RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2018 Team USA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 21, 22, 23  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClayK

PostPosted: 08/28/17 9:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A'ja Wilson is not as good as Breanna Stewart, so I don't think that comparison works.

But if four of the posts drop out, for whatever reason, she's got a shot.

PostPosted: 08/28/17 10:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wilson is nothing like Stewart and her position is loaded. I think both Whalen and Bird are done, but Bird is much quicker. Love C Gray, she does have Sims and Beard, Fear the Beard, love that, right next to her though.

toad455

PostPosted: 08/28/17 11:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I do hope Bird and Whalen realize it's time to pass the torch to the younger PGs now.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Speebs56

PostPosted: 08/28/17 1:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why isn't Vandersloot in the conversation for PG? She's had a solid WNBA season, once back from overseas and settled in....and she's a real PG.

Not interested in invective here - really am curious.

miller40

PostPosted: 08/28/17 1:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Speebs56 wrote:
Why isn't Vandersloot in the conversation for PG? She's had a solid WNBA season, once back from overseas and settled in....and she's a real PG.

She's Hungarian now because USAB wouldn't give her a shot. She can't play for the US anymore.

Unless your question was why USAB didn't bring her along... then I have no idea.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 08/28/17 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:
Speebs56 wrote:

She's Hungarian now because USAB wouldn't give her a shot. She can't play for the US anymore.

Unless your question was why USAB didn't bring her along... then I have no idea.

Vandersloot was brought to the USAB camps. Sorry, but she didn't beat out Bird and Whalen for the Olympics and didn't want to wait any longer.

Speebs56

PostPosted: 08/28/17 1:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ah -- ok, thanks for the insight. I knew she'd played abroad but didn't realize she'd forsaken her USA b-ball citizenship. Good to know!

Michelle89

PostPosted: 08/28/17 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
miller40 wrote:
Speebs56 wrote:

Vandersloot was brought to the USAB camps. Sorry, but she didn't beat out Bird and Whalen for the Olympics and didn't want to wait any longer.

USA where going to give the spot to Sims or Diggins before Sloot. Not because she didnt beat out Bird and Whalen

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
bballjunkie

PostPosted: 08/29/17 9:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There are no replacements up to this point. However, considering how USA plays, I can see them going with taller, longer guards, similar to how they Used DT. Cross off the gunners though, USA wants passers and high IQ players.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/29/17 10:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
Cross off the gunners though, USA wants passers and high IQ players.

Bentley is out, huh? Shucks. How about Plum? Will she be invited to camp? How can the #1 pick not get a camp invite? She doesn't seem to be making any body's depth chart. Wasserman won't be happy.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Randy

PostPosted: 08/29/17 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the most interesting question surrounding international competition is which country will nationalize Jonquel Jones. I'd be happy to give her a US passport, but I don't know if the INS works that quickly. (I may be wrong about that though.) Plus the current administration seems to not be "immigration friendly." It would be pretty interesting if she ended up with Spain or Australia - two of the traditional threats to win medals.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/29/17 11:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
I think the most interesting question surrounding international competition is which country will nationalize Jonquel Jones. I'd be happy to give her a US passport, but I don't know if the INS works that quickly. (I may be wrong about that though.) Plus the current administration seems to not be "immigration friendly." It would be pretty interesting if she ended up with Spain or Australia - two of the traditional threats to win medals.

According to awhom111, who's generally right about these things, Jones has already played for the Bahamas in international competition and therefore can't play for anyone else. I was wondering the same thing earlier in the season and expecting her to end up playing for one of the European powers.

ETA: On top of that, Tiffany Hayes - mentioned above by a couple of people as a US contender - is presumably ineligible after her appearances for Azerbaijan a couple of years ago.

PostPosted: 08/29/17 11:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

She was born in the Bahamas.

If Korea was interested in Amber Harris, I'm sure they could be interested in Jones. She played in the league last off season..... but she's moving to China next season.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/29/17 11:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Tiffany Hayes - mentioned above by a couple of people as a US contender - is presumably ineligible after her appearances for Azerbaijan a couple of years ago.

If this is true, I guess it shows how frustrating it can be waiting to move up in the US system. Azerbaijan? Confused

awhom111

PostPosted: 08/29/17 11:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well if Geno was not going to call up Tip, she probably was not planning on ever being in consideration.

Azerbaijan was a pretty smart choice for her and Aneika. They don't really have enough players to have a full 5x5 team so they basically had no obligations outside of the single 3x3 tournament. Maybe they can qualify for the Olympics in a few years. They both still get the full benefits of having a European passport without any threat of needing to do anything further to earn it. I think some players have Armenian passports, which amounts to the same thing.

Talking specifically about this camp, who do we think will be invited to make up the numbers? Since we have no idea what commitments the collegians might have, I guess we will stick to the WNBA players.

The Stars are at the bottom, so let's take a look at their roster with the assumption that all teams not making the Finals will contribute a few players each:
Kayla Alexander, Foreign
Cierra Burdick
Nia Coffey
Sydney Colson
Dearica Hamby
Isabelle Harrison
Sequoia Holmes
Moriah Jefferson, Injured
Kayla McBride
Alex Montgomery
Shay Murphy, Foreign
Kelsey Plum

McBride will presumably get invited and I would guess Plum would too. If there are enough missing players, could we see a Hamby or Harrison invite?

Also, South Korea has made lots of noise about trying to naturalize players, but they have not actually done so outside of players who chose Korean citizenship over the citizenship of their non-Korean parent. Harris did not get naturalized and neither did Aaron Haynes. Ricardo Ratliffe is supposed to get naturalized at some point, but it is not clear if that will succeed either.
Shades

PostPosted: 08/30/17 2:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
Talking specifically about this camp, who do we think will be invited to make up the numbers? Since we have no idea what commitments the collegians might have, I guess we will stick to the WNBA players.

Oh no... Wilson gets an invite.

awhom111 wrote:
If there are enough missing players, could we see a Hamby or Harrison invite?

No way.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 08/30/17 2:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For the sake of putting some experience under the belts of the youngsters and building for the future, I think Bird, Whalen, Taurasi, Augustus and Fowles should all step aside. 4 guards. For the sake of balance, I see Moore moving over to the 2. This is how I see it:

Diggins-Smith / 2 of Clarendon, C. Gray, Jefferson, McBride, Sims
Moore / Loyd
Delle Donne / McCoughtry
Parker / Stewart / N. Ogwumike
Griner / Charles

The other 3 guards, Wilson and Dolson are the top candidates as replacements.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 08/30/17 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes the top MVP candidate should step aside Rolling Eyes

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Shades

PostPosted: 08/30/17 3:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
For the sake of putting some experience under the belts of the youngsters and building for the future, I think Bird, Whalen, Taurasi, Augustus and Fowles should all step aside. 4 guards. For the sake of balance, I see Moore moving over to the 2. This is how I see it:

Diggins-Smith / 2 of Clarendon, C. Gray, Jefferson, McBride, Sims
Moore / Loyd
Delle Donne / McCoughtry
Parker / Stewart / N. Ogwumike
Griner / Charles

The other 3 guards, Wilson and Dolson are the top candidates as replacements.

There is just no way. The only way you could have a clunkier or slower starting 5 would be to start C Gray.

Maybe Maya could be a guard in the future if she were to trim down some more. She's not at that place. McCoughtry, maybe, but I'm not feeling this notion of putting players in unfamiliar positions. McBride as a PG?

And finally, what's the argument that Fowles is too old but Parker isn't? Same draft class. The PF is the overloaded position, so maybe they should take the "old" ones out of that position.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 08/30/17 3:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So you would rather sacrifice elite talent for the sake of keeping everyone in a comfortable position? Come on, these are the best and most versatile players in the WORLD, I'm not buying for a second that Moore couldn't play the 2 and excel there against international talent.

I guess I forget that Parker's getting up there in age too. Maybe she should step aside as well, open up another spot on the perimeter that way. But leaving any of the other posts off for the sake of a borderline guard just to keep everyone "comfortable" would be a mistake. They're professionals, they can handle it.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 08/30/17 4:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
So you would rather sacrifice elite talent for the sake of keeping everyone in a comfortable position? Come on, these are the best and most versatile players in the WORLD, I'm not buying for a second that Moore couldn't play the 2 and excel there against international talent.

I guess I forget that Parker's getting up there in age too. Maybe she should step aside as well, open up another spot on the perimeter that way. But leaving any of the other posts off for the sake of a borderline guard just to keep everyone "comfortable" would be a mistake. They're professionals, they can handle it.

Have you seen Maya's ball handling skills or lack there off? But i do agree with you that team USA would still crush teams even if some players play out of position.

awhom111

PostPosted: 08/31/17 8:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
awhom111 wrote:

Oh no... Wilson gets an invite.

awhom111 wrote:
If there are enough missing players, could we see a Hamby or Harrison invite?

No way.

I meant that we have no way of knowing which collegians would have to decline an invite if they got one. There will almost certainly be multiple at camp. Here was the corresponding camp roster in 2013:
https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2013/09/thirteen-usa-national-team-gold-medal-veterans-headline-talented-2013-usa-basketball-womens-national.aspx

I think I have the Fever's injury situation right:
Natalie Achonwa, Foreign
Marissa Coleman
Candice Dupree
Jazmon Gwathmey, Reserve
Jennifer Hamson
Briann January, Injured
Shenise Johnson, Injured
Erlana Larkins
Erica McCall
Tiffany Mitchell, Injured
Jeanette Pohlen
Jennie Simms
Erica Wheeler

I put Reserve by Gwathmey to note that it would be great if she played for Puerto Rico. Obviously, USA Basketball would not call her, but I was frustrated that they put Victor Oladipo and Devin Booker on the men's select team instead of snubbing them and forcing them to choose Nigeria and Puerto Rico respectively.

I would bet that Staley would not mind having Dupree around in camp, but since a roster spot would be out of the question, I do not think she could drag her away from family time.
toad455

PostPosted: 08/31/17 8:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Invites? Well my 30 invites would be:

B. Stewart
S. Bird
J. Loyd
C. Parker
N. Ogwumike
C. Gray
D. Taurasi
B. Griner
K. McBride
M. Jefferson
K. Plum
L. Whalen
S. Augustus
M. Moore
S. Fowles
S. Diggins
G. Johnson
A. Gray
S. Dolson
T. Mitchell
A. McCoughtry
E. Williams
E. Delle Donne
T. Charles
J. Thomas
A. Thomas
A. Wilson
G. Williams
D. DeShields
K. Mitchell

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
bballjunkie

PostPosted: 09/01/17 8:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jefferson is injured.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/01/17 8:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's the thing, toad. You seem to want to go younger, but you're still inviting Bird, Whalen, and Taurasi to camp. That doesn't make any sense to me. If the directive is to go younger, then don't invite them. Let them know ahead of time that it's time to go younger. Don't invite them to camp and insult them by cutting them. If they get invited, they're going to be the savviest players out there. They're old but they don't have to carry the load on this team. If they want to be there and they get invited to be there, how you gonna cut them?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 2 of 23

Jump to: