RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

UConn 2017-18 Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 08/22/17 6:13 pm    ::: UConn 2017-18 Thread Reply Reply with quote

This is an experiment in consolidating general UConn discussion for the 2017-18 season into one thread, a la the WNBA forum.

Here's a video on 5-9 freshman guard Mikayla Coombs, who reminds me a little of the high school Bria Hartley.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UmOlpEgQi1U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 08/23/17 1:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Very curious to see Azura Stevens' development under Geno Auriemma, specifically in the areas of passing (and improving her A/TO) and whether she can be more of a consistent three-point threat (hit almost 36 percent from three as a sophomore, but averaged just under one made three per game).

myrtle

PostPosted: 08/23/17 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Very curious to see Azura Stevens' development under Geno Auriemma, specifically in the areas of passing (and improving her A/TO) and whether she can be more of a consistent three-point threat (hit almost 36 percent from three as a sophomore, but averaged just under one made three per game).

I really expect Azura to shine at UConn. Hope I'm not disappointed. I would be surprised if she followed in Butler's footsteps. She has the tools, athleticism and size to become a very, very good player.

- Amanda Gorman
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 08/23/17 9:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Can significant playing time be expected of any frosh guard?

PostPosted: 08/24/17 9:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
Can significant playing time be expected of any frosh guard?
This is one year if ever there was a year that will a remain a question for they are a gifted quartet but the roster is loaded with gifted players. How quickly can they assimilate into Geno's system which must translate into performance on both ends of the court, augmenting a returning roster that already goes 7 deep if not deeper. It is good for Geno and us UCONN fans to have such queries year after year.

PostPosted: 09/01/17 9:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7C4SIkOdVLI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 09/02/17 10:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Geno Auriemma Betting Huskies' Italian Tour Will Pay Off

Quote:
Against Celje, the team from Slovenia, UConn lost by 20 points in a game in which the freshman received significant playing time. It was lesson for the newcomers.

"[The freshmen] came out of high school with a certain sense of, this is who I am, this is what I can do, this is how good I am," Auriemma said. "Everybody's told me since the time I was 12 that I'm great. Nobody can stop me and I got it all figured out. Then they got to campus for the first week [in May] and they struggled with our fitness test. So I'm like, 'How's the basketball part ever going to happen if you can't do this part?'

"Then we go over there and they have a little bit success. But in the Slovenia game, when I played them in the second half, those kids really showed them — 'You guys thought you were pretty good basketball players wherever you were in high school? Well guess what? This ain't high school.' So it was good. It was good for them to see that in August instead of waiting until November to see it. That's the whole point of the trip."
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 09/08/17 5:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tonight, Rebecca Lobo will be one of 11 new members inducted into the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame.

What's generally not reported is that she's not being inducted in the player category but as a "contributor", which is an essentially undefined category left to the discretion of the nominating committees. The other contributor inductees this year are Mannie Jackson, Tom Jernstedt and Jerry Krause. Including this class, there have been 65 or 66 contributor inductees since 1959, depending how Sweetwater Clifton is categorized.

The only other female being inducted this year is Muffet McGraw, in the coach category.

http://www.hoophall.com/index.php/events/enshrinement/class-of-2017
linkster

PostPosted: 09/09/17 4:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There is another thread that points out that UConn lists 9 guards on it's roster so it seems odd that I think that is where UConn is most vulnerable. Among the core 7 players, Nurse, Williams, Stevens, Samuelson and Dangerfield are all listed at guard but only Dangerfield has the quickness needed to guard players like Canada & McCarty. Other possibilities include Bent and a couple of the freshmen but essentially UConn is counting on Dangerfield to greatly improve her defense, something that sophomores usually don't excel at.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 09/09/17 8:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As anyone familiar with my opinions is aware, I don't hold much truck for positional names and numbers. So, my pointing out that UConn has nine players listed as guards (which doesn't include Williams) in that other thread was an attempt to be mildly sarcastic. Probably someone in the SID department affixed those labels.

I agree that UConn won't have any player, called a guard or whatever, who is as competent a dribbler and ball-protector as Chong was. Dangerfield is fast but, so far, not so great at ATO. I think Willams, KLS, Collier, Nurse and Stevens all have good enough ball handling skills to run a fast break or early offense. But, no, we won't be seeing Bird and Taurasi.

Once Uconn gets into its half court offense, I don't think the absence of a "true" point guard matters. UConn moves the ball so well that forwards and centers end up with lots of assists. In fact, the truest point guard, Dangerfield, because of her diminutive height, may end up being the least effective post entry passer of the top eight players in the rotation.

As for defense, I don't think there's anything to worry about. UConn is always at or very near the top in defense. They can play a zone or their saggy, switching man-to-man to stop just about anybody. I favor big guards for those defenses. That said, UConn wasn't very effective against Morgan William, but that was a kind of flukey game.

I've said nothing about the freshman because I have no real idea how good Coombs and Gordon are as ball handlers and passers. Coombs looks good on that one highlight video, but highlight videos can be deceiving. I've been watching Andra Espinoza-Hunter since she was a seventh grader at Ossining, and she's never been anything more than an average ball handler. I don't expect Megan Walker to play guard at all, unless she miraculously develops an outside shot.

The absence of a true center with height is more of a concern, but probably not much. I will, however, be very curious to see where and how Geno plays Stevens. I recall her taking a lot of long distance chucks at Duke, and don't think that's the best primary use of someone with her 6-6 size and athleticism. She may have the skills to be a sort of all-position roamer like Stewart, but she should spend the majority of her time around the paint for short shots and rebounds.

UConn has a good chance of going undefeated.
linkster

PostPosted: 09/10/17 11:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My post was only meant to point out a flaw in an otherwise apparently invincible lineup. UConn's depth at every other position is outstanding. They may well end up fine at pg but there is at least some doubt there.

I do disagree with referring to Stevens as a "chucker" at Duke. Of her 353 shots only 53 were from behind the arc and she hit over 35%. That's two 3pt shots/game and hardly "chucking". Stewart, in her sophomore year took 140 3's and hit at 34.3%.

I expect to see Stevens take opposing true centers outside often, letting Collier and Williams post up players more their own size. That's not to say Stevens won't spend a lot of time close to the basket but I just don't see her being primarily a back to the basket low post player. At 6'6" she would make a formidable high post player, nailing shots if left uncovered and throwing passes over the zones I expect UConn will see often next season.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 09/11/17 9:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'll retract my 3pt chucker description of Stevens based on those stats. Maybe the few games I saw her were on her chuckier days. But I'm not ready without a lot of further evidence to put her in Breanna Stewart's league.

Actually, there are very few teams even in the WNBA who have a "true center". if I were an opposing coach and had one, I surely wouldn't let her follow Stevens out to the arc. I'd be playing a switchy man-to-man against UConn or probably a zone. I'd wan't my true center to stay in the paint to try to defend short shots by the much smaller-than-her Collier, Williams, Walker, Camara and Irwin.

I'd pay little defensive attention to any of UConn's top rotation bigs going out to the arc except vigorously against KLS and mildly against Stevens and Collier. But, again, not with my "true center" or best paint defender/rebounder.
bballjunkie

PostPosted: 09/12/17 9:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good call Glenn

Hopefully Stevens rep that she can shoot 3s will try to keep the D honest but from the Italy trip she will need to show effort and D. I think she will help in the passing department, so we will have 3 i.e. KLS, Gabby along with Stevens who can feed the post and see cuts and pops.

ucbart

PostPosted: 09/12/17 2:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
Good call Glenn

Hopefully Stevens rep that she can shoot 3s will try to keep the D honest but from the Italy trip she will need to show effort and D. I think she will help in the passing department, so we will have 3 i.e. KLS, Gabby along with Stevens who can feed the post and see cuts and pops.

I think where Stevens will have the most impact is against the likes of Baylor, Mississippi State and any other teams with a tall center...but not for her, but not just for her. Azura's ability to roam around the perimeter will bring someone like McCowan or Brown away from the basket. But, the really wonderful thing about that is that that person won't be guarding Williams in the high post. I thought McCowan guarding Gabby at the FT line in the FF is what cost us the game. She couldn't see or pass around her to Collier. This wreaked havoc on the offensive game plan for UCONN. Now, Gabby can pass, shoot the FT line jumper or blow by any defender, big or small for layups.

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 09/12/17 4:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I totally disagree. Passing was tight because of the occasion. Collier got the ball but was terrible. McCowan was sagging off Gabby but a little in no mans land which is why Gabby was able to take the elbow jumper or drive.

Stevens will be able to see over the D like KLS so hopefully she will be able to see the cuts and slashes along with the flares early like KLS and Gabby which will make it a nightmare for the D.

UK1996

PostPosted: 09/13/17 4:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UConn is scary. The biggest question mark is if Nurse can run the point. This team is going to be very versatile. Their bench could it's own ranked team.
Nurse/Dangerfield/Coombs/Bent
Samuelson/Espinoza-Hunter/Gordon
Williams/Walker
Collier/Irwin
Stevens/Camara

PostPosted: 09/15/17 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FULL SCHEDULE

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/091317aaa.html

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/conn/sports/w-baskbl/auto_pdf/2017-18/schedule/schedule.pdf

PostPosted: 09/19/17 10:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UConn finally has its roster picture up, and it's time for the height police to begin investigating Megan Walker, Batouly Camara, Alexis Gordon, Kyla Irwin and Napheesa Collier. Namely, is it realistic that:

- Collier and Walker are the same height (6-1)
- Camara and Irwin are the same height (6-2)
- Camara is one inch taller than Collier
- Walker is one inch taller than Gordon

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/w-baskbl/mtt/conn-w-baskbl-mtt.html

Where is Robert Ripley when you need him?

Based on this photo, if Collier is really 6-1, Camara looks 6-0 and Walker looks 5-11.
myrtle

PostPosted: 09/20/17 1:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Love the height police!

edit: and perhaps a bigger question is Gabby really 5'11" ? We know she can fly, but I still wonder about the height. Like if they could have fudged her up to 6', I'm guessing that would have been done, which makes me suspect closer to 5'10". Would like to see her back to back with Alyssa Clark for instance. I love her game, but if she's 5'10" she really really needs to develop an outside shot...like Alyssa did. I'm rooting for her.

- Amanda Gorman
UK1996

PostPosted: 09/20/17 6:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
UConn finally has its roster picture up, and it's time for the height police to begin investigating Megan Walker, Batouly Camara, Alexis Gordon, Kyla Irwin and Napheesa Collier. Namely, is it realistic that:

Based on this photo, if Collier is really 6-1, Camara looks 6-0 and Walker looks 5-11.

I would like to know Geno's real height. I have a feeling the 6'1 listing on Wikipedia is inaccurate.

linkster

PostPosted: 09/20/17 8:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Love the height police!

edit: and perhaps a bigger question is Gabby really 5'11" ? We know she can fly, but I still wonder about the height. Like if they could have fudged her up to 6', I'm guessing that would have been done, which makes me suspect closer to 5'10". Would like to see her back to back with Alyssa Clark for instance. I love her game, but if she's 5'10" she really really needs to develop an outside shot...like Alyssa did. I'm rooting for her.

Nurse is listed as 6' and Williams at 5'11". UConn lines up by height every game for the national anthem and Williams stood to the taller side of Nurse all season.

Other apparent mysteries: How does 5'9" Bent appear a smidge taller than 5'11" Espinoza-Hunter? I guess Bent has shorter legs.

The back row to my eyes looks like (tallest to shortest) Stevens 6'6"; Samuelson 6'3" Irwin 6'2"; Collier 6'1" Camara 6'2"; Gordon 6'; Walker 6'1"

We'll have to wait till we see them lined up this season for the anthem.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 09/20/17 8:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Name the opening game starters.

PostPosted: 09/20/17 8:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

The starters for Stanford:

Stevens Collier Williams Samuelson & Nurse. But remember that two starters were replaced after UConn's last game vs the Trees.

myrtle

PostPosted: 09/20/17 9:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

The starters for Stanford:

Stevens Collier Williams Samuelson & Nurse. But remember that two starters were replaced after UConn's last game vs the Trees.

no,no. the starters for Stanford are Johnson, Smith, McPhee, Sniezek, and YGGM (our secret weapon).

- Amanda Gorman
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 09/20/17 11:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

The photographer clearly arranged the places by height. The back row descends down in standing height on both sides of Stevens. The front row goes up in sitting height on both sides of Geno, who is 5-8 or 5-9 depending on shoes.

I've been on the floor with Williams and Nurse and Nurse and, though they're close, Nurse may be an inch taller.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: