Luuuc wrote:
*YAWNNNNNNN*

C'mon refs!! Mad

Story of the 2017 WNBA season!

PostPosted: 09/06/17 11:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stewie with the great offensive rebound, but the off balance shot wasn't great

bballgrl

PostPosted: 09/06/17 11:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lelani has another good game. I am so glad Sandy FINALLY moved her into the starting lineup.

BG=still my mvp, a shame to punish her because she was injured. Played the entire game. Hope she gets lots of rest before Sunday.

DT-the name speaks for itself.

Congrat's Mercury!

myrtle

PostPosted: 09/06/17 11:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tally24 wrote:
Surely Jewell can't light us up every time we meet, right??

you're correct.

- Amanda Gorman
scrappy

PostPosted: 09/06/17 11:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

it's time for the storm to clean house. get the trash bags:
sword
langhorne
mosqueda lewis
quinn
tokashiki
and yes...VALAVANIS!

PostPosted: 09/06/17 11:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seattle would've been better off missing the playoffs the last two seasons.

Tally24

PostPosted: 09/06/17 11:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Tally24 wrote:
Surely Jewell can't light us up every time we meet, right??

you're correct.

You know what they say about a blind squirrel
Libra_Girl

PostPosted: 09/07/17 12:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BG had herself a game. DT and Mitchell were clutch. Stewart did what she could but it wasn't enough without the help of her teammates.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 09/07/17 2:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballgrl wrote:
BG=still my mvp, a shame to punish her because she was injured.

She won't win MVP, but I'm just about ready to label her the best player in the league right now.

PostPosted: 09/07/17 3:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
bballgrl wrote:

She won't win MVP, but I'm just about ready to label her the best player in the league right now.

Maybe if she would win the matchups against Fowles.. They are not getting very far if she lets Fowles dominate her everytime or gets in foul trouble

Just not enough offense from our starters Loyd, Langhorne and Bird and of course our fantastic bench Rolling Eyes. Stewart had a rough 2nd half and couldnt do it all on her own. Loyd played better in the 2nd half and made some shots but it wasnt enough.

Things to improve if we want to compete in the future:
1. Tell Krystal Thomas that you made a big mistake by letting her go and try to get her back or get another decent defensive post. Maybe try to trade for Stokes. Langhorne at center just DOESNT WORK! Maybe see if you can get Chiney( IF she IS healthy)
2. Get a DECENT bench
3. Look for a PG for the future. I want Sloot on my team Sad Trade for Plum

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 09/07/17 4:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
bballgrl wrote:

Maybe if she would win the matchups against Fowles.. They are not getting very far if she lets Fowles dominate her everytime or gets in foul trouble

Yep, her individual matchups with Fowles are the main strike against her now. To me it's not a deal-breaker if she doesn't win those battles, but she can't be losing them decisively every time.
Against the rest of the league though, she is doing at least as much damage as Fowles, with less help. I'm pretty impressed at how far she and a past-her-prime Taurasi have been able to drag this team this season. No way I would have expected it with D-Rob playing so far below her best.

PostPosted: 09/07/17 5:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've always felt all season that the Storm's biggest hole was not having a true starting center for this team. Langhorne's not a center, she's playing the part by default. Maybe send Langhorne as part of a trade to get a center?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
ClayK

PostPosted: 09/07/17 10:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Random thoughts:

1) Griner has taken a leap forward -- would love to see her against Fowles in a five-game series. Oh well ...

2) FLB ... hits big threes, blows by Bird, defends. Of course, she's the perfect complement to BG because she spreads the floor.

3) And because Robinson can't spread the floor, Phoenix is much better offensively with her on the bench. If she plays, her man can pretty much double-team BG without penalty.

4) If Turner could hit 40% of her threes, she would be an even better complement to BG. But the two out of three was way above her season percentage of 29%.

5) Carolyn Swords has, fittingly, hands of steel.

6) Breanna Stewart did not shine in this game, and of course neither did Loyd.

7) Sami Whitcomb, like many bench players, is more effective when teams don't have a focused plan on defense. Phoenix forced her to shoot further out, and with a defender close, so it's no surprise she didn't shoot well.

PostPosted: 09/07/17 11:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phoenix should really consider drafting L.Brown.She's a 40% 3 pt shooter,plays defense,and has decent size for a pg(5'9).Jordan Hooper would also be a great fit.

Trading D.Robinson for a late 1st rd pick or rotation player(Langhorne,Johnson,etc) is probably the best move to make at this point.Maybe phoenix can trade Bonner & Robinson to Indiana.I'd even give Minnesota a call,and ask them if they're interested in doing a sign/trade for Howard.

caune

PostPosted: 09/07/17 11:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Phoenix should really consider drafting L.Brown.She's a 40% 3 pt shooter,plays defense,and has decent size for a pg(5'9).Jordan Hooper would also be a great fit.

Trading D.Robinson for a late 1st rd pick or rotation player(Langhorne,Johnson,etc) is probably the best move to make at this point.Maybe phoenix can trade Bonner & Robinson to Indiana.I'd even give Minnesota a call,and ask them if they're interested in doing a sign/trade for Howard.
Robinson and Bonner for what? We'd need their first round pick and.......??

PostPosted: 09/07/17 12:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
zune69 wrote:

Robinson & Bonner for Johnson & Achonwa.

Or

Robinson & Bonner for Indiana's 1st rd pick(3rd/4th)....Indiana won't trade their 1st rd pick if it's 1st/2nd.

Last edited by zune69 on 09/07/17 12:13 pm; edited 3 times in total
pilight

PostPosted: 09/07/17 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why would Indiana want or need Robinson?

PostPosted: 09/07/17 12:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Why would Indiana want or need Robinson?

Some people don't believe January is fully committed to playing in the wnba.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ncaab/asu/2017/04/19/briann-january-rejoining-asu-womens-basketball-assistant-coach/100670828/?cookies=&from=global

Quote:
January will play in her ninth WNBA season with the Indiana Fever this summer before joining coach Charli Turner Thorne's staff. She will then decide on whether to continue her playing career in 2018 or beyond.

Quote:
January said she will take her playing career year by year depending largely on her health. "I want to be able to function when I'm older and have some legs after my career."

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/07/17 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
bballgrl wrote:

Yep, her individual matchups with Fowles are the main strike against her now. To me it's not a deal-breaker if she doesn't win those battles, but she can't be losing them decisively every time.
Against the rest of the league though, she is doing at least as much damage as Fowles, with less help. I'm pretty impressed at how far she and a past-her-prime Taurasi have been able to drag this team this season. No way I would have expected it with D-Rob playing so far below her best.

I'd also love to see Griner give a shit about rebounding. Some of her efforts on the glass are still pretty embarrassing, and the emergence of Jonquel Jones has shone a further light what Griner's not doing. She's absolutely taken a step forward this season as an offensive threat, but there are still further steps to take.

PostPosted: 09/07/17 7:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
caune wrote:
zune69 wrote:

Robinson & Bonner for Johnson & Achonwa.

Or

Robinson & Bonner for Indiana's 1st rd pick(3rd/4th)....Indiana won't trade their 1st rd pick if it's 1st/2nd.

They don't have anything the Mercury need without that pick.

PostPosted: 09/07/17 7:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

I'd also love to see Griner give a shit about rebounding. Some of her efforts on the glass are still pretty embarrassing, and the emergence of Jonquel Jones has shone a further light what Griner's not doing. She's absolutely taken a step forward this season as an offensive threat, but there are still further steps to take.

Which makes it kinda scary that, at her best, she's probably the best player in the league.

PostPosted: 09/07/17 8:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Which makes it kinda scary that, at her best, she's probably the best player in the league.

It is a mystery to me as to why she isn't a better rebounder. But, Bill Russell once said most all rebounds are caught below the rim - you don't have to be that tall to get them. (Maybe no longer true in the NBA, but certainly it is true in the WNBA.)

caune

PostPosted: 09/08/17 7:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

It is a mystery to me as to why she isn't a better rebounder. But, Bill Russell once said most all rebounds are caught below the rim - you don't have to be that tall to get them. (Maybe no longer true in the NBA, but certainly it is true in the WNBA.)

She has shown the ability to learn and grow....but really only focus on one thing at a time. Smile Her rebounding has improved and occasionally shows flashes of beast on the boards. I hope within a few years she'll be averaging 20 10, easily.
But look how long it took Big Syl to become the best. Britney is ahead of her in that regard.

PostPosted: 09/08/17 1:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

But they're often caught below the rim after you do your work when it's above. You have to turn, fight for position, and then want to go after the ball. It doesn't necessarily mean skying to claim it 10+ft off the ground, it means making sure you're the one with best chance to claim it.

And while it might seem like she's improved, her rebound percentage for her five years in the WNBA are 14.1, 15.4, 15.7, 13.6, 14.6. So all floating around the same area, and actually worse this year than in years 2 and 3.

PostPosted: 09/08/17 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm satisfied with Griner as she is now anyway. I don't need her to get any better.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: