34%
 34%  [ 8 ]
Sparks
65%
 65%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 23

jap

PostPosted: 09/14/17 11:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What's wrong with that wascally little Bunny? Is she trying to become the 'goto' player for the Merc? Razz

PostPosted: 09/14/17 11:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good win LA! I don't think I ever seen Nneka flex on them Laughing The backcourt of Sims & Gray have been giving teams all kinds of problems. CP is still one of the best in the league.

Mitchell played big.

jap

PostPosted: 09/14/17 11:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Libra_Girl wrote:
Good win LA! I don't think I ever seen Nneka flex on them Laughing The backcourt of Sims & Gray have been giving teams all kinds of problems. CP is still one of the best in the league.

Mitchell played big.

The scary thing is: this LA team is probably better than last year's team. Minny's big guards usually gave Kristi problems getting open looks. However, Chelsea, Odyssey, and Riquna are all bigger & tougher than Kristi. They can storm the paint fearlessly or pull up quickly & take open jumpers. Riquna's development into an integrated team player is still very much a work in progress, but Odyssey has essentially arrived with plenty of room to grow still. All this translates to easier opportunities for the bigs when the guards are producing.

Last edited by jap on 09/15/17 1:22 am; edited 2 times in total
myt

PostPosted: 09/14/17 11:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jap wrote:
Libra_Girl wrote:

Mitchell played big.

The scary thing is: this LA team is probably better than last year's team. Minny's big guards usually gave Kristi problems getting open looks. However, Chelsea, Odyssey, and Riquna are all bigger & tougher than Kristi. They can storm the paint fearlessly and pull up quickly and take open jumpers. Riquna's development into an integrated team player is still very much a work in progress but Odyssey has essentially arrived with plenty of room to grow still. All this translates to easier opportunities for the bigs when the guards are producing.

X ____________________

Good win for the Sparks! Cool

PostPosted: 09/15/17 5:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was expecting a sweep in the Mystics-Lynx series, but I really thought the Mercury would give the Sparks a good run. We just haven't seen the good version of the Mercury in this series. The Mercury that beat the Sun & Wings in the first two rounds.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
kojthiabkuv

PostPosted: 09/15/17 7:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
I was expecting a sweep in the Mystics-Lynx series, but I really thought the Mercury would give the Sparks a good run. We just haven't seen the good version of the Mercury in this series. The Mercury that beat the Sun & Wings in the first two rounds.

maybe Sunday we'll see that team when it's the "elimination" game...?

tfan

PostPosted: 09/15/17 7:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Two years ago the Sparks couldn't fill that 4,200 or 5,000 seat (Wikipedia has both) Long Beach State arena for their Lynx playoff game, but it looked full last night.

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 09/15/17 7:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jap wrote:
The scary thing is: this LA team is probably better than last year's team.

I ran into Alana Beard at a shopping center in Culver City a couple of months ago and I told her how stoked my family was about the banner the Sparks won last season, and she said exactly the above to me.

caune

PostPosted: 09/15/17 7:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Two years ago the Sparks couldn't fill that 4,200 or 5,000 seat (Wikipedia has both) Long Beach State arena for their Lynx playoff game, but it looked full last night.

100's of Mercury fans made the trip Smile

PostPosted: 09/15/17 7:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

The Mercury just doesn;t have the talent to beat LA.

PostPosted: 09/15/17 7:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
toad455 wrote:

It's pretty miraculous that the Merc are here at all. All they have is Griner and Taurasi. The rest is scrubbery. Brondello deserved more COY attention.

PostPosted: 09/15/17 8:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
The officiating isn't the only thing that is screwed up. I went to the play by play to check the time on the first basket by Parker which certainly appeared to be after the 24 second clock ran out. The times are completely messed up for the first two minutes. I'm not sure if they ever went back and checked the video but it is one more example of the WNBA not running a first class operation. I wonder if the play by play issue at the scorer's table contributed to the mistake on the Parker foul, or if it was a way of covering up the 24 second violation. Either way, really bad form.

For what it's worth, I looked at it pretty closely and I think she just got it off in time. It's also possible that Gray's previous shot just barely glanced the edge of the rim, and therefore the clock should've reset to 14 anyway. They signalled when it went in that they were going to review, which would've happened at the first timeout after the play.

The screwup with that foul was odd. Nneka was nowhere near the play, so the confusion might've come down to one being '3' and one being '3-0'. But it took them far too long to fix, especially considering the TV broadcast was going on about it almost immediately.

PostPosted: 09/15/17 9:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So many comments about the officiating ...

I remember talking to a ref one time after a game in which both coaches were on the officials constantly. "It was like they were more interested in coaching me than their players."

Hey, they made bad calls and an early stupid mistake.

How about that stretch for Phoenix when they kept throwing the ball to the Sparks? Or the six points from the Mercury bench in almost 42 minutes?

Of course I've said all this before, and it's human nature to complain about authority figures, but still ...

L.A. is just too good for Phoenix -- even though Leilani Mitchell is the real deal and not just some mascot who's getting charity minutes.

PostPosted: 09/15/17 10:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
caune wrote:
toad455 wrote:

It's pretty miraculous that the Merc are here at all. All they have is Griner and Taurasi. The rest is scrubbery. Brondello deserved more COY attention.

Leilani: "I'm no damn scrub, Matey!!! Look at the game film again, and watch me work!!!" Laughing

PostPosted: 09/15/17 10:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wouldn't be shocked if LA wins 3 titles in a row.

Last edited by zune69 on 09/15/17 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
boom*NNEKA*nneka

PostPosted: 09/15/17 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great game last night from my hometown Sparks. A few impressions from last night's game.

1. Candace Parker - With the exception of Game 1 where she was playing in obvious pain, for the past several games, she have been laser focused. I love watching her play when she is engaged. She does so many things so well. She was really working hard when guarding Griner, working for position, pushing her off her spot, playing straight up, etc. It was fantastic. Yes, I am one of the first ones to call out her laziness and taking plays off, but I will also be one of the first to commend her when she plays her ass off, like she has been doing lately.

2. Leilani Mitchell - She has showed me something in this series. Not just her three ball, but her drives to the basket, her quickness. She has looked like much more than a role player on this Phoenix team.

3 Odyssey Sims - I had a lot of doubts about her in the beginning of the season, but I am glad that she has proved me wrong. She still needs to work on the consistency of her jump shots, but I love her passion, her desire to get to the basket, and the energy (on both ends) with which she plays.

Phoenix can still be dangerous, but as others have pointed out, and no disrespect intended, they simply don't have the talent to hang around with LA. Let's get this sweep LA!
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 09/15/17 12:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jap wrote:

The scary thing is: this LA team is probably better than last year's team. Minny's big guards usually gave Kristi problems getting open looks. However, Chelsea, Odyssey, and Riquna are all bigger & tougher than Kristi. They can storm the paint fearlessly or pull up quickly & take open jumpers. Riquna's development into an integrated team player is still very much a work in progress, but Odyssey has essentially arrived with plenty of room to grow still. All this translates to easier opportunities for the bigs when the guards are producing.

Phoenix also makes LA's guards look better than they are. Mitchell can't defend anyone, but especially Phoenix's bigger more physical guards, and Taurasi chooses not to bother guarding anybody.

It's easier to look like world beaters when nobody is playing defense against you.

Sims looks like they're playing 5 on 4 for as much resistance as she's receiving on her drives to the rim.

jap

PostPosted: 09/15/17 1:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
jap wrote:

Phoenix also makes LA's guards look better than they are. Mitchell can't defend anyone, but especially Phoenix's bigger more physical guards, and Taurasi chooses not to bother guarding anybody.

It's easier to look like world beaters when nobody is playing defense against you.

Sims looks like they're playing 5 on 4 for as much resistance as she's receiving on her drives to the rim.

My focus here is not! on LA vs Phoenix exclusively, but LA as they have been coming together down the season's stretch. They have multiple players who can facilitate the offense, and when all are healthy & flowing it makes for some of the best bball I have seen this season.

PostPosted: 09/15/17 8:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

boom*NNEKA*nneka wrote:
Great game last night from my hometown Sparks. A few impressions from last night's game.

1. Candace Parker - With the exception of Game 1 where she was playing in obvious pain, for the past several games, she have been laser focused. I love watching her play when she is engaged. She does so many things so well. She was really working hard when guarding Griner, working for position, pushing her off her spot, playing straight up, etc. It was fantastic. Yes, I am one of the first ones to call out her laziness and taking plays off, but I will also be one of the first to commend her when she plays her ass off, like she has been doing lately.

2. Leilani Mitchell - She has showed me something in this series. Not just her three ball, but her drives to the basket, her quickness. She has looked like much more than a role player on this Phoenix team.

3 Odyssey Sims - I had a lot of doubts about her in the beginning of the season, but I am glad that she has proved me wrong. She still needs to work on the consistency of her jump shots, but I love her passion, her desire to get to the basket, and the energy (on both ends) with which she plays.

Phoenix can still be dangerous, but as others have pointed out, and no disrespect intended, they simply don't have the talent to hang around with LA. Let's get this sweep LA!
. Spot on analysis. LA absolutely has better talent, they got Sims, we got Robinson. Need I say more😣

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: