RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Connecticut Sun 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tfan

PostPosted: 09/12/17 7:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FR_b_KeHOQQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

lynxmania

PostPosted: 09/19/17 5:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Miller Receives Contract Extension

Quote:
The Connecticut Sun announced today that head coach and general manager Curt Miller has been signed to a contract extension through the 2021 season.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/19/17 7:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I know he's done well this year but that's a remarkably long extension, especially for someone with a limited track record. Decent odds they fire him before the end of it, or at least want to and only decide against it to save cash.

PostPosted: 09/20/17 9:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Contract extensions are nice, but unless there's some guaranteed money involved, they're pretty meaningless.

PostPosted: 09/20/17 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
I know he's done well this year but that's a remarkably long extension, especially for someone with a limited track record. Decent odds they fire him before the end of it, or at least want to and only decide against it to save cash.

Lol why would they fire him? It's only a 4 yr extension. He's shown he is a great coach and well liked by his players. And um, he won COY and took the team to its best record since 2012 and first playoffs in 4 years. Sometimes you people crack me up with this nonsense. Not to mention all of the 'trade Chiney' treads/posts. Rolling Eyes Laughing

I want some of what you guys are on.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 09/20/17 6:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Lol why would they fire him? It's only a 4 yr extension. He's shown he is a great coach and well liked by his players. And um, he won COY and took the team to its best record since 2012 and first playoffs in 4 years. Sometimes you people crack me up with this nonsense. Not to mention all of the 'trade Chiney' treads/posts. Rolling Eyes Laughing

You might want to take a look back at the history of coaches who have won COY. It doesn't provide some sort of magic job security.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 09/21/17 7:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
ClayK wrote:
Even if Chiney loses 25% of her production, she's still better than most of the top three picks in the past five years -- and in general, history suggests that trading for a top three choice isn't really a good move, given their success lately. It makes more sense to trade for a proven lower pick, such as Achonwa or Clarendon.

Forget about trading for lottery picks and focus on #9 picks?

I'm sure Indy fans would be anonymously on board with a Ogwumike for Achonwa trade. Surprised

Indy would shut the city down and party for a year, if this trade went through. Pokey would quit chewing gum. They'd cancel the Indy 500.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 09/21/17 7:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

You might want to take a look back at the history of coaches who have won COY. It doesn't provide some sort of magic job security.

COY = Jonquel Jones

myrtle

PostPosted: 09/21/17 11:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

COY = Jonquel Jones

and who brought her in?

- Amanda Gorman
Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/21/17 11:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
and who brought her in?

Officially Chris Sienko, I believe.

PostPosted: 09/21/17 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Miller/Sienko needlessly traded away Chelsea Gray to get Jonquel Jones when he could of and should of drafted J Jones with the third or fourth pick in the Draft. He would of had both along with maybe Aerial Powers or Williams.

No, he foolishly gambled on the chronically injured Morgan Tuck and a questionable and yet to produce Banham.

Just think what Connecticut could of done without him... Embarassed

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 09/22/17 9:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
Miller/Sienko needlessly traded away Chelsea Gray to get Jonquel Jones when he could of and should of drafted J Jones with the third or fourth pick in the Draft. He would of had both along with maybe Aerial Powers or Williams.

No, he foolishly gambled on the chronically injured Morgan Tuck and a questionable and yet to produce Banham.

Seinko has always been brain dead. Making bone headed draft choices/trades his entire time with the Sun. As for the Chelsea Gray thing, maybe she was another player who didn't want to be there ala Kelsey Bone/Camille Little. Who knows. Plus, she didn't show much promise when she was with the Sun. I agree the Sun should have never drafted Tuck and Banham. Especially Banham who has been injury free all season and has been useless. At least Tuck started out playing great at the beginning of the season, but then suffered a bone bruise in her other knee. Had she been injury free all season, I believe Tuck would have produced a lot better. Hopefully she comes back next season playing like the player we know she can be.

Banham is a shooter who can't shoot. Send her to Minnesota for Maya Moore.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 09/22/17 9:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:

Always amazed at how fast everyone forgets how bad Gray's knee history has been. I'm really happy for her that she's been healthy, but to forget about it is ridiculous.

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 09/22/17 9:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
RavenDog wrote:

Always amazed at how fast everyone forgets how bad Gray's knee history has been. I'm really happy for her that she's been healthy, but to forget about it is ridiculous.

Exactly. She wouldn't have fit in with Miller's super fast uptempo style anyways. She's slow. Good but slow. She fits in perfectly with the Sparks slower style

Aladyyn

PostPosted: 09/22/17 9:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
RavenDog wrote:

In an alternate reality the same post is blaming them for drafting an injury prone Chelsea Gray as the Sun stumble in the standings again.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/22/17 11:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:

It's not only Chelsea Gray he traded for JJones. He traded away their first round pick in 2017, which turned out to be a lottery pick (#4) in which LAS traded for Sims and #11 in 2017 (Wiese).

So JJones turned out to be the equivalent of 25% of the Sparks Finals-worthy roster.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
dtsnms

PostPosted: 09/22/17 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
RavenDog wrote:

It's not only Chelsea Gray he traded for JJones. He traded away their first round pick in 2017, which turned out to be a lottery pick (#4) in which LAS traded for Sims and #11 in 2017 (Wiese).

So JJones turned out to be the equivalent of 25% of the Sparks Finals-worthy roster.

Sorry Shades, as much as you hate Miller, he can't control what Dallas does; I'd do the trade to get the most versatile 6'6 player in the league again in a heartbeat.

but a nice try nonetheless.

Last edited by dtsnms on 09/22/17 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total
dtsnms

PostPosted: 09/22/17 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
RavenDog wrote:

In an alternate reality the same post is blaming them for drafting an injury prone Chelsea Gray as the Sun stumble in the standings again.

Huh? Nope, I thought drafting Gray was great there. Don't know where you're coming up with that.

Davis4632

PostPosted: 09/22/17 1:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:

I

Drafting Tuck was more about the narrative of picking the 3rd player from a team that won that won 4 NCs in a row.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/22/17 1:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Shades wrote:
RavenDog wrote:

Sorry Shades, as much as you hate Miller

You try to project it as hate, when it's just trade evaluation and clarification of the trade. Richyyy echoes a lot of the same things I say about Miller, but you don't accuse him of hate. You don't even confront him like you do with me. I wonder why? Who hates who?

dtsnms wrote:
he can't control what Dallas does

I guess he can't control what he does either.
I guess he felt Gray was a health risk.
I guess he felt that first round pick in 2017 surely wouldn't be a valuable lottery pick.
I guess he was wrong.

The funny thing is he's more likely to admit he's made mistakes than you are.

dtsnms wrote:
I'd do the trade to get the most versatile 6'6 player in the league again in a heartbeat.

What most people have pointed out is the trade didn't need to be made. If you value JJones so much, just draft JJones at #3 or #4, and keep Gray and #4 in 2017 and only be down Tuck or Banham. It's pretty clear he valued both Tuck and Banham more than JJones or the package he sent to the Sparks.

For you to say "you'd do the trade again in a heartbeat" sounds like even with the benefit of hindsight, you'd repeat everything Miller did on draft night 2016. I would expect even Miller would laugh at that notion.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 09/22/17 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
RavenDog wrote:

Who forgot? It sure as Hell wasn't Agler. Do you really think Agler would have traded away Jonquel Jones for a player with an injured knee on a hunch? This would be ridiculous.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 09/22/17 2:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
RavenDog wrote:

Who forgot? It sure as Hell wasn't Agler. Do you really think Agler would have traded away Jonquel Jones for a player with an injured knee on a hunch? This would be ridiculous.

You think Connecticut would've drafted another guard and traded Gray if they thought it would be all right? There's two sides to everything.

justinabina

PostPosted: 09/22/17 4:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
Shades wrote:
RavenDog wrote:

You try to project it as hate, when it's just trade evaluation and clarification of the trade. Richyyy echoes a lot of the same things I say about Miller, but you don't accuse him of hate. You don't even confront him like you do with me. I wonder why? Who hates who?

I haven’t read any post by Richyyy indicating, for example, that Miller might be insecure. In general, I’ve found Richyyy’s posts informative, focused on facts, and absent of strongly biased feelings or defensiveness.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 09/22/17 4:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justinabina wrote:
Shades wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
Shades wrote:
RavenDog wrote:

I haven’t read any post by Richyyy indicating, for example, that Miller might be insecure. In general, I’ve found Richyyy’s posts informative, focused on facts, and absent of strongly biased feelings or defensiveness.

X______________________

BTW, I said I'd make the trade again, at the time, and under the same circumstances.

I never defended the choices that were made of Tuck or Banham. In fact, I have said I wanted Courtney Williams in that number four slot.

If you want to believe Shades' mindset, I'm also sure when Miller and Sienko discussed the trade, they said "Hmm, let's trade next year's pick because then Dallas will unload Odyssey Sims who they can't get anyone else to take, on LA, and she will have a career resurgence under Agler for that pick."

It's wonderful to look at trades in hindsight isn't it? I say again, I'd make that trade in a heartbeat.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/22/17 5:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:

BTW, I said I'd make the trade again, at the time, and under the same circumstances.

Well again, it doesn't make sense that you would do the trade again unless you're talking about looking at it in hindsight and you would still make the same trade. If you don't understand that could have drafted JJones instead of trading a lot for her, then you'd be making the same mistake.

dtsnms wrote:
I never defended the choices that were made of Tuck or Banham. In fact, I have said I wanted Courtney Williams in that number four slot.

What? Criticism of Miller? Better hope he doesn't see this. It might crush his spirit. He might think you're a hater. But seeing that he traded Bone for Williams, a player you say you liked, you guys can probably hug it out.

dtsnms wrote:
If you want to believe Shades' mindset, I'm also sure when Miller and Sienko discussed the trade, they said "Hmm, let's trade next year's pick because then Dallas will unload Odyssey Sims who they can't get anyone else to take, on LA, and she will have a career resurgence under Agler for that pick."

No, that's your mindset. I just wanted to clarify that JJones cost more than just Chelsea Gray. I guess Miller had no reason to believe that the 2016 season would turn out as badly as it did, but that's the reality. It was kind of a repeat of Thibault in 2010.

dtsnms wrote:
It's wonderful to look at trades in hindsight isn't it? I say again, I'd make that trade in a heartbeat.

I said it was hindsight, but that's how trades get evaluated. How did Cooper's trade of his first round pick get evaluated?

You're also using hindsight in your evaluation of JJones, and saying you'd do the trade again. Let's see your predraft analysis of JJones.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 2 of 13

Jump to: