toad455

PostPosted: 09/18/17 9:43 am    ::: Finals Prediction Reply Reply with quote

Lynx vs. Sparks, who you got?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
ClayK

PostPosted: 09/18/17 10:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Somebody in five ...

PostPosted: 09/18/17 10:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Unlike last year, I am unable to make any predictions.

adamj95

PostPosted: 09/18/17 10:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not that it will be huge on the Lynx's kind, but losing in game 5 at home should motivate them. Lynx in 4 or 5

PostPosted: 09/18/17 10:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

adamj95 wrote:
Not that it will be huge on the Lynx's kind, but losing in game 5 at home should motivate them. Lynx in 4 or 5

The only previous time a team lost Game 5 of the finals at home, they swept the next season's finals convincingly.

PostPosted: 09/18/17 10:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's interesting that at this point the series prediction is 11-2 in favor of the Lynx, but the Game 1 prediction is a statistical dead heat.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
justintyme

PostPosted: 09/18/17 11:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
adamj95 wrote:

The only previous time a team lost Game 5 of the finals at home, they swept the next season's finals convincingly.

Post hoc, ergo propter hoc.

Wink

PostPosted: 09/18/17 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think it'll be similar to last year's results where each team wins one on the road and it comes down to game 5 again.

hyperetic

PostPosted: 09/18/17 12:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think this may either be a developing dynastic rivalry or a changing of the guard so to speak of odds on favorite contenders. LA seems to have found its groove. MIN is still a force to be reckoned with. I think MIN takes this one with the added motivation to get revenge.
boom*NNEKA*nneka

PostPosted: 09/18/17 1:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I picked Sparks in four. Minnesota is a great team, but there is just something about the way this team is playing right now that I feel a repeat coming. I think Sparks steal one on the road, and then close out at home. Just a few points.

1. Candace Parker - She is just playing on a different level right now. The thing that is so frustrating with her is that she seems to go through phases where she just completely turns it off for possession, quarters, halves, games, etc. That has not happened once in the past few weeks, and I do not see it happening during this series. The way she played against Griner, worked for steals, playing defense, getting hyped after taking that charge against Phoenix in game 3. In my opinion, it's fantastic to watch. To me, her engagement and commitment is an x-factor. Whereas you know what you are going to get from Nneka, from Syl, from Maya, from Seimone, etc., the unpredictability of what you are going to get from Candace can turn this series. With her engaged, I think the Sparks take it.

2. Sylvia Fowles - Sparks are going to have to do it by committee, and Syl will still get hers. Griner was good preparation, but, right now, I think Syl is playing on a higher level. She is more agile, more explosive, and stronger. On the defensive end, our posts are going to have to make her work, draw her away from the basket, knock down consistent jumpers.

3. Defense - Perimeter - Will be interested to see how the teams match up on the perimeter. My guess is Minn hides Whalen on Beard, puts Moore on Gray, and Augustus on Sims. Gray and Sims need to use their youth, quickness, etc. to tire Moore and Augustus out on the defensive end so that they have less energy on offense. On the flip side, I think they put Sims on Whalen, Beard on Moore (of course), and Gray on Augustus. Minn's advantage here is Augustus. Gray has to stay disciplined and try to stay in front of her. She's going to get hers.

4. Defense - Post - I am looking forward to this matchup of Parker-Ogwumike-Lavender vs. Fowles-Brunson-Pierson-Howard. LA cannot double as quickly on Fowles as they did with Griner, but if they can double quickly (before Fowles sees it) I think they can get a couple turnovers off of her as I feel like she is not the best passer out of a double team. I hope foul trouble doesn't play too big of a role as Minn really needs Brunson and LA really needs Ogwumike.

5. Bench Depth - Similar to last year, a lot of hype about how Minn is "nine deep" while LA only plays seven to eight. Maybe I am an impossible homer, but I don't think it makes a difference. Montgomery can make big shots, but she also tends to make bonehead plays. Granted I don't watch a lot of Minn games, but Perkins seems good, but not great. Howard is still a work in progress to me, lots of tools there, lots of athleticism, but just a tough matchup against Parker and Ogwumike. Pierson is just slow. She can bang down low, set some good screens, but she can't guard Parker and Ogwumike in the open court. This is why it's so important for Brunson to stay out of foul trouble.

LA's bench is basically Carson and Lavender, with an occasional sprinkling of R. Williams. Lavender has been inconsistent this season, while Carson has been a bit of a head-scratcher at times, but I think they do enough on the court to spell the starters. Also, props to Agler for having a pretty good rotation of getting rest for his starters. I hope the week off gives enough time for Williams to get back into rhythm and that she is able to get into the rotation. I would love for Wiese to be able to get some minutes, but she is a defensive liability, and it might be risky in the finals. She puts in the effort, but yeah, probably not rook.

Looking forward to a great matchup! Go Sparks!
toad455

PostPosted: 09/18/17 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

voting is currently even at 16 apiece.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 09/18/17 3:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's something about this Sparks team , there not afraid of the lynx unlike majority of the league . I believe they actually know and believe they have a shot to win or even might be slightly better . Unlike last years surprise this year wont be that much of a shock if the sparks win . I truly believe they are the better team overall .

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 09/18/17 5:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

now 28-17, LA.

PostPosted: 09/18/17 6:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Had to edit my comment.

I have no idea who's going to win because the circumstances have changed in regards to the backcourt matchups.LA guarded Seimone with more size in last years finals.That task now belongs to O.Sims.Does Sims have the size to contain Seimone ? Can Seimone keep sims out of the painted area.Will Sims try to do too much in her first finals appearance ?....The Gray/Whalen matchup will also be key.Gray is no longer a luxury.LA need her to play under control,limit the turnovers,and get buckets.Whalen is well rested.....

The Augustus/Sims and Whalen/Gray matchups will decide this series.Coach Reeve usually shortens the rotation in the finals.Bench play will be even.

Last edited by zune69 on 09/19/17 6:24 am; edited 1 time in total
patsweetpat

PostPosted: 09/18/17 8:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
I think it'll be similar to last year's results where each team wins one on the road and it comes down to game 5 again.

This sounds right to me.

It also sounds like a really entertaining series. Just like last year's Finals was.

barryi22

PostPosted: 09/18/17 8:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sparks in 4 or 5. They are just so complete with Sims emerging as a steady contributor and both Parker/Gray are much improved from a year ago. Parker, Sims and Gray are all outstanding playmakers and Ogwumike is one of the most efficient players in the league inside 15 feet.

I was worried this year that Parker might take her foot off the gas after winning a title, but if anything she seems laser focused, is bringing it defensively and as a result she has been the standout of the playoffs so far. She really elevates the play of her team and her chemistry with Gray is outstanding.

I think Sims and Gray taking over the perimeter spots has also been huge for the team's success. Sims in the last 14 games has averaged 16.5 per game, and Gray has had an All-WNBA caliber year. LA has gone 15-2 in their last 17 wins with two wins over the Lynx.

The Lynx are doing great as of late, but I think LA is the better team right now with Parker playing as well as she has and Sims elevating her play. Fowles is a handful and Moore is Moore so I won't be shocked if they win, but if Parker and Co. play their best I don't Minnesota winning 3 games.

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 09/18/17 8:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sparks in 4 or 5. They're younger and fresher. Minnesota is still good but they are slipping and can't hang with the Sparks any longer. Next year, LA will be facing the Sun or Wings in the finals. Yes the Wings (especially if Cambage returns).

UK1996

PostPosted: 09/18/17 9:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Parker is a pretty good defender when she wants to be. The question is, does she keep up the defensive intensity? Parker, Beard, and Nneka have to stay out of foul trouble to repeat.

PostPosted: 09/18/17 9:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can’t bet against Maya. Odd years are for the Lynx.

PostPosted: 09/18/17 11:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

The late betting was almost all on the Sparks Now 39 - 19. Let's hope the basement dwellers are right for the good of the league, the world, and the universe. Razz

tfan

PostPosted: 09/18/17 11:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
adamj95 wrote:

Detroit Shock in 2007 and 2008. Lost to Phoenix and beat San Antonio. May not have made a difference, but was bummed when Erin Perperoglou (Buescher) blew out her knee in early July that year right after being named WNBA Player of the Week and helping the Stars beat the Shock in Detroit 71-68.

Aladyyn

PostPosted: 09/19/17 3:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gimme Lynx in 5

toad455

PostPosted: 09/19/17 5:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The voting is now in favor of the Sparks, 40 - 20.

Randy

PostPosted: 09/19/17 6:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From the tipping contest we have learned that the RebKell Polls are right about 67% of the time for single games. That was for single games, but should be an encouraging sign for Sparks fans.

Aladyyn

PostPosted: 09/19/17 6:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think people are underrating the Lynx. Or maybe it's just the underdog mentality taking over.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: