RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New TIX lawsuit filed against Baylor on 8-21-17
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
linkster

PostPosted: 08/22/17 3:40 pm    ::: New TIX lawsuit filed against Baylor on 8-21-17 Reply Reply with quote

The article speaks for itself.

http://www.wacotrib.com/news/courts_and_trials/new-title-ix-lawsuit-against-baylor-alleges-failures-after-implementation/article_2d2dea4d-56d8-5489-ac16-34f022945c45.html

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 08/23/17 12:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Man, it just never ends down there...smh

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 08/23/17 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some crazy ish going on.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 08/23/17 4:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The problem is that the foxes are guarding the henhouse. It's naive to expect a police force and administrators who get their paychecks from Baylor have any vested interest in investigating and adjudicating cases which will shed bad light on the school, and to have this cloaked in Title IX rhetoric is ridiculous when it's a matter of criminal law. All of these cases need to be turned over to either the state police or federal investigators.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 08/24/17 10:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When will people think it is finally OK to ask why Kim Mulkey - who could have pretty much any open job she wanted - continues to work to support this evil organization?

summertime blues

PostPosted: 08/24/17 2:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
When will people think it is finally OK to ask why Kim Mulkey - who could have pretty much any open job she wanted - continues to work to support this evil organization?

I've been asking that ever since the whole story broke. How can she justify recruiting young women into this evil place? I guess it's like the line in the song--"There is none so blind as (s)he who will not see." Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: 08/24/17 3:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

KMR has already answered this. Remember her campaign rally where she said that if someone said they wouldn't send their daughter to Baylor, "you knock them right in the face."

Or what about “I’m just tired of hearing it,” she said. “I’m tired of people talking on it on a national scale that don’t know what they’re talking about. If they didn’t sit in those meetings and they weren’t a part of the investigation, you’re repeating things that you’ve heard. It’s over. It’s done, and this is a great institution, and I would send my daughter here, and I’d pay for anybody else’s daughter to come here.

“I work here every day. I’m in the know, and I’m tired of hearing it. This is a great institution. The problems we have at Baylor are no different than the problems at any other school in America, period. Move on. Find another story to write.”

Those are not the words of a coach who is contrite about her University.

willtalk

PostPosted: 08/24/17 3:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you are confused about why she stays at Baylor, it means you don't know Kim Mulkey. Look at her history and attitude. Oh and she is not that good of a coach;

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 08/24/17 7:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

a fine christian university

PostPosted: 08/24/17 8:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
KMR has already answered this. Remember her campaign rally where she said that if someone said they wouldn't send their daughter to Baylor, "you knock them right in the face."

Or what about “I’m just tired of hearing it,” she said. “I’m tired of people talking on it on a national scale that don’t know what they’re talking about. If they didn’t sit in those meetings and they weren’t a part of the investigation, you’re repeating things that you’ve heard. It’s over. It’s done, and this is a great institution, and I would send my daughter here, and I’d pay for anybody else’s daughter to come here.

“I work here every day. I’m in the know, and I’m tired of hearing it. This is a great institution. The problems we have at Baylor are no different than the problems at any other school in America, period. Move on. Find another story to write.”

I do agree with the highlighted part. It's naive to think other schools don't try to sweep sexual assaults under the rug to avoid tarnishing their image and shock donors. One big difference, though, is that Baylor has its own police force in charge of the criminal investigations.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/24/17 8:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
LitePal wrote:

I do agree with the highlighted part. It's naive to think other schools don't try to sweep sexual assaults under the rug to avoid tarnishing their image and shock donors. One big difference, though, is that Baylor has its own police force in charge of the criminal investigations.

That's such bullshit.

The standard whine "Waaaaah.... everybody's picking on us. Everybody else does it too. Everybody else is just as bad."

No. No they're not. Everybody else does NOT do it too. Everybody else is NOT just as bad.

This is an enormous, long-standing, huge scale systemic problem at Baylor that permeates the entire organization clear to the highest reaches of the executive suite. That some other schools might have an isolated incident once every ten years does not put them even close to being in the same league as Baylor or even begin to support the nonsense that Baylor is "no different."

Baylor is all by itself at the top of the mountain as a total disgrace. Nobody's just "moving on" regardless of how little Kim cares about the victims, is " tired of hearing it", and wishes it would just all go away.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 08/24/17 9:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
LitePal wrote:

That's such bullshit.

The standard whine "Waaaaah.... everybody's picking on us. Everybody else does it too. Everybody else is just as bad."

No. No they're not. Everybody else does NOT do it too. Everybody else is NOT just as bad.

This is an enormous, long-standing, huge scale systemic problem at Baylor that permeates the entire organization clear to the highest reaches of the executive suite. That some other schools might have an isolated incident once every ten years does not put them even close to being in the same league as Baylor or even begin to support the nonsense that Baylor is "no different."

Baylor is all by itself at the top of the mountain as a total disgrace. Nobody's just "moving on" regardless of how little Kim cares about the victims, is " tired of hearing it", and wishes it would just all go away.

Well, for once we're on the same page Art.. The place is a damn disgrace. My grandchildren have been informed by their mothers that it is off the table for consideration as a college, athletically or scholastically. There's only one other one in that category right now.

PostPosted: 08/24/17 9:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Baylor is all by itself at the top of the mountain as a total disgrace.

Oh, myy. The Bullshit is flying now. Rolling Eyes Good Christian Institutions hold lots of s'prisez.

Here's some interesting Food For Thought, for all of you'ns that feel the need to hate on Baylor and/or Kim:
Quote:
Campus Sexual assault-
􀁹 One in 5 women and one in 16 men are sexually assaulted while in college (i).
􀁹 More than 90% of sexual assault victims on college campuses do not report the assault (c)
􀁹 63.3% of men at one university who self-reported acts qualifying as rape or attempted rape admitted to committing repeat rapes (j)

Crime reports-
􀁹 Rape is the most under-reported crime; 63% of sexual assaults are not reported to police (o).
Only 12% of child sexual abuse is reported to the authorities (g).

This is NOT Baylor's problem alone. They are not unique. Many of you are showing how your bias takes you all the way down the primrose path of condemnation. Hate is so ugly, isn't it? Don't be part of it.

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 08/24/17 10:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
LitePal wrote:

That's such bullshit.

Well, for once we're on the same page Art.. The place is a damn disgrace. My grandchildren have been informed by their mothers that it is off the table for consideration as a college, athletically or scholastically. There's only one other one in that category right now.

do tell!

PostPosted: 08/25/17 9:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

Here's some interesting Food For Thought, for all of you'ns that feel the need to hate on Baylor and/or Kim:
Quote:
Campus Sexual assault-
􀁹 One in 5 women and one in 16 men are sexually assaulted while in college (i).
􀁹 More than 90% of sexual assault victims on college campuses do not report the assault (c)
􀁹 63.3% of men at one university who self-reported acts qualifying as rape or attempted rape admitted to committing repeat rapes (j)

Crime reports-
􀁹 Rape is the most under-reported crime; 63% of sexual assaults are not reported to police (o).
Only 12% of child sexual abuse is reported to the authorities (g).

This is NOT Baylor's problem alone. They are not unique. Many of you are showing how your bias takes you all the way down the primrose path of condemnation. Hate is so ugly, isn't it? Don't be part of it.

I don't think anyone is saying that this is isolated to Baylor alone. Unfortunately, there are these types of things occurring all across the country. However, the big difference here is that these crimes have actually been reported to Baylor reps and yet nothing is changing. It's pretty hard to hold other schools/cities/states/etc accountable if these crimes aren't reported, which you clearly showed how few actually are. It's very disheartening when these victims actually do come forward yet nothing really seems to be done to stop the same events happening in the future. That appears to be the case at Baylor.

ClayK

PostPosted: 08/25/17 11:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Every city has crime -- some cities have more crime than others. Some cities have corrupt and inefficient police departments. Some do the best job they can with the tools at their command.

Baylor football was a disgrace under Art Briles -- to say that, oh, Cal is just as bad is simply ridiculous. Sure every Power 5 program bends the rules here and there, just as there's crime in every city, but please ...

And Baylor's official policy against lesbians is an affront to women's basketball. Kim Mulkey clearly doesn't care about that blatant hypocrisy, and that's her choice, but, again, to put Baylor in the same category as the other Power 5 schools is simply willful ignorance.

If there is one school that epitomizes the hypocrisy and corruption of college athletics, it is Baylor ... and that's saying something, considering the competition.

PostPosted: 08/25/17 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
LitePal wrote:

That's such bullshit.

do tell!

The other one is, sad to say, MTSU (Middle Tennessee State). It has mostly to do with the climate of racism in the city of Murfreesboro as all of my grandchildren except the oldest who is of different parentage (my son's child) are multiracial. However, there is also a certain climate on campus that my daughter doesn't want her kids exposed to.

PostPosted: 08/25/17 12:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Every city has crime -- some cities have more crime than others. Some cities have corrupt and inefficient police departments. Some do the best job they can with the tools at their command.

Baylor football was a disgrace under Art Briles -- to say that, oh, Cal is just as bad is simply ridiculous. Sure every Power 5 program bends the rules here and there, just as there's crime in every city, but please ...

And Baylor's official policy against lesbians is an affront to women's basketball. Kim Mulkey clearly doesn't care about that blatant hypocrisy, and that's her choice, but, again, to put Baylor in the same category as the other Power 5 schools is simply willful ignorance.

If there is one school that epitomizes the hypocrisy and corruption of college athletics, it is Baylor ... and that's saying something, considering the competition.

^^^^ THIS^^^^^^

PostPosted: 08/25/17 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Exactly. For some reason the women's basketball community has been oh so happy to ignore the policies about lesbians. Go back to that Emily Neiman article from several years ago. Listen to the things Brittany Griner has said about it.

Now, the women's basketball community seems to willing to overlook the institution's active role in hiding and enabling sexual assault.

Kim Mulkey's choice to participate in and support these practices should make her a pariah in the women's basketball community. For the life of me, I will never understand the way people have continued to look the other way.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 08/25/17 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I stand by what I said earlier, you've naive if you think sexual assaults and schools' refusal to deal with them appropriately doesn't happen elsewhere.

Harvard: rapes on the increase, Title IX office ineffective
http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2015/10/2/reported-rapes-nearly-doubles/
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/harvard-sexual-assault-lawsuit_us_56c3da31e4b0c3c55053232e

Brigham Young: rape victims who faced honor code violations for premarital sex unless they declined Title IX investigations were finally given amnesty 2 months ago.
http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/29/health/brigham-young-university-rape/index.html
http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/24/us/brigham-young-university-rape-amnesty-policy/index.html

Davidson: high number of sexual assault cases, victims have to bypass school and go to town police to get action
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/crime/article131771859.html

Vanderbilt: Despite 3 court convictions of rapists who videotaped the rape, the school is still in denial they have a problem and is facing charges they discourage reporting of sexual assaults.
https://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/29/us/vanderbilt-rape-trial-didnt-stir-students-on-campus.html?action=click&contentCollection=U.S.&module=RelatedCoverage&region=EndOfArticle&pgtype=article

On and on and on, it doesn't matter where you look. Four schools randomly selected and look what google found for me, and I know my own alma mater has had the same problems. Baylor may be an outlier with an enormous, egregious number of sexual assaults, but the pattern of assault and minimal response or outright coverups by the school is nationwide.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 08/25/17 4:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
I stand by what I said earlier, you've naive if you think sexual assaults and schools' refusal to deal with them appropriately doesn't happen elsewhere.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/harvard-sexual-assault-lawsuit_us_56c3da31e4b0c3c55053232e

Brigham Young: rape victims who faced honor code violations for premarital sex unless they declined Title IX investigations were finally given amnesty 2 months ago.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/24/us/brigham-young-university-rape-amnesty-policy/index.html

Davidson: high number of sexual assault cases, victims have to bypass school and go to town police to get action

Vanderbilt: Despite 3 court convictions of rapists who videotaped the rape, the school is still in denial they have a problem and is facing charges they discourage reporting of sexual assaults.
https://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/29/us/vanderbilt-rape-trial-didnt-stir-students-on-campus.html?action=click&contentCollection=U.S.&module=RelatedCoverage&region=EndOfArticle&pgtype=article

On and on and on, it doesn't matter where you look. Four schools randomly selected and look what google found for me, and I know my own alma mater has had the same problems. Baylor may be an outlier with an enormous, egregious number of sexual assaults, but the pattern of assault and minimal response or outright coverups by the school is nationwide.

Has anyone said that it isn't an issue around the country? Because I certainly haven't interpreted any poster comments to indicate they think sexual assaults are only happening at Baylor. Pretty sure we are all very much aware of the issue and understand that it is happening all over the country and actually all over the world.

Seems to me, again, that Baylor (and the athletic department) appears to be behaving like an ostrich and sticking their collective heads in the sand. At least the Vanderbilt article refers to former student-athletes (football players).

Howee

PostPosted: 08/25/17 5:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Clay, I make every concession to your far more vast knowledge of the scholastic/athletic 'scene'. I. Don't. Know. Baylor. I have never been there, nor do I know anyone from there.

However, to say "one school that epitomizes the hypocrisy and corruption of college athletics....is Baylor" also epitomizes how The Public can be led and manipulated by The Media to believe Who/What is "The Very Worst" at anything.

Who here HAS been to Baylor, or has a close acquaintance that has been there and experienced the terrible things we read of?

I have no reason to believe that the reports are false OR true as stated. AND Baylor deserves their condemnation, if true. But I still say it's a slippery slope to single them out as deserving of ALL the hatred, etc.

Kim? Despite her connections to this, she HAS had positive impact on the game we love. Should she adopt a more militant stance against the wrongs? I'd hope so, but I cannot judge her position, either....certainly not as long as she is not directly implicated as a perpetrator of the misdeeds or their cover-ups.

My entire point here is simple: Don't shy away from discussion and sharing of news here, but does it have to be so utterly condemning, or focused on one individual? The Hate Bandwagon is alluring.

PostPosted: 08/25/17 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

Has anyone said that it isn't an issue around the country? Because I certainly haven't interpreted any poster comments to indicate they think sexual assaults are only happening at Baylor. Pretty sure we are all very much aware of the issue and understand that it is happening all over the country and actually all over the world.

Seems to me, again, that Baylor (and the athletic department) appears to be behaving like an ostrich and sticking their collective heads in the sand. At least the Vanderbilt article refers to former student-athletes (football players).

Uhh, yeah. The specific word used was "Bullshit."

ClayK

PostPosted: 08/25/17 5:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Clay, I make every concession to your far more vast knowledge of the scholastic/athletic 'scene'. I. Don't. Know. Baylor. I have never been there, nor do I know anyone from there.

However, to say "one school that epitomizes the hypocrisy and corruption of college athletics....is Baylor" also epitomizes how The Public can be led and manipulated by The Media to believe Who/What is "The Very Worst" at anything.

Who here HAS been to Baylor, or has a close acquaintance that has been there and experienced the terrible things we read of?

I have no reason to believe that the reports are false OR true as stated. AND Baylor deserves their condemnation, if true. But I still say it's a slippery slope to single them out as deserving of ALL the hatred, etc.

Kim? Despite her connections to this, she HAS had positive impact on the game we love. Should she adopt a more militant stance against the wrongs? I'd hope so, but I cannot judge her position, either....certainly not as long as she is not directly implicated as a perpetrator of the misdeeds or their cover-ups.

My entire point here is simple: Don't shy away from discussion and sharing of news here, but does it have to be so utterly condemning, or focused on one individual? The Hate Bandwagon is alluring.

Good points ... and I have never been to Waco. (Nor do I have any plans to do so, despite Chip and Joanna.)

But for the moment, let's just assume that the publicity, good or bad, surrounding Power 5 schools is pretty much equal. That is to say, if the good is overblown and the bad swept under the rug at School A, Schools B-ZZZ receive the same treatment.

Now, Baylor is the big cheese in a small town, so my experience suggests that Baylor's local press is somewhat more fawning than usual. And Baylor is a private school, so its records are harder to access.

But again, let's say Baylor is getting the same media scrutiny as Cal or Nebraska or Michigan State.

Baylor is a lot worse. Baylor's list of reported infractions is unassaillably one of the worst in the NCAA.

And how many universities prohibit certain kinds of sexual behavior as part of their institutional rules, and consider them sinful?

SEC football is basically a professional sport, and many up-and-comer mid-majors will recruit some bad apples and never make them go to class. Some schools have very homophobic campus cultures too.

But nobody has done what Baylor has done, and what Baylor continues to do. To say that oh, Harvard has a problem with sexual activity is undeniably true, but there are murders in every major city in the country -- it's just that Chicago has a lot more of them. So is Chicago then the same as a city with half the murder rate? Are Harvard or the other schools you cite at the same level as Baylor? Does their football coach say, when told of a female student's accusations, something along the lines of "She's hanging with some bad dudes" -- and be referring to players he recruited?

To solve a problem, one must first admit there's a problem. Baylor has two huge problems, and seems determined not to deal with either one.

Disgusting ...

PostPosted: 08/25/17 5:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Schools could stop playing them Shocked

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: