Board Junkies Forums

Sugar Rodgers named 6WOY
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClayK

PostPosted: 09/11/17 10:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
I always feel that this award should go to someone whose actual "position" is sixth player. That it's by design and helpful, not simply because they're not playing well enough to start.

When Sugar has been coming off the bench this year it has been my impression that it was because she was playing like crap and had lost her starting job. It was because she had been benched, not because someone decided she could really help the team coming off the bench.

There don't seem to be a lot of good choices this year ( maybe Sims, but she was kind of a late season bloomer, it seems), but this announcement was met by me with a "what?".

In some years there are players like that - Bonner and Pierson come to mind - but in general I think this award is pretty weird and completely unnecessary.

Agreed. The award assumes that there's enough talent in a particular league that there are several players who really deserve to start but are held back by superior talent.

Note that the only sport with this kind of award is basketball, as no other major sport has an award designated for a non-starter. That reflects, in part, the fact that there are only five starters, but more so that there was a time when the NBA had too much talent and not enough teams to fully display it.

PostPosted: 09/11/17 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Like ROY, this award is virtually always based on scoring. Rodgers was eligible and averaged double digit scoring. That's pretty much the ballgame

It's puzzling that Mo Currie did so poorly in the balloting, since she was the highest scoring eligible player.

My WAG is that getting traded hurt her candidacy.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Ay Mate

PostPosted: 09/13/17 7:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rodgers, possibly the worst 6th woman of the year award winner in WNBA history.

Should have went to Montgomery easily but whatever, it's a worthless award that means basically nothing anyways. It really shouldn't even exist.

toad455

PostPosted: 09/13/17 8:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I felt it was between L. Mitchell, T. Mitchell & Montgomery. Rodgers wasn't even darkhorse for this award, IMO. I even threw in Bentley's stats, who shot the ball better than Rodgers.

STATS:
L. Mitchell(PHX): 7 GS, 21.3mpg, 8.0ppg, 3.6apg, 2.4rpg. 39% FG & 36% 3pt.
T. Mitchell(IND): 9 GS, 24.9mpg, 10.3ppg, 3.2rpg, 1.4apg. 35% FG & 24% 3pt.
Montgomery(MIN): 12 GS, 21.9mpg, 8.0ppg, 3.4apg, 1.6rpg. 42% FG & 36% 3pt.
S. Rodgers(NYL): 15 GS, 25.6mpg, 10.5ppg, 3.8rpg, 2.3apg. 34% FG & 34% 3pt.
A. Bentley(CON): 9 GS, 23.7mpg, 8.4ppg, 2.9apg, 1.5rpg. 38% FG & 29% 3pt.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Ay Mate

PostPosted: 09/13/17 11:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rogers shouldn't have even been an all-star. Should've been Courtney Williams who was playing like an all-star pretty much the entire season. But I guess they didn't want to give 4 Sun players the all-star nod. But whatever. Courtney Williams didn't even get put on an all defensive team even though she was a great defender all season long too. I mean, Williams didn't on the all defense team but January DID? Lol. Quite laughable.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 09/13/17 2:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Yeah, I'm not feeling this either. If I'd had my act together enough to vote in the Rebkell's awards thread, I'd have voted Montgomery. Sugar's been a hot mess, especially off the bench.

+1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: