RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Global Mixed Gender Basketball League

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hyperetic

PostPosted: 08/31/17 9:45 am    ::: Global Mixed Gender Basketball League Reply Reply with quote

Thoughts? I think the NBA is too well established, too mega for this new league to have any real effect on it but what are the potential effects on the W?

http://www.globalmixedgenderbasketball.com/
Randy

PostPosted: 08/31/17 10:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The New Orleans franchise at least seems to have started building a team. Atlanta has an owner, but their doesn't seem to be much news on the team or any players. The first game is Atl v. NO in Las Vegas (?) so they have a lot of work to do.

I suppose it wouldn't be hard to find some players, but I think this concept will not take off. If they play in the regular basketball season then I don't think it really matters much to the WNBA.

GEF34

PostPosted: 09/03/17 1:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm confused by the league, they are getting some big names involved like Lisa Leslie and Dominique Wilkins as coaches, then they have players like Glenn Davis, Angel McCoughtry, Metta World Peace who were top players in the NBA and WNBA, but it looks like the 2 teams that are meeting on September 23 have a total of 7 players, 6 for the New Orleans Gators and 1 for the Atlanta Reign. Doesn't give the coaches and players much time, if any at all to learn to play together, unless they are only announcing the "big" names and the rest of the roster is filled by players they deem not worthy enough to have a press release on.

BTW for a league that preaches equality they refer to Dylan and Dakota Gonzalez as the Gonzalez twins in everything, they even list them as the Gonzalez twins on the roster at the bottom of the website. http://neworleansgators.com/ If David and Travis Wear were to sign with the league are they going to be billed as the Wear twins, or will they be billed as individual people.

I think this league has the ability to provide a lot of good things, but it doesn't seem like the effort need to make the league a true success is being put into. Hopefully there is a lot of things going on behind the scenes to contradict the appearance from the outside. And presumable based on the people getting involved there is a lot more work going on behind the scenes.

StevenHW

PostPosted: 09/05/17 2:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am wondering if any of their games will be televised. But I doubt that any channel from the ESPN family would be interested.

Maybe as a pay-per-view event? Or on Twitter?

And where are their games going to take place? My guess would be a high school gym or a local college?

PostPosted: 09/05/17 11:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So far the information I have seen is limited.
Randy

PostPosted: 09/06/17 7:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dominique Wilkins named the Atlanta coach. Seems like they are throwing a lot of money around. I can't see Wilkins and Angel coming cheap.

I'm guessing the LV game is kind of a exhibition game to launch the league. I also wonder if the success of the NBA 3 on 3 and the recent growth in interest in the Summer League is what is prompting this.

Getting a team together probably won't be hard. Plenty of players around who would like another shot at getting paid to play basketball. Plus, WNBA players whose teams are not in the playoffs might be more than happy to get some more paychecks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: