RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

Comets Roster On Opening Day
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
MT_Swoopes



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 1840



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/24/05 7:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

4ever_bball_fan wrote:
I was at the Comets Draft Party and I actually spoke to Tari three times and the woman did not look like someone who had been sitting on a couch eating Twinkies...in other words, she didn't look like Tiff Johnson, who did play overseas this offseason.

I don't know who said she looked bad, but she was much trimmer than I expected her to be. I always thought of her as a wide body under the basket, but the woman I talked to and had sign an autograph looked more in the non-pregnant Tina Thompson vein, than the over-weight, out-of-shape variety.

I certainly didn't take a poll of the people there to see if they were glad she was on our team, but everyone seemed to want to meet her and welcome her. She is probably the only one that can verify any of this and if any of you Lib posters that actually know Tari can communicate with her, maybe she will tell you how she feels about the trade and playing in Houston.

I can't speak to her conditioning, but she is a pro and is probably ready to redeem her career after last year's unfortunate experience.

WE LOVE YOU TARI...YOU CAN BANG ON THE BOARDS AT THE TOYOTA CENTER FOR AS LONG AS YOU ARE ABLE.


Thanks for the insight. It would've been nice if this followed my original poster. So, we could go in the direction of discussing the roster as a whole. Oh well...maybe right before the season starts. I'll give it another try.


Genero36



Joined: 24 Apr 2005
Posts: 8999



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/24/05 8:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Alepp03 wrote:
My only reservation is with Lambert as a starter, but I will hold off any real judgement until I see if she has progressed from last season because she did show promise, just in a sort of schizo sorta way. Better decision making and ball-handling would be one giant step ahead for Lambert is becoming a true starting PG in the league. I still would have liked to see the team go out and try to get a better PG prospect. Perhaps Van has some faith in Sheila.


That is an issue. Lambert and Dant are the only natural point guards on the roster. Dant might not make the roster. Van is the head coach, so who knows what the starting lineup still looks like.


sambista



Joined: 25 Sep 2004
Posts: 16487
Location: way station of life


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/24/05 8:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i'm just not partial to using emoticons, but for the record, for my part, i was mostly responding in kind to jammer's predictable over-the-top diatribe about tari and other players perceived to be out of shape.

i know jammer got it, but just in case, this, too, was nothing more than gentle ribbing.

that said, i do still get the vibe that some of you are scrutinizing tari more than other new comets. an observation, not an attack.



_________________
no justice, no peace.
Genero36



Joined: 24 Apr 2005
Posts: 8999



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/24/05 8:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tari is welcome on this team. As a Comet fan, I expect her to be aggressive on defense and knock down a mid-range jumper. If she can do that, she should be fine.

Tina's absence hardly should impact Tari. Their games are totally different. No one is expecting Tari to fill her shoes, and make this her team to lead.

I have no problem waiting for TT to return, 'cause the worse that could happen is the Comets get a top three pick in next year's draft.


sambista



Joined: 25 Sep 2004
Posts: 16487
Location: way station of life


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/24/05 8:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hmmmm, about that midrange jumper, genero . . . it may be best to hope more for a higher percentage at the charity stripe. that was my biggest criticism of tari - that she knew how to get the freebies but couldn't always cash in.



_________________
no justice, no peace.


Last edited by sambista on 04/24/05 11:51 am; edited 1 time in total
BCBG25



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 20112
Location: Sampa


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/24/05 8:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Back on topic and since there are other points to be made, I hope Van doesn't waste Janeth at the 1 again. The Comets just lost their top scorer for quite some time and Janeth is the person to pick up the slack. She's a proven scorer and moves better without the ball. She's not a lame decision-maker, but she's not a creative one either.



_________________
Kings of the World!
el_barrio_96_125



Joined: 19 Nov 2004
Posts: 1411



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/24/05 11:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

4ever_bball_fan wrote:
She is probably the only one that can verify any of this and if any of you Lib posters that actually know Tari can communicate with her, maybe she will tell you how she feels about the trade and playing in Houston.


As of about a month ago, Tari sounded like she hit the lotto in going to Houston. Some Lib fans weren't trying to hear me last preseason when I said she was plotting her escape from NY at the same time the Libs were trying to get rid of her. She saw the writing on the wall when her dawgs went to LA and her remaining teamates other than Elena, acted like she was Camille Cooper. She was very happy to go somewhere where she was wanted. Geez, where have we heard that before? I think Tari will give the Comets he best she can, whatever that is at this point in her career. She may be a little flaky and spacey at times, but the only time we ever had to worry about her effort around here was when Blaze, Richie and Patty had the knives in her back. Considering the circumstances in her personal life, I can't say I blame her if she was a little shorter fused than usual with their bullshit.

I think the Comets will be fine this year, and in my mind, they're more than capable of making the playoffs. You've got 3 players in Tari, Sheryl and Goodie who feel like they've got something to prove and have probably been itching for the season to start. I think Snow's ready this year if Van doesn't interfere and you've got the most underrated player in women's basketball history in Janeth Arcain who always seems to get it done no matter what. If Tina comes back before August, she may not even be that much of a disruption to the flow if Van works her back in gradually. If you can get anything out of Lambert, etc. the Comets should be fine. Everyone's talking about it's LA's to lose, but I'm not sold on their chemistry and Henry Bibby makes a living messing up good situations and making unbearable situations out of bad ones. It's not beyond them to crumble and shock the world by not even making the postseason.
sambista



Joined: 25 Sep 2004
Posts: 16487
Location: way station of life


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/24/05 11:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

f_blaze_coalition wrote:
As of about a month ago, Tari sounded like she hit the lotto in going to Houston. Some Lib fans weren't trying to hear me last preseason when I said she was plotting her escape from NY at the same time the Libs were trying to get rid of her. She saw the writing on the wall when her dawgs went to LA and her remaining teamates other than Elena, acted like she was Camille Cooper.


thanks for sharing/reminding. that's really raw and it's news to me, even tho i swear i wasn't trying to not listen.

f_blaze_coalition wrote:
She may be a little flaky and spacey at times, but the only time we ever had to worry about her effort around here was when Blaze, Richie and Patty had the knives in her back.


this is the bottom line in all of it. can't ask for more than that.

f_blaze_coalition wrote:
Everyone's talking about it's LA's to lose, but I'm not sold on their chemistry and Henry Bibby makes a living messing up good situations and making unbearable situations out of bad ones. It's not beyond them to crumble and shock the world by not even making the postseason.


thank you!



_________________
no justice, no peace.
jammerbirdi



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 19642



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/24/05 12:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

f_blaze_coalition wrote:
4ever_bball_fan wrote:
She is probably the only one that can verify any of this and if any of you Lib posters that actually know Tari can communicate with her, maybe she will tell you how she feels about the trade and playing in Houston.


As of about a month ago, Tari sounded like she hit the lotto in going to Houston. Some Lib fans weren't trying to hear me last preseason when I said she was plotting her escape from NY at the same time the Libs were trying to get rid of her. She saw the writing on the wall when her dawgs went to LA and her remaining teamates other than Elena, acted like she was Camille Cooper. She was very happy to go somewhere where she was wanted. Geez, where have we heard that before? I think Tari will give the Comets he best she can, whatever that is at this point in her career. She may be a little flaky and spacey at times, but the only time we ever had to worry about her effort around here was when Blaze, Richie and Patty had the knives in her back. Considering the circumstances in her personal life, I can't say I blame her if she was a little shorter fused than usual with their bullshit.


All good, I'm feeling butter already. (sorry) I'll keep my "usual over the top diatribes" holstered, ready to fire away at anything larger than it should be, so help me Dom Deluise. Twisted Evil

Now where's my Lil Debbies?



_________________
Falsehood will fly on the wings of the wind, and carry its tales to every corner of the earth; whilst truth lags behind; her steps slow and solemn, she has neither the vigour nor activity to overtake her enemy. - Thomas Francklin
Smoovie



Joined: 17 Nov 2004
Posts: 3954
Location: H-Town


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/24/05 12:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Has anyone seen or heard anything about Lambert? Did she do anything in the offseason to step up her game?

I'm hoping Big Tiff, is trade bait. Her and FeFe, must go!! I'd like to see them gone before camp starts, if that is not asking too much. I'm going to be sick to my stomach until then



_________________
(¯`v´¯Wink
`*.¸.*´
¸.•´¸.•*¨Wink ¸.•*¨Wink
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.•´*~Smoov
jammerbirdi



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 19642



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/24/05 12:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sebibb wrote:

i know jammer got it, but just in case, this, too, was nothing more than gentle ribbing.


bibb you know there's no "just in case"! I'm just having my usual fun. No harm intended! The jammer's got his own Twinkie problems, if you know what I mean.

Tari please disregard! (Except for the "you're a Comet, not a planet" line. That's TOO good to be disregarded.)



_________________
Falsehood will fly on the wings of the wind, and carry its tales to every corner of the earth; whilst truth lags behind; her steps slow and solemn, she has neither the vigour nor activity to overtake her enemy. - Thomas Francklin
sambista



Joined: 25 Sep 2004
Posts: 16487
Location: way station of life


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/24/05 12:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
sebibb wrote:

i know jammer got it, but just in case, this, too, was nothing more than gentle ribbing.


bibb you know there's no "just in case"! I'm just having my usual fun. No harm intended! The jammer's got his own Twinkie problems, if you know what I mean.

Tari please disregard! (Except for the "you're a Comet, not a planet" line. That's TOO good to be disregarded.)


jammer, get ovah yo-self. the "just in case" was for anyone else who thought i was fomenting dissension.

(i rather liked the comet line, too, but that was way cold. and i shouldn't encourage you.)



_________________
no justice, no peace.
jammerbirdi



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 19642



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/24/05 12:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sebibb wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:
sebibb wrote:

i know jammer got it, but just in case, this, too, was nothing more than gentle ribbing.


bibb you know there's no "just in case"! I'm just having my usual fun. No harm intended! The jammer's got his own Twinkie problems, if you know what I mean.

Tari please disregard! (Except for the "you're a Comet, not a planet" line. That's TOO good to be disregarded.)


jammer, get ovah yo-self. the "just in case" was for anyone else who thought i was fomenting dissension.

(i rather liked the comet line, too, but that was way cold. and i shouldn't encourage you.)


It seems that NO ONE wants to encourage me, bibb. Fortunately, I'm a self starter. Twisted Evil



_________________
Falsehood will fly on the wings of the wind, and carry its tales to every corner of the earth; whilst truth lags behind; her steps slow and solemn, she has neither the vigour nor activity to overtake her enemy. - Thomas Francklin
SORF



Joined: 06 Jan 2005
Posts: 1979



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/24/05 2:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is for BCBG...
It was reported here in Houston last month that Tari was not in "BB condition". She has been on a training program and diet this last month and is in better shape than before. It is believed that by the beginning of the season she will be in top BB condition for the season...that's what I have been hearing.

As for Janeth, I want Janeth running the point in the later part of the second half...her decision making is the best on the team. When she isn't running the point, I would like to see Janeth in the 2 or 3 position during the first half and the start of the second half.


Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin