RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Rank Your Conference
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PickledGinger

PostPosted: 09/12/17 3:13 pm    ::: Rank Your Conference Reply Reply with quote

Pac-12:

1a. UCLA - The two best seniors in the conference in Canada and Billings. Athletic. If they can find some consistency from outside the arc they are the team to beat.
1b. Oregon - Ionescu is a future Olympian. She, Bando and Cazorla make up one of the best perimeter units in the country. Hebard is one of the most efficient posts in the country. And they have a deep bench. If McGwire comes catches up to the other 4 starters, they're going to the Final Four.

Who wins out? Talent or experience? Is Cori Close as good of a coach as Kelly Graves?

3. Stanford - Tara will keep them in the hunt. McPhee, Smith and Johnson make up a good frontcourt but questions abound regarding their guard play.
4. California - Anigwe is a beast, and they're hyper-athletic. Defense is the key for them as perimeter shooting is an ongoing issue for this roster.
5. Oregon State - They lost a ton, but they return Scott Rueck and a great system. Pivec is going to need to step up big time in order for them to finish this high in a competitive conference.
6. Washington State - Yep, you read that right. If they can stay healthy, this is the most talented team WSU has had in at least 2 decades. They have a legit shot at finishing in the top half of the league.
7. USC - Return a lot from last season and have an opportunity to make a jump from their last-place-on-tiebreaker finish last season.
8. Arizona State - Very young, and lost their 2 best players and starting frontcourt. Scoring is going to be a major issue, but Thorne is one of the better coaches in the league and should be able to keep them from the basement with her aggressive team defense.
9. Utah - Not a lot going on from here on out, but Utah is probably the best of the rest. Emily Potter needs to have a monster season for them to even finish this high.
10. Colorado - Arbitrarily, based on Kennedy Leonard being the best player left on the board. Decent backcourt but nothing going on down low.
11. Washington - Lost EVERYTHING from last year sans Natalie Romeo. If a couple of their end-of-bench players step up and contribute this could be low, but - as much as this pains me as a Seattleite - it ain't looking good.
12. Arizona - Sorry, Adia. Keep recruiting aggressively and it'll happen for you in a couple years. It's not happening this year.

I think 5-7 teams go to the NCAAs this year.

ClayK

PostPosted: 09/13/17 10:05 am    ::: Re: Rank Your Conference Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
Pac-12:

1a. UCLA - The two best seniors in the conference in Canada and Billings. Athletic. If they can find some consistency from outside the arc they are the team to beat.
1b. Oregon - Ionescu is a future Olympian. She, Bando and Cazorla make up one of the best perimeter units in the country. Hebard is one of the most efficient posts in the country. And they have a deep bench. If McGwire comes catches up to the other 4 starters, they're going to the Final Four.

Who wins out? Talent or experience? Is Cori Close as good of a coach as Kelly Graves?

3. Stanford - Tara will keep them in the hunt. McPhee, Smith and Johnson make up a good frontcourt but questions abound regarding their guard play.
4. California - Anigwe is a beast, and they're hyper-athletic. Defense is the key for them as perimeter shooting is an ongoing issue for this roster.
5. Oregon State - They lost a ton, but they return Scott Rueck and a great system. Pivec is going to need to step up big time in order for them to finish this high in a competitive conference.
6. Washington State - Yep, you read that right. If they can stay healthy, this is the most talented team WSU has had in at least 2 decades. They have a legit shot at finishing in the top half of the league.
7. USC - Return a lot from last season and have an opportunity to make a jump from their last-place-on-tiebreaker finish last season.
8. Arizona State - Very young, and lost their 2 best players and starting frontcourt. Scoring is going to be a major issue, but Thorne is one of the better coaches in the league and should be able to keep them from the basement with her aggressive team defense.
9. Utah - Not a lot going on from here on out, but Utah is probably the best of the rest. Emily Potter needs to have a monster season for them to even finish this high.
10. Colorado - Arbitrarily, based on Kennedy Leonard being the best player left on the board. Decent backcourt but nothing going on down low.
11. Washington - Lost EVERYTHING from last year sans Natalie Romeo. If a couple of their end-of-bench players step up and contribute this could be low, but - as much as this pains me as a Seattleite - it ain't looking good.
12. Arizona - Sorry, Adia. Keep recruiting aggressively and it'll happen for you in a couple years. It's not happening this year.

The Pac-12 is very interesting. The consensus is that Cal is the fourth best team in the conference, but Cal was 6-12 in conference play last year and lost to Baylor by 40 in the NCAA tournament.

And though there are two solid freshmen recruits, Cal also lost Courtney Range, a four-year starter (I'm pretty sure), who's playing in Europe, so it's hard to see them taking a major step forward.

So if that's the fourth best team, what does that say about the eighth best team?

PostPosted: 09/13/17 12:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can't do much with the CAA because I haven't really followed recruiting that much. I will guess that JMU retains the top spot, but it will be a fight with Elon all the way. The usual suspects Drexel and Hofstra will battle it out for third and fourth place.. For the rest, I see William and Mary in rebuild mode, and with UNCW finally coming out of the basement now that they have a new coach, Towson, Delaware, and Northeastern will be fighting with Charleston to see who inhabits it. I pick Charleston, who seem to be perennially awful. So:

1.JMU
2.Elon
3.Drexel
4.Hofstra
5.William & Mary
6. UNCW
7.Towson
8.Delaware
9.Northeastern
10.Charleston

PostPosted: 09/13/17 1:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
I can't do much with the CAA because I haven't really followed recruiting that much. I will guess that JMU retains the top spot, but it will be a fight with Elon all the way. The usual suspects Drexel and Hofstra will battle it out for third and fourth place.. For the rest, I see William and Mary in rebuild mode, and with UNCW finally coming out of the basement now that they have a new coach, Towson, Delaware, and Northeastern will be fighting with Charleston to see who inhabits it. I pick Charleston, who seem to be perennially awful. So:

1.JMU
2.Elon
3.Drexel
4.Hofstra
5.William & Mary
6. UNCW
7.Towson
8.Delaware
9.Northeastern
10.Charleston

I'm not sure you can call JMU the favorite a year after losing a precious player.

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 09/14/17 12:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Southeastern Conference:

1. South Carolina
2. Mississippi State
3. Missouri
4. Kentucky
5. Tennessee
6. Texas A&M
7. Georgia
8. LSU
9. Auburn
10. Florida
11. Ole Miss
12. Alabama
13. Vanderbilt
14. Arkansas

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 09/14/17 12:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

B1G

1. Kelsey Mitchell
2. Purdue
3. Maryland
4. Michigan
5. Michigan State
6. Iowa
7. Minnesota
8. Indiana
9. Rutgers
10. Penn state
11. Wisconsin
12. Nebraska
13 Illinois
14. Northwestern

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 09/14/17 1:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SEC

1. Mississippi State
2. South Carolina
3. A&M
5. Mizzou
5. Tennessee
6. LSU
7 Georgia
8. Vanderbilt
9. Kentucky
10. Alabama
11. Florida
12. Auburn
13. Arkansas
14. Mississippi

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 09/14/17 8:57 am    ::: Re: Rank Your Conference Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
Pac-12:

That *is* the big, big if. In the half court, opponents will definitely be sagging into the paint, running under screens, playing lotsa zone. I expect UCLA will try to force plenty of turnovers and rack up as many transition buckets as they can. But when they have to manufacture points in the half court, the Bruins may find themselves struggling somewhat, I think. But we'll see!

mzonefan

PostPosted: 09/14/17 9:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
B1G

1. Kelsey Mitchell
2. Purdue
3. Maryland
4. Michigan
5. Michigan State
6. Iowa
7. Minnesota
8. Indiana
9. Rutgers
10. Penn state
11. Wisconsin
12. Nebraska
13 Illinois
14. Northwestern

Thanks for the #1 laugh.

Purdue is back?

FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 09/14/17 10:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
B1G

1. Kelsey Mitchell
2. Purdue
3. Maryland
4. Michigan
5. Michigan State
6. Iowa
7. Minnesota
8. Indiana
9. Rutgers
10. Penn state
11. Wisconsin
12. Nebraska
13 Illinois
14. Northwestern

Thanks for the #1 laugh.

Purdue is back?

Didn't Purdue lose Morissette?

summertime blues

PostPosted: 09/14/17 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FollowtheCardinalRule wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

1.JMU
2.Elon
3.Drexel
4.Hofstra
5.William & Mary
6. UNCW
7.Towson
8.Delaware
9.Northeastern
10.Charleston

I'm not sure you can call JMU the favorite a year after losing a precious player.

We expect our scoring to be much more balanced this year, rather than dependent on one player. Kayla Cooper-Williams returns as an inside threat and is joined by transfer Kelly Koshuta, who was a five-star recruit. Kamiah Smalls and Lexie Barrier are both high-scoring guards, as is PG Hailee Barron on occasion, and we're waiting to see what freshmen Breyenne Ballard and Tori Harris bring to the table. We aren't scared at all!

PostPosted: 09/14/17 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

1. Ohio St
2. Maryland
3. Michigan
4. Minnesota (a little wishful thinking considering the coach, but they have talent)
5. Indiana
6. Michigan St
7. Purdue
8. Iowa
9. Penn St
10. Northwestern
11. Wisconsin
12. Illinois
13. Rutgers
14. Nebraska

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight

PostPosted: 09/14/17 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

1 Chattanooga
2 Mercer
3 ETSU
4 Furman
5 Samford
6 UNCG
7 Wofford
8 Western Carolina

PostPosted: 09/14/17 12:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FollowtheCardinalRule wrote:
mzonefan wrote:

Thanks for the #1 laugh.

Purdue is back?

Didn't Purdue lose Morissette?

Yes, she finished her eligibility as did Perry. McBryde transferred out. They will have five new players.

FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 09/14/17 8:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Summit:

1) Western Illinois: Clemens + Blumer - IUPUI = Success? IUPUI who owns 2 of 3 of the Leathernecks Losses is gone off to the Horizon League. Western Illinois is capable of sweeping South Dakota again on its way to defending it's title as just the second team outside of South Dakota(the state), to win the Summit since Kevi Luper's ORU in 2011.

2) Jackrabbit Nation: The return of Macy Miller bodes well, but role players Clarissa Ober and Kerri Young depart for the Jackrabbits. Lots of good things happening in Frost Arena, but time will tell how healthy Miller is and how this team gels this season.

3) South Dakota: Allison Arens. Jaycee Bradley. This might be the best shooting team in the Summit which can try to shoot their way to a title.

4) Oral Roberts: Meh? They're okay? They lost less than Oma-Bye.

5) North Dakota State: It's saying something about the rest of the Summit that Marin Walseth's team is here--but Taylor Thunstedt might be the best player left out of the remaining teams.

6) Oma-bye: Walking Bye without Dapprich and Shaw to lead them.

7) Denver: New Coach, same locale?

Cool IPFW: Mastadoons stay in the cellar because they don't have much new?

Errr. I'm confused. Is North Dakota here yet? One more year?

adamj95

PostPosted: 09/14/17 10:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UND joins the Summit next season 18-19. I hope you're wrong and the jackrabbits finish #1.

PostPosted: 09/14/17 11:58 pm    ::: Re: Rank Your Conference Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:
Pac-12:

That *is* the big, big if. In the half court, opponents will definitely be sagging into the paint, running under screens, playing lotsa zone. I expect UCLA will try to force plenty of turnovers and rack up as many transition buckets as they can. But when they have to manufacture points in the half court, the Bruins may find themselves struggling somewhat, I think. But we'll see!

You will definitely miss your sharpshooter Korver.

- Amanda Gorman
myrtle

PostPosted: 09/15/17 12:07 am    ::: Re: Rank Your Conference Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:
Pac-12:

The Pac-12 is very interesting. The consensus is that Cal is the fourth best team in the conference, but Cal was 6-12 in conference play last year and lost to Baylor by 40 in the NCAA tournament.

And though there are two solid freshmen recruits, Cal also lost Courtney Range, a four-year starter (I'm pretty sure), who's playing in Europe, so it's hard to see them taking a major step forward.

So if that's the fourth best team, what does that say about the eighth best team?

I agree it doesn't look good for the PAC beyond the top 2 or 3 teams. I think Oregon could already be the 100 pound gorilla this year. If not this year, by next year at least. I think both Cal and UCLA seem to be hampered by having nice but not the most competent coaches. Stanford has a coach but only has middling talent. OrSU should be better next year but I won't count Rueck out - he has earned respect. Wazzou and USC -
well I'll believe it when I see it.

It will be interesting to see who, if anybody, can step up and challenge Oregon. And we can see how they respond to being the ones with a target on their backs. Can't wait to get the season rolling.

- Amanda Gorman
bcdawg04

PostPosted: 09/15/17 7:01 pm    ::: Re: Rank Your Conference Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
Pac-12:

Graves is the real deal. Ionescu is one of the most amazing college players I have watched in person. Oregon should be the heavy favorite.

Despite graduating their top post players, I don't see ASU dropping as low as 8th. I think they'll finish above USC, and maybe even Cal. Of course, for the Sun Devils, a lot of it depends on what the officials think of their "aggressive defense" from game to game.

PrideFan

PostPosted: 09/18/17 9:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:

1.JMU
2.Elon
3.Drexel
4.Hofstra
5.William & Mary
6. UNCW
7.Towson
8.Delaware
9.Northeastern
10.Charleston

Any reason why you have Hofstra so high when they weren't very good last year?

summertime blues

PostPosted: 09/18/17 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PrideFan wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

1.JMU
2.Elon
3.Drexel
4.Hofstra
5.William & Mary
6. UNCW
7.Towson
8.Delaware
9.Northeastern
10.Charleston

Because honestly most of the rest of the conference isn't either. W&M was decent but most of their good players graduated, and everyone below that pretty much sucked.

PostPosted: 09/18/17 8:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
PrideFan wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

1.JMU
2.Elon
3.Drexel
4.Hofstra
5.William & Mary
6. UNCW
7.Towson
8.Delaware
9.Northeastern
10.Charleston

Because honestly most of the rest of the conference isn't either. W&M was decent but most of their good players graduated, and everyone below that pretty much sucked.

Very true, and Hofstra at least has a better coach than most of the teams you rank below.

Btw, this new development may drop JMU's sights even more... https://www.swishappeal.com/ncaa/2017/9/18/16330164/jmu-dismisses-amber-porter-violation-ncaaw-ncaa

summertime blues

PostPosted: 09/19/17 11:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PrideFan wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
PrideFan wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

1.JMU
2.Elon
3.Drexel
4.Hofstra
5.William & Mary
6. UNCW
7.Towson
8.Delaware
9.Northeastern
10.Charleston

Very true, and Hofstra at least has a better coach than most of the teams you rank below.

Btw, this new development may drop JMU's sights even more... https://www.swishappeal.com/ncaa/2017/9/18/16330164/jmu-dismisses-amber-porter-violation-ncaaw-ncaa

Maybe, maybe not. She came off the bench and was always streaky. I really liked her and I thought she had a good year coming, but geez...... However, we have Kelly Koshuta eligible this year, and Kayla Cooper-Williams is back from her ACL. They'll have to hold the fort until Debra Ferguson (6'4 and a wide body, with experience!) is eligible second semester. So maybe not hurting as much as you might think.

PostPosted: 09/19/17 7:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

1. DePaul
2. Marquette
3. Georgetown
4. Villanova
5. St. Johns
6. Creighton
7. Seton Hall
8. Xavier
9. Providence
10. Butler

Howee

PostPosted: 09/20/17 7:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Big 12:

1. Texas
2. Baylor

3-9 (blahblahblah)

10. Texas Tech

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: