29%
 29%  [ 10 ]
Liberty
70%
 70%  [ 24 ]
Total Votes : 34

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 09/10/17 8:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bill made a good point in the post also. I knew about the 14 offensive rebounds but D.C. had another 14 team rebounds. Uncharacteristic for us but that cost us the game as much as or more than Toliver's 32. Which kind of points to the need either for length in the middle or to get bigger on the wing.

PostPosted: 09/10/17 9:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I feel for Charles. I think these one and done gms aren't fair to the 3rd and 4 seeds.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 09/10/17 9:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Did the better team win this "playoff"?

I don't think so, but today the Liberty were much too libertarian with some key stats. The Mystics got 14 O-boards to NY's measly three and had only six turnovers to NY's 15. As a result, Washington got 21 more shots on goal than NY (81-60), a huge disparity, which allowed Washington to win even though they shot worse percentages in all categories.

V and Z
were nowhere to see,
and "playoffs" should be
at least two out of three.
sigur3

PostPosted: 09/10/17 9:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Libra_Girl wrote:
I feel for Charles. I think these one and done gms aren't fair to the 3rd and 4 seeds.

Why? They already get homecourt and several days to prepare. Those are two huge advantages.

sigur3

PostPosted: 09/10/17 9:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

Since this format isn't changing, only two paths are left. Instead of complaining about how much it sucks, we either have to get better enough to be a top-2 seed or we need a player who helps us be better in a one-and-done scenario. Or both.

Now there's a novel idea!

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 09/10/17 10:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

Yes. Emma's uncharacteristic brickfest was the main thing dragging down her team's percentage. That doesn't equate to being a bad team. Meanwhile NY didn't want the ball and didn't look after it once they got it.
6 turnovers in a game is good basketball.

PostPosted: 09/10/17 10:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Yes. Emma's uncharacteristic brickfest was the main thing dragging down her team's percentage. That doesn't equate to being a bad team. Meanwhile NY didn't want the ball and didn't look after it once they got it.

To clarify my opinion, Washington was the better team today, but I don't think they were over the season and don't think they would be over a multi-game playoff.

Meesseman's lousy game was more than counterbalanced by Toliver's season-high (and career second high?) game, which broke the WNBA record for most 3FG's in a game. A huge statistical anomaly in favor of the Mystics. And Meesseman's five points was less pathetic than the collective of starter Vaughn's zero and starter Zellous's four.
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 09/10/17 11:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

To clarify my opinion, Washington was the better team today, but I don't think they were over the season and don't think they would be over a multi-game playoff.

Fair enough. Based on the standings it's tough to argue with you, although a lot of things impact the standings that don't necessarily correlate to a team's ability to perform when it matters most. (eg. EDD's injury, Taurasi sitting games out).
Speculation is all we can do about a multi game series, and in this case I disagree with you. (whereas with Phoenix for example, I think age works against us the longer a series goes). I just don't think the Liberty is built to win playoffs. They are talent-deficient. Whereas Toliver going off might not have matched her season overall, but it's no huge shock either because we all know she's capable of it.

PostPosted: 09/11/17 1:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Unfair? LOL! Liberty had the chance to beat the Mystics. They even had the lead. 14-15 pts w/ home-court advantage!!!

Toliver had a great shooting night. The End.

"Kim Yu-Na. A living, breathing work of art from Korea" - Cam Cole, Vancouver Sun
Aladyyn

PostPosted: 09/11/17 2:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If a team can't show up for even 30 minutes in one game, what makes one think anything would change in 3 games?

Michelle89

PostPosted: 09/11/17 4:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Meesseman's lousy game was more than counterbalanced by Toliver's season-high (and career second high?) game, which broke the WNBA record for most 3FG's in a game. A huge statistical anomaly in favor of the Mystics. And Meesseman's five points was less pathetic than the collective of starter Vaughn's zero and starter Zellous's four.

Maybe not over the season but talent wise they are the better team (EDD as your go to player, Meesseman and Toliver as your solid 2nd and 3rd scoring options. Hill would be the 4th option a la Sugar Rodgers) and also a more balanced team which is why do better then the Liberty in these single games.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
vallee

PostPosted: 09/11/17 8:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quick shout-out to all the Liberty fans who were gracious to us Mystics fans before AND after the game. You make a day with ten hours on a bus tolerable.

pilight

PostPosted: 09/11/17 8:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Washington has better talent overall than New York. The Lib have Tina Charles, the best player on either team, and more commitment to defense.

PostPosted: 09/11/17 8:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

vallee wrote:
Quick shout-out to all the Liberty fans who were gracious to us Mystics fans before AND after the game. You make a day with ten hours on a bus tolerable.

Thanks for posting this. I wasn't anywhere near any Mystics' fans, but it's great to hear. I have seen in New York--and experienced in other cities--vile fan behavior toward fans from visiting teams. So it's great that those Liberty fans were gracious both before AND after the game.

PostPosted: 09/11/17 10:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The one-and-done isn't all that fair, but in this case, the Libs got blasted. It's not like they lost by one on a banked-in three at the buzzer.

At some level, you have to show up for the playoffs, and New York did not. Maybe they bounce back to win a best-of-three after a game like this, but maybe not. Give Thibault another few days to prepare and he's going to make it even harder for the offensively challenged Libs to score consistently.

And sure, Toliver won't get nine threes again, but EDD might. Or Meesseman might go for 20. Remember that Washington did not have this trio on the court at the same time very often, and it could be argued that the Mystics, fully healthy and all present, are really the better team.

PostPosted: 09/11/17 11:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Washington has better talent overall than New York. The Lib have Tina Charles, the best player on either team, and more commitment to defense.

With Hill returning and a first round pick, Mystics are going to be deep next season, especially if Sanders comes back, too.

PG: Toliver/Cloud
SG: Hill/Latta/SWK
SF: Delle Donne/TRP
PF: Meesseman/Sanders/draft pick
C: Thomas/Hawkins

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
xwomynjoc

PostPosted: 09/11/17 6:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballgrl wrote:
Why was KT's last three changed to a 2 when her feet were clearly behind the line or was it the 3 before that?

I saw that too, and wondered why they only gave her 2 pts for it. Both feet established behind the 3 pt line at least 6 inches. Should have been a 3.

PostPosted: 09/11/17 6:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
pilight wrote:

With Hill returning and a first round pick, Mystics are going to be deep next season, especially if Sanders comes back, too.

PG: Toliver/Cloud
SG: Hill/Latta/SWK
SF: Delle Donne/TRP
PF: Meesseman/Sanders/draft pick
C: Thomas/Hawkins

Nice comments plight

Aladyyn

PostPosted: 09/11/17 6:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

xwomynjoc wrote:
bballgrl wrote:
Why was KT's last three changed to a 2 when her feet were clearly behind the line or was it the 3 before that?

I saw that too, and wondered why they only gave her 2 pts for it. Both feet established behind the 3 pt line at least 6 inches. Should have been a 3.

They did eventually change it to a 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: