RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

No votes for Jewell

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 09/14/17 5:38 pm    ::: No votes for Jewell Reply Reply with quote

Jewell Loyd finished 8th in the league in scoring but received no MVP votes. She's the highest scoring player to be shut out for the second season in a row. Past high point snubs...

1997 Jennifer Gillom 5th in scoring
1998 Tamecka Dixon 5th
1999 Adrienne Goodson 9th
2000 Sophia Witherspoon 12th
2001 Lauren Jackson 8th
2002 Marie Ferdinand 11th
2003 Nykesha Sales 8th
2004 Sheryl Swoopes 8th
2005 Alana Beard 9th
2006 Cappie Pondexter 4th
2007 Cappie Pondexter 8th
2008 Jia Perkins 11th
2009 Asjha Jones 8th
2010 Sylvia Fowles 6th
2011 Crystal Langhorne 4th
2012 Katie Douglas 10th
2013 Cappie Pondexter 8th
2014 Skylar Diggins 2nd
2015 Riquna Williams 6th
2016 Jewell Loyd 8th
2017 Jewell Loyd 9th

PostPosted: 09/14/17 6:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You have WAY too much time on your hands

PostPosted: 09/14/17 6:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

she didn't deserve any votes.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Michelle89

PostPosted: 09/15/17 4:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Im more mad that she didnt get into the allstargame Laughing

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
PUmatty

PostPosted: 09/15/17 9:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:

Picking Brunson over her was a ludicrous decision by the league.

jap

PostPosted: 09/15/17 10:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm absolutely positive Kobe voted for her. Unfortunately, his vote doesn't count.

PostPosted: 09/15/17 10:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pilight didn't clarify very well. By "no MVP votes" he seems to mean no first through fifth place votes. Is it particularly surprising that a guard that came in 8th place in scoring is not viewed as a Top 5 player? Disappointed she didn't get a homer vote or something? Not really seeing the point other than to create what is probably some misguided angst.

It's especially not surprising considering Diggins apparently not ranking Top 5 among any voters in 2014. Diggins had a few things going against her.

1. Maya had an overwhelming year.
2. Diggins was on everybody's MIP radar, so they didn't bother considering her for MVP. Jonquel Jones kinda fell into that same trap and got scant MVP votes.
3. Posts are valued more than guards. They score efficiently, they get rebounds, they block shots, and have the rare commodity of height so they're harder to replace. They are the queen bees while the guards are the plentiful disposable worker bees that get no respect.

This is something new? How often do guards make a genuine threat to become MVP?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Michelle89

PostPosted: 09/15/17 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:

And Augustus

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Shades

PostPosted: 09/15/17 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:

And Augustus

Augustus was voted in.

Augustus is having a great season. She's bringing a more balanced game than she has ever before, plus she's stayed healthy the entire season.

Brunson and Sugar Rodgers were assigned to replace injured Griner and Delle Donne. Is it ludicrous to replace a post player with another post player? Seems like the beef to those paying attention should have been more towards Sugar Rodgers getting the nod. But apparently they needed Sugar for the three point shooting contest.

Brunson was scorching hot to start the season, and starting hot is a good way to get into the All Star game. I believe she was the top 3P% post player in the first half of the season. She was like old Brunson+, dipping into Beard's fountain of youth.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 09/15/17 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Brunson was scorching hot to start the season, and starting hot is a good way to get into the All Star game.

If that was it Loyd would have been easily selected since she began the first few weeks leading the league in scoring and shooting over 55% from both 2 and 3 pt range.

"Scorching hot to start the season" certainly creates no advantage for Brunson over Loyd this year.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 09/15/17 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:

And Augustus

Augustus was voted in.

Augustus is having a great season. She's bringing a more balanced game than she has ever before, plus she's stayed healthy the entire season.

Brunson and Sugar Rodgers were assigned to replace injured Griner and Delle Donne. Is it ludicrous to replace a post player with another post player? Seems like the beef to those paying attention should have been more towards Sugar Rodgers getting the nod. But apparently they needed Sugar for the three point shooting contest.

Brunson was scorching hot to start the season, and starting hot is a good way to get into the All Star game. I believe she was the top 3P% post player in the first half of the season. She was like old Brunson+, dipping into Beard's fountain of youth.

You realize Sugar Rodgers is in the East, right, so has no implication at all for whether Loyd was chosen?

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/15/17 3:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like Loyd she will likely be in the running in the future but this year it ain't that deep, she was the second best player (by a long shot) on her 8th place team. You don't get a lot of MVP consideration under those circumstances.

bcdawg04

PostPosted: 09/15/17 6:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I love Jewell, but I take no issue with her not being named an All-Star or receiving any MVP votes. She's got all kinds of All-Star potential, and I'm looking forward to continuing to watch her grow as a player. She started the season off on an absolute tear, but the rest of the season was just too much inconsistency. We don't need her to think of herself as our go-to player or to try to take on too much of the load. We need her to keep her teammates involved.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 09/16/17 4:04 am    ::: Re: No votes for Jewell Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Jewell Loyd finished 8th in the league in scoring but received no MVP votes. She's the highest scoring player to be shut out for the second season in a row. Past high point snubs...

1997 Jennifer Gillom 5th in scoring
1998 Tamecka Dixon 5th
1999 Adrienne Goodson 9th
2000 Sophia Witherspoon 12th
2001 Lauren Jackson 8th
2002 Marie Ferdinand 11th
2003 Nykesha Sales 8th
2004 Sheryl Swoopes 8th
2005 Alana Beard 9th
2006 Cappie Pondexter 4th
2007 Cappie Pondexter 8th
2008 Jia Perkins 11th
2009 Asjha Jones 8th
2010 Sylvia Fowles 6th
2011 Crystal Langhorne 4th
2012 Katie Douglas 10th
2013 Cappie Pondexter 8th
2014 Skylar Diggins 2nd
2015 Riquna Williams 6th
2016 Jewell Loyd 8th
2017 Jewell Loyd 9th

Was she 8th or 9th this year?

PostPosted: 09/16/17 4:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

9th this season

PostPosted: 09/16/17 7:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Shades wrote:

Brunson was scorching hot to start the season, and starting hot is a good way to get into the All Star game.

If that was it Loyd would have been easily selected since she began the first few weeks leading the league in scoring and shooting over 55% from both 2 and 3 pt range.

"Scorching hot to start the season" certainly creates no advantage for Brunson over Loyd this year.

Might there be more to the game than simply points scored?

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 09/16/17 11:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bcdawg04 wrote:
She started the season off on an absolute tear, but the rest of the season was just too much inconsistency.

And when was the all star team selected?

Yeah, that's what I thought.

RP

PostPosted: 09/16/17 12:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pre All-Star break, Loyd was volume without enough efficiency or defense. Among players on the court for 1000 or more possessions (43), she was fifth in usage but only 25th in TS% and only one guard had a lower assist-to-turnover ratio.

Augustus and Brunson were correctly named All-Stars instead. If the All-Star game were similar to the Pro Bowl, then different story.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 09/16/17 5:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RP wrote:
Pre All-Star break, Loyd was volume without enough efficiency or defense. Among players on the court for 1000 or more possessions (43), she was fifth in usage but only 25th in TS% and only one guard had a lower assist-to-turnover ratio.

Augustus and Brunson were correctly named All-Stars instead. If the All-Star game were similar to the Pro Bowl, then different story.

Loyd had a better season then Augustus. Yes she was less efficient but that is because she had to be that go to scorer for the Storm (while getting a lot of defensive attention) if they wanted to win. Augustus was playing with the MVP and one of the best players in the world.

RP

PostPosted: 09/16/17 5:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Meanwhile, Loyd plays with Breanna Stewart, Sue Bird and Crystal Langhorne. By your logic, Kayla McBride has the biggest gripe of all...

Shades

PostPosted: 09/16/17 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:

Loyd had a better season then Augustus.

Was Loyd's season better than perfect? I would day Augustus' was perfect for her team this season. Couldn't ask for a better season.

FG% 50.2 3P% 43.2 FT% 86.8
That's so close to the holy grail benchmark of 50-40-90

And here's the kicker.... 4 apg. If you would have told me a few years ago that Seimone would have 4 apg over the entire season, I would have thought you were crazy. No longer is she that high-volume me-baller from early in the decade. She's doing her part to make the Lynx the #1 seed. That makes her my All Star.

Michelle89 wrote:
Yes she was less efficient but that is because she had to be that go to scorer for the Storm (while getting a lot of defensive attention) if they wanted to win. Augustus was playing with the MVP and one of the best players in the world.

Oh, you conveniently forgot about Bird (somebody you would probably proclaim as best PG in league in a different thread), Stewart (somebody's whose shoes are worth more than Cambage in another thread), and the highly efficient Langhorne (might make sense to make her a bigger part of the offense). In THIS thread, Loyd is doing it all her herself. Well you know, if Loyd would have played more like Augustus, maybe just maybe Seattle would have been better than a #8 seed.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 09/16/17 6:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Are you for real?? If Loyd tried to play more like Seimone this season, her team wins even fewer games than they already did.
Those 2 were in completely different circumstances, so to me that's a terrible hypothesis.

PostPosted: 09/16/17 6:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It would be nice if everyone could play like the Lynx, but most teams simply don't have enough talent to do that.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 09/17/17 7:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:

Was Loyd's season better than perfect? I would day Augustus' was perfect for her team this season. Couldn't ask for a better season.

And here's the kicker.... 4 apg. If you would have told me a few years ago that Seimone would have 4 apg over the entire season, I would have thought you were crazy. No longer is she that high-volume me-baller from early in the decade. She's doing her part to make the Lynx the #1 seed. That makes her my All Star.

Michelle89 wrote:
Yes she was less efficient but that is because she had to be that go to scorer for the Storm (while getting a lot of defensive attention) if they wanted to win. Augustus was playing with the MVP and one of the best players in the world.

Oh, you conveniently forgot about Bird (somebody you would probably proclaim as best PG in league in a different thread), Stewart (somebody's whose shoes are worth more than Cambage in another thread), and the highly efficient Langhorne (might make sense to make her a bigger part of the offense). In THIS thread, Loyd is doing it all her herself. Well you know, if Loyd would have played more like Augustus, maybe just maybe Seattle would have been better than a #8 seed.

So now you are saying that the Storm have the same amount of talent on their team as the Lynx Rolling Eyes Loyd is the number 2 scoring option on this team (in her eyes sometimes number 1) and Augustus is the 3-4-5 option depends on Montgomery mindset or how Brunson and Whalen are playing.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 09/20/17 3:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:

Michelle89 wrote:

If we are going with efficiency and want to include assists as well, then why not look at PER? Given that both Loyd and Augustus are SG, the comparison makes sense.

19.1 for Loyd
16.1 for Augustus

I guess Jewell must have done something better than Seimone.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: