17%
 17%  [ 14 ]
Sparks in 5
27%
 27%  [ 22 ]
Total Votes : 79

zune69

PostPosted: 09/19/17 6:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Change my vote from LA in 4 to pick'em.....The backcourt matchups will decide this series.Sims/Gray are playing great,but Augustus/Whalen are well rested.

LynxFan32

PostPosted: 09/19/17 7:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think that will be the key is what team can stay out of foul trouble. My guess is Nneka might be in foul trouble trying to guard fowles...also CP playing well in the semifinals also had a lot to do with phx not really having anyone really good to matchup with. Brunson for the most part can hold her own against CP. She just has to limit her because we know Syl will put Nneka on lockdown. Also if Mone is still playing like she is throwing it back to the 2011 finals then that can be the difference. The decision making of What compared to Renee will be better so, I see a cut down on some of the turnovers. I say Lynx in five unless CP, Nneka and Beard stay in foul trouble thought the series....if that happens lynx in four

PostPosted: 09/19/17 7:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
From the tipping contest we have learned that the RebKell Polls are right about 67% of the time for single games. That was for single games, but should be an encouraging sign for Sparks fans.

RebKell polls got 2 of 3 right in the regular season games. Of course, the last game was pretty easy to guess because the Lynx were suffering injuries and it was a Sparks home game.

kojthiabkuv

PostPosted: 09/19/17 9:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lynx are out for blood..!!

Shades

PostPosted: 09/19/17 11:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Let's see what about 10% of the players think.

http://www.wnba.com/news/player-survey-2017-wnba-finals-predictions/

Quote:
We caught up with the following players, who are in New York for the annual WNBA Inspiring Women Luncheon: Skylar Diggins-Smith, Cappie Pondexter, Chiney Ogwumike, Sugar Rodgers, Allisha Gray, Kaela Davis, Morgan Tuck, Kiah Stokes, Kayla Alexander, Matee Ajavon, Natalie Achonwa, Imani Boyette, and Tamera Young.

Not exactly impartial participants

Quote:
Eight of the 13 players predict Minnesota will win and claim its fourth championship in seven years.

“I think they’re on a revenge tour,” Diggins-Smith said of the Lynx. “But L.A. is playing some great basketball too, so I’ll say in five games.”

Quote:
“When the team is supposed to win, that’s added pressure,” Achonwa said. “Minnesota’s great, we know that. But the Sparks have that edge and that athleticism. I like the Odyssey Sims addition.”

You're letting me down, Natty

Quote:
Eleven of the 13 players said it will go to five games again, and the other two believe it will be won in four.

Quote:
What will be the outcome of the 2017 WNBA Finals?
1. Minnesota Lynx in 5 games (54%)
2. Los Angeles Sparks in 5 games (31%)
T-3. Minnesota Lynx in 4 games (8%)
T-3. Los Angeles Sparks in 4 games (8%)

Quote:
Two players, Rodgers and Boyette, said they won’t be watching the Finals because their competitive nature gets in the way. After their team is eliminated from contention, they can’t stand to watch others go for the trophy.

Oh nice, way to show your support for your own profession.

Quote:
Ogwumike, meanwhile, will be providing postgame commentary for NBA TV throughout the Finals.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Spark4Life

PostPosted: 09/19/17 11:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

kojthiabkuv wrote:

And so are my Sparks Twisted Evil
#LossLynx

ClayK

PostPosted: 09/19/17 12:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's always room for meaningless cliches:

XXX wants it more.

YYY is out for revenge/redemption.

XXX has chance to define its legacy.

YYY has something to prove.

XXX needs to bring it every game.

YYY has to play smart.

Players don't go into the finals (or almost any game, for that matter) thinking "I think I'll play stupid tonight, not try hard and miss a lot of shots."

Coaches don't spend the days before a series lying around drinking mai tais and then show up at game and randomly substitute or make up a game plan on the fly.

These two teams are very evenly matched, and things like fouls, injuries (major and minor) and blind luck will play big roles. But more important, basketball is a make-it-or-miss-it game, and whichever team can put the ball in the basket more consistently is very likely the winner.

"Wanting it more," among other brainless statements, will not be a factor.

PostPosted: 09/19/17 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Spark4Life wrote:
kojthiabkuv wrote:

And so are my Sparks Twisted Evil
#LossLynx

We'll see about that.. Laughing

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 09/19/17 12:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Obviously I want LA, but we have a short bench, 2 and I think Minn can wear us down.

justintyme

PostPosted: 09/19/17 12:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

I disagree that "want" is a meaningless factor. Every person has hit a wall at some time. A wall of exhaustion, a wall of pain. "Want" is what pushes a person through that. It summons the adrenaline needed to keep going and not just accept what their body is telling them.

I think most of us have been there ourselves. How important is that last rep for us, that last lap? Does our want push us on, or are we content with what we have done? And there is when that want is at an unconscious level that can even push us further. As tired as we are, we would likely keep running if we were being chased by a psycho ax murderer. So what level of want are the players going to have? Do they simply want another championship, or do they want another championship like they want to keep breathing?

PostPosted: 09/19/17 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the team with the best cliches will win.

ClayK

PostPosted: 09/19/17 12:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
ClayK wrote:

I disagree that "want" is a meaningless factor. Every person has hit a wall at some time. A wall of exhaustion, a wall of pain. "Want" is what pushes a person through that. It summons the adrenaline needed to keep going and not just accept what their body is telling them.

I think most of us have been there ourselves. How important is that last rep for us, that last lap? Does our want push us on, or are we content with what we have done? And there is when that want is at an unconscious level that can even push us further. As tired as we are, we would likely keep running if we were being chased by a psycho ax murderer. So what level of want are the players going to have? Do they simply want another championship, or do they want another championship like they want to keep breathing?

Maybe if this was a marathon ...

But given the number of timeouts, the number of substitutions, the conditioning level, physical exhaustion does not really come into play -- unless we're in triple OT. Plus a week to rest ...

Mentally, same story. So Candace Parker will give up mentally and Seimone Augustus won't -- or vice versa.

Not buying it. I've had teams play very badly in big games, and teams play very well in big games, and it's never been about desire. It's about execution and luck, and of course, making shots. And that sometimes you have a bad day doing your job (or a good day) and there's no particular reason why.

PostPosted: 09/20/17 10:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

evenly matched--

Lynx have the edge with 3 home games.

wnbashockballa

PostPosted: 09/21/17 7:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

threadkiller1201 wrote:
evenly matched--

Lynx have the edge with 3 home games.

didn't work out well for the lynx last yr with that advantage, maya wins every other yr so she needs to win this year to continue her streak

PostPosted: 09/22/17 4:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Let's see what about 10% of the players think.

http://www.wnba.com/news/player-survey-2017-wnba-finals-predictions/

Quote:
We caught up with the following players, who are in New York for the annual WNBA Inspiring Women Luncheon: Skylar Diggins-Smith, Cappie Pondexter, Chiney Ogwumike, Sugar Rodgers, Allisha Gray, Kaela Davis, Morgan Tuck, Kiah Stokes, Kayla Alexander, Matee Ajavon, Natalie Achonwa, Imani Boyette, and Tamera Young.

Not exactly impartial participants

Quote:
Eight of the 13 players predict Minnesota will win and claim its fourth championship in seven years.

“I think they’re on a revenge tour,” Diggins-Smith said of the Lynx. “But L.A. is playing some great basketball too, so I’ll say in five games.”

Quote:
“When the team is supposed to win, that’s added pressure,” Achonwa said. “Minnesota’s great, we know that. But the Sparks have that edge and that athleticism. I like the Odyssey Sims addition.”

You're letting me down, Natty

Quote:
Eleven of the 13 players said it will go to five games again, and the other two believe it will be won in four.

Quote:
What will be the outcome of the 2017 WNBA Finals?
1. Minnesota Lynx in 5 games (54%)
2. Los Angeles Sparks in 5 games (31%)
T-3. Minnesota Lynx in 4 games (8%)
T-3. Los Angeles Sparks in 4 games (8%)

Quote:
Two players, Rodgers and Boyette, said they won’t be watching the Finals because their competitive nature gets in the way. After their team is eliminated from contention, they can’t stand to watch others go for the trophy.

Oh nice, way to show your support for your own profession.

Quote:
Ogwumike, meanwhile, will be providing postgame commentary for NBA TV throughout the Finals.

I enjoyed last year's finals, but I have to also admit it is really, really hard to watch when my team is not in it for the same reasons Sugar and Boyette mentioned. I'm not sure how much of this year's finals I'll be able to watch either. The early elimination this year was harder to take than last year.

PostPosted: 09/22/17 4:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
justintyme wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Maybe if this was a marathon ...

But given the number of timeouts, the number of substitutions, the conditioning level, physical exhaustion does not really come into play -- unless we're in triple OT. Plus a week to rest ...

Mentally, same story. So Candace Parker will give up mentally and Seimone Augustus won't -- or vice versa.

Not buying it. I've had teams play very badly in big games, and teams play very well in big games, and it's never been about desire. It's about execution and luck, and of course, making shots. And that sometimes you have a bad day doing your job (or a good day) and there's no particular reason why.

I don't think that wanting it more is necessarily meaningless. It's just that we don't know how that's going to shake out yet. At the start of the year, the Lynx were clearly highly motivated, as evidenced by most of their key players not playing overseas in the offseason. But wear and tear can affect that sort of thing. So one team may well want it a little more, but it remains to be seen who that could be.

PostPosted: 09/22/17 4:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Laughing @ Boyette's competitive nature...yeah..okay.

ClayK

PostPosted: 09/23/17 10:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've coached in four state championship games and maybe eight Northern California games (semifinal) ...

Everyone involved -- everyone -- wants to win as much as their personality allows. Win or lose, I never for a second thought, believed or considered that our team "wanted it more" than the other team. You don't get to that point without focus, desire and talent.

PostPosted: 09/23/17 6:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
I've coached in four state championship games and maybe eight Northern California games (semifinal) ...

Everyone involved -- everyone -- wants to win as much as their personality allows. Win or lose, I never for a second thought, believed or considered that our team "wanted it more" than the other team. You don't get to that point without focus, desire and talent.

I've never coached, but I completely agree.

PostPosted: 09/23/17 8:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As the parent of an 11 y/o with significant ADHD (not one of those who benefits from removing gluten, only needs during school, can be controlled with neurofeedback) who happens to flourish on the athletic field and in particular tennis court: wanting more, remembering sour taste of last year, revenge is a bunch of crap. In tennis even at a very young age, coaching is forbidden, so stray thoughts about nonsense will be an athletes undoing. It comes down to focus. The ability to block that other crap out is more critical then notions of payback and other nonsense. Performance appears to be the weighted product of 1) Physical gifts/athletic ability and 2) base knowledge/dynamic processing ability in all sports. Any time on the court contemplating the other nonsense leads to the the wheels falling off.

I can see settings off the court where the slogans may help inspire practice and preparation. However leading into these finals these teams are both Clark cling on al cylinders. And come game time, there is no working processing capacity to lend toward computing hunger, revenge or other nonsense.

I'm torn in this finals. I love Big Syl Despite her departure from the Sky, because of how wonderful she is toward my kids and family, but I have been a big Parker fan since 1st following the women's college game in 2006. I may have to choose Syl, the best player on the Lynx team, me her supporting cast.

willtalk

PostPosted: 09/24/17 1:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i think the week lay off will have a big impact of the outcome. One week in basketball can change quite a bit. Time can change streaks. Both players and teams who were either hot or cold can suddenly discover that the dynamic has changed. Hot and cold shooting streaks impact basketball more than any other sport. We have all seen that play itself out within single games. Players hot in one half suddenly cool down in the second half or visa versa. Basketball is a game of streaks and a long layoff can change everything for either the better or the worse. It's actual impact will remain unknown until the actual games start.

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 09/24/17 2:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
There's always room for meaningless cliches:

XXX wants it more.

YYY is out for revenge/redemption.

XXX has chance to define its legacy.

YYY has something to prove.

XXX needs to bring it every game.

YYY has to play smart.

Players don't go into the finals (or almost any game, for that matter) thinking "I think I'll play stupid tonight, not try hard and miss a lot of shots."

Coaches don't spend the days before a series lying around drinking mai tais and then show up at game and randomly substitute or make up a game plan on the fly.

These two teams are very evenly matched, and things like fouls, injuries (major and minor) and blind luck will play big roles. But more important, basketball is a make-it-or-miss-it game, and whichever team can put the ball in the basket more consistently is very likely the winner.

So you're saying that the Lynx have a chip on their shoulder?

toad455

PostPosted: 09/24/17 9:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Going into today's Game 1, Sparks lead 48-28 in the poll.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
myrtle

PostPosted: 09/24/17 6:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Going into today's Game 1, Sparks lead 48-28 in the poll.

we should exclude fans of either team in these polls. It would be interesting to see the difference.

- Amanda Gorman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: