Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randy

PostPosted: 09/05/17 5:32 pm    ::: Atlanta Dream 2018 Reply Reply with quote

Lots of question marks.

Coach?
Angel?
Dantas coming back?

plus the usual questions - trades? draft? retirements (Sancho, Matee)? roster adds?

Might as well get the ball rolling.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/05/17 5:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Did you see the way I started the Minnesota thread? You're not supposed to have the questions. You're supposed to have the answers. Wink

And no, you're not trading McCoughtry and Hayes.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Randy

PostPosted: 09/05/17 6:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Did you see the way I started the Minnesota thread? You're not supposed to have the questions. You're supposed to have the answers. Wink

And no, you're not trading McCoughtry and Hayes.

I didn't see that. I don't know the answers anyway. And as for Angel - she has signed with every other team - the Beruit Bombers, the Russian Oligarchs and the Altanta Heir - but not the Dream. So who knows if she is coming back.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 09/05/17 6:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Atlanta best chance at improvement is for Angel to return and Boyette to have a season like J. Jones did this season.

PostPosted: 09/05/17 6:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Atlanta best chance at improvement is for Angel to return and Boyette to have a season like J. Jones did this season.

As long as the first of those things happen, the Dream will make the playoffs. There haven't been eight teams in the WNBA better than Atlanta in any season that McCoughtry has played for them.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Randy

PostPosted: 09/05/17 7:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dream were a lottery team in 2015 with Angel. But it is nice to see someone with a positive mental attitude. Razz

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 09/05/17 7:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Dream were a lottery team in 2015 with Angel. But it is nice to see someone with a positive mental attitude. :P

Please re-read what I actually wrote, and advise.

There weren't eight teams in the WNBA better than Atlanta then, either. Under the current playoff format, the Dream would have been the eighth seed that year.

toad455

PostPosted: 09/05/17 8:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Really falls on whether Angel comes back or not. Otherwise it's mostly the same team.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Randy

PostPosted: 09/05/17 8:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
Randy wrote:
Dream were a lottery team in 2015 with Angel. But it is nice to see someone with a positive mental attitude. Razz

There weren't eight teams in the WNBA better than Atlanta then, either. Under the current playoff format, the Dream would have been the eighth seed that year.

Except they would have had to play more games with the West teams so who knows.

For 2018 you might be right, but I don't see much better than a quick exit from the playoff. Also depends on who the coach is and assuming they don't trade away Hayes, Sykes, Clarendon, Williams, Holmes or Dantas for 3 magic beans.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 09/05/17 8:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
Randy wrote:
Dream were a lottery team in 2015 with Angel. But it is nice to see someone with a positive mental attitude. :P

The trade-off to having to play one more game against the western teams that had their number, like the Lynx, Mercury and Sparks would have been one fewer game apiece against the eastern teams that had their number, being the Liberty, Sky and Fever. Not to mention an extra game against the Shock, Storm and Stars.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 09/05/17 9:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
Randy wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
Randy wrote:

The trade-off to having to play one more game against the western teams that had their number, like the Lynx, Mercury and Sparks would have been one fewer game apiece against the eastern teams that had their number, being the Liberty, Sky and Fever.

ATL were 0.455 vs the East and 0.417 vs the West, which doesn't suggest that more games vs the West would have helped them.

Silky Johnson wrote:
Not to mention an extra game against the Shock, Storm and Stars.

They lost to all 3 of those teams that season.

PostPosted: 09/05/17 9:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
For 2018 you might be right, but I don't see much better than a quick exit from the playoff.

Depends on what you mean by "quick." The best team almost always wins in a best-of-five series, which is a big part of why Atlanta is 0-9 in WNBA Finals games. But, with all due respect to Diana Taurasi and Maya Moore, there's no player in the league that I'd fear more in a one-game playoff than Angel McCoughtry. If McCoughtry returns in 2018, she'll be returning to a team that was better than the last team she played on (+Sykes and Dantas, better Williams and Clarendon, more mature Hayes). I would put money on a team with a core of McCoughtry, Sykes, Williams, Hayes, Clarendon and Dantas getting to the semis, maybe even the Finals, depending on how the draw plays out.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 09/05/17 9:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:

They lost to all 3 of those teams that season.

They also beat all three of those teams that season.

Randy

PostPosted: 09/05/17 9:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
Randy wrote:
For 2018 you might be right, but I don't see much better than a quick exit from the playoff.

Depends on what you mean by "quick." The best team almost always wins in a best-of-five series, which is a big part of why Atlanta is 0-9 in WNBA Finals games. But, with all due respect to Diana Taurasi and Maya Moore, there's no player in the league that I'd fear more in a one-game playoff than Angel McCoughtry. If McCoughtry returns in 2018, she'll be returning to a team that was better than the last team she played on (+Sykes and Dantas, better Williams and Clarendon, more mature Hayes). I would put money on a team with a core of McCoughtry, Sykes, Williams, Hayes, Clarendon and Dantas getting to the semis, maybe even the Finals, depending on how the draw plays out.

Great - we get a shot at 0-12 in the finals. Sign me up.

myrtle

PostPosted: 09/05/17 10:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It will be an interesting dynamic between Sykes and Angel. Is one basketball enough?

- Amanda Gorman
Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 09/05/17 10:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

You'd rather y'all were 0-0 in the Finals, like the Mystics?

pilight

PostPosted: 09/05/17 10:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
Randy wrote:

Nobody wants to be the Mystics

PostPosted: 09/05/17 10:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
Randy wrote:

Yeah. Playoffs are proof that God hates Atlanta sports fans. That's why we the opposing teams always smite us.

Queenie

PostPosted: 09/05/17 10:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
Randy wrote:

Does that include the Mystics?

(now with spelling variations)
pilight

PostPosted: 09/05/17 10:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
pilight wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
Randy wrote:

Does that include the Mystics?

Yes. That's why they're retreating to a 4000 seat arena and why they've never had a mascot that's even remotely Mystical and why their attendance has always been inversely related to team success. The Mystics and their fans are the most self loathing bunch in sports.

PostPosted: 09/05/17 10:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So here's a general impression, and I haven't studied the stats to confirm so feel free to tell me I'm wrong:

First half of 2017, we saw a balanced team, moving the ball well, four-five players in double figures just about every game, and some surprisingly good basketball and unexpected wins.

Second half of 2017, mostly the same players, but now it's turning into the Brittney Sykes Show. Fortunately Sykes is good, but at the same time it sort of feels like the old Angel McCoughtry show - with a key difference being that the Brittney Sykes Show isn't enough to win many games.

I put most of this on the coaches - let's call it some combination of (a) other teams got surprised at the first meeting - then they adjusted and figured out how to stop us, and our coaches had to adjust back; (b) need to know how to make use of a star (or up-and-coming star) without sucking all the oxygen away from the rest of the team. (And if the rest of the team has suddenly started sucking, period, that's another problem...).

If someone can get that core of talent that Silky listed playing all together with only one basketball (thanks myrtle Smile ), then this is a pretty dangerous team.

Not too hard to argue that Michael Cooper isn't the coach to do that - if I buy my own line of reasoning above, then he was only able to get the team playing together when there wasn't a big star in the picture. To me, that's a much more telling reason to let him go than the results of any single trade.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/05/17 10:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Should Atl experiment and try and put A. McCoughtry at the PF spot. Going small worked well for the Sun moving A. Thomas to PF this season. With the teams it doesn't work well against you have Boyette on the bench, slide Williams to the 4 and have a more conventional lineup. It is either that or have Sykes as your instant offense off the bench, or someone gets traded.

I would not trade McCoughtry or Hayes, or have Hayes come off the bench as she is a great compliment to Angel.

Clarendon/(Free Agent)
Sykes/(2nd round pick #16 S. Thomas, Vivians or Atkins)
Hayes/Holmes
McCoughtry/(Dantas)/(Lyttle)
E. Williams/Boyette

If you don't go in this direction do you consider trading Sykes? Coming off a possible she will have good trade value, but I'm not convinced that she isn't healthy R. Williams as opposed to being a future all-star. I could be wrong jury is out. Atl was looking at Sims last season, Sykes for Sims would LA consider it?

Free agent PG if not Ajevon maybe bring back Cortijo, give O'neil a shot, wait to see if someone like Colson or dare say L. Allen ends up waived after next seasons draft. Other future waiver wire possibilities A. Peterson, Epps, S. Chong. I wonder if Latta is an unrestricted free agent.

Also with the Worlds next Summer I could see Dantas or Lyttle missing some of the season (if not all) so maybe try to pick up another post. I guess you still have Henry as an option. R. Gray is still available. If Dantas wants another Brazilian in town Dos Santos is floating around. If Chicago get a big in the lottery someone will drop off their roster maybe Hampton or C. Parker.

lynxmania

PostPosted: 09/05/17 11:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
If Dantas wants another Brazilian in town Dos Santos is floating around. If Chicago get a big in the lottery someone will drop off their roster maybe Hampton or C. Parker.

Pretty sure Dos Santos is still with San Antonio - just under a suspension. Tho Dantas could call de Souza up and tell her to make a comeback for the ATL!

Hampton was already waived due to her injury and with 2 lottery picks, I doubt they pick her back up.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/05/17 11:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
If Dantas wants another Brazilian in town Dos Santos is floating around. If Chicago get a big in the lottery someone will drop off their roster maybe Hampton or C. Parker.

Pretty sure Dos Santos is still with San Antonio - just under a suspension. Tho Dantas could call de Souza up and tell her to make a comeback for the ATL!

Hampton was already waived due to her injury and with 2 lottery picks, I doubt they pick her back up.

If she is healthy Atl could do a lot worse than Hampton for a 4th or 5th post. I wouldn't mind NY giving Kiesha a camp invite for that matter.

I almost did think about bringing Erika back to re-unite the band for one last shot, but I didn't think it would go over well.

zune69

PostPosted: 09/06/17 12:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I still like the Boyette acquisition(as long as Atlanta doesn't win the lottery).The dream have legit championship talent.However,atlanta management will probably trade Boyette to eliminate the chances of having egg on their face for firing Cooper.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 1 of 18

Jump to: