Sun ones; I also have old Storm and Dream ones, but wouldn't mind updated ones. Hit me on PM.


well crap. They gave them out last night and I didn't grab any. I promise next time I'll get ya two sets!


One of your fellow Merc fans beat you to the punch, but thanks for thinking of us!


Good. Sharing is good!


And, after looking around have some from years past as well. You'll have them soon.

PS: Caune, the micro Tshirt I snagged ended up with a sweet little girl who looked heart broken not to have gotten a shirt after the game.....I know now what a beautiful smile she has. Wink



_________________
See you in Minneapolis in 2018!
Queenie



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 15767
Location: Queens


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/24/12 9:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I <3 Board Junkies.

For the offers made both on this thread and through PM, many thanks- still working my way through the PMs. Once the project is complete, we'll post pictures. With all the teams we're hearing from, this is going to be amazing, and really show off that we're not just Liberty fans, we're WNBA fans.

unsubtle edit: between open posts on the thread and PMs, we've heard from seven fan bases! With the Libs and Sun already well covered by our own travels, that makes nine. Dare I hope to hear from Tulsa, San Antonio (seriously, SASS fans, those black ones are sexy), or Minnesota?



_________________
We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.
norwester



Joined: 14 Jun 2006
Posts: 6351
Location: Seattle


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/25/12 1:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
threefrom60 wrote:
There were rainbow Storm ones on Friday night and likely will be today as well! If you are interested I would grab some and send them to you (and I promise not to put anthrax in the envelope Wink


Where were those?

They were handing them out at the booth at the festival outside, and also on the tables outside the doors as you entered the arena, by the programs.



_________________
Don't you know the plural of "anecdote" is "data"?
Nerd2



Joined: 06 Jun 2010
Posts: 7659



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/25/12 1:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

norwester wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:
threefrom60 wrote:
There were rainbow Storm ones on Friday night and likely will be today as well! If you are interested I would grab some and send them to you (and I promise not to put anthrax in the envelope Wink


Where were those?

They were handing them out at the booth at the festival outside, and also on the tables outside the doors as you entered the arena, by the programs.


Yep, found them today. Queenie, three of us are headed to the Libs/Storm game next weekend. I could bring a pair if you want.


Queenie



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 15767
Location: Queens


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/25/12 7:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
norwester wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:
threefrom60 wrote:
There were rainbow Storm ones on Friday night and likely will be today as well! If you are interested I would grab some and send them to you (and I promise not to put anthrax in the envelope Wink


Where were those?

They were handing them out at the booth at the festival outside, and also on the tables outside the doors as you entered the arena, by the programs.


Yep, found them today. Queenie, three of us are headed to the Libs/Storm game next weekend. I could bring a pair if you want.


psheehy's already offered to send a pair, but come by Section 9 anyway. Would love to meet you!



_________________
We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.
caune



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 17919
Location: Valley of the Bun


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/25/12 8:39 am    ::: Re: I yearn for long, inflatable, rounded objects. Reply Reply with quote

Huskie wrote:


PS: Caune, the micro Tshirt I snagged ended up with a sweet little girl who looked heart broken not to have gotten a shirt after the game.....I know now what a beautiful smile she has. Wink


See. Sharing is good!



_________________
Because there is only one Diana Taurasi.
@Phoenix Mercury
Queenie



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 15767
Location: Queens


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/09/12 12:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bumping with an update:

Thanks to chloe's nifty light-up Sparks ones (the light on the spare lasted two days!), psheehy's Storm pride ones, Huskie's many Mercury ones, Joe Foss's matched pair of Fever ones, and the kindness of a Silver Stars fan yesterday, we're up to 8 out of 12 current teams on the walls, and the effect is looking niftier and niftier!

Of current teams, we now only lack Chicago, Washington, Minnesota, and Tulsa; we'd also welcome with open arms the long shot of getting some from ex-WNBA cities.



_________________
We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.
vallee



Joined: 14 Jun 2006
Posts: 625



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/09/12 1:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'll send you one for the Mystics. Heck, I'm so fed up that you may get more "valuable" Mystics stuff in the mailing. I put a WNBA tshirt signed by Alana in the charity donation bag last night.


Admiral_Needa



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 9533
Location: Tiburon, CA


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/09/12 1:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have Sacramento and Detroit. Mr. Green Mr. Green







_________________
2002 WNBA Virtual GM Overall Winner
2006 WNBA Triple Threat Overall Winner
2007 NBA ESPN Fast Break Overall Winner
BCBG25



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 20112
Location: Sampa


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/09/12 2:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RedEqualsLuck wrote:
But where else is my mind supposed to live?


Right?
I wish you would've asked sooner, I threw a lot of them away during my move...I'll see if I saved some to deliver some time this year. Wink



_________________
Kings of the World!
OldGoat



Joined: 09 Apr 2008
Posts: 404
Location: overland park


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/09/12 2:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We've been down to OK for four Shock games thus far--no thundersticks have been seen. They did have them last year--I'll inquire when we go down this fall and PM if we have any luck.


Huskie



Joined: 03 Apr 2009
Posts: 1312
Location: Cloud Nine


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/09/12 8:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Bumping with an update:

Thanks to chloe's nifty light-up Sparks ones (the light on the spare lasted two days!), psheehy's Storm pride ones, Huskie's many Mercury ones, Joe Foss's matched pair of Fever ones, and the kindness of a Silver Stars fan yesterday, we're up to 8 out of 12 current teams on the walls, and the effect is looking niftier and niftier!

Of current teams, we now only lack Chicago, Washington, Minnesota, and Tulsa; we'd also welcome with open arms the long shot of getting some from ex-WNBA cities.


I snagged some at the Merc v Sky game for you, prior to being kicked out by Allstate Arena security for overstaying my welcome trying to obtain autographs. Laughing



_________________
See you in Minneapolis in 2018!
Queenie



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 15767
Location: Queens


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/25/12 10:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bumping again with a decorating update for the warm and fuzzies:

vallee came through big time with not one, not two, but three different Mystics thundersticks in three different colors, from both the blue-and-bronze era and the red-and-blue era (along with some other nifty Mystics knick-knacks- does anyone know how to rig a windsock?)

We just got Huskie's Chicago "cheering sticks" in today's mail, and are discussing the best place along the border to put them. She's been super.

Ten current cities down, two to go! (We also welcome ex-W cities, though we're going to have to move things soon. It wouldn't be appropriate to shift the Sue Wicks poster to a closet door, right? Even if it's the outside of the door?)



_________________
We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.
vallee



Joined: 14 Jun 2006
Posts: 625



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/26/12 5:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Okay, I'll go there:

I think Sue would be fine being out of the closet.


Pureformofthegame



Joined: 07 Sep 2008
Posts: 448
Location: Raleigh, NC


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/26/12 6:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

vallee wrote:
Okay, I'll go there:

I think Sue would be fine being out of the closet.


Good one! Thanks for the morning laugh!


StevenHW



Joined: 25 Jul 2005
Posts: 10237
Location: Sacramento, California


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/26/12 10:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

[snip]...Of current teams, we now only lack Chicago, Washington, Minnesota, and Tulsa; we'd also welcome with open arms the long shot of getting some from ex-WNBA cities.


I have quite a few Sacramento Monarchs thundersticks. Some of them also have a sponsor's name on them, along with the Monarchs' logo. Others has a local TV channel on them.


Queenie



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 15767
Location: Queens


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/26/12 6:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pureformofthegame wrote:
vallee wrote:
Okay, I'll go there:

I think Sue would be fine being out of the closet.


Good one! Thanks for the morning laugh!


Should I mention the poster on the *inside* of that specific door? Wink



_________________
We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.
Randy



Joined: 08 Oct 2011
Posts: 8153



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/27/12 11:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BTW - with all the advanced statisics, etc available, does anyone know if Basketball Reference.com or the like have any stats of players FT% with and without being under Thunderstick attack? From the games I've been to, it doesn't seem like they help much. Could players becoming immune to them?


StevenHW



Joined: 25 Jul 2005
Posts: 10237
Location: Sacramento, California


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/27/12 2:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
BTW - with all the advanced statisics, etc available, does anyone know if Basketball Reference.com or the like have any stats of players FT% with and without being under Thunderstick attack? From the games I've been to, it doesn't seem like they help much. Could players becoming immune to them?


Maybe Pilight can figure this one out. Wink


Queenie



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 15767
Location: Queens


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/02/12 8:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Watching the Storm-Lynx game and seeing all those white thundersticks bopping away reminded me to bump this and beg.

We're still short Tulsa and Minnesota, and would definitely welcome long inflatable thingamabobs that get smashed together from former W cities as well. We're so close!

I can bribe you with tchochkes if necessary, or at least with a promise to post pictures of the finished living room, once we get the last two pieces of the puzzle.



_________________
We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.
uncommonclay



Joined: 14 May 2008
Posts: 1858
Location: the planet


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/02/12 8:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

can taj get a chair in the huddle please ... !


Queenie



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 15767
Location: Queens


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/11/12 4:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks to the (undoubtedly) lovely gopher5, Minnesota is in the house. (Is it an omen that we had to remove one of the Sun ones to make room?)

That just leaves Tulsa, and there's a spot in the corner yearning for it. Or for a former W city, I suppose. But Tulsa's the only city I don't have anything from. I have Miami t-shirts and Charlotte giveaways and Sacramento programs and two Cleveland jerseys, and Janeth Arcain and Astou Ndiaye-Diatta stand guard on my cable box, but I have nothing Tulsan.



_________________
We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.
Richard 77



Joined: 19 Nov 2004
Posts: 3817
Location: Lake Mills, Wisconsin


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/11/12 6:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Thanks to the (undoubtedly) lovely gopher5, Minnesota is in the house. (Is it an omen that we had to remove one of the Sun ones to make room?)

That just leaves Tulsa, and there's a spot in the corner yearning for it. Or for a former W city, I suppose. But Tulsa's the only city I don't have anything from. I have Miami t-shirts and Charlotte giveaways and Sacramento programs and two Cleveland jerseys, and Janeth Arcain and Astou Ndiaye-Diatta stand guard on my cable box, but I have nothing Tulsan.


I just checked Mapquest. I never thought about it until I read your post and wondered what the drive time was from Madison to there. Looks like about 12 hours. Hmmn ... Sounds like a destination for a three day weekend next year. Thanks for the inspiration. I could use something Tulsa as well.



_________________
If you cannot inspire yourself to read a book about women's basketball, or any book about women's sports, you cannot inspire any young girl or boy to write a book about them. http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Richardstrek
Queenie



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 15767
Location: Queens


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/15/16 12:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bumping like posts on the low block...

Welcome to the WNBA, Dallas! Did you bring thundersticks? (Or bangers, or BamBams, or whatever you regionally call those things that come in pairs and you blow them up into long tubes that you smack together to make a big noise.)

If the Wings have 'em, we'd love to acquire a set for our living room- right now we have a long and amazingly uninterrupted line of flattened ones from Atlanta, Chicago, Connecticut, Indiana, Los Angeles, Minnesota, New York, Phoenix, Portland, San Antonio, Seattle, Tulsa, and Washington, along with an All-Star one and even one from the FIBA World Championships in Turkey (shoutout to Helen for that hookup!) But we've got duplicates we'd love to swap out. (Living room needs a bit of cleaning before I post new pictures, plus a couple of more miscellaneous pieces need to go up. You're just going to have to trust me that it looks awesome.)

If you want to trade, we can trade; if you want us to pay postage, we're willing.

W fans elsewhere- it's my understanding that there have been generic WNBA Pride and WNBA Breast Health Awareness thundersticks as well, but I've never been able to lay hands on any. If you have those, they're also welcome (the Pride one would go especially well with the Liberty and Storm pride ones)



_________________
We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.
Queenie



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 15767
Location: Queens


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/22/17 6:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bumped because we're updating the decorating a little bit. Some have gotten faded from sunlight, while I've seen some nifty new designs out there.

So if there are such things as Dallas thundersticks, we'd love them to once again complete our collection. Or if anyone outside the Northeast has a set they don't know what to do with, we'll happily adopt them. (Liberty and Sun stuff I can usually get myself.) If pocket schedules are still a thing, those would be nifty too, either college or pro.

Willing to at least cover postage or possibly trade. (I have at least one extra Cappie bobblehead left.) (Seriously, the year they did that giveaway, we found two or three of them in the aisle after the game.)



_________________
We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.
Luuuc



Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 18603



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/22/17 8:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I know there's at least one team outside the Northeast that has Thunderrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrsticks



_________________
Seems rike no one takes me serirousreee
Jet Jaguar



Joined: 11 Feb 2014
Posts: 1111



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/22/17 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm sure I have some Chicago Sky ones laying around somewhere. What will you give me for them? Smile

Just looked, I have at least 2 unopened packages of them ca. 2012-2013



_________________
Oderint dum metuant - Let them hate, so long as they fear
Queenie



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 15767
Location: Queens


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/22/17 11:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jet Jaguar wrote:
I'm sure I have some Chicago Sky ones laying around somewhere. What will you give me for them? Smile

Just looked, I have at least 2 unopened packages of them ca. 2012-2013


DM me and we'll talk.



_________________
We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.
Brinx



Joined: 03 Oct 2013
Posts: 818
Location: CA


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/24/17 8:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have a pair from a Sparks game a couple seasons ago, they are still packaged, but it looks like they are white with orange writing and say "Hoops for Troops" rather than a team name. I can't drop them in the mail if you want them. Smile


Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin