RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

UConn 2017-18 Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tfan

PostPosted: 09/21/17 1:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
UConn finally has its roster picture up, and it's time for the height police to begin investigating Megan Walker, Batouly Camara, Alexis Gordon, Kyla Irwin and Napheesa Collier. Namely, is it realistic that:

- Collier and Walker are the same height (6-1)
- Camara and Irwin are the same height (6-2)
- Camara is one inch taller than Collier
- Walker is one inch taller than Gordon

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/w-baskbl/mtt/conn-w-baskbl-mtt.html

Where is Robert Ripley when you need him?

Based on this photo, if Collier is really 6-1, Camara looks 6-0 and Walker looks 5-11.

These team photos are great for seeing the extra fudging that will go on with some players heights. Would be better if they all stood though as differences in leg length makes the sitters impossible to compare. I am guessing that 32 played power forward in high school and got an extra boost because of that. Don't know why they had to boost 3 though - she is a guard/forward and is tall enough for that without an extra inch. Maybe the idea is to make her an elite guard/forward and that required some more height.

The best thing though, would to have standing reach measurements and wingspan.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 09/23/17 5:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Karen Aston pulls off the larceny of the century.

No. 2 prospect Charli Collier decommits from UConn and commits to Texas
Quote:

Declaring "home is home," she announced her decision on Twitter.

Collier . . . said she started to waiver in her decision over the past couple of months.

Collier's shocking announcement leaves UConn without a commitment for 2018, although No. 1 prospect Christyn Williams and No. 5 Olivia Nelson-Ododa both list the Huskies among their finalists.

Texas, on the other hand, is expecting a surge of signatures.
myrtle

PostPosted: 09/23/17 6:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Karen Aston pulls off the larceny of the century.

No. 2 prospect Charli Collier decommits from UConn and commits to Texas
Quote:

Declaring "home is home," she announced her decision on Twitter.

Collier . . . said she started to waiver in her decision over the past couple of months.

Collier's shocking announcement leaves UConn without a commitment for 2018, although No. 1 prospect Christyn Williams and No. 5 Olivia Nelson-Ododa both list the Huskies among their finalists.

Texas, on the other hand, is expecting a surge of signatures.

Texas has quite a good recruiting class coming in. Guess Aston is doing something 'right'. Collier sounds like a nice kid, just reorganizing her priorities. Probably losing her Dad and the hurricane contributed to a feeling that closer to home was preferable. Understandable.

- Amanda Gorman
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 09/23/17 8:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mike Flynn of Blue Star Basketball, who's been ranking high school players since the 1970's and also running the Philly Belles AAU team and basketball camps, has written a blog post on the Charli Collier de-re-commitment. It begins in a neutral and factual way, but ends with some rather provocative comments about UConn recruiting losses, Geno Auriemma and USA Basketball.

Quote:
The most notable player to leave UConn is WNBA and 2016 USA Basketball Olympic team member Elena Della Donne of the Washington Mystics who left after a brief summer school stay for the University of Delaware. While her detachment from UConn didn’t impact her making this past Olympic team it’s well known the pressure to leave comes with the inference that any future with USA Basketball could be [in] doubt as witnessed by long-time WNBA and Euro stars Candace Parker (Tennessee-LA Sparks) and Crystal Langhorne (Maryland-Seattle Storm) stories.

Collier, who previously made the 2016 silver medal USA Basketball U17 team, did not make this year’s USAB U19 or U23 teams. With the move from UConn and Geno Auriemma on the USAB Women’s Committees it will be up to Collier to overcome any possible retribution or backlash in the future.

Is he serious? If so, is any of this likely to be true?
tfan

PostPosted: 09/23/17 10:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Mike Flynn of Blue Star Basketball, who's been ranking high school players since the 1970's and also running the Philly Belles AAU team and basketball camps, has written a blog post on the Charli Collier de-re-commitment. It begins in a neutral and factual way, but ends with some rather provocative comments about UConn recruiting losses, Geno Auriemma and USA Basketball.

Quote:
The most notable player to leave UConn is WNBA and 2016 USA Basketball Olympic team member Elena Della Donne of the Washington Mystics who left after a brief summer school stay for the University of Delaware. While her detachment from UConn didn’t impact her making this past Olympic team it’s well known the pressure to leave comes with the inference that any future with USA Basketball could be [in] doubt as witnessed by long-time WNBA and Euro stars Candace Parker (Tennessee-LA Sparks) and Crystal Langhorne (Maryland-Seattle Storm) stories.

Collier, who previously made the 2016 silver medal USA Basketball U17 team, did not make this year’s USAB U19 or U23 teams. With the move from UConn and Geno Auriemma on the USAB Women’s Committees it will be up to Collier to overcome any possible retribution or backlash in the future.

Is he serious? If so, is any of this likely to be true?

The selection of Cash and Jones in 2012 shows that Auriemma will give extra weight to "my guys". But he isn't coaching now. Maybe he will carry more weight than Staley, but only if the others on the committee defer to him as a peer. They won't be deferring to him as a coach anymore.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 09/24/17 9:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
Name the opening game starters.

The starters for Stanford:

Stevens Collier Williams Samuelson & Nurse. But remember that two starters were replaced after UConn's last game vs the Trees.

That seems to be the logical 5, but there is minimal ball-handling ability, imo. Of course, UConn rarely dribbles anyway.

The good news is, there will always be starter talent on the bench this year.

PostPosted: 09/24/17 3:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No accurate. Uconn passes because that is the right way to play, they have players who can handle as good as anyone, they are just smarter and don't dribble the air and open looks out of the ball.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 09/24/17 5:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Of course. They always have great ballhandlers. What was I thinking.

PostPosted: 09/24/17 8:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
Of course. They always have great ballhandlers. What was I thinking.

There was, of memorable course, the Dark Ages -- when, among other failures, UConn couldn't get the ball up court against Viv Stringer's feared 55 press. Geno simply couldn't coach an effective press break against it. He tried the three dribbling dwarfs tactic, but it didn't work. What often worked best was for Charde Houston -- Charde Houston!!! -- to dribble by herself all the way up court.

If Charde Houston was a good enough dribbler against the once legendary 55, the five starters proposed above can pound the rock on the maple well enough.
cthskzfn

PostPosted: 09/24/17 10:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CViv famously didn't guard the inbounder after the pass, and Charde was off to the races.

The minimal ball-handling ability I speak of, when Nurse is the only guard, probably won't have an effect on more than a few games. Wonderfully, there's a future AA pg at Geno's disposal.

PostPosted: 09/25/17 9:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So dramatic. Nurse is not the only guard. And if that was your yardstick, it would be wrong. Dangerfield according to Geno in Italy still struggling as was Stevens so let's hope they both can settle down.

dtbtbtb

PostPosted: 09/25/17 3:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

KLS brought the ball up court for team USA...

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 09/25/17 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
bballjunkie wrote:
Good call Glenn

Hopefully Stevens rep that she can shoot 3s will try to keep the D honest but from the Italy trip she will need to show effort and D. I think she will help in the passing department, so we will have 3 i.e. KLS, Gabby along with Stevens who can feed the post and see cuts and pops.

I think where Stevens will have the most impact is against the likes of Baylor, Mississippi State and any other teams with a tall center...but not for her, but not just for her. Azura's ability to roam around the perimeter will bring someone like McCowan or Brown away from the basket. But, the really wonderful thing about that is that that person won't be guarding Williams in the high post. I thought McCowan guarding Gabby at the FT line in the FF is what cost us the game. She couldn't see or pass around her to Collier. This wreaked havoc on the offensive game plan for UCONN. Now, Gabby can pass, shoot the FT line jumper or blow by any defender, big or small for layups.

Agreed this is what makes the texas matchup so interesting. Joyner vs Stevens or Boothe Vs Stevens shall be one too see.

PostPosted: 09/25/17 6:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

6'6 Stevens is listed as a F/G, not really seeing her as a center, or really locking up the paint like some people think.

1 Kia, 2 Lou, 3 Z, 4 Collier, 5 Williams is how I think the team will line up.
cthskzfn

PostPosted: 09/25/17 8:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
So dramatic. Nurse is not the only guard. And if that was your yardstick, it would be wrong. Dangerfield according to Geno in Italy still struggling as was Stevens so let's hope they both can settle down.

Your "they have players who can handle as good as anyone, they are just smarter" is the very stuff of drama, imo, and thankfully, Nurse isn't the only guard.

PostPosted: 09/26/17 12:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
6'6 Stevens is listed as a F/G, not really seeing her as a center, or really locking up the paint like some people think.

I hope not. It might make a dent in Gabby's draft stock. Evaluators will want to see her skills in the position she'll play in the WNBA. If they can't see that, she more likely becomes a project and a bigger risk.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
cthskzfn

PostPosted: 09/26/17 7:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

I hope not. It might make a dent in Gabby's draft stock. Evaluators will want to see her skills in the position she'll play in the WNBA. If they can't see that, she more likely becomes a project and a bigger risk.

UConn's talent is widespread, but unusual in terms of size/pos/game. It will be interesting to watch how it plays out.

PostPosted: 09/26/17 9:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

True, but in the end, draft stock is not as important as professional performance. Regardless of where she's picked, if she can perform at the WNBA level, she'll find a home there; if not, she'll ahve to settle for making some money in Europe.

PostPosted: 09/26/17 10:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

_________X more of a stretch 4 , i cant see her as a center neither !

PostPosted: 09/26/17 11:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nope, their record speaks for itself. And my comments were less general and doomsday than yours. (That was in reply to above sorry )

It takes time for players to work on their game in live situations. Lots and lots of reps. Hopefully, they will see her athletic potential as a real plus and the ability to pass cannot be overlooked.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 09/26/17 1:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
Nope, their record speaks for itself. And my comments were less general and doomsday than yours. (That was in reply to above sorry )

It takes time for players to work on their game in live situations. Lots and lots of reps. Hopefully, they will see her athletic potential as a real plus and the ability to pass cannot be overlooked.

If you're referring to me, please either quote me, or make it clear. Thanks.

I don't think you were, though, since there is no "doomsday" in my post.

PostPosted: 10/07/17 10:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm beginning to think UCONN will not lose a game this year.

PostPosted: 10/09/17 11:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

I've thought that since the beginning of last season.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 10/14/17 7:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

I've thought that since the beginning of last season.

I don't see how.

PostPosted: 10/19/17 3:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ezi Magbegor

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-uQ8Z_zhyJc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

She says whether she stays in Australia or goes to the U.S. "depends on whether I get offered a scholarship to the school in America I want to go to."

?????????? Rumors, please.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/f7yn4o4XhKM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: