RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

LA Sparks White House visit?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmpenn90

PostPosted: 09/23/17 1:35 pm    ::: LA Sparks White House visit? Reply Reply with quote

With the latest controversy over Steph Curry saying he didn't want to go to the WH so Trump disinvited him I was wondering what happened with the Sparks. I found the following article and I remember reading it at the time where they got a letter from Obama before he left office. In the article at the end it says that they don't know if the Trump WH would invite them and I'm not sure if they would go. Does anyone know if they got invited and turned it down or didn't get invited? Hopefully I didn't open a can of worms with the topic since it has to do with politics. Thanks!

http://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/18514647/president-obama-pens-congratulatory-letter-los-angeles-sparks

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/23/17 1:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My guess is that the White House basically knew they'd turn it down, so quietly didn't invite them. It just would've led to a quieter version of the brouhaha that's going on with Curry now (because far fewer people care about the WNBA), but with the added element of women being involved. Doubt the drama was worth it on either side.

Considering it's all come up again right now though, the players might well be asked about it this week. And get to say they wouldn't go even though they probably weren't invited.

PostPosted: 09/23/17 2:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Trump was never going to invite them

PostPosted: 09/23/17 2:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
My guess is that the White House basically knew they'd turn it down, so quietly didn't invite them. It just would've led to a quieter version of the brouhaha that's going on with Curry now (because far fewer people care about the WNBA), but with the added element of women being involved. Doubt the drama was worth it on either side.

Considering it's all come up again right now though, the players might well be asked about it this week. And get to say they wouldn't go even though they probably weren't invited.

Thanks! That is what I was thinking. They also probably didn't like that Obama already sent a note and that they tried to go before he left.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 09/23/17 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

I have no information, but I'd say this is an excellent guess.

PostPosted: 09/23/17 3:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I doubt any teams visit the White House during #45's run.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Genero36

PostPosted: 09/23/17 3:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PostPosted: 09/23/17 4:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UNC declining invitation now

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight

PostPosted: 09/23/17 4:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's going to look really bad when Olympic Medalists start refusing invitations.

Trump is reacting to the protests with the same knee jerks as always: calling names and spewing vulgarities.

PostPosted: 09/23/17 6:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Obama should offer an invitation to these teams at his place. How freaking great would that be?

PostPosted: 09/23/17 7:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
I think Obama should offer an invitation to these teams at his place. How freaking great would that be?

That would be awesome

stever

PostPosted: 09/23/17 9:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 09/23/17 9:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:

Great. Thanks for posting this.

PostPosted: 09/23/17 10:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Didn't Delle Donne have her own tweeting controversy?

Mysticsfan12

PostPosted: 09/24/17 12:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Yes, but that was a much smaller scale. And, she's not president.

PostPosted: 09/24/17 1:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Or athletes could simply stick to being athletes and not interject politics into the game. Doing so comes with serious dangers. Most people tuning in to sporting events are not interested in watching a cause. Quite the contrary. No debating we have a serious divide in the US right now. Should any league risk alienating 1/2 of its potential market? Probably not. When Lynx incident occurred Glenn Taylor (who is probably the most supportive owner in the league) warned them to cease immediately, which they did. The NFL is having serious ratings issues right now as well. There are several factors in play, but politics is certainly one of them. A word of caution to all athletes: Tread carefully on this minefield.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 09/24/17 2:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A word of thanks to athletes: That they are willing to jeopardise their own incomes for the sake of bigger, more important issues, only increases my respect for them. They have access to a platform, and they're willing to use it. Treading carefully is not needed when the cause is simply equality. Treading carefully has got too many people nowhere for too long. I'm loving the real talk.

PostPosted: 09/24/17 2:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

josephkramer44 wrote:
Or athletes could simply stick to being athletes and not interject politics into the game. Doing so comes with serious dangers. Most people tuning in to sporting events are not interested in watching a cause. Quite the contrary. No debating we have a serious divide in the US right now. Should any league risk alienating 1/2 of its potential market? Probably not. When Lynx incident occurred Glenn Taylor (who is probably the most supportive owner in the league) warned them to cease immediately, which they did. The NFL is having serious ratings issues right now as well. There are several factors in play, but politics is certainly one of them. A word of caution to all athletes: Tread carefully on this minefield.

Sorry, but no. When you have a platform to make a difference, you have a moral imperative to use it when you see things that are reprehensible. Being on the stage that they are comes with a ton of scrutiny and invasion of their privacy. They are not allowed to live a life as private as we are. So how shitty is it for us to demand that this only go one way? That we alone get to choose when to expand this relationship outside of sports/tv/movies.

As far as whether or not the protests are acceptable while the employees are on the clock, that is between the employer and the employee. Why should we be the ones concerned about their ratings? That is the league's prerogative and they can do as they see fit. Really what people are saying when they pretend that they care about the NFL's ratings is, "Well, I don't like what they are doing, so I'm going to draw some weak correlations to show that the league should put an end to it".

And you are mistaken about Glen Taylor. He was given a heads up about the player's actions before hand and did not stand in their way. The league released a statement saying that they would fine any players who were out of uniform in the future, but would not issue a fine for the Lynx doing it that once. As a team they agreed that their statement had been made and that they didn't want to press the league's forbearance. Taylor stayed out of it.

I have never been prouder of my Lynx, than I was when they took that stand.

PostPosted: 09/24/17 3:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

josephkramer44 wrote:

newflash everything on television is having ratings issues...

Shades

PostPosted: 09/24/17 8:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mysticsfan12 wrote:
Shades wrote:

Yes, but that was a much smaller scale. And, she's not president.

Thank goodness she's not the President. I'm just saying she's not exactly the best rep for how to use twitter. Weren't there other WNBA players who spoke out?

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 09/24/17 8:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

josephkramer44 wrote:

The NFL will be around a lot longer than Donald Trump. They have nothing to worry about. I'm was never an NFL fan but I am now.

Aladyyn

PostPosted: 09/24/17 8:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Yea but that was about shoes, not racism...

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 09/24/17 8:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
josephkramer44 wrote:

Sorry, but no. When you have a platform to make a difference, you have a moral imperative to use it when you see things that are reprehensible. Being on the stage that they are comes with a ton of scrutiny and invasion of their privacy. They are not allowed to live a life as private as we are. So how shitty is it for us to demand that this only go one way? That we alone get to choose when to expand this relationship outside of sports/tv/movies.

As far as whether or not the protests are acceptable while the employees are on the clock, that is between the employer and the employee. Why should we be the ones concerned about their ratings? That is the league's prerogative and they can do as they see fit. Really what people are saying when they pretend that they care about the NFL's ratings is, "Well, I don't like what they are doing, so I'm going to draw some weak correlations to show that the league should put an end to it".

And you are mistaken about Glen Taylor. He was given a heads up about the player's actions before hand and did not stand in their way. The league released a statement saying that they would fine any players who were out of uniform in the future, but would not issue a fine for the Lynx doing it that once. As a team they agreed that their statement had been made and that they didn't want to press the league's forbearance. Taylor stayed out of it.

I have never been prouder of my Lynx, than I was when they took that stand.

Well said, justintyme. As a fan of the Liberty, I felt proud of the way our players showed their support for Black Lives Matter and the same for WNBA players from other teams. Of course it's great when athletes, actors, musicians, and others in the public eye use their platform to stand for social justice.

As for the NFL, wow, are we supposed to worry that the NFL might fold because of these protests? (Or the NBA?) Is the NFL in danger of losing all its TV contracts? Are huge numbers of fans going to boycott today's NFL games and in the future because the racist fool in the White House says they should? Smile

Last edited by Bob Lamm on 09/24/17 9:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Shades

PostPosted: 09/24/17 8:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DC mayor invites Golden State Warriors to city

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/352094-dc-mayor-invites-golden-state-warriors-to-city

Quote:
D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser invited the Golden State Warriors to visit the city, just hours after the team said they wouldn't visit the White House because President Trump disinvited one of their star players.

"While you're here, Warriors, we are happy to identify ways for you to celebrate equality, diversity, and inclusion - what we call DC values," Bowser said in a statement Saturday.

"And if anyone ever tells you that you cannot come to DC, tell them Mayor Bowser invited you."

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 09/24/17 9:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's already begun today (Sunday) because in an NFL game in London two dozen NFL players protested during the U.S. national anthem. Hundreds more will as today continues:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/ct-nfl-national-anthem-kneeling-20170924-story.html

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: