RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Head Coach Extensions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
purduefanatic

PostPosted: 08/28/17 6:51 pm    ::: Head Coach Extensions Reply Reply with quote

JPM extended through 2021 by Duke:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=211663806

http://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2017/08/duke-womens-basketball-head-coach-joanne-p-mccallie-extended-through-2020-21

http://www.heraldsun.com/sports/college/acc/duke/article169844747.html

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 08/28/17 7:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder how much she makes. The articles don't say.
Shades

PostPosted: 08/28/17 10:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, baby!

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
SDHoops

PostPosted: 08/29/17 6:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Speaking of Duke and contracts, I still feel bad for how Coach G's career ended up. It was almost like she was a victim of her own success. It got to the point where losing in OT in the 2006 title game and being #1 all season and getting upset in the Sweet 16 in 2007 wasn't good enough anymore so idk if she jumped ship under her own pressure or that of others. The act that JPM hasn't even reached half of the success at Duke nor never will and gets a fat contract and extension after extension, one can only wonder what more Coach G could've done at Duke.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 08/29/17 3:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
I wonder how much she makes. The articles don't say.

As of May 2016

Athletics director Kevin White and women’s basketball coach Joanne P. McCallie both surpassed $1 million in total compensation for the first time.

McCallie was credited with nearly $1.2 million, including a more than $200,000 raise in his base pay, which was reported at $975,000.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2016/05/17/duke-coach-mike-krzyzewskis-net-pay-stays-steady-more-than-5m/84499310/

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 08/29/17 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For those who defend McCallie, they are more likely to ook at her Duke resume in a vacuum:

- Four Elite Eights in 10 years
- Three ACC Tournament titles in 10 years
- Three ACC COY honors
- 273-71 (.794) overall record while at Duke
- 121-33 (.786) conference record while at Duke

For those who look at the entire program and its history, from where it was until now, it is a VASTLY DIFFERENT story

These were the numbers as of FEBRUARY 2016, 8.5 years into McCallie's tenure at Duke, as compared with the last 7 years of the Gail Goestenkors era (I was feeling lazy and did not want to do the additional research):

Overall record:
Goestenkors: 220-25 (89.79 percent)
McCallie: 243-64 (79.15 percent)

ACC record:
Goestenkors: 98-8 (92.45 percent)
McCallie: 107-30 (78.10 percent)

Against Top 5 Opponents:
Goestenkors: 14-14 (50.00 percent)
McCallie: 7-28 (20.00 percent)

Against Top 10 Opponents:
Goestenkors: 25-14 (64.10 percent)
McCallie: 19-36 (34.545 percent)

Against Ranked Opponents:
Goestenkors: 60-20 (80.00 percent)
McCallie: 58-49 (54.21 percent)

Against UConn:
Goestenkors: 2-1 (2-2 for her career; 2-1 against UConn over her last seven years; both wins in the State of Connecticut)
McCallie: 0-8 (and only one loss was less than 22 points, and that was by 16 points)

Against Tennessee:
Goestenkors: 4-3 (5-4 for her career; 4-3 against Tennessee over her last seven years)
McCallie: 1-1

These numbers are for the last 10 years of Goestenkors vs. the ten years of McCallie at Duke:

NCAA Tournament Results:
Goestenkors: 2 national title games, 4 Final Fours, 7 Elite Eights, 10 Sweet 16s (out of 10 years)
McCallie: zero Final Fours, 4 Elite Eights, 6 Elite Eights, 3 second round losses, one year not making the tournament (out of 10 years)

And the last four years of the McCallie era? 2nd round, Sweet 16, missed tournament, 2nd round

The program has gone from being a perennial national title contender to one that has as many 2nd round losses and missed tournaments as it does Elite Eight appearances.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 08/29/17 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Glenn, see my response to your previous post regarding salary (it is before my megillah about McCallie vs. Goestenkors).

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 08/29/17 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I saw it, thanks.

Within the context of WCBB compensation, which I generally consider very excessive for a minor and almost universally money losing sport, hers doesn't look excessive given her record, even if it's not as good as GG's.

Maybe JPM can be considered the second most successful WCBB coach in Duke history.
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 08/29/17 4:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
I saw it, thanks.

Within the context of WCBB compensation, which I generally consider very excessive for a minor and almost universally money losing sport, hers doesn't look excessive given her record, even if it's not as good as GG's.

Maybe JPM can be considered the second most successful WCBB coach in Duke history.

I give the next coach 5 years to become the 2nd best coach in DWB history (unless recruiting continues to fall off even more rapidly). The sooner they get started, the better.

~rAf
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/29/17 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
I saw it, thanks.

Hard to compare directly. The ACC is significantly different today.
Goestenkors had Maryland with which to contend, but did not have Notre Dame, Syracuse, and Louisville, as well as a vastly improved, nationally ranked, FSU and Miami.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 08/29/17 4:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Yeah, baby!

There is nothing positive here for anyone who loves women's basketball. Just complete and utter disrespect for women's sports.

The only cause for celebration for anyone would be those who get some kind of sadistic pleasure when fans of a team are saddled with a mediocre (comparatively) and verbally abusive coach.

What's the sound of one hand clapping?

~rAf
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 08/29/17 5:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Goestenkors had Maryland with which to contend, but did not have Notre Dame, Syracuse, and Louisville, as well as a vastly improved, nationally ranked, FSU and Miami.

True enough, but GG also had to contend with Virginia and North Carolina back when they were still relevant.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/29/17 6:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:

True enough, but GG also had to contend with Virginia and North Carolina back when they were still relevant.

It's only been the last two years where UNC fell off the map. There's no real difference there.

And you need to go back to the turn of the century since UVA was good.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/29/17 10:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

It's only been the last two years where UNC fell off the map. There's no real difference there.

But in comparison lousiville & syracuse were not good at that time either. Notre Dame would have been an additional challenge but They were not better the GG's Duke squads.

PostPosted: 08/29/17 10:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

And GG was at Duke '92-07, through UVa's best years and UNC's best years.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 08/29/17 11:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

During Gail's tenure at Duke, UNC made multiple Final Four appearances. Maryland won a title. NC State made a Final Four. Clemson was nationally ranked.

Gail also played Tennessee regularly, when TN was still really good.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 08/30/17 2:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Gail also played Tennessee regularly, when TN was still really good.

I rarely rooted for Duke because they were a threat to UConn, but I always rooted for them against Tennessee.

I believe GG's blue dresses beat the LV's three straight from 2005-2007. They crushed the Six Pack in 2006, with the Cameron Crazies famously waving Wal-Mart shopping bags at Alexis Hornbuckle, in a game where announcer Mark Jones said, "This looks like the Globetrotters playing the Washington Generals."

The next year at Thompson-Boling Arena, the Devils steamrolled out to a 19-0 lead in front of a packed and stunned house of 19,000, including a bare chested Bruce Pearl in the Rocky Top student section. The game tightened in the second half, but GG beat the Six Pack again.

Ah, the Waner sisters. I liked Emily so much, but she never brought the magic she had in high school and at Colorado before her transfer.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 08/30/17 1:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GG wore the blue get-up in 1999 when the DeBils ended Holdsclaws collegiate career a weekend before it was preordained.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 08/30/17 2:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
GG wore the blue get-up in 1999 when the DeBils ended Holdsclaws collegiate career a weekend before it was preordained.

Gail frequently (always?) wore a blue jacket, but just to be clear, my reference to the DWB Devils as "blue dresses" was meant to invoke Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels.
PlayBally'all

PostPosted: 09/04/17 10:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Its not as though anyone forced GG to leave Duke for the lure of Texas.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: