RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

First Amendment & Boobs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 09/15/17 10:45 pm    ::: First Amendment & Boobs Reply Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Sports commentator Clay Travis is drawing criticism after making controversial remarks to a female CNN anchor on live television, causing the host to abruptly end the interview.

Quote:
"I want to make sure I heard you correctly as a woman anchoring the show," Baldwin responded to Travis, with a puzzled look on her face. "What did you just say? You believe in the First Amendment and b-double o-b-s?"

Travis confirmed, adding that breasts and the First Amendment alone had "never let (him) down in this entire country's history."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/2017/09/15/clay-travis-cnn-boobs-brooke-baldwin/671619001/

Column by the anchor Brooke Baldwin.

Quote:
...my initial thought bubble was: "Did I hear that correctly?? There's no WAY he just came on my show and said what I think he said. ... DID HE?" And I let it hang.

My executive producer Eric (who has worked with me for years) knows me, read my face and quickly got in my ear from the control room and asked: "Did he say 'booze'?" Apparently, my producers behind the scenes were all scrambling, trying to figure out the same thing. "What did he just say?"

I just couldn't let this go.

So I jumped back in and spelled it out like a fourth-grade boy: "b-double-o-b-s?!"

Yes. "Boobs." He eventually confirmed: "boobs." Almost proud, smirking.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/15/opinions/espn-and-women-in-2017-brooke-baldwin-opinion/index.html

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 09/15/17 11:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like Brooke Baldwin. She's about the only thing on CNN I do like.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 09/15/17 11:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:

A clever deflection.

The thread topic is whether you like the First Amendment and boobs. Personally, I'm too old to remember. Are they about redressing some WNBA player named "grievance"?
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 09/16/17 3:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:

A clever deflection.

The thread topic is whether you like the First Amendment and boobs. Personally, I'm too old to remember. Are they about redressing some WNBA player named "grievance"?

You're not sucking me into this one, Glenn. Shocked

PUmatty

PostPosted: 09/16/17 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I really wish people would learn civics. The First Amendment has nothing to do with this.

pilight

PostPosted: 09/16/17 1:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I really wish people would learn anatomy. Boobs have nothing to do with this.

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 09/16/17 1:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

who are Brooke Baldwin and Clay Travis?

PostPosted: 09/16/17 4:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
I really wish people would learn civics. The First Amendment has nothing to do with this.

x________

Also, ew.

PostPosted: 09/16/17 5:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
who are Brooke Baldwin and Clay Travis?

And Keith Reed.

I watched this exchange even before this topic was posted. The three of them were having a serious discussion about whether some ESPN person named Jemele Hill should be fired for tweeting that Trump is a white supremacist.

Travis is apparently a radio sports guy. He was answering the question in a very serious and intelligent way, in my opinion, defending Hill against a firing but arguing that ESPN was inconsistent and hypocritical in the way it handled Curt Schilling's political comments. In the middle of his analysis, Travis makes the comment that the only things he believes in absolutely are the First Amendment and boobs, and then goes on to defend Hill and compare to Schilling.

The host, Brooke Baldwin, begins ignoring the entire discussion to perseverate, perseverate and perseverate on what Travis said, boobs or booze, and interrupting him to ask how he spells boobs. She finally ends the session.

I think Travis thought he was making an interesting or funny contrast, but in any event, everyone including the Washington Post agrees this is a signature line Travis has used many times before in print and on air:

Quote:
But the network really shouldn't have been surprised by Travis's crass remark. He has used the line before.

Travis's position is that Hill ought to be able to say whatever she pleases but that ESPN has acted hypocritically by keeping her on the air, after disciplining other personalities for making politically charged comments.

This is who Travis is. CNN ought to have known what it was getting.

Perhaps Mercfan and Jammer should argue for a month or so as to whether host Brooke Baldwin was "sexist" in the way she treated Travis. After all, would anyone on CNN have batted and eyelash if a female sports analyst had quipped that she's an absolutist when it comes to the First Amendment and pecs.
mercfan3

PostPosted: 09/16/17 7:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You know, the 15 year old boys I work with know better than to say shit like this. (or at least know when they should and when they shouldn't..) And they understand why.

And yet, somehow..so many of the over 50 crowd doesn't seem to get it.

PostPosted: 09/16/17 11:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, that's my issue with this. Time and place.

I don't know if I would go as far as to call it "sexist" as much as just wildly inappropriate, and in most workplaces a call from HR would be soon to come.

Even though it is something he says all the time, he needs to know that saying it on CNN is not okay. And it is not unreasonable that CNN would expect him not to say it. When Howard Stern was on America's Got Talent, he sure as hell didn't say the same things he says on his radio program.

But ultimately I agree with the Tweet from the conservative editor at The Red State:

- Clay Travis shouldn't be confused with a deep thinker.
- It actually wasn't appropriate.
- It's not the end of the world.

As for the whole Curt Shilling thing, his point was dumb. Curt was not fired for what he said, he was fired for repeatedly doing it after being warned not to (and having previously even been suspended for it). When your place of employment tells you to knock it off, and you don't, you tend to get fired. That's what happened to Curt.

Jemele is a first time offender. In their statement ESPN said that her comment was inappropriate and that the matter had been addressed with her. In other words, if she does it again she'll probably get the Shilling treatment.

PostPosted: 09/17/17 6:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jemele Hill is not a first time offender, and she's also been suspended before

PostPosted: 09/17/17 9:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Jemele Hill is not a first time offender, and she's also been suspended before

Not for being political. She made a Hitler reference about the Celtics 10 years ago. "Rooting for the Celtics is like saying Hitler was a victim," was her exact quote.

While ESPN could group these together if they were looking for an excuse to fire her, they are not really the same thing and an offense a decade ago is hardly comparable to what Shilling repeatedly did in a short time.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: