RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

One-and-done unintended consequence?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 09/15/17 8:14 pm    ::: One-and-done unintended consequence? Reply Reply with quote

So...for the second straight season we are seeing semis that are less than compelling. Not to entirely blame the one-and-done, because maybe NY and CT would have lost anyway. But, it goes without saying that the shorter the number of games, the greater the likelihood of a lower seed beating a higher seed. Further, I think that both CT and NY were better equipped to challenge the top 2 seeds in a longer series due to things like matchups and attrition.

So, looking back, we do know that there was a very well-attended Seattle-Phoenix late regular season game that had major playoff ramifications. That's all well and good. We also saw the 8 and 7 seeds get bounced in two games of pretty inferior quality.

As for the second round one-and-dones, maybe the outcome would have been the same in best of 3s, but let's face it. Best of 3s are going to change everything. The mindset of the players entering game 1. The potential for adjustments after game 1 that might be impactful, etc.

In any case, the bottom line is that if you had a situation with top 6 making the playoffs with first-round best of 3s, you'd probably increase the likelihood of more compelling semis. You'd get rid of the 8 and 7 seeds and you'd decrease the likelihood of a 6 or 5 seed pulling off a victory.

So I guess what I am asking is whether or not these one-and-dones are a "penny wise pound foolish" way of doing business? The WNBA has eliminated the first round best of 3s that weren't profitable while theoretically adding one-and-dones that would make for more compelling TV. However, we've seen very lackluster semifinals last year and so far this year. Isn't that the bigger picture?

It's not just that the Libs are out of it for me either. I watched the game 1s in the semis. Last night I feel asleep at 9:30 and I didn't even turn on the Minnesota-DC game. Even when I saw DC was up I gave them very little chance to win. The lack of compelling game 1s really reduced my interest in the game 2s. I watched the finals last year. I will again this year. No interest in the semis though. That says something.

PostPosted: 09/15/17 8:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I had the same feeling. I was looking forward to the Sparks/Lynx having to face the Sun and the 10-in-a-row Liberty and was wondering if Phoenix/Washington would have won a 3-game series. But a 3 game series is still pretty short. I have heard claims that the best team always wins a 7 game series, but that probably doesn't hold for a 3 game series.

hangtyme24

PostPosted: 09/15/17 8:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree with you 100%. Im all for the top 6 teams making the playoffs. I hope the W makes the switch soon. Maybe the owners and players prefer the current format. Idk.

PostPosted: 09/15/17 8:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hopefully with the new CBA. I don't think the players like the format either. The thought of a Sparks-Liberty & a Lynx-Sun semis seemed very exciting. This Lynx-Mystics series is exactly what I expected, a snoozer.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Speebs56

PostPosted: 09/15/17 9:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought the Mystics-Lynx semi last night (Thursday) was great! It was a close game, Whay was a sparkplug in last 2 minutes. And it made for exciting b-ball.

Randy

PostPosted: 09/15/17 9:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't agree with the premise that the one and done changes outcomes that much particularly in round 2. Perhaps plight has specific data but my guess is the team that wins game 1 in a 3 game series wins the series something like 70 percent of the time. In this case it was the road teams that won so they would have been the home team for game 2 further helping theit odds of winning the series.

A second question is what would have made NY or CT any more likely to have produced a more compelling series than Phx or DC.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 09/15/17 9:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
A second question is what would have made NY or CT any more likely to have produced a more compelling series than Phx or DC.

Given what we've seen--New York lost at home to Washington, Connecticut lost at home to Phoenix--people's thoughts about how exciting it might have been to see New York against Los Angeles and/or Connecticut against Minnesota now look rather questionable.

PostPosted: 09/15/17 10:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Hopefully with the new CBA. I don't think the players like the format either. The thought of a Sparks-Liberty & a Lynx-Sun semis seemed very exciting. This Lynx-Mystics series is exactly what I expected, a snoozer.

The players I've talked to don't like the single elimination, but they hate the idea of cutting the playoffs back to six teams.

PostPosted: 09/15/17 10:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Only one day of rest before a 5 game series when most of that day was spent traveling is just asinine...3 days rest before rd 1(1 gm)....but only 1 day of rest before rd 2(5 gms)....Taurasi was dead ass tired in gm 1.She went 2-5 from the ft line.Probably cost phoenix a game 1 victory.I'm sure Washington was also tired.

3 days of rest before 1 gm elimination and 1 day of rest before a 5 game series is just stupidity.Especially when the home teams have been resting for 5 full days.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 09/15/17 10:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
toad455 wrote:

The players I've talked to don't like the single elimination, but they hate the idea of cutting the playoffs back to six teams.

Well, damn.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Mysticsfan12

PostPosted: 09/16/17 12:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Speebs56 wrote:
I thought the Mystics-Lynx semi last night (Thursday) was great! It was a close game, Whay was a sparkplug in last 2 minutes. And it made for exciting b-ball.

Exactly! If the next one ends in a Mystics win, it'll be a fun Game 4.

PostPosted: 09/16/17 12:08 am    ::: Re: One-and-done unintended consequence? Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
So I guess what I am asking is whether or not these one-and-dones are a "penny wise pound foolish" way of doing business? The WNBA has eliminated the first round best of 3s that weren't profitable while theoretically adding one-and-dones that would make for more compelling TV. However, we've seen very lackluster semifinals last year and so far this year. Isn't that the bigger picture?

It's not just that the Libs are out of it for me either. I watched the game 1s in the semis. Last night I feel asleep at 9:30 and I didn't even turn on the Minnesota-DC game. Even when I saw DC was up I gave them very little chance to win. The lack of compelling game 1s really reduced my interest in the game 2s. I watched the finals last year. I will again this year. No interest in the semis though. That says something.

Unfortunately, the league is now similar to the way it is in the NBA, where there's 2 top teams in GSW and CLE, and every other team is in the distant 2nd tier. In the W, there's MIN and LA. I've ranked NY as the 3rd best team in the league 2 years in a row, which is an impressive feat, but they're still in the 2nd tier. Need another star.. Idea

In short, that 'playoff boredom' seems to be more of a function of the teams involved. Currently, in the NBA, the 1st round series are also more interesting than the semis. Back in the 2000's there were ~8 different teams that were Championship-caliber (most of them in the Western Conference) which made all the playoffs interesting to watch. Now there's only 2. So the boredom is less of a function of the format than the teams.. Confused At least now, we can get a MIN-LA Finals instead of a PHO-CHI one..

I've been watching the semis just to watch it, but I just don't have any thing to say other than 'I expect MIN and LA to win'. And a similar story to yours, I almost fell asleep during the post-Leonard-injury GSW-SA semis, and I was at the game! Had to buy one of those $8 cups of coffee so I didn't look bored on TV Razz

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 09/16/17 3:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Uneven series can happen anywhere along the standings. This year there seems to be 2 top teams, followed by the rest. Is that always the case though? I don't think a system should be designed around an assumption about where the level changes.
Single eliminations might not be ideal, but turning a crappy, one-sided contest into a multi-game series isn't ideal either.
At least under the current system, 6 teams get a home playoff game, and the games involving the lesser teams are meaningful. There's more at stake in an elimination game than in game 1 of (potentially) 5, and that fact increases the value of the game for the fans & players.
Personally I'd be fine with having the semi finals as best-of-3 series. Not because this season happens to feature only 2 top teams, but because 1-1-3-5 flows better to me than 1-1-5-5. If you have a system that allows an average team to get lucky, then it's perhaps better not to commit to a 5-game series against the best teams.

Also, regarding upset results, how about a little perspective. NY finished high on the standings, but come 2016 playoff time they had injury issues, and finished the regular season on a 3 game losing streak. No one was shocked that they lost to Phoenix. Similarly, this year, the Sun had a great season, but they entered the playoffs in a form slump too. If a "good" team is struggling at the wrong end of the season it's unfortunate, but in those cases it's debatable whether giving them more games is going to help.

I'm pretty certain that the WNBA playoffs in general would be a lot better attended if the dates were known at the start of the season, the venues were the same as the regular season venues, and if a substantial proportion of the fans were able to pay for their seat several months in advance. i.e. if the circumstances were the same as for regular season games. We have the same issues down here with both the mens & womens leagues, and it is much more a result of people not being able to plan ahead, than a result of people not wanting to watch playoff basketball.
But the fact is that until the league is more popular, the "best" playoff system is always going to be compromised towards the "more profitable" (or should that be "least-costly") system.

PostPosted: 09/16/17 7:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LA and Minny would have slapped around whatever teams they were facing.

PostPosted: 09/16/17 7:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My preferences would be a 3 game semi-finals, instead of a 5, saving the 5 game series for the finals.

Aladyyn

PostPosted: 09/16/17 7:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
LA and Minny would have slapped around whatever teams they were facing.

No way, the teams that couldn't win at home against Phoenix and Washington would definitely be taking road games from Minny and LA!! Laughing

RP

PostPosted: 09/16/17 8:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mystics had a lead in Game 2 with under five minutes to play. I'm not sure how two road losses can be looked at as validation, but a 14-point loss at home can be overlooked.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 09/16/17 8:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe best of 3 series and then the finals best of 5

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
OtterlyAmused

PostPosted: 09/16/17 10:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I attended Game 2 of the Lynx/ Mystics series and it was a great game to watch. The Mystics are absolutely semi worthy. I'm sure the Liberty and Sun would've been fun in either series too, but I think that says more in a good way about the upper half of WNBA teams this season. Also, I'd now attend any WNBA game at The Barn - great atmosphere.

Toliver can be crazy and score in waves. I've been to games to see EDDin person before but never as up close as this week. She's phenomenal.

If I was a fan of higher seeded team that lost I'd be pretty bummed, but I don't think it makes the semis uninteresting. I don't think single elimination is the worst thing... The entire NCAA basketball tourney plays out that way and I didn't see many UConn fans dwelling on they didn't get to play Mississippi State in a best of 3, although I'm pretty certain the result of which team would've moved on would have changed.

I'm not opposed to a one game or best of three. I've been more disappointed for this board is putting down Phoenix and Washington and I actually find both teams as good tough match ups in the semis and fun ball. I think some fans are missing out.

My bigger concern than the format is I've watched too many playoff games over the years in the W I feel the refs have greatly influenced. That would be my real concern with a single elimination playoff game. Being eliminated one of those nights would be a lot tougher than seeing Toliver just light up my team for 9 treys.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 09/16/17 11:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Right now there's been two enjoyable games out of 8 in the playoffs. The Mystics are worthy. They have talent. But I thought CT matched up better to Minnesota. And PHX with DT unbeaten in one game eliminations, looks like they don't belong on the floor with LA, even with Parker at less than 100%.

It's also the second year in a row the semis have been a disappointment though I do think last year's Libs probably would have gotten killed in the semis. [/i]

PostPosted: 09/16/17 4:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Right now there's been two enjoyable games out of 8 in the playoffs. The Mystics are worthy. They have talent. But I thought CT matched up better to Minnesota. And PHX with DT unbeaten in one game eliminations, looks like they don't belong on the floor with LA, even with Parker at less than 100%.

It's also the second year in a row the semis have been a disappointment though I do think last year's Libs probably would have gotten killed in the semis. [/i]

Maybe New York could have put up a fight, maybe.

CT would be getting spanked right now. They're too young. A tired Phoenix looked like they could beat LA in their first game, not sure what you are watching? I'd like to see both Mystics and Phoenix get a win tomorrow..because I do think they have the talent to make it a series, it's just..ultimately..there's an obvious outcome.

We have to face the reality that LA and Minny are just on a different level than anyone else.

PostPosted: 09/16/17 5:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't want the Mystics to win because I don't want the W playing in the Georgetown dump

PostPosted: 09/16/17 5:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like the proposed 1-1-3-5 game format.

I honestly don't think these semifinals would be any more or less interesting if NY or CON had advanced. Both those teams proved they crack under pressure so I'm not sure what people think would be happening if they were playing LA or Minny now; it likely would be similar to what we see with the current match ups. At the end of the day, the fact is, LA and Minny have more talent and are playing significantly better than all the other teams right now.

Aladyyn

PostPosted: 09/16/17 5:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
I don't want the Mystics to win because I don't want the W playing in the Georgetown dump

I'll settle for a heartbreaking OT loss.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 09/16/17 8:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

Maybe New York could have put up a fight, maybe.

CT would be getting spanked right now. They're too young. A tired Phoenix looked like they could beat LA in their first game, not sure what you are watching? I'd like to see both Mystics and Phoenix get a win tomorrow..because I do think they have the talent to make it a series, it's just..ultimately..there's an obvious outcome.

We have to face the reality that LA and Minny are just on a different level than anyone else.

This could be all true. But I'll just add one simple thing. Put Minnesota and LA in a one-and-done scenario with a week off against a team that's played a few days before, and they're also more vulnerable than they would be in a best-of-3 or a best-of-5.

My point isn't to criticize the teams involved so much as the system itself, which is what I think people are missing. It has been said by Bill Laimbeer that this system is in place to accommodate television. His actual words. So, if that's the goal, the end result should be more compelling basketball. The result hasn't been that. While we may have had the same outcomes with CT and NY advancing, there's another issue at play. It's 1 playoff game and out for those teams. Nothing else for the fans of those teams. No opportunity for adjustments and 1 other game at least to see if adjusting has an impact. I'd think fans and players of the 3 and 4 seeds deserve that much. Even if you leave the first round just the way it is. Throw the 3 and 4 seeds a little more of a bone for finishing ahead of the 5-8 seeds. Especially if the intended consequence of the new system (more entertaining for TV) hasn't happened.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: