RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Phoenix Mercury 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 09/20/17 2:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
I still say package Bonner & Robinson, plus the #8 pick to Indiana for their lottery pick & S. Johnson. Xargay & Petrovic return. Unless they pick #1, Phoenix would likely get either Williams or. K. Mitchell.

PG: Mitchell/Xargay
SG: Johnson/Turner
SF: Taurasi/Petrovic
PF: Little/Cannon
C: Griner/A. Robinson
+lottery pick and likely another post option.

Why would Indiana even entertain that? Makes no sense for them at all.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 09/20/17 3:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Indiana needs to get good YOUNG assets. Sadly, they need to be bad for a couple years to load up on elite talent, and trading away lottery picks for aging vets is not the right strategy for the Fever. If the team is entertaining but overmatched, the fans might still be engaged if they see a future with the young stars. But mediocrity is a terrible goal.

ClayK

PostPosted: 09/20/17 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is the typical take-out-our-garbage trade home town fans like.

Yes, Bonner's a pretty good player, but she turns 31 next year. She, like many athletes, had her best year at age 27, and though of course she could return to that level, even then, she was not a player capable of carrying a team.

Robinson is also on the wrong side of aging curve, and any rebuilding team -- and Indiana certainly qualifies -- needs to get younger, not older.

PostPosted: 09/20/17 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Send Dupree back to PX. Reunite Bonner/Dupree, keep Bonner in town.

Cannon and #8 for Dupree and #14

PX win now Indy rebuild

Indy gets a young big and a 2nd 1st round pick in deep draft to kick-start the rebuild. Enough to make the team watch-able but keep them in the lottery for another year.

PX gets a rejuvenated Dupree and Bonner back to compliment DT, Griner and Mitchell in the starting line up or bring her off the bench as the first offensive option an a 2nd unit and PX can still pick up someone useful at #14.

zune69

PostPosted: 09/20/17 4:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bringing Dupree back to phoenix makes no sense unless she's willing to play a lesser role.The last thing phoenix needs is Griner regressing back to the 4th option on offense.A Mitchell.Taurasi,Dupree combination would get exposed on defense in a series vs minny/LA....Unless phoenix is bolstering the rest of the roster with defensive players(January,Young,Stokes),a Dupree/mercury reunion should be off the table.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 09/20/17 6:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Send Dupree back to PX. Reunite Bonner/Dupree, keep Bonner in town.

Cannon and #8 for Dupree and #14

PX win now Indy rebuild

Indy gets a young big and a 2nd 1st round pick in deep draft to kick-start the rebuild. Enough to make the team watch-able but keep them in the lottery for another year.

PX gets a rejuvenated Dupree and Bonner back to compliment DT, Griner and Mitchell in the starting line up or bring her off the bench as the first offensive option an a 2nd unit and PX can still pick up someone useful at #14.

Seriously? Cannon is younger than Dupree, but she is far from a "young big." She is a 28 year old who just now managed to get on a team.

I'm not opposed to trading Dupree, but Cannon has a trade value of precisely 0.

Tally24

PostPosted: 09/20/17 9:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I feel like we never should have traded Dupree in the first place.
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/20/17 10:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm just trying to solve the Bonner/Dupree situation.

They could play separate, but Newly Weds with 1 year old twins who might be apart for a chunk of the fall/spring/winter I'm guessing for their Summer job they want to be on the same team.

So Bonner to Indy I'm still putting it at something like S. Johnson and #14 for Bonner.

By Adding Bonner to Dupree, T. Mitchell, January and Wheeler and the #2 pick Indy would be pretty good, but good enough for more than getting to the semis I doubt it, and probably not that far, so I think going young and moving on from Dupree's decent level of play in 2017 could be a better option for Indy.

Personally the more I think about it Dupree back to PX makes more sense. PX is win now. I could see Dupree coming off the bench in PX, they simply need someone better to start in front of her. Maybe they keep Little and start Little with DT, Bonner and Griner for defense, and bring Dupree in for scoring off the bench. Also there were time when PX looked like they needed some more punch on offense. Maybe time apart from the team will bring back a Dupree who is willing to fill a role on a good team.

One Indy fan said no to Cannon but didn't mention the #8 pick, would the #8 pick be enough?

#8 for Dupree I do it if I'm Indy. PX would be hurting itself down the road but would be in OK shape in 2018.

Of course neither team needs to accommodate getting Bonner and Dupree back on the same team, but then I think one of them could just sit out to stay with their new family and the team that has them gets nothing in return.

miller40

PostPosted: 09/21/17 8:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
I'm just trying to solve the Bonner/Dupree situation.

They could play separate, but Newly Weds with 1 year old twins who might be apart for a chunk of the fall/spring/winter I'm guessing for their Summer job they want to be on the same team.

So Bonner to Indy I'm still putting it at something like S. Johnson and #14 for Bonner.

By Adding Bonner to Dupree, T. Mitchell, January and Wheeler and the #2 pick Indy would be pretty good, but good enough for more than getting to the semis I doubt it, and probably not that far, so I think going young and moving on from Dupree's decent level of play in 2017 could be a better option for Indy.

Personally the more I think about it Dupree back to PX makes more sense. PX is win now. I could see Dupree coming off the bench in PX, they simply need someone better to start in front of her. Maybe they keep Little and start Little with DT, Bonner and Griner for defense, and bring Dupree in for scoring off the bench. Also there were time when PX looked like they needed some more punch on offense. Maybe time apart from the team will bring back a Dupree who is willing to fill a role on a good team.

One Indy fan said no to Cannon but didn't mention the #8 pick, would the #8 pick be enough?

#8 for Dupree I do it if I'm Indy. PX would be hurting itself down the road but would be in OK shape in 2018.

Of course neither team needs to accommodate getting Bonner and Dupree back on the same team, but then I think one of them could just sit out to stay with their new family and the team that has them gets nothing in return.

"#8 for Dupree I do it if I'm Indy."
I don't. Pokey made Dupree the center of her universe and a late first rounder straight up isn't enticing at all. People keep suggesting these lopsided trades. It's not Indiana's fault Phoenix broke up the newlyweds.

Phoenix knew Bonner and Dupree were married when they traded away Dupree. Common sense says they weighed the possibility of Bonner wanting out to stay with her wife and decided to go ahead with trading Dupree anyway. I agree with zune about Phoenix and Dupree. I doubt Griner makes the huge strides she made this year with Dupree (and Bonner) on the roster; there aren't enough shots to go around.

The other option is they could both end up on a third team.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/21/17 9:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pokey might not do it but that doesn't mean that Indiana shouldn't. Dupree's 33 years old. This team desperately needs to rebuild with youth, esecially considering they suck at the minute with the Dupree-led offense anyway. If the depth of this draft is as good as lots of people think it is, I'd be sorely tempted by that as Indiana.

I'm not sure If Phoenix do it, though. They only recently dumped Dupree for someone they felt was a better option at the 4; would they want to give up an asset to bring her right back?

PostPosted: 09/21/17 9:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phoenix has a window that is closing with DT's imminent departure (and Leilani Mitchell turns 33 next June) so bringing back Dupree and Bonner makes sense for a last run for glory.

It makes no sense in building for the future, and an Indiana lineup that resembles this year's hot mess makes no sense either. That said, Pokey may need to win some games to keep her job, so the Fever could go old, try to stagger to the semis, and kick the rebuilding can down the road.

Or Dupree could just sit out 2018.

PostPosted: 09/21/17 9:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Phoenix has a window that is closing with DT's imminent departure

Sounds like she's staying through 2020 if she stays hungry.

ClayK wrote:
Leilani Mitchell turns 33 next June

Don't worry about the Bunny. She just had her most ferocious year.

ClayK wrote:
so bringing back Dupree and Bonner makes sense for a last run for glory.

Bringing her back makes about as much sense as dispatching her in the first place. Did they undervalue her worth? Must be some reason they traded Dupree.

ClayK wrote:
It makes no sense in building for the future, and an Indiana lineup that resembles this year's hot mess makes no sense either.

It's like the Duke situation. Some people are incapable of factoring in how much of a role injuries played in their season. For Indiana, it was huge.

ClayK wrote:
Dupree could just sit out 2018.

Why would Dupree burn the club that believed in her? Makes absolutely no sense.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
ClayK

PostPosted: 09/21/17 10:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Shenise Johnson injury was huge, no question ... they were 6-8 without her, which works out to a 14-20 overall record assuming she played the rest of the season at that level.

Tiffany Mitchell, by PER, was a below-average player less effective than Erica Wheeler, and Briann January was even worse, and they were the other two players who missed significant time.

Of course, all three were on the perimeter, which forced the dismal Jazmon Gwathmey and Marissa Coleman into the lineup.

So yes, injuries were an issue, so there's some reason for hope, I guess, but 14-20 is still not anything to get excited about.

And given the age of Larkins, January and Dupree, improvement there is unlikely, though of course possible.

Finally, Dupree may decide that raising her children in Phoenix with Bonner is more important than playing in Indiana. I know nothing directly, of course, but it seems plausible. It's hard to figure out how things would work if Bonner and Dupree were in different cities 1,700 miles apart.

PostPosted: 09/21/17 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Phoenix has a window that is closing with DT's imminent departure (and Leilani Mitchell turns 33 next June) so bringing back Dupree and Bonner makes sense for a last run for glory.

Phoenix finished this year with a better record than they had with Bonner and Dupree last year. I don't see how adding them back in two years older improves things.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/21/17 11:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We've slid off topic, but Indiana were terrible even before any injuries.

PostPosted: 09/21/17 11:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

They came into the season with a couple disappointing losses in Peters and Lucas.

They started the season strong, winning 2 of the first 4 games including ones against CON and LAS.

They had a strong June, winning 5 of 8 games.

Then the slide began, winning only 1 game in July (PHX) and 1 in August (MIN).

Let's not kid ourselves. When a guard-oriented coach looses 3 of her top guards, that hurts.

Apparently January and Larkins had nagging issues all season long.

If they're healthy all season long, middle of the road team... maybe better. I'm including Peters being healthy.

So getting a lottery pick and getting healthy should improve their outlook greatly (especially with the #1 pick). If they can finagle Bonner without losing the lottery pick, all the better.

Aladyyn

PostPosted: 09/21/17 12:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

They came into the season with a couple disappointing losses in Peters and Lucas.

They started the season strong, winning 2 of the first 4 games including ones against CON and LAS.

They had a strong June, winning 5 of 8 games.

Then the slide began, winning only 1 game in July (PHX) and 1 in August (MIN).

Let's not kid ourselves. When a guard-oriented coach looses 3 of her top guards, that hurts.

Apparently January and Larkins had nagging issues all season long.

If they're healthy all season long, middle of the road team... maybe better. I'm including Peters being healthy.

So getting a lottery pick and getting healthy should improve their outlook greatly (especially with the #1 pick). If they can finagle Bonner without losing the lottery pick, all the better.

So you think we could see 11 competitive teams next season? That would be awesome.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/21/17 12:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:

So you think we could see 11 competitive teams next season? That would be awesome.

It's going to be so competitive that we could see 11 teams slightly above .500 and one red-headed stepchild in San Antonio. Wink

zune69

PostPosted: 09/21/17 4:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phoenix,"going back to the future",and Indiana giving up quality assets for Bonner makes no sense...So here's a 3-way trade proposal that could work....this trade was inspired by "miller40" idea of sending Bonner/Dupree to a 3rd team.

Washington gets:Bonner & Dupree(Dupree comes off the bench)

Phoenix gets:Meesseman,January & S.Johnson

Indiana gets:the #7 pick(wash),the #8 pick(phoe), & D.Robinson

zune69

PostPosted: 10/07/17 5:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Minnesota asst coach James wade will be a assistant Coach for UMMC Ekaterinburg....this is great news for Griner.

toad455

PostPosted: 10/08/17 7:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With Mistie Bass playing in Australia, any chance she comes back to the Mercury in 2018?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
myrtle

PostPosted: 10/08/17 11:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
With Mistie Bass playing in Australia, any chance she comes back to the Mercury in 2018?

or anyplace in the W? I don't think Phoenix own her rights. I thought she was a useful backup who could help out in a number of places. But she's also not getting any younger.

- Amanda Gorman
toad455

PostPosted: 10/08/17 12:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think if she's interested in coming back, someone will sign her.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
bballjunkie

PostPosted: 10/08/17 2:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With this being Taurasis last year in Russia, it will be interesting to see how her body feels. Sometimes it is a catch 22. You play year round and get beat up but if you don't then it takes more time to get going in the short W season.

miller40

PostPosted: 10/08/17 6:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
With this being Taurasis last year in Russia, it will be interesting to see how her body feels. Sometimes it is a catch 22. You play year round and get beat up but if you don't then it takes more time to get going in the short W season.

That won’t come up until 2019 season, at which point the Catch 22 is she’ll be, what, 37?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 2 of 15

Jump to: