Board Junkies Forums

2018 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 91, 92, 93  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 09/17/17 9:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:

I think Stevens will be a great pro, and be able to play small forward at 6’6

Maybe that's the solution for Connecticut. Jonquel Jones can play SF on the offensive side. She'll demand that a tall player come out to guard her because she can hit the three. Then on the defensive side, play her at center to get all those defensive rebounds.

she’s only been a 3rd team All American to this point

Who cares? What team All American were Gray & Davis? Is that what determines when a player leaves college basketball? I don't think so. DeShields?

maybe she’ll light it up this season, but I can’t see her coming out of college early.

Just like nobody could see Gray & Davis coming out early.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 09/18/17 4:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 09/17/17 11:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

I think Stevens will be a great pro, and be able to play small forward at 6’6

Maybe that's the solution for Connecticut. Jonquel Jones can play SF on the offensive side. She'll demand that a tall player come out to guard her because she can hit the three. Then on the defensive side, play her at center to get all those defensive rebounds.

she’s only been a 3rd team All American to this point

Who cares? What team All American were Gray & Davis? Is what determines when a player leaves college basketball? I don't think so. DeShields?

maybe she’ll light it up this season, but I can’t see her coming out of college early.

Just like nobody could see Gray & Davis coming out early.

You made some good points, but There’s a chance Stevens won’t even be a starter the full season at Uconn, also Davis and Gray didn’t go top 2 in the draft. Jones and Stevens are not the same player, I would liken Jones to Karl Anthony Towns, and Stevens to Kevin Durant, if Stevens is asked to play inside for Uconn it will only limit her game, and if I’m not mistaken she’s never really played at the 5 in college.
RavenDog

PostPosted: 09/17/17 11:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NURSE.

After first few picks, teams will kick their own asses for passing on Nurse, if they do.

No brainer pick, long career, solid player, big, strong, good shooter, good penetrator, rebounder, good defender, team player, smart, savvy, well schooled, experienced, Olympian, and WNBA ready.

Realize and understand some teams have special needs and will have to address those and some teams will opt for a chance at a possible but not guaranteed superstar, however, thereafter...

Nurse those wounds!

hangtyme24

PostPosted: 09/17/17 11:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm gonna take a stab at what you've already started UK. I think Scaife may be a little high, but Minn does need a back up. I'm gonna add McCowen also, as I think she's more likely to declare early. I think Stevens is likely to stay another season at UCONN, but what do I know? Maybe she'll have an All-American season and skidaddle. If Stevens does declare I hope Indiana can land a top 2 pick. Are there any other juniors or redshirt juniors who will be eligible to declare early? I also don't think Atkins will fall to the third round either.

UK1996 wrote:
I'm going to do a mock draft since no one has done one for a while, assuming Stevens declares.
1. San Antonio- Aja Wilson
2. Chicago- Azure Stevens
3. Indiana- Kelsey Mitchell
4. Chicago- Gabby Williams
5. Seattle- Diamond Deshields
6. Dallas- Tierra McCowan
7. Washington- Mercededes Russell
8. Phoenix- Monique Billings
9. Connecticut- Jordan Canada
10. New York- Jamie Nared
11. Los Angeles- Lexie Brown
12. Minnesota- Kia Nurse*

13. San Antonio- Rebecca Greenwell
14. Indiana- Stephanie Mavunga
15. Connecticut- Maria Vadeeva
16. Chicago- Victoria Vivians
17. Seattle- Ariel Atkins
18. Dallas- Begos Faz Devalos
19. Washington- Shakayla Thomas
20. Phoenix- Tyler Scaife
22. New York- Khalia Hillsman
23. Los Angeles- Linnae Harper
24 Minnesota- Mikayla Cowling

25. San Antonio- Brook McCarty
26. Indiana- Kaylee Johnson
27. Atlanta- Morgan William
28. Chicago- Katelyn Flahrety
29. Seattle- Emily Potter
30. Dallas- Lili Thompson*
31. Washington- Marie Gulich
32. Phoenix- Camille Zimmerman
33. Connecticut- Tyra Buss
34. New York- Brittany McPhee
35. Los Angeles- Lexie Bando
36. Minnesota- Carlie Wagner

* I think Thompson's stock could certainly rise depending on her season at ND. But I guess the same could be said for all the ladies above.

*Wouldnt be surprised to see Nurse go higher either. She's a UCONN player with all the tools. I expect her game to translate well at the next level. I think she be a role/glue player at minimum.

PostPosted: 09/18/17 1:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'll be surprised if Azure Stevens enters the Draft.

I don't think Geno and his coaches would invest time and training in her for 1 year of play. Besides, she's going to need the two years of playing, training and experience to learn everything she'll need at the next level to be WNBA ready.

Stewart, Charles, Maya, and DT needed the full four years, I'd expect the same equivalent for Azure.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 09/18/17 3:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:

I don't think Geno and his coaches would invest time and training in her for 1 year of play. Besides, she's going to need the two years of playing, training and experience to learn everything she'll need at the next level to be WNBA ready.

Stewart, Charles, Maya, and DT needed the full four years, I'd expect the same equivalent for Azure.

x_________

I think it's foolish to assume she declares early. Looking forward, assuming nobody declares early and Jessica Shepard gets to play this year, 2019 is absolutely LOADED with quality post players. Kristine Anigwe, Kalani Brown, Napheesa Collier, Teaira McCowan, Jessica Shepard, Azura Stevens, Brianna Turner. Throw in Samuelson, Durr, Ogunbowale, Cunningham and maybe Stephanie Watts to round out the first round and I think you have an even stronger group than in 2018.

UK1996

PostPosted: 09/18/17 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hangtyme24 wrote:
I'm gonna take a stab at what you've already started UK. I think Scaife may be a little high, but Minn does need a back up. I'm gonna add McCowen also, as I think she's more likely to declare early. I think Stevens is likely to stay another season at UCONN, but what do I know? Maybe she'll have an All-American season and skidaddle. If Stevens does declare I hope Indiana can land a top 2 pick. Are there any other juniors or redshirt juniors who will be eligible to declare early? I also don't think Atkins will fall to the third round either.

UK1996 wrote:
I'm going to do a mock draft since no one has done one for a while, assuming Stevens declares.
1. San Antonio- Aja Wilson
2. Chicago- Azure Stevens
3. Indiana- Kelsey Mitchell
4. Chicago- Gabby Williams
5. Seattle- Diamond Deshields
6. Dallas- Tierra McCowan
7. Washington- Mercededes Russell
8. Phoenix- Monique Billings
9. Connecticut- Jordan Canada
10. New York- Jamie Nared
11. Los Angeles- Lexie Brown
12. Minnesota- Kia Nurse*

13. San Antonio- Rebecca Greenwell
14. Indiana- Stephanie Mavunga
15. Connecticut- Maria Vadeeva
16. Chicago- Victoria Vivians
17. Seattle- Ariel Atkins
18. Dallas- Begos Faz Devalos
19. Washington- Shakayla Thomas
20. Phoenix- Tyler Scaife
22. New York- Khalia Hillsman
23. Los Angeles- Linnae Harper
24 Minnesota- Mikayla Cowling

25. San Antonio- Brook McCarty
26. Indiana- Kaylee Johnson
27. Atlanta- Morgan William
28. Chicago- Katelyn Flahrety
29. Seattle- Emily Potter
30. Dallas- Lili Thompson*
31. Washington- Marie Gulich
32. Phoenix- Camille Zimmerman
33. Connecticut- Tyra Buss
34. New York- Brittany McPhee
35. Los Angeles- Lexie Bando
36. Minnesota- Carlie Wagner

* I think Thompson's stock could certainly rise depending on her season at ND. But I guess the same could be said for all the ladies above.

*Wouldnt be surprised to see Nurse go higher either. She's a UCONN player with all the tools. I expect her game to translate well at the next level. I think she be a role/glue player at minimum.

I personally think Nurse will become a glue type player. The type of player who handles a lot of dirty work.

Last edited by UK1996 on 09/19/17 12:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 09/19/17 12:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you stand on the side of the players, I don't really know why any of them would stay in college when they could be paid. Yeah, yeah,I have heard the arguments about getting the edu, but those who are already age qualified, hold backs or transfers, can finish up on top of getting paid if they have to. The body has a limit to how much it can take.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 09/19/17 12:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nm

Shades

PostPosted: 09/19/17 1:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There’s a chance Stevens won’t even be a starter the full season at Uconn

Yeah, adjustments will have to be made based on performances during the college season. Plum was not a #1 pick before her senior season.

also Davis and Gray didn’t go top 2 in the draft.

So? They're All Rookie and Gray even won ROY.

Jones and Stevens are not the same player, I would liken Jones to Karl Anthony Towns, and Stevens to Kevin Durant

You're saying Stevens is the real MVP? It's difficult to think who'd be more similar in the W.

if Stevens is asked to play inside for Uconn it will only limit her game, and if I’m not mistaken she’s never really played at the 5 in college.

If Gabby has to play inside again it's going to be even more limiting to her game.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/19/17 4:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 09/19/17 7:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:

Azura' has had one year to un-learn the stupidity of JPM and get with the Geno program. If she has even half the year she had as a sophomore, I expect she'll think she's ready for the WNBA. Lord knows, she won't have a hard time getting a UConn degree, unless it's so easy she doesn't bother to do the work. (don't bash me - blame it on Brittany - the first Duke to UConn transfer. I could be misremembering but I think "dumb as doornails" was in there somewhere).

~rAf
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 09/21/17 10:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
RavenDog wrote:

x_________

I think it's foolish to assume she declares early. Looking forward, assuming nobody declares early and Jessica Shepard gets to play this year, 2019 is absolutely LOADED with quality post players. Kristine Anigwe, Kalani Brown, Napheesa Collier, Teaira McCowan, Jessica Shepard, Azura Stevens, Brianna Turner. Throw in Samuelson, Durr, Ogunbowale, Cunningham and maybe Stephanie Watts to round out the first round and I think you have an even stronger group than in 2018.

You forget possibly the best pro ready player of them all. Tynice Martin will be a star in the WNBA ! #DontSleepOnHer

PostPosted: 10/08/17 11:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This author does an early breakdown of UConn

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-womens-basketball/hc-sp-uconn-women-basketball-insider-20171002-story.html

Quote:
The first fall practice is Oct. 12 and UConn returns its core: Katie Lou Samuelson, Kia Nurse, Gabby Williams, Napheesa Collier. No team in the country can match the top of the UConn roster.

Quote:
After serving as a valuable bench player for two seasons, Williams (14.3 points, 8.4 rebounds, 190 assists) was perhaps the country’s most complete player last season. At 5-11, she played the post — her defense on bigger players was consistently good and she proved to be a rare defender capable of guarding players anywhere on the court.

Williams (100 steals, 52 blocks) filled the stat sheet, night after night. And her confidence grew throughout the season, setting up the potential for a monster senior season.

Quote:
The Leader
Nurse returned last season as the team’s most seasoned player, a starter on two national title teams and a player coming off an appearance in the Rio Olympics as a member of Team Canada. She inherited a leadership role and was seen as vital to the team’s success.

Quote:
By the postseason, Nurse was shooting three-pointers as well as anyone in the country. Her defense was solid all season and she was perhaps UConn’s best player in the NCAA Tournament, scoring 29 points while matching an NCAA single-game tournament record with nine three-pointers against Syracuse.

Quote:
“I don’t know how many 6-6 girls can be the one you set the ball screen for instead of them setting the ball screen,” Auriemma said over the summer. “That’s unusual, but Azura is unusual. We’ll find different ways to have fun with her this coming year.”

UConn had three of the best players in the country last season, yet there’s an expectation that Stevens will be among the elite in 2017-18.

Quote:
The Starting Five
Stevens, who has two years of eligibility remaining, figures to move into the starting lineup. With starting guard Chong gone to the WNBA, Stevens can slide into the lineup and Samuelson or Williams can move into the backcourt.

Not that positions matter. Think of Celtics coach Brad Stevens advocating for versatile players or “positionless” lineups. UConn’s starting lineup is a mix of multi-skilled players — all five starters can handle the ball and break a press while “long” players such as Stevens (6-6) and Samuelson (6-3) are three-point threats and Williams (5-11) operates best in the paint. Nurse is a traditional guard, both offensively and defensively, and Collier is more of a traditional forward.

Quote:
But with Stevens, Samuelson, Collier, Williams and Nurse on the court together, it’s hard to imagine how opponents will defend such an impossible mix of matchups.

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 10/08/17 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Problem seems he didn't watch any of the Italy games. I previously thought Stevens would be a starter but Geno was not happy with her and benched her in Italy. I now think Dangerfield could start.

Shades

PostPosted: 10/10/17 7:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good choice, College Sports Madness

Shades

PostPosted: 10/10/17 8:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

2018 College Sports Madness WNBA Draft Rankings

I'll probably get snark for this, but I'm feeling the dropping of Collier if she should enter the draft early. But I don't think I'd drop her quite that far.
So she might as well stay in UConn her full term.

I don't think there's a strong demand for a 6'1 PF. She'd have to be Sophia Young, and even if she is, I'm not sure this is the era for even for Sophia Young (physically speaking, not talking politics). If you're 6'1 and you lose that youthful motor and you don't have any perimeter skills, that can add up to a shortened career.

They seem to have overlooked DeShields entering this draft, and I thought maybe they were ranking only college players, but they do list Vadeeva. Oops.

zune69

PostPosted: 10/10/17 8:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My top 3 draft picks(Underclassmen excluded)

1.Wilson
2.Deshields
3.Mitchell

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/10/17 10:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Check out @FLYBSKTBLLs Tweet: https://twitter.com/FLYBSKTBLL/status/917390360090959874?s=09

Check out Footage Of DD playing For Kurakova. No College player can do some of this gal can do on the court. Abilities are unmatched. Can she translate has been the question and if this is any indicator teams might regret not taking diamond #1

PostPosted: 10/11/17 1:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Check out @FLYBSKTBLLs Tweet: https://twitter.com/FLYBSKTBLL/status/917390360090959874?s=09

Check out Footage Of DD playing For Kurakova. No College player can do some of this gal can do on the court. Abilities are unmatched. Can she translate has been the question and if this is any indicator teams might regret not taking diamond #1

Laughing Laughing

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/11/17 2:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The opposition in that clip looks like a high school team. But it is impressive that she actually appears to be hitting her shots. If she can make threes and midrange jumpers on a regular basis, her value goes up. If she can't shoot for shit, which is what happened a lot in college, the athleticism doesn't do much.

ClayK

PostPosted: 10/11/17 9:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's the risk with Diamond DeShields ...

She has the complete physical package to be a top-shelf player in the WNBA, but her USA Basketball experience and her college career lead to questions.

To me, the most concerning is USA Basketball. In her teens, DeShields was a USA Basketball darling, but now, with talent intact, she's out of the program. Depending on your point of view, that's just another sign of the arrogance of USA Basketball, or issues with DeShields' attitude and ability to work within a team structure.

The evidence pointing to the latter is her college career, which saw her bounce around and never find a home. Again, that could be a reflection of the coaches and programs she was associated with, but it also could be a reflection of an attitude that's a result of immense talent and being the daughter of a rich and talented athlete.

It could be that the professional setting will be perfect for DeShields; it also could be that she will never take full advantage of her talent.

Should be an interesting decision on draft day ...

PostPosted: 10/11/17 10:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why are folks predicting McGowan will come out early? Has something been published in the media? She might be a crazy good talent but think the more time to develop in Starkville, the better.

PRballer

PostPosted: 10/11/17 10:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

She has the complete physical package to be a top-shelf player in the WNBA, but her USA Basketball experience and her college career lead to questions.

To me, the most concerning is USA Basketball. In her teens, DeShields was a USA Basketball darling, but now, with talent intact, she's out of the program. Depending on your point of view, that's just another sign of the arrogance of USA Basketball, or issues with DeShields' attitude and ability to work within a team structure.

The evidence pointing to the latter is her college career, which saw her bounce around and never find a home. Again, that could be a reflection of the coaches and programs she was associated with, but it also could be a reflection of an attitude that's a result of immense talent and being the daughter of a rich and talented athlete.

It could be that the professional setting will be perfect for DeShields; it also could be that she will never take full advantage of her talent.

She's a risk for sure. Who do you think would take her? I fee Kelsey Mitchell or even Gabby Williams might be a safer bet.

She looks like the tallest player on the floor in that highlight clip. Is it a second tier pro team?

PRballer

PostPosted: 10/11/17 10:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

She's a risk for sure. Who do you think would take her? I fee Kelsey Mitchell or even Gabby Williams might be a safer bet.

She looks like the tallest player on the floor in that highlight clip. Is it a second tier pro team?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 91, 92, 93  Next
Page 16 of 93

Jump to: