RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Connecticut Sun 2018
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 09/10/17 7:27 pm    ::: Connecticut Sun 2018 Reply Reply with quote

What's in store for next year? How can CON improve and get to the next level? Question Idea

toad455

PostPosted: 09/10/17 7:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i think Connecticut can be a legit title contender next season. Add in Ogwumike and a draft pick(#9) and they could be very deep. Maybe trade Bentley?

PG: JThomas/draft pick
SG: CWilliams/Bentley/Banham
SF: AThomas/Stricklen
PF: COgwumike/Tuck
C: JJones/Kizer/BJones

GONE: Pederson & Adams.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
justinabina

PostPosted: 09/10/17 7:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was just about to start this thread! The Sun exceeded expectations this season and were a lot of fun to watch - but it still stings to see the season end.

I'm most curious about what will be done with Ogwumike. Will the starting line-up look like this?

J. Thomas
Williams
A. Thomas
Ogwumike
Jones

Seems like the easiest thing to do, but there's not much consistently demonstrated (over multiple seasons) reliable outside shooting there.

To start, I'd like to see:

- Better free throw shooting. Will Alyssa Thomas get her shoulder fixed? Yes, this particular concern is directly related to the sting of today's loss. >_<

- Speaking of free throw shooting, Courtney Williams (and Alex Bentley) getting to the line more often, especially when shots aren't falling.

- More, in general, from Morgan Tuck.

- A few strong bench players added to replace Danielle Adams etc. Of course now I'm coveting all the under-the-radar-ish players coming through for other teams in the play-offs, like Krystal Thomas, Yvonne Turner, Leilani Mitchell, Monique Currie... Alright, someone help me get back to reality here.

- Not sure what to say about Banham, Pedersen, Kizer, all of whom were positive presences on the bench but not consistently offensively reliable or even playable on the court. Not sure about Brionna Jones - I guess wait and see what her overseas season looks like?

justinabina

PostPosted: 09/10/17 7:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
i think Connecticut can be a legit title contender next season. Add in Ogwumike and a draft pick(#9) and they could be very deep. Maybe trade Bentley?

PG: JThomas/draft pick
SG: CWilliams/Bentley/Banham
SF: AThomas/Stricklen
PF: COgwumike/Tuck
C: JJones/Kizer/BJones

GONE: Pederson & Adams.

I like this line-up. I like the idea of drafting a PG - hopefully a tall, athletic, immediately competent one Very Happy - will Lexie Brown be around at the 9th pick?

I like Pedersen's hustle and would like to see her back - but not if Kizer recovers well and re-signs with the team, and Brionna Jones shows lots of improvement overseas. But those are two big ifs.

myrtle

PostPosted: 09/10/17 8:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Pederson would lend depth to several other teams' benches but perhaps not this one if Tuck is actually healthy and can stay that way.

- Amanda Gorman
Shades

PostPosted: 09/10/17 8:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'll reiterate what I said here, Banham for rights to Cruz. Spanish national team members playing together, lure Torrens over. Miller already half-listened to me by drafting Romero, but that's not good enough, and Cruz is already a proven sustainable player in the WNBA.

JThomas/Romero
CWilliams/Bentley/Cruz
AThomas/Stricklen(not so surprise signing of Torrens)
COgwumike/Tuck/Kizer
JJones/BJones

In the chance that Torrens signs, sell Stricklen for future consideration.

Biggest weakness is backup center, but Ogwumike can back up center.

Second biggest weakness is SG. They are similar in that they tend to disappear when you need them the most. Need something solid and maybe bigger.

If they really wanna be ballsy, trade Ogwumike (if she'll allow it) for a lottery pick and grab Mitchell.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 09/10/17 8:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Alyssa Thomas proved she's most valuable at the 4. I guess you can try doing the Thomas/Ogwumike/Jones experiment and see if they can continue the success. I wonder what the market is for Ogwumike with her injury history..

PostPosted: 09/10/17 9:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If the Sun trade Ogwumike, she could heal up and become an All WNBA player. If they keep her she could slightly mess with the Chemistry. Particularly involving Alyssa Thomas. I think they should keep Chiney and ease her into the season starting Thomas at the 4. If she returns to full form move her back into the starting lineup. It's hard to predict because these types of injuries are unpredictable.

PostPosted: 09/10/17 9:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A.Thomas' best position is PF,but can you win a championship with her playing Pf ? Can Thomas really guard Parker,Ogwumike,EDD,Charles,Brunson,or Stewart in a playoff situation ?

PUmatty

PostPosted: 09/10/17 9:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if a lottery team would trade their pick for Chiney and the No. 9. Maybe throw in spare parts to make it work. If healthy, Chiney is obvious lottery quality. I don't know if I would ever trust her health, but if you could she would fit well on any of the lottery teams. And CT could get a high quality player that isn't redundant like Chiney looks now.

Tally24

PostPosted: 09/10/17 10:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bonner for. Ogwumike.

The Sun get a great forward who doesn't like to post up and can stretch the defense. Perfect compliment to AT's game.

Mercury get a legit 4 who can help our rebounding and provide an additional defensive player, bringing our total up to two and a half defenders.
UK1996

PostPosted: 09/10/17 10:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
I wonder if a lottery team would trade their pick for Chiney and the No. 9. Maybe throw in spare parts to make it work. If healthy, Chiney is obvious lottery quality. I don't know if I would ever trust her health, but if you could she would fit well on any of the lottery teams. And CT could get a high quality player that isn't redundant like Chiney looks now.

I would approve of Chicago trading the lower of the two picks for Chiney & #9.

PostPosted: 09/10/17 10:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UK1996 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

I would approve of Chicago trading the lower of the two picks for Chiney & #9.

This trade is a go only with the approval of the team's doctor.

PostPosted: 09/10/17 10:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Chiney is healthy you could experiment with bringing A. Thomas off the bench. She could play PF full-time by backing up Ogwumike and sliding Ogwumike to Center when Jones goes out. If not you can always put A. Thomas back in the starting line up at the 3, and Tuck as the main back up at 4.

Also even if not a true PG Nurse should be working on it this season in Conn and is a Husky so I see her being pick at #9.

Romero (last years deferred pick) also becomes a back PG option.

Tuck plays some 3 and some 4

Maybe something like this

J. Thomas/Bentley/Romero
C. Williams/Nurse
Stricklen/Tuck
C. Ogwumike/A. Thomas/Pedersen
J. Jones/Kizer

The depth would allow you to mix and match a lot off different line ups, with players doing time at multiple positions.

Serious question what is Bentley's trade market value? I was trying to figure out some option but truly didn't know what would be considered a fair trade. If the Sun could get a late first round pick, or a decent back up center I would make that move.

You can also stick with B. Jones but I think in a lesser role I would prefer Pedersen.

ClayK

PostPosted: 09/11/17 9:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So a healthy Chiney produced a PER of 23.9 and 22.9 in her two seasons. Let's just say she's not as effective, as is around 20 moving forward.

Trading her for a top draft pick ...

Last five No. 1s:

Kelsey Plum (9.1 PER)
Breanna Stewart (24.3 in 2017)
Jewel Loyd (19.1)
Chiney (22.9)
Brittney Griner (28.7)

Last five No. 2s:

Alaina Coates (DNP)
Moriah Jefferson (17.0)
Amanda Zahui B (8.6)
Odyssey Sims (16.9)
EDD (28.6)

Last five No. 3s:

Evelyn Akhator (3.2)
Morgan Tuck (6.4)
Kaleena Mosqueda Lewis (10.3)
Kayla McBride (15.5 -- 15.0 is average)
Skylar Diggins (21.3)

So the only three top three picks to outperform Chiney are the Three to See and Steweart ... otherwise she is likely more valuable, and usually much more valuable, than a top three pick. (And remember, Diamond DeShields is considered a top three contender in 2018.)

And though I consider the success of the No. 9 picks a bit fluky, still it's a pretty good list, and better than the 3s.

Last five No. 9s:

Tori Jankoska
Tiffany Mitchell
Brittany Boyd
Natalie Achonwa
Layshia Clarendon

Even if Chiney loses 25% of her production, she's still better than most of the top three picks in the past five years -- and in general, history suggests that trading for a top three choice isn't really a good move, given their success lately. It makes more sense to trade for a proven lower pick, such as Achonwa or Clarendon.

PostPosted: 09/11/17 10:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Even if Chiney loses 25% of her production, she's still better than most of the top three picks in the past five years -- and in general, history suggests that trading for a top three choice isn't really a good move, given their success lately. It makes more sense to trade for a proven lower pick, such as Achonwa or Clarendon.

Forget about trading for lottery picks and focus on #9 picks?

I'm sure Indy fans would be anonymously on board with a Ogwumike for Achonwa trade. Surprised

ClayK

PostPosted: 09/11/17 1:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
ClayK wrote:

I'm sure Indy fans would be anonymously on board with a Ogwumike for Achonwa trade. Surprised

That's not a good deal, of course, but folks seem to want to get rid of Chiney -- my point is that it makes no sense to do so, really.

And also assuming that a No. 9 pick is worth a lot might be a mistake, despite that list. Look at No. 8 and No. 10 and it becomes more clear.

PostPosted: 09/11/17 2:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Shades wrote:
ClayK wrote:

That's not a good deal, of course, but folks seem to want to get rid of Chiney -- my point is that it makes no sense to do so, really.

And also assuming that a No. 9 pick is worth a lot might be a mistake, despite that list. Look at No. 8 and No. 10 and it becomes more clear.

Chiney is going nowhere. The whole topic is silly

myrtle

PostPosted: 09/11/17 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can't see the Sun making any major changes. Their position of greatest need is SF and if Thomas can play there, then Stricklen has shown herself to be a competent, different-look backup. The downside on Thomas is her outside shot, but since JJones can make that shot, and their guards are certainly decent at it, they will still have three who can spread the floor. Jones and Chiney should be a nice complement to each other. If they can get a healthy team, they will be in the mix next year for sure.

- Amanda Gorman
dtsnms

PostPosted: 09/11/17 3:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I can't see the Sun making any major changes. Their position of greatest need is SF and if Thomas can play there, then Stricklen has shown herself to be a competent, different-look backup. The downside on Thomas is her outside shot, but since JJones can make that shot, and their guards are certainly decent at it, they will still have three who can spread the floor. Jones and Chiney should be a nice complement to each other. If they can get a healthy team, they will be in the mix next year for sure.

Oh come on Myrtle, don't be making sense now!

Stricklen is a FA by the way. AT is an RFA but both sides are happy.

Aladyyn

PostPosted: 09/11/17 6:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

Courtney Williams is pretty bad at it and Jasmine has had 1 season of good outside shooting. I wouldn't be so sure.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 09/11/17 8:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Courtney Williams is pretty bad at it and Jasmine has had 1 season of good outside shooting. I wouldn't be so sure.

Williams is a capable mid-range shooter, imo, and will probably improve.

The SUN should do nothing w/ Ogumike other than see what she's got left.

They made unexpected strides this year, but were bounced in 1 game, at home. To get over the hump, they need a PF and a PG, imo. Maybe Ogumike can still be the PF.

Maybe they can package Adams, Banham and Jones for dinner and a movie. :^l

PostPosted: 09/12/17 12:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
"As we infuse Chiney back into our post depth, as we continue to build for the future, I can't be more pleased with our core group that is under contract and that we have coming back."

Infuse Chiney back into our post depth? Does that sound like having her come off the bench? He probably doesn't know yet so he doesn't want to say. Need somebody like Megdal out there to ask the tough questions.

Queenie

PostPosted: 09/12/17 7:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"Infuse" is probably the wrong word in this situation, unless Miller's solution to the post logjam is rather more... sinister and gross... than I would rather imagine.

(now with spelling variations)
PUmatty

PostPosted: 09/12/17 10:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
"Infuse" is probably the wrong word in this situation, unless Miller's solution to the post logjam is rather more... sinister and gross... than I would rather imagine.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 1 of 13

Jump to: