29%  [ 12 ]
Sparks
70%
 70%  [ 29 ]
Total Votes : 41

mercfan3

PostPosted: 09/12/17 11:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:

Is there a player in the W that comes close to how much Griner gets reviewed?

She literally walks down the court and they have to review it in case it might be a hostile act.

PostPosted: 09/12/17 11:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
If Borders is serious about building interest in the WNBA she'd better hand out some suspensions to players and fire some officials because the number of blatant flops in this game is an embarrassing disgrace and none of them have been called correctly.

You think this shit pile on national TV is going to attract any new fans? You wonder why sports fans turn off the WNBA?

Is there a player in the W that comes close to how much Griner gets reviewed?

Nope! Not even Syl, which makes me shake my head. All the girl wants to do is play basketball. The refs need to do better.

I'm interested to see if Cambage gets reviewed this much next season

PostPosted: 09/12/17 11:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballgrl wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
If Borders is serious about building interest in the WNBA she'd better hand out some suspensions to players and fire some officials because the number of blatant flops in this game is an embarrassing disgrace and none of them have been called correctly.

You think this shit pile on national TV is going to attract any new fans? You wonder why sports fans turn off the WNBA?

Truer words were never spoken!! Especially your 1st paragraph.

Nneka just flopped again. Sad

I agree with the original statement about borders and interest. I disagree that rib shot was a flop by nneka. Been hit there in the same spot same position in CBB and its painful like you never knew!

PostPosted: 09/12/17 11:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Also..LA beat the crap out of Mitchell (and Diana, but especially FLB) tonight. And nothing was ever called.

PostPosted: 09/12/17 11:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

While I do agree that the excessive reviewing made me stop watching this game early--that last foul was clearly a rib shot with an elbow. Per Lobo if they call a review right away you can call just a common foul in the WNBA. I don't make the rules--but that's what the captions said.

Anyway, kudos to LA for a game one win, Beard as always was phenomenal.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 09/12/17 11:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FollowtheCardinalRule wrote:
While I do agree that the excessive reviewing made me stop watching this game early--that last foul was clearly a rib shot with an elbow. Per Lobo if they call a review right away you can call just a common foul in the WNBA. I don't make the rules--but that's what the captions said.

Anyway, kudos to LA for a game one win, Beard as always was phenomenal.

+1

PostPosted: 09/12/17 11:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
How is it that a ref is able to not call a foul, then stop play to call for a review, take 10 minutes to watch video, and finally end up calling a foul after all? How do the rules allow for this?

I can understand how you end up with that as the rule when you're just discussing things in a room. You want thm to be able to examine things that could be a violent act or a flagrant, even if they're not sure what they saw. You want them to be able to make the right call afterwards, whatever it may be. The problem is human nature. The video's constantly there as a fallback, so they make no decisions, watch everything, bore everyone to death, and referee the game by TV.

PostPosted: 09/12/17 11:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I really appreciate BG. I swear no player deals with as much BS on the court as she does and she always goes and does her job.

In the past 2 games, everything she's done has been reviewed and in my opinion it's excessive. The refs need a course on how to officiate her because she can't be beaten up every game and then punished because she's physically taller than everyone.

After this, I probably won't tune in to game 2.

PostPosted: 09/12/17 11:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I mean, it's not like Nneka didn't get beat up tonight. Griner practically ran into her nose and then also elbowed her in the ribs. Yes, Griner does get her fair share of rough play, but it's not like she doesn't dole out her fair share of punishment too. You make it sound like other players are barely touched all night.

Tally24

PostPosted: 09/12/17 11:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tried to have a viewing party with my straight, men's basketball loving buddies. We didn't even make it to halftime. They couldn't believe that THIS was a semifinals game. Sad and not even fun to watch.
Ladyvol777

PostPosted: 09/12/17 11:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

C. Parker 4/10 15 points. played hurt
B. Griner 6/12 18 points.
D. Taurasi 2/10 6 points is over the hill.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 09/13/17 12:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Contact by Griner was preceded by a trademark Nneka chest bump. I like Ogwumike a lot, but she does that all the time, it's a foul, and she never gets called for it. You can't push forward with your chest into the player trying to make a move with the ball. It's a foul every time. Called correctly, that play was a 2 shot foul on Ogwumike. Griner should have been shooting free throws, not sitting down.

By the way, I have no stake or rooting interest in who wins this game or series. I just thought this game was a disgrace.

Libra_Girl

PostPosted: 09/13/17 12:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I feel like the refs are trolling the fans because of what happened in the finals Laughing Laughing "Like y'all were complaining here is your reviews that you wanted"

SCook

PostPosted: 09/13/17 12:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FollowtheCardinalRule wrote:
I mean, it's not like Nneka didn't get beat up tonight. Griner practically ran into her nose and then also elbowed her in the ribs. Yes, Griner does get her fair share of rough play, but it's not like she doesn't dole out her fair share of punishment too. You make it sound like other players are barely touched all night.

I never said that other player's don't. I was specifically talking about Brittney Griner. How many players were reviewed continuously based on plays that had No excessive content?? Only 1 and that was Brittney Griner. My point is Just because shes 6'9", doesn't mean that every time she's making a move with the ball and her arms are moving (simply because that's where they are because of her height) is a flagrant or offensive foul. It's getting over the top.

PostPosted: 09/13/17 7:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phoenix can take this series to 5 games. Taurasi has to be a factor and their bench needs to step up. They have the deeper bench while it looks like Agler will stick with his 7 player rotation. If this series goes to 5, Agler needs to trust his bench more and give a few minutes to Wiese & Jackson-Jones.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
myt

PostPosted: 09/13/17 7:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
terribly officiated game

I am glad the Sparks got the W.

But these ref... Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: 09/13/17 7:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rebecca and Ryan are starting to annoy me a little. Too many jokes, and laughing, and going off-topic and not calling the action. I wish LaChina could do both games. Confused

PostPosted: 09/13/17 8:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At the least they should save it for dead time. I also hate it when some good play has just transpired and they are off chatting about something not related to the game on hand. Also if they mistakenly identify a payer during a play they should have the common sense to correct it especially when immidiate none play time allows.

Kailapea

PostPosted: 09/13/17 9:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the one thing that fans on both sides can agree with is that this was an extremely poorly officiated game on both sides. The bad calls started in the first quarter and continued through out. Were the crap calls the reason for the outcome of the game? NO - not in my opinion. But clearly both teams were extremely frustrated throughout the game, as were the coaches and fans.

As I watched Borders sitting court side, all I could think was can she see what everyone watching sees? Flopping has always been part of the game, let's be honest, both teams have players who are experts, so don't chalk up all the flops to Nneka or AB, DT is famous for it and good at it (Her and Nneka are 2 of the best). And until the league changes the rules, it's going to occur. But officials should know a flop when they see one, cause they sure as hell see every damn hand check.

At the end of the day however, the level (low, low, level) of officiating in this league needs to be addressed. It's ridiculously lacking and where is the accountability to official for flagrantly BAD calls? There is none!! It frustrates player and creates potential for players to get hurt. This has gone on way too long and something needs to be done.

Let's see what game 2 brings

Sad Rolling Eyes Confused

PostPosted: 09/13/17 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myt wrote:
ChicagoAnnie wrote:
terribly officiated game

I am glad the Sparks got the W.

But these ref... Evil or Very Mad

this game was incredibly frustrating to watch. WOW.. these refs..!

bballgrl

PostPosted: 09/13/17 3:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There was a post on here that I responded to. when I hit sumbit neither the post or my reply showed up! What's up with that. It had to do with the league giving T's for flopping.

5thmantheme

PostPosted: 09/13/17 5:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

8:21 in the 2nd, the double flop was totally stupid, both should'a been T-ed.

The Cannon+Parker double tech was unnecessary. Basketball play right up through the rebound. What did the ref think about the orange shoe bottom Not disappearing into lady parts? Counter glare by Cannon is normal. I really don't get this one.

ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 09/13/17 9:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ladyvol777 wrote:
C. Parker 4/10 15 points. played hurt
B. Griner 6/12 18 points.
D. Taurasi 2/10 6 points is over the hill.

I don't think Dee is over the hill... But, just fatigued AF after that long trek from CT to Cali.
I suspect she will have a Taurasi-like game 2.
I honestly thought she was reserving her energy for the 4th QTR to hit a big shot, but the Sparks wouldn't let the game get close enough.

ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 09/13/17 10:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

5thmantheme wrote:
8:21 in the 2nd, the double flop was totally stupid, both should'a been T-ed.

The Cannon+Parker double tech was unnecessary. Basketball play right up through the rebound. What did the ref think about the orange shoe bottom Not disappearing into lady parts? Counter glare by Cannon is normal. I really don't get this one.

the double tech was on Carson and Cannon.

5thmantheme

PostPosted: 09/14/17 3:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Huh.
I missed that ... (I blame the media - cough) ... underneath all the chatter about Parker and Cannon. All the tv replays were about that part.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: