RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Connecticut Sun 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
myrtle

PostPosted: 09/22/17 8:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shades, sometimes you are like a bulldog. Just grab on and shake and shake.

Hindsight really is better than foresight. I guess I can crow that I voted JJ as the second best player behind Stewie in that class but really how many people actually thought that? And although I thought it was not a great move to take Tuck at #3, when she's been healthy she's performed better than I thought she would. Overall I think Miller/Sienko or whoever pulled the trigger on those moves: Banham, Tuck, JJ, and CWilliams did a pretty good job. Perfect? Maybe not, but pretty damn good and now they have a very nice young group to work with for years to come. I've yet to see perfect from a GM/Coach so were I a Sun fan, I would be happy to see what they did do rather than poke and prod about maybe making one mistake in five. I look forward to seeing what a healthy Sun team can do...and I hope they do come back healthy.

- Amanda Gorman
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 09/23/17 10:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's not hard to see that if you pay dearly for a worthy item that you could have had not once, but twice, for free, you fucked up.

Last edited by cthskzfn on 09/23/17 12:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
RavenDog

PostPosted: 09/23/17 11:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
RavenDog wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
RavenDog wrote:
Miller/Sienko needlessly traded away Chelsea Gray to get Jonquel Jones when he could of and should of drafted J Jones with the third or fourth pick in the Draft. He would of had both along with maybe Aerial Powers or Williams.

No, he foolishly gambled on the chronically injured Morgan Tuck and a questionable and yet to produce Banham.

Just think what Connecticut could of done without him... Embarassed

Always amazed at how fast everyone forgets how bad Gray's knee history has been. I'm really happy for her that she's been healthy, but to forget about it is ridiculous.

Who forgot? It sure as Hell wasn't Agler. Do you really think Agler would have traded away Jonquel Jones for a player with an injured knee on a hunch? This would be ridiculous.

You think Connecticut would've drafted another guard and traded Gray if they thought it would be all right? There's two sides to everything.

If this was in fact the circumstances then you're saying that Miller was underhanded and dishonest and Agler was careless, easily fooled and wasn't able to judge the talent he had in Jonquel Jones. Let's face it: Miller screwed up on judging the abilities of C. Gray, J. Jones, Tuck and Banham and many people thought firmly so at the time Miller made those decisions.

Basically, Miller's/Sienko's decisions were Tori Jankoska and Evelyn Shaqator moments and they sometimes can cost a franchise 10 plus years of excellent service, as you know.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/23/17 12:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe they should've utilised those #3/#4 picks better. Maybe they shouldn't have given up two significant assets for the #6 pick, to get someone they could've taken at 3 or 4. But ultimately they did make the moves to acquire Jones - who virtually no one thought would be as good as she's become; and then eventually Williams as well - who was invisible on the end of Phoenix's bench. There were obviously elements of the process that weren't perfect, but they do still deserve credit for the parts that worked.

On a separate note, that Executive of the Year award for Miller is even more hilarious considering Sienko was officially the GM when every important piece was acquired.

PostPosted: 09/23/17 1:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:

If this was in fact the circumstances then you're saying that Miller was underhanded and dishonest and Agler was careless, easily fooled and wasn't able to judge the talent he had in Jonquel Jones. Let's face it: Miller screwed up on judging the abilities of C. Gray, J. Jones, Tuck and Banham and many people thought firmly so at the time Miller made those decisions.

Basically, Miller's/Sienko's decisions were Tori Jankoska and Evelyn Shaqator moments and they sometimes can cost a franchise 10 plus years of excellent service, as you know.

There's no guarantee that Agler would have picked JJones at #6. The deal for the #6 pick was negotiated during the Sparks 3:00 clock time. Since Agler seemed to be looking for a guard, he could have chosen #7 pick Copper, #8 pick CWilliams, or #9 pick TMitchell.... or whoever else.

It's ironic that you chose Shaqator as an example of a flubbed draft pick, since Miller was high on her so much so as to disparage "the basement" for not being high on her. Who knows, maybe Miller could and would have picked Shaqator, had he not traded his first round pick in 2017 in the JJones deal.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
toad455

PostPosted: 09/23/17 2:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With Parker, Ogwumike & Lavender; J. Jones would have gotten as many minutes as Jackson-Jones did this season. We all know Agler don't like rookies.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Davis4632

PostPosted: 09/23/17 8:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=85609&start=1200&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=2016+wnba+draft

With the exception of the preseason mock draft, Zune69 was the only one I saw that had J. Jones going 4th to the Sun. The experts and basement dwellers had her going from 5th to 11th.
Tuck with a couple of exceptions was 3rd in most of the mock drafts after she declared to go pro.

pilight

PostPosted: 09/23/17 9:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis4632 wrote:

http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=85609&start=1200&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=2016+wnba+draft

With the exception of the preseason mock draft, Zune69 was the only one I saw that had J. Jones going 4th to the Sun. The experts and basement dwellers had her going from 5th to 11th.
Tuck with a couple of exceptions was 3rd in most of the mock drafts after she declared to go pro.

Mock drafts are usually trying to predict what will happen rather than what should happen. I expected Tuck to go third even though I never thought she was the third best player in the draft.

PostPosted: 10/31/17 4:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Alyssa Thomas with a near quadruple double in her first game in South Korea.

20 pts, 16 reb, 6 ast 10 stl, 2 blk

I wonder if Curt Miller's coaching will get credit for this. Surprised

bballgrl

PostPosted: 10/31/17 4:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Alyssa Thomas with a near quadruple double in her first game in South Korea.

20 pts, 16 reb, 6 ast 10 stl, 2 blk

I wonder if Curt Miller's coaching will get credit for this. Surprised

That is quite impressive! Go Alyssa. my home town girl. Pleased that she is representing Harrisburg. Pa.

Shades

PostPosted: 11/21/17 4:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chiney Ogwumike stat line in China

56 pts (23-25, 0-1 3P, 10-11 FT), 12 reb, 0 ast, 3 TO, 1 stl in 36:49

Nerd2

PostPosted: 11/21/17 6:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Henan isn't fielding a team this year. The stat line @coachrookie posted was from last year. That's why her achilles injury was so upsetting - she was playing amazing ball. Chiney is currently hanging out in the Mohegan Sun Gingerbread House.

Wiseone1

PostPosted: 11/21/17 7:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

What team? Don't see her listed on a current roster . Standings show Stewart and Kizer as League Scoring Leaders.

Nerd2

PostPosted: 11/21/17 7:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The tweet about Chiney, btw, was in reference to Jonquel Jones' tweet that after her 28p/24r game, the coach said in the next film session that it was "not a good performance." Chinese coaches believe in tough love.

Nerd2

PostPosted: 11/21/17 7:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wiseone1 wrote:
Shades wrote:

What team? Don't see her listed on a current roster . Standings show Stewart and Kizer as League Scoring Leaders.

It was a post from last year. This year, it's "Jonker Jones," "Stuart," "Morgan Tucker," and "Lynn Kiezer" at the top. At least, that's what Google Translate is telling me.

Shades

PostPosted: 12/12/17 9:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tuck must be feeling good.

45 pts (18-32, 8-14 3P, 1-3 FT), 13 reb, 4 ast, 1 blk in 40 min in the Chinese league.

willtalk

PostPosted: 12/13/17 12:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
RavenDog wrote:
Miller/Sienko needlessly traded away Chelsea Gray to get Jonquel Jones when he could of and should of drafted J Jones with the third or fourth pick in the Draft. He would of had both along with maybe Aerial Powers or Williams.

No, he foolishly gambled on the chronically injured Morgan Tuck and a questionable and yet to produce Banham.

Just think what Connecticut could of done without him... Embarassed

Always amazed at how fast everyone forgets how bad Gray's knee history has been. I'm really happy for her that she's been healthy, but to forget about it is ridiculous.
Actually Chelsea Gray has been relatively injury free throughout her career. Her injury in her junior year was centered around the knee cap. That is not a common injury. In her senior year it was the same kneecap and was obviously caused by an uncorrected issue of the first operation.. One issue! Tuck, on the other hands, had ACL issues all the way back to mid high school. That can be defined as chronic. She herself even stated she didn't know how long she could play on her repaired knee's. I don't think that their histories can be labeled as the same.

It seems evident that the Sun picking Tuck was based more on keeping the cross over Uconn fans happy than it was a pick based on need which they had the next pick to utilize that for. Health/ talent tradeoff wise that was a very risky pick at #3. They also must not have valued the subsequent players that highly or they would not have made that pick.

Randy

PostPosted: 12/13/17 8:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NVM

stever

PostPosted: 01/09/18 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Sun’s Miller enjoying offseason routine

http://www.norwichbulletin.com/sports/20180108/suns-miller-enjoying-offseason-routine

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 01/09/18 12:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
Quote:

http://www.norwichbulletin.com/sports/20180108/suns-miller-enjoying-offseason-routine

“It’s not uncommon for me around 7 p.m. at night to have two computers open and the television on, watching 2-3 games a night,” Miller said. “That’s almost a seven day a week routine for me.”

Good to see he is scouting.

His biggest challenge, however, is integrating Chiney Ogwumike back into the lineup when Alyssa Thomas sliding over to the four (and being a secondary playmaker) worked so well for a relatively young team last year.

Randy

PostPosted: 01/09/18 12:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
stever wrote:
Quote:

“It’s not uncommon for me around 7 p.m. at night to have two computers open and the television on, watching 2-3 games a night,” Miller said. “That’s almost a seven day a week routine for me.”

Welcome to our world Curt. I certainly hope your computers aren't in your basement...... Razz

Shades

PostPosted: 01/09/18 1:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:

Quote:
t’s the dead of winter. That doesn’t mean that Connecticut Sun coach and general manager Curt Miller is taking it easy, relaxing on an island somewhere.

Sounds like that hypocrite is more about the basement life than anybody here.

Quote:
Miller said the FIBA World Championship will likely again keep Torrens at home in 2018 and Romero, drafted by the Sun last season out of Florida State and a fellow Spaniard, will also likely take a rain check.

Hmm... I wonder where he got the idea to lure Torrens over with a fellow national team member? Although drafting Romero was a cheaper way to try to do it, it's also less effective since Romero is not prominent on the Spanish national team compared to say Anna Cruz.

Quote:
“We have never stopped talking about the opportunity for Alba to play in the WNBA at some point before her career is over (she is 28 years-old).

Yep, for the whole 2 years he's been there. I wonder if that's a royal "We" or is he bouncing things off of Amber Cox, the Maven of Tanking. Dilly, dilly!

The article talks about Chiney Ogwumike making good progress on her rehab, and how Alyssa Thomas is looking forward to building on last year's performance, but it avoids talking about the obvious question on how he's going to work them both into the starting lineup. I'm guessing he's not sure about that yet but is looking to stumble into whatever works, just like last year.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 01/09/18 1:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow Shades, could you be just a little nastier and bitter in your assessment?

No axe to grind there.... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

ClayK

PostPosted: 01/09/18 2:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Couldn't agree more ... maybe the coffee was decaf instead of regular.

PostPosted: 01/09/18 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 3 of 13

Jump to: