View previous topic :: View next topic  
lynxmania

PostPosted: 08/28/17 5:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Official Now: Minnesota Lynx Sign Forward Cecilia Zandalasini

Shades

PostPosted: 08/28/17 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Color me intrigued.

Quote:
In 36 Italian league games this past season, Zandalasini averaged 9.3 ppg on 46.0% shooting and 4.3 rpg while helping her club team

I've already pointed this out, but these stats aren't that intriguing. Why the spite during Eurobasket?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
toad455

PostPosted: 08/28/17 5:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looks like she's eligible to play in the remaining regular season games.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
ClayK

PostPosted: 08/29/17 10:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting ... I wonder if she will be able to effective at this level with so little time to adjust. The WNBA is different than the other leagues.

PostPosted: 08/29/17 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I know stats aren't the whole story but R. Gray averaged 19 ppg and 11 rebs in the Italian league. I think Burdick put up some pretty good numbers there are well. Be interesting to see how she works out.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/29/17 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Zandalasini was a youngster on a team that spread the scoring around - http://www.fiba.basketball/europe/euroleaguewomen/2017/Famila-Schio#tab=statistics,all_phases . She was still efficient (ELW: 47% from the field, 56% from three), just didn't get that many shots.

But as stated before, I think this is more about future seasons than this one. Reeve has never liked playing youngsters to start with - never mind foreign ones showing up with a week left in the regular season.

PostPosted: 08/29/17 2:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:
I think Romero struggled playing off the ball during her senior year, it wasn't her natural position. I'm not sure why Semrau flip-flopped her and Brittney Brown but she looked more pro ready as a Junior when she was the primary point guard.

Yeah - she would look great one game and then be completely absent the next. I even went to a GA Tech game to watch her in person and it was one of her no shows, but I did think things just didn't go well when Brown was running the point.

agree. agree. I thought it was a big mistake when Semrau made that move.

- Amanda Gorman
Shades

PostPosted: 08/30/17 9:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania

PostPosted: 08/31/17 1:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://mobile.twitter.com/DishNSwish/status/903317272600698880
Quote:
David Siegel @DishNSwish 45m
WNBA & Minnesota Lynx will hold press conference to make major announcement on Saturday, September 2 at 2:15 pm at the Minnesota State Fair

All-Star Game?

pilight

PostPosted: 08/31/17 1:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe a new jersey sponsor

PostPosted: 08/31/17 2:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:
Quote:
WNBA & Minnesota Lynx will hold press conference to make major announcement on Saturday, September 2 at 2:15 pm at the Minnesota State Fair

All-Star Game?

Seeing that the WNBA is involved, that might be a good guess.

kojthiabkuv

PostPosted: 08/31/17 2:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:
Quote:

All-Star Game?

I'm thinking it's to announce just that!

Randy

PostPosted: 08/31/17 4:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sounds like something they are happy about, so yeah - probably the ASG.

kojthiabkuv

PostPosted: 08/31/17 6:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kent Youngblood‏ @BloodStrib 4hours ago
Lynx have announced news conference Saturday at the fair for a "major announcement". Expected: 2018 WNBA All Star game to Target Center

awesome!

toad455

PostPosted: 08/31/17 7:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good for them! Congrats!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Randy

PostPosted: 08/31/17 8:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This means that Whalen, Augustus and Brunson can't retire at the end of the season though they probably wouldn't anyway.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/01/17 8:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://m.startribune.com/lynx-wnba-expected-to-announc-all-star-game-headed-to-minneapolis-in-2018/442400863/

Quote:
With the Lynx as perennial WNBA championship contenders, the Timberwolves building momentum and the Target Center nearing a renovation completion, the market appears ripe for the WNBA’s feature event.

To that end, Lynx and Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor told the Star Tribune in July that the Lynx had made a bid for the game.

Quote:
“I think right now is the right time for us to do it,” Taylor said at the time. “This is a team that is winning, with the great players we have. We have a new practice facility and the Target Center. Just everything. There is a lot to show off.”

Quote:
Target Center is about to reopen after an extensive — and expensive — remodel that forced the Lynx to move to Xcel Energy Center for the 2017 regular season.

Quote:
The fan base is here, too, with the Lynx near the top of the league in attendance, averaging well over 9,000 fans a game. The game will add to an already sports-heavy lineup of events coming to the Twin Cities, a list that begins with the Super Bowl in February, the women’s and men’s NCAA Frozen Fours and the NCAA volleyball Final Four. The men’s basketball Final Four will be here in 2019.

Quote:
The Lynx are one of six current WNBA teams that have not hosted the event. After next summer that list will shrink to five — Chicago, Indiana, Dallas, Atlanta and Los Angeles.

Quote:
“I think Minneapolis is ready,” Moore said last month. “It is ready to host this game. Obviously we’ve been doing what we’re doing for the last seven seasons. It just makes sense to bring this game to Minny. It would be fun. And people: It’s beautiful here in the summer.”

Shades

PostPosted: 09/01/17 8:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lynx coach Cheryl Reeve acknowledges rookie Alexis Jones 'deserved more time'

http://m.startribune.com/lynx-coach-cheryl-reeve-acknowledges-rookie-alexis-jones-deserved-more-time/442422163/

Quote:
In the fourth quarter, in which the Lynx put a tight game away by outscoring the Fever 20-11, Jones played all 10 minutes.

"She made some big shots," Lynx coach Cheryl Reeve said. "She had a nice play, in transition, to Seimone [Augustus]. This is a player with a bright future."

Quote:
Jones and veteran Jia Perkins combined for 21 points Wednesday off the bench. Of those, 14 came in the fourth quarter, with Jones scoring eight and Perkins six.

Quote:
"Renee was struggling," Reeve said. "A.J. came in and played confidently. It was an important game, on a big stage. She showed she can play."

Quote:
But Reeve has seen enough to put her into any situation should the need arise.

"We would not hesitate to pull the trigger in the playoffs," Reeve said.

Perkins will continue to be Augustus' primary backup at off guard. But her improved play, and Jones', has perhaps given Reeve a deeper bench going forward.

"Looking back, I think A.J. deserved more time [earlier in the season]," Reeve said. "But hindsight is 20-20. But now we're completely comfortable with her."

Shades

PostPosted: 09/01/17 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://lynx.wnba.com/news/minnesota-lynx-announce-multi-year-contract-extension-sylvia-fowles/

Quote:
The Minnesota Lynx today announced the team has signed center Sylvia Fowles to a multi-year contract extension. Per team policy, terms of the deal were not released.

“We are happy to have extended the contract of one of our team leaders and one of the best players in the WNBA,” said Lynx Executive Vice President Roger Griffith. “When we traded for Sylvia two seasons ago, we did so with the goal of winning more championships. That decision has paid off so far after she helped guide us to the 2015 WNBA Championship. Over the last three years, Sylvia has been an integral part of our success and is undoubtedly one of the elite centers in the WNBA. We are thrilled that she’s decided to continue her career with the Lynx.”

That should free up the core, if needed.

miller40

PostPosted: 09/01/17 12:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

kojthiabkuv wrote:
Kent Youngblood‏ @BloodStrib 4hours ago
Lynx have announced news conference Saturday at the fair for a "major announcement". Expected: 2018 WNBA All Star game to Target Center

awesome!

I wonder why they are announcing it so early this time around.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/06/17 11:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://m.startribune.com/whalen-will-return-to-practice-wednesday/442642093/

Quote:
After closing out the season on a 3-0 run to claim the top seed, Lynx coach Cheryl Reeve gave her players two days off. The team will return to practice Wednesday.

And, for the first time since Aug. 3, the team will be completely healthy.

Lindsay Whalen, out since then with a broken finger in her left hand, will return for the playoffs. After Sunday’s victory over Washington, Reeve talked about what she expects from Whalen when the team returns to practice.

I’ll ask her to be our starting point guard, to focus on the things we want to do,’’ Reeve said.

And here’s something else Reeve expects: Exhaustion.

I need her to push herself physically,’’ Reeve said. “I think, the first three days of practice, she needs to be exhausted. She’s working hard from a conditioning standpoint. But there is nothing like going rep after rep, playing offense hard, getting knocked down, getting and going to play defense. For three days I want her to really challenge herself.’’

Whalen missed 12 games, and the Lynx were 7-5 in those games, needing that 3-0 flourish to keep the league’s top playoff seed. Not long after Aug. 4 surgery Whalen was cleared to work out, and she has done so religiously. But there is no substitute for game action. Or for intense practice action, for that matter. And she’s been out a month.

There is ground to be made up.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/12/17 1:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Translated Zandalasini blog posting
http://lagiornatatipo.it/not-dream-anymore/
Quote:
August 22, 2017. Things to remember, those that mark you on the calendar with the indelible pencil: I'm giving birth to America. Indeed, rather than America, I give birth to my dream, that dream that has always been closed in the drawer, which I have always whispered and never said aloud.

Now the drawer is open and an air ticket comes out with a destination: Minneapolis.

My feelings at the time of departure were a mix of fear, agitation and excitement. I was going to America, at WNBA, in the team at the top of the standings, pointing to the fourth title in seven years, with a roster of players who have won everything, Olympic Games and World Cups, MVP titles and attendance at All Star Game. All this is almost over.

Just landed in Minneapolis I felt catapulted into a new world, and it all happened so fast that I did not even have time to fully realize what was happening to me. Not even one hour after the wheels of the plane had touched the American ground, I found myself on the field of the Xcel Energy Center to introduce myself to Lindsay Whalen and her companions. My new companions.

That evening he was playing against Phoenix Mercury by Diana Taurasi and Brittney Griner. After greeting all the girls and the staff, I sat down to watch the game. I did not have popcorn, but I felt like I was at the cinema: Maya Moore against Taurasi, two idols for me. And they were there before my eyes. My first night in Minneapolis has passed this way. And do you want to know what I was most concerned about? Can not post anything on my Instagram Stories: mrgreen:. Well, to complicate my first American days, it was added that until August 28 my signature with the Lynx would not be official. I had to keep, for another week, a silence that I have been wearing for a month now. Not simple, as the news was already widespread. So alas, nothing Instagram ... 😆

Seriously, my first week in the States went to a thousand. After the match against Phoenix, the team had three games in a row far from Minnesota, with stakes in San Antonio, Los Angeles and Indianapolis. Despite my status still being formalized, I join the team as wanted by coach Reeve. Empty my suitcase, I put it in my new apartment, and it's time to get on a new plane: destination San Antonio!

These first trips were an opportunity to figure out what the organization of a WNBA team is. They bring you the suitcases, they check in and give you a ticket to skip the line ... I did not think so! We arrive in San Antonio. I'm on the bus, and in the distance I see the arena where we are heading for the classic shoot-around morning. In my head I have a series of thoughts, but one prevails over all:

"AT & T Center, San Antonio, Texas!"

The voice of Flavio Quiet. He always begins with the NBA telecoms. And at that moment I came back as a baby when I woke up at night with my brother to see the playoffs. Now I was direct to the Spurs Arena for shoot-around. Absurd.

"I'm not here, you do not see me"

This is still my situation, unfortunately. I enjoy the match from the first row, behind the bench. We win, we bring home W, as it is said here. Maya explains it with 18 points in the first 14 minutes, and I'm just a few feet away from the heart.

Parentesi: surely you have all heard of the terrible hurricane that hit the city of Houston last week. The state of Texas was in total alert, and just the night we were in San Antonio was expected to arrive at this stormy storm. Well but not fine, since I was in America for only three days. When I heard the word "hurricane" I hoped to have understood badly .. and instead I understood it right. The big problem that had arisen was, then, that we were in danger of losing the flight to Los Angeles. For this, early game, 4 hour coach for Dallas and from there we go to LA, where the Sparks, our most feared rivals in the title race, await us. At that time in the standings were only two games away from us, we could not risk losing the plane!

Flavio always accompanied me. This time, the usual shoot-around is at Kobe Bryant's home, one of the most famous arenas in the world. I raise my eyes to the ceiling and see Magic and Kareem hanging, then banners with "Lakers NBA Champions".

WOW. I can not say anything else. WOW.

"I'm not here, you do not see me." Again this time, I'm behind the bench. Standing in front of me Candace Parker, sitting in courtesy nothing less than Russell Westbrook, in one of her classical outfits featured sobriety. "Do not post anything on Instagram Chick, do it!" How hard it was ...

We lose. Let's stay first though, and we can keep the top of the standings by winning the remaining three regular season games.

August 28, 2017. Ooooh, finally! I signed the contract in the morning. I'm back in the world, I do not have to hide.

I walk a little for LA, but it's time to start again. Third and final stage: Indianapolis. And this time there are really. While I'm on the plane and I'm reviewing a comfortably 100-page playbook (C-E-N-T-O, really), I think: I'm officially a WNBA player, I'm officially a Minnesota Lynx player. And I do not know yet to tell you if I had understood the whole thing. Perhaps, he helped to accomplish everything when I saw my playing uniform. My 9. The lynx symbol. The WNBA logo. The dream is real.

- "Ceci, go! You've got Maya! "

- "Whaaaat ?!"

Well, yes, coach Reeve has it with me. At the end of the first quarter, against the Indiana Fever, coming in and making a change to Maya Moore.

My heart beat me in my chest and my legs trembled. I had promised one thing: do not make three defensive seconds! It will laugh, but it was really tough. In the first training I called him every time. "Ceci, three seconds! Three seconds! "They told me. This is the first time I load a WNBA parquet, and I do not want to whistle for 3 seconds! We win the game, and ... I do not take 3 seconds!

Nice result for the team after the Staples defeat. Last plane. Come back to Minnie. Companions calm me: it's by far the most sprawling of the year, not counting the various complications. After two days, we will visit the Chicago Sky. She is my first housewife. I'm really excited and the Lynx have the best tycoon in the league. We talk about 8,000 people in the media in regular season. For a female basketball game. Unbelievable.

Within. They are in transition with the ball, I have room for my stop-and-shoot. How does my companion Seimone Augustus always say:

"Ceci, get buckets !!"

And buckets are. Basket. Two points. Really a wonderful time for me. Unforgettable.

Got bucket

We win against the Sky and also against the last Mystics championship. Series 1 head is ours. Semifinals await us, just against the Mystics of Elena Delle Donne. We were prepared for the best in Minneapolis, without leaving for a dozen days. We are ready to face them.

With the NBA season at the doors, they start to see the Timberwolves ready for the training camp. Towns, Butler, Crawford ... I still have not seen Wiggins though ...

Guys, here's a really cool one!

See you soon, Italy.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/12/17 9:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maya Moore delivering for Lynx when they need it most

http://m.startribune.com/maya-moore-delivering-for-lynx-when-they-need-it-most/443856143/

Quote:
“As a team, we wanted to create more opportunities,” Reeve said. “We didn’t think we were as balanced as we want to be. Maya was kind of on the forefront of that.”

That would be Maya Moore. Over the arc of the season Moore, the WNBA’s MVP in 2014, had been effective. But, compared with her career arc, it had been a modest year and Reeve wanted more. Or is that Moore?

Quote:
Over her past seven games Moore is averaging 20.1 points. Over the final three regular-season games — as the Lynx drove to the top playoff seed — she shot 52.3 percent overall and 56.3 on three-pointers, while averaging 3.3 rebounds, 5.0 assists and 21.3 points.

Quote:
“I think I’ve just gotten more energy, more bounce in my step, finding a nice rhythm,” Moore said. “It’s great to have that good feel. It’s the most wonderful time of the year, other than Christmas.”

myrtle

PostPosted: 09/12/17 10:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ceci like a little kid in a candy store. Refreshing!

- Amanda Gorman
root_thing

PostPosted: 09/12/17 5:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sylvia Fowles, W.N.B.A. Star and Aspiring Funeral Director

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/12/sports/basketball/wnba-sylvia-fowles-lynx.html?mcubz=1

Quote:
Fowles wanted to learn how to properly prepare the deceased, perhaps easing the grieving process for families and friends knowing that those who died were handled with care. Later in her youth, Fowles would hold pretend funeral services with her stuffed animals.

Away from practices and the Lynx’s pursuit of their fourth W.N.B.A. title, Fowles studies lessons on cremation, funeral direction and principles of embalming. Envisioning a post-basketball career in cold, silent environments that many would consider eerie, Fowles said, brings her peace.

“It is relaxing for me,” she said. “A lot of people find it weird, but that’s another place where I get my happy time. Any time I can be alone to not think about the sports world, that’s very important time. That’s when I grow a lot, to think about myself and others.”

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 15 of 16

Jump to: