2018 Team USA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 09/07/17 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:
Wait, Plum over A. Gray and Sykes? Shocked Confused Rolling Eyes The politics of USA basketball rears it's ugly head again and stinks to the high heavens as usual!

They could only take 1 gunner Laughing

Right, but Plum is supposed to be a point guard Shocked

Laughing Laughing

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 09/07/17 5:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:
Wait, Plum over A. Gray and Sykes? Shocked Confused Rolling Eyes The politics of USA basketball rears it's ugly head again and stinks to the high heavens as usual!

They could only take 1 gunner Laughing

They needed more guards who can handle the ball so that is why they took Plum. At this point i wouldnt want Sykes (or Gray for that matter) anywhere near team USA. Let her learn how to share the ball next season first with Angel being back

I dont get why Wiese on this team. Take Jasmine Thomas who has been shooting better and can do other things aswell.

Allie Quigley is Hungarian btw so she cant be selected.

So Quigley and Sloot are both on the Hungarian team?

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 09/07/17 6:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:

So it looks like even with Staley they are going with EDD over Parker.

They could easily take both.

The absurdity is that even with Staley they are going with Stokes and Tuck over Parker

Maybe Staley wanted some sacrificial lambs at that position she can readily justify passing over in favor of Wilson.

The obvious takeaway is that politics and cronyism will continue to reign supreme.

toad455

PostPosted: 09/07/17 6:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Did they have to snub Parker during the playoffs?? She's going to have that extra motivation now to win another title.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/07/17 6:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:

They both have the passport, but you can only use one naturalised player at a time, so the Hungarians have to pick one or the other.

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
Tiffany Hayes? I thought she already played for Azerbaijan, which would eliminate her from consideration for the national team, right?

She played for them in a 3x3 tournament, which awhom111 mentioned might not count. Apparently it didn't, unless USA Basketball have screwed up. It's still surprising to see her on the list, considering previous eras of USA Basketball tended to shun anyone who pursued a different passport. If you decided you wanted to get a Russian passport there was no way in hell the US were going to offer you an invite, even if you were still technically eligible.

Wiese was the only name on the list that really made me double-take, although Tuck's a bit silly. Unless she turned it down for some reason, Jasmine Thomas should be there, given her performances this season and the players who've been invited instead.

Last edited by Richyyy on 09/07/17 6:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 09/07/17 6:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
bballjunkie wrote:

So it looks like even with Staley they are going with EDD over Parker.

They could easily take both.

The absurdity is that even with Staley they are going with Stokes and Tuck over Parker

Maybe Staley wanted some sacrificial lambs at that position she can readily justify passing over in favor of Wilson.

The obvious takeaway is that politics and cronyism will continue to reign supreme.

I think Parker declined the invite, which is why she tweeted what pilight posted. She doesn't want to give USA basketball another chance to snub her. And she was clearly snubbed last go-round.

awhom111

PostPosted: 09/07/17 9:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:

They both have the passport, but you can only use one naturalised player at a time, so the Hungarians have to pick one or the other.

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
Tiffany Hayes? I thought she already played for Azerbaijan, which would eliminate her from consideration for the national team, right?

She played for them in a 3x3 tournament, which awhom111 mentioned might not count. Apparently it didn't, unless USA Basketball have screwed up. It's still surprising to see her on the list, considering previous eras of USA Basketball tended to shun anyone who pursued a different passport. If you decided you wanted to get a Russian passport there was no way in hell the US were going to offer you an invite, even if you were still technically eligible.

Wiese was the only name on the list that really made me double-take, although Tuck's a bit silly. Unless she turned it down for some reason, Jasmine Thomas should be there, given her performances this season and the players who've been invited instead.

Yeah, I was pretty surprised USA Basketball did not consider Hayes a "Basketball Traitor" and decline to invite her. If they ever wanted her on the actual team, that would be a more complex decision for her because she would likely be reducing her earnings capabilities overseas by switching back to being American.

Trying to figure out how much weight that the committee gives to making sure those who have been part of the program continue to get invites. In that regard, I am surprised not to see Elizabeth Williams, but I suppose we never really know who else was considered.
Randy

PostPosted: 09/07/17 10:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:

Yeah, I was pretty surprised USA Basketball did not consider Hayes a "Basketball Traitor" and decline to invite her.

They may still consider her a basketball traitor, so they invite her planning to cut her at the first opportunity.

BTW - I think Angel declined the invitation. Maybe too busy with her Coed Team or her Ice Cream empire.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/08/17 12:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If all these players are healthy, available, want to compete and the team is picked from this pool the young players are screwed again

Bird/Whalen/Diggins
DT/Augustus
Moore/EDD
Charles/N. Ogwumike/Stewart
Fowles/Griner

Diggins and N. Ogwumike replace Angel and Catch everyone else from the Olympics are back.

waiting in the wings if there is an injury or one of the vets decides to pass

Sims
C. Gray
Loyd
McBride
Wilson
Dolson

Everyone, else thanks for playing, keep in touch, who know what happens come 2020?

toad455

PostPosted: 09/08/17 5:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bird, Whalen & Augustus need to hang it up. Sorry. Replace them with Loyd, C. Gray & Sims.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
PUmatty

PostPosted: 09/08/17 9:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Remember, the WC typically does not match up with the Olympic teams, even with accounting for players who have aged out. It is usually not as strong.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/08/17 8:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Parker and McCoughtry, possibly among others, declined invites according to Voepel: http://www.espn.com/olympics/basketball/story/_/id/20618994/usa-women-basketball-roster-taking-shape-training-camp

PostPosted: 09/09/17 9:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Serious question.

For vets like Bird, Whalen, DT and Augustus wouldn't you only come to camp if you were still serious about wanting to be on the team? What I'm trying to say is if any were thinking about skipping the World's in 18 wouldn't they simply decline the invite? Unless they just love being around the other players?

Shades

PostPosted: 09/09/17 10:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Serious question.

For vets like Bird, Whalen, DT and Augustus wouldn't you only come to camp if you were still serious about wanting to be on the team? What I'm trying to say is if any were thinking about skipping the World's in 18 wouldn't they simply decline the invite? Unless they just love being around the other players?

I don't understand why you would think that they wouldn't want to be on the team?

http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=92418&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=49

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/10/17 12:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Its not that I don't think they want to be on the team. Or that I think the team needs to go younger.

However it did cross my mind that some of those players would want to end with their successful Olympic run in 2016 which was pure speculation on my part. Showing up to camp suggests to me they wish to continue with the team. Which does lead me to believe their will be less spots for younger players than I originally thought there would be.

I had assumed that the Worlds in 2018 would be the beginning of the transition to the next incarnation of the Worlds and Olympic team, and there would be more roster turnover (especially at the guard spots) than there has been since 2012.

awhom111

PostPosted: 09/20/17 8:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here is the final list of players:
https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2017/09/wnt-camp-20-
athletes.aspx

In congratulating her teammates, Elizabeth Williams seemed to suggest that she is resting up from wear and tear so she may have been considered and not included for health reasons.
Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/21/17 7:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From the original list, the only one not showing up (or on a team in the Finals) is Tina Charles.

Also occurs to me that Sydney Wiese would probably be better off joining up with Team USA. Not like she's gonna play in the Finals outside garbage time.

PostPosted: 09/21/17 9:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bird (easy in)
Clarendon (gets points for her social activism)
Collier (easy early cut but UConn factor exists)
Delle Donne (still has time to realize this is just Worlds and back out)
Diggins (it's probably her time, like HRC)
Dolson (desperation backup)
Durr (easy early cut)
Griner (easy in)
Hayes (according to Richyyy shouldn't even be here)
Loyd (first in candidate to replace the old guard)
McBride (first in candidate to replace the old guard)
KMitchell (intriguing possibility for youthful injection)
Plum (easy early cut)
KLSamuelson (easy early cut but UConn factor exists)
Stewart (easy in)
Stokes (why is a WNBA bench player in camp? Oh, UConn)
Taurasi (easy in)
Tuck (why is a WNBA bench player in camp? Oh, UConn)
CWilliams (AAC player adopted by UConn?)
Wilson (coach's choice)

WNBA Finals Group
Augustus (should be easy in. See how Finals go)
CGray (has fairly strong up arrow but new to senior team camp)
Fowles (easy in, MVP)
Lavender (deserved to make last Worlds but now is WNBA backup)
Moore (easy in)
Ogwumike (should be easy in but wasn't included on Olympic team)
Sims (made previous Worlds team)
Whalen (should be easy in. See how Finals go. A favorite of Staley)
Wiese (easy early cut)

Bird/Whalen
Taurasi/Augustus/Diggins
Moore/Delle Donne
Ogwumike/Stewart/Wilson
Fowles/Griner

My bubble players in blue
CGray, Sims

With all the dropouts, this worked out pretty good.
Staley gets her girl and we'll call it injection of youth, just like Geno did with Stewart.
Still have the old guard, but I see them adding Diggins this time unless Sims undercuts her again.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
awhom111

PostPosted: 09/21/17 11:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I did not realize until checking social media that Plum arrived in Istanbul earlier this week. Is she going to fly back after a week or so of practice there stay for a few days and then fly back over for their opener? That sounds like a lot of fun.

This does not seem like an issue for many of these players. Taurasi and Griner obviously have enough tenure with their teams. McBride and Stokes probably can tell their teams to wait too. Williams has all the leverage to stay for camp.

Interestingly Hayes has signed in Israel again apparently so she's already preparing for life as an American player instead of an Azeri player I guess.
Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/22/17 6:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
Interestingly Hayes has signed in Israel again apparently so she's already preparing for life as an American player instead of an Azeri player I guess.

Presumably she gets to be 'European' for at least another year though, seeing as there aren't any actual games for her to represent the USA in. Someone must've checked the rules on all this with FIBA, right?

I wonder if more players are going to have their agents search for countries who want a 3x3 representative, if it means that they get to keep their future Team USA chances alive while getting the Euro passport? Although if she'd played for, say, Russia, USA Basketball might not have been so forgiving.

PostPosted: 09/22/17 7:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
I did not realize until checking social media that Plum arrived in Istanbul earlier this week. Is she going to fly back after a week or so of practice there stay for a few days and then fly back over for their opener? That sounds like a lot of fun.

This does not seem like an issue for many of these players. Taurasi and Griner obviously have enough tenure with their teams. McBride and Stokes probably can tell their teams to wait too. Williams has all the leverage to stay for camp.

If I'm reading the Google translation mess correctly, McBride's Turkish team posted an article about how great it was she would be with the US National team, that she would miss some exhibition games, but would be back with the Yakin Dugu team for an Oct 5 game with Dynamo Kursk. Indeed it looks like the team said something to the effect that Kayla being invited to the US team is evidence of what a great decision they made in hiring her.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 09/22/17 11:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
awhom111 wrote:

If I'm reading the Google translation mess correctly, McBride's Turkish team posted an article about how great it was she would be with the US National team, that she would miss some exhibition games, but would be back with the Yakin Dugu team for an Oct 5 game with Dynamo Kursk. Indeed it looks like the team said something to the effect that Kayla being invited to the US team is evidence of what a great decision they made in hiring her.

Plum is flying back.

awhom111

PostPosted: 09/22/17 11:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
awhom111 wrote:

Presumably she gets to be 'European' for at least another year though, seeing as there aren't any actual games for her to represent the USA in. Someone must've checked the rules on all this with FIBA, right?

I wonder if more players are going to have their agents search for countries who want a 3x3 representative, if it means that they get to keep their future Team USA chances alive while getting the Euro passport? Although if she'd played for, say, Russia, USA Basketball might not have been so forgiving.

Yes, but unless they changed the rules in Israel, being European does not have any effect on your status as a player unless you are Jewish/have Israeli citizenship.

I think the Azerbaijan hosting the European Games and wanting a team was a unique set of circumstances that may not happen again, so I guess it was good for her and Aneika Henry to take advantage while they could. There are some players who have been pretty smart with taking premier naturalization opportunities when available, especially from countries that do not always field senior teams like Armenia. Now that qualifying games are played in season, people like Noelle Quinn who get citizenship from places like Bulgaria get the benefits without having many commitments. The other trick of course is to find countries that hand out naturalization like candy and hope that they find a player that they would rather field besides you.
ucbart

PostPosted: 09/26/17 10:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It was announced recently that the World Championships will be held in the Canary Islands, not Spain's mainland. I plan on going to this. Anyone else?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/26/17 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
It was announced recently that the World Championships will be held in the Canary Islands, not Spain's mainland. I plan on going to this. Anyone else?

Yup Very Happy.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 4 of 23

Jump to: