Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 91, 92, 93  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LibFan25

PostPosted: 09/07/17 8:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Lexie Brown is really flying under the radar

Last season:

18.3p/3.9a/3.7r/2.8s/49%/40%/93%

If Lexie had a uconn logo on her uniform,people would say she's a lottery pick.

not me lol i'ma be watching all her games this season. and im sure WNBA Scouts will as well.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 09/07/17 10:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibFan25 wrote:
zune69 wrote:

Last season:

not me lol i'ma be watching all her games this season. and im sure WNBA Scouts will as well.

Shhh Lexie has already stated she hopes shes drafted to LA on her IG live dont let the cat out the bag !!

PostPosted: 09/08/17 7:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
LibFan25 wrote:
zune69 wrote:

Last season:

Shhh Lexie has already stated she hopes shes drafted to LA on her IG live dont let the cat out the bag !!

Lol LA already got Sims and Gray, that would be kinda not fair Crying or Very sad

ClayK

PostPosted: 09/08/17 9:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
I had this discussion with clayk about the need of three point shooting. His point is that three point shooting is a necessity for the way the game is played today. Everyone has seen how successful the Golden State warriors have been with their talented long range shooters and now believe that is the gold standard to aim for if your team wants to win championships.
I won't disagree that having great three point shooters on any team does help to win games. I just would like to see more young people try to master making midrange jump shots. Having a great midrange shot adds so much to a player's offensive arsenal. The ball fakes that you can use with a midrange opens up driving lanes to the basket.
I'm afraid the midrange shot will die and join the hook shot in the basketball cemetery.

A couple points, from my perspective:

1) When I work with girls, I start with layups, then work on free throws, and then on three-pointers. Once they're comfortable with those aspects, I like to add something in the mid-range (I prefer the runner, but it depends on the girl's strength). So it's not as if the mid-range shot isn't a good thing to have, it's just that given the way the game has evolved, mastering the others first is more important.

So a girl with a mid-range jumper or consistent floater is going to be a better offensive player than one without, but not that many girls are really consistent with either, in part because the other shots are more important.

2) I remember the hook shot -- but I don't know that the game has missed it that much. Even the jump hook has faded away ... evolution in action, I guess.

PostPosted: 09/08/17 9:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Clayk, the best center and the top scorer in NBA history used a hook shot to score the majority of his points.
I guess I'm just showing my age with my love affair with the midrange jump shot. The basketball stars of my youth made long successful careers by making midrange jump shots. I was a Kobe Bryant fan because during his prime he was a throwback to how the game was played decades ago..

PostPosted: 09/08/17 10:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree with Rock at least partially. Especially IMO, the mid-range pullup from 12' is such a sweet shot. I love it when a player can be consistent with that shot and a kid with a quick first step should be able to get a good look on a regular basis. Obviously if it's not consistent then it's not a good shot because you want it to be high % or it's mathematically not practical. Anyway, glad to hear you work on FTs because that is one of my pet peeves. There is something wrong when a player can make threes consistently but shoots 60% from the FT line.

- Amanda Gorman
ClayK

PostPosted: 09/08/17 12:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I agree with Rock at least partially. Especially IMO, the mid-range pullup from 12' is such a sweet shot. I love it when a player can be consistent with that shot and a kid with a quick first step should be able to get a good look on a regular basis. Obviously if it's not consistent then it's not a good shot because you want it to be high % or it's mathematically not practical. Anyway, glad to hear you work on FTs because that is one of my pet peeves. There is something wrong when a player can make threes consistently but shoots 60% from the FT line.

Free throws are difficult in that they are really mental, not physical. As I tell players, even fifth graders, "Everyone here can make a free throw. Your body knows how to do it -- what gets in the way is your head."

Of course, a significant minority have some mechanical flaws, but really, cleaning those up mainly gives the player reason to believe that things will be better -- and that's really the key.

I always ask this question first: "Are you confident at the free-throw line?" If the answer is "yes," I leave the girl alone, because that's 90% of it. I'd rather have a confident girl with bad form than a girl who doubts herself with perfect form.

PostPosted: 09/08/17 12:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Gabby was the player of the game in the big contest against ND last season.
She was a one-woman wrecking crew.

This graphic doesn't include the 6 assists and 5 steals

She will need to be a 3 in the WNBA and right now has no 3-point shot. But Alicia Clark made the transition and developed the shot.

Randy

PostPosted: 09/08/17 1:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

I always ask this question first: "Are you confident at the free-throw line?" If the answer is "yes," I leave the girl alone, because that's 90% of it. I'd rather have a confident girl with bad form than a girl who doubts herself with perfect form.

I think a lot of times players get worse when the deviate from the form they learned (maybe when they were not strong enough to use the right form). They sort have to start over and get worse before they get better.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/08/17 1:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Shades wrote:
Gabby was the player of the game in the big contest against ND last season.
She was a one-woman wrecking crew.

This graphic doesn't include the 6 assists and 5 steals

She will need to be a 3 in the WNBA and right now has no 3-point shot. But Alysha Clark made the transition and developed the shot.

Exactly, except I believe Clark has been a post player all her life, while Geno has converted Gabby from a guard to a hybrid post player for his evil purposes. It should be much a less difficult and lengthy transition for Gabby, and hopefully this transition will start in Gabby's senior year.

Even if she doesn't develop a consistent jump shot her senior year, I don't think it'll drop her stock that much. Her energy and willingness to play defense will make her a top target.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
bballjunkie

PostPosted: 09/08/17 1:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It seems that one of her biggest attributes is being overlooked- her passing, she had 190 assists. Geno played her at the high post as Collier could not make the passes Or reads Gabby does, Gabby could have easily scored more, particularly on passes from KLS but that would not play to the strength of the team which was having Gabby in that spot.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 09/08/17 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
It seems that one of her biggest attributes is being overlooked- her passing, she had 190 assists. Geno played her at the high post as Collier could not make the passes Or reads Gabby does, Gabby could have easily scored more, particularly on passes from KLS but that would not play to the strength of the team which was having Gabby in that spot.

I don't know her high school history very well but I heard she played the point guard position there. That would explain her passing skills and ability to read the defense..

PostPosted: 09/08/17 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:

I don't know her high school history very well but I heard she played the point guard position there. That would explain her passing skills and ability to read the defense.

PostPosted: 09/08/17 1:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes she played PG, it is always easier for those who have experienced playing on the perimeter than those forwards who have always played in the paint as that's where there instincts are and they haven't had the reps.

LibFan25

PostPosted: 09/08/17 11:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gabby Williams has the heart of the lion, goes hard every possession. agree with Rebecca Lobo when she compares her to Tamika Catchings. i will be shocked if she's not a lottery pick, if she falls, Libs better jump all over that

toad455

PostPosted: 09/09/17 7:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibFan25 wrote:
Gabby Williams has the heart of the lion, goes hard every possession. agree with Rebecca Lobo when she compares her to Tamika Catchings. i will be shocked if she's not a lottery pick, if she falls, Libs better jump all over that

Williams IS a lottery pick. Without question.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 09/09/17 8:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
LibFan25 wrote:

Williams is a top 2 pick, unless Collier comes out early.
Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/09/17 10:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
toad455 wrote:
LibFan25 wrote:

That'd be tough on her if the lottery goes by the numbers. On top of the expectations for any #2, she'd instantly be 'the next Tamika Catchings' in Indiana.

PostPosted: 09/09/17 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
LibFan25 wrote:

Williams will be taken high but anyone who watched the Miss St game wouldn't think Collier was better than Williams #exposed Laughing

#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 09/09/17 11:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
toad455 wrote:
LibFan25 wrote:

Williams will be taken high but anyone who watched the Miss St game wouldn't think Collier was better than Williams #exposed Laughing

Collier has a very unique skill set, I could see her leading the league in scoring, Williams is a great player but gets most of her points off hustle plays.
Shades

PostPosted: 09/09/17 11:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
toad455 wrote:
LibFan25 wrote:

Collier has a very unique skill set, I could see her leading the league in scoring, Williams is a great player but gets most of her points off hustle plays.

Tell us more about her skill set. At her height, she'd have to have the motor of a Sophia Young or Ogwumike to make it as a PF in the WNBA.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 09/09/17 11:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
toad455 wrote:
LibFan25 wrote:

That'd be tough on her if the lottery goes by the numbers. On top of the expectations for any #2, she'd instantly be 'the next Tamika Catchings' in Indiana.

I think Gabby can be Catchings like, to me she would be the perfect wing for the stars.
Randy

PostPosted: 09/09/17 5:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Catching like or Catching Lite?

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 09/09/17 7:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I really don't care what other people think. If Williams can shoot the ball at a high percentage at the fifteen foot range this college season she will be a lottery pick and she will be a damn good WNBA player. She can have a Randy Moss size chip on her shoulder and prove all the haters that they were wrong. Cool

PostPosted: 09/09/17 11:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
I really don't care what other people think. If Williams can shoot the ball at a high percentage at the fifteen foot range this college season she will be a lottery pick and she will be a damn good WNBA player. She can have a Randy Moss size chip on her shoulder and prove all the haters that they were wrong. Cool
She's going to be a lottery pick. The narrative is already been stated on that. UConn players draft stock are are more likely to be be over inflated than under inflated because they are seen as pro ready, low risk high reward players.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 91, 92, 93  Next
Page 14 of 93

Jump to: