Board Junkies Forums

Top 100 scorers in WNBA history
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ucdt3

PostPosted: 09/13/14 7:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Top 100 Finals scorers

Kind of unfair to the players who weren't playing in 3 or 5 game series during their playing time. Diana's played in 13 games. Coop hasn't, but has been to the "Finals" more than Dee (4 to 3).
Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/13/14 10:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucdt3 wrote:
Kind of unfair to the players who weren't playing in 3 or 5 game series during their playing time. Diana's played in 13 games. Coop hasn't, but has been to the "Finals" more than Dee (4 to 3).

Same as in virtually every US sports league. Playoff stat records are generally tilted towards the modern era because they play more games.

Location: South Carolina, United States, North America, Earth

PostPosted: 09/13/14 11:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Diana just straight disrespected everybody's records this year Laughing

ucdt3

PostPosted: 09/14/14 10:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
ucdt3 wrote:

Same as in virtually every US sports league. Playoff stat records are generally tilted towards the modern era because they play more games.

I know but this league is still in its "modern" era. It's not even 20 years old. Yes, new generation of players, but due to the many changes the league implemented after decade 1, it has allowed for decade 2's players to grab many of the records. Just wanted people to know that as great as Taurasi's game is (and believe me, no one loves her game more) there is a reason she is already the Finals' scoring leader in only 3 trips.
GEF34

PostPosted: 09/14/14 2:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucdt3 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
ucdt3 wrote:

I know but this league is still in its "modern" era. It's not even 20 years old. Yes, new generation of players, but due to the many changes the league implemented after decade 1, it has allowed for decade 2's players to grab many of the records. Just wanted people to know that as great as Taurasi's game is (and believe me, no one loves her game more) there is a reason she is already the Finals' scoring leader in only 3 trips.

I've actually been thinking about this for a while, I remember reading on one of ESPN's twitter a few weeks ago about the Phoenix Mercury being the first team to win 29 games in a season in WNBA history, and thinking one year 29 wins wasn't even possible, and in the 2nd year it was nearly impossible, the Comets went 27-3 that season. With the way the seasons and teams grew so quickly many people don't realize how much shorter the season was when the league first started.

Part of me thinks a season record or career record should stand on it's own, like you don't say Tina Thompson holds the career record for points scored playing X games, while Diana Taurasi holds the career records for points scored playing Y games. It's just one list, regardless of who played in what season or how many games or minutes they played.

But then part of me things the history of the league is important and the little details like the 1997 season was 28 games games long with 8 teams, the top 4 teams regardless of conference advanced to the playoffs and each round was one game, in 1998 the season was 30 games long with 10 teams, the top 4 teams regardless of conference advanced to the playoffs with each round being best of 3, in 1999 the season was 32 games with 12 teams, the top 3 teams from each conference advanced to the playoffs, the top seeded team got a bye, and 2 played 3 1 game to see who advanced to play the top seed, and the conference finals and finals were 3 game series, and so on and so forth. Many people who have just started following the league don't now much if any of that, and I think it should be known as it is part of the history and the story of the league.

ucdt3

PostPosted: 09/14/14 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
I've actually been thinking about this for a while, I remember reading on one of ESPN's twitter a few weeks ago about the Phoenix Mercury being the first team to win 29 games in a season in WNBA history, and thinking one year 29 wins wasn't even possible, and in the 2nd year it was nearly impossible, the Comets went 27-3 that season. With the way the seasons and teams grew so quickly many people don't realize how much shorter the season was when the league first started.

Part of me thinks a season record or career record should stand on it's own, like you don't say Tina Thompson holds the career record for points scored playing X games, while Diana Taurasi holds the career records for points scored playing Y games. It's just one list, regardless of who played in what season or how many games or minutes they played.

But then part of me things the history of the league is important and the little details like the 1997 season was 28 games games long with 8 teams, the top 4 teams regardless of conference advanced to the playoffs and each round was one game, in 1998 the season was 30 games long with 10 teams, the top 4 teams regardless of conference advanced to the playoffs with each round being best of 3, in 1999 the season was 32 games with 12 teams, the top 3 teams from each conference advanced to the playoffs, the top seeded team got a bye, and 2 played 3 1 game to see who advanced to play the top seed, and the conference finals and finals were 3 game series, and so on and so forth. Many people who have just started following the league don't now much if any of that, and I think it should be known as it is part of the history and the story of the league.

Same can be said for college ball. Texas went undefeated with 34 games in 1986 then UConn undefeated with 35 games in 1995 then undefeated in 2002 with 39 games then Baylor undefeated in 2012 with 40 games matched again this season by UConn with 40. Games continue to get added in a season that why Per Game averages are used to determine awards more so than totals. Totals are used for records. I guess there's never gonna be a sure fire way to determine coulda, woulda, shoulda's. That's why the games are played and people give their opinions. Because there's really no way to prove those opinions wrong, unless there are totally off-base.
GEF34

PostPosted: 09/14/14 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucdt3 wrote:
GEF34 wrote:

Same can be said for college ball. Texas went undefeated with 34 games in 1986 then UConn undefeated with 35 games in 1995 then undefeated in 2002 with 39 games then Baylor undefeated in 2012 with 40 games matched again this season by UConn with 40. Games continue to get added in a season that why Per Game averages are used to determine awards more so than totals. Totals are used for records. I guess there's never gonna be a sure fire way to determine coulda, woulda, shoulda's. That's why the games are played and people give their opinions. Because there's really no way to prove those opinions wrong, unless there are totally off-base.

I agree with what you are saying, I think, but I'm confused about how it relates to what I wrote. Maybe I'm not conveying what I wanted to say well enough. What I was saying is I think the history of the league is important for fans to know, probably not in as minute details as say pilight or richyyy or others on here, but still it should be known in some way and I think it often times gets overlooked. In this thread a few years ago poster wrote "I'm kinda surprised at Cooper's rank, I would've thought she had more. But it does indicate to me that current players score a heckuva lot more than players 10 years ago." Sure players are scoring more, but how many of them are scoring more because of more games as opposed to be better scorers.

pilight

PostPosted: 09/24/15 6:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Out from last year: Nakia Sanford, Ebony Hoffman

PostPosted: 09/25/15 8:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Assuming she only plays one more season as expected, looks like Catchings will come up just short of Thompson for the top spot. Taurasi should move into #1 overall sometime in 2017 if she actually plays the next two seasons (and doesn't miss too many games for whatever other reasons, obviously).

PostPosted: 09/25/15 8:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Assuming she only plays one more season as expected, looks like Catchings will come up just short of Thompson for the top spot.

That could be a good excuse for Catchings to put off retirement for another year.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight

PostPosted: 09/25/15 8:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Assuming she only plays one more season as expected, looks like Catchings will come up just short of Thompson for the top spot. Taurasi should move into #1 overall sometime in 2017 if she actually plays the next two seasons (and doesn't miss too many games for whatever other reasons, obviously).

It's not out of the question for Catchings to take the top spot. She's had seasons good enough to get there before. The Favorite Toy rates her as 53% likely to break the record, though it is unaware she's announced her retirement. As for Taurasi, I'm not convinced she'll ever be back. Ekat could easily keep paying her to take summers off.

PostPosted: 09/25/15 11:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

It's not out of the question for Catchings to take the top spot. She's had seasons good enough to get there before. The Favorite Toy rates her as 53% likely to break the record, though it is unaware she's announced her retirement. As for Taurasi, I'm not convinced she'll ever be back. Ekat could easily keep paying her to take summers off.

Didn't Ekat claim there's no such deal? So maybe Taurasi made it up as an excuse to take time off. PR, you know?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
GEF34

PostPosted: 09/25/15 10:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Didn't Ekat claim there's no such deal? So maybe Taurasi made it up as an excuse to take time off. PR, you know?

I thought both Diana Taurasi and UMMC Ekaterinburg said the deal was she had to sit out either 2014 or 2015 for her contract to become guaranteed.

pilight

PostPosted: 09/20/16 5:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Out from last year: Nicole Ohlde, Kedra Holland-Korn, Cathrine Kraayeveld, Latasha Byears

PostPosted: 09/06/17 10:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

2017 update

Out from last year: Elena Baranova, Coco Miller, Vicky Bullett

PostPosted: 09/07/17 9:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why did I never notice you had all the diacritical marks on Vodichkova's name before?

Also, I love this, both because it makes us more aware of our history and because it shows that we're still writing it.

(now with spelling variations)
pilight

PostPosted: 09/07/17 10:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Why did I never notice you had all the diacritical marks on Vodichkova's name before?

Also, I love this, both because it makes us more aware of our history and because it shows that we're still writing it.

I find it somewhat disconcerting that Tina Charles is already one the top 20 scorers in league history. It gets worse when I realize she's played more than twice as many WNBA games as Cynthia Cooper.

PostPosted: 09/07/17 6:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This list always reminds me of how young this league still is. Virtually any half-decent player who hung around a while is on there. Tammy Sutton-Brown, a player never exactly known for her offensive prowess, is a top-50 scorer in WNBA history. There's definitely still a lot of history to be written.

PostPosted: 09/07/17 9:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
This list always reminds me of how young this league still is. Virtually any half-decent player who hung around a while is on there. Tammy Sutton-Brown, a player never exactly known for her offensive prowess, is a top-50 scorer in WNBA history.

Hell, Ticha is still in the Top 75!

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 09/07/17 11:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seeing this list reading the different names and generations males my heart warm. I miss the old WNBA sometimes!

PostPosted: 09/08/17 12:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Charles, McCoughtry and Moore probably have the best shot to surpass DT in the future as the #1 scorer of all time. A slim chance, but a chance.

pilight

PostPosted: 09/08/17 6:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Depends on where Taurasi takes the record. She's not given any indication she's about to retire.

OTOH, Tina Charles has scored more points than Taurasi had at the same age.

PostPosted: 08/20/18 9:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

2018 update

Out from last year: Janel McCarville, Ruthie Bolton, Ann Wauters, Murriel Page, Tari Phillips, Cheryl Ford

NOTE: Ruthie Bolton was the league's All Time leading scorer for 13 days in 1997. She is the first All Time leader to drop from the top 100.

PostPosted: 08/20/18 10:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Taurasi's gonna set a hell of a figure for future scorers to chase. Three more seasons at a reasonable level (for her) and she'd crack five digits.

PostPosted: 08/22/18 10:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Taurasi's gonna set a hell of a figure for future scorers to chase. Three more seasons at a reasonable level (for her) and she'd crack five digits.

FWIW, the Favorite Toy only shows a 15% chance of her reaching 10k.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: