RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Tennessee freshman
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jlcarter

PostPosted: 08/23/17 2:13 pm    ::: Tennessee freshman Reply Reply with quote

Which of the fantastic four will have the best year?

myrtle

PostPosted: 08/23/17 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've been intrigued by the big with the funny name starts with K. Can I call her KushKush? I'm too lazy to go look up her real name. She's in a good developmental situation where she can play behind Russell so not so much pressure on her immediately.

- Amanda Gorman
Jlcarter

PostPosted: 08/23/17 4:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Its Kasiyahna Kushkituah yes I agree she won't have as much pressure on her. I think Hayes and Westbrook will have the most pressure.
Rennia Davis from what I have heard. Is drawing comparisons on her athletic ability with Holdsclaw.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FoTSh8m-yek?ecver=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ladyvol777

PostPosted: 08/23/17 4:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I've been intrigued by the big with the funny name starts with K. Can I call her KushKush? I'm too lazy to go look up her real name. She's in a good developmental situation where she can play behind Russell so not so much pressure on her immediately.

I would vote for Anastasia Hayes or Rennia Davis over Kasiyahna Kushkituah

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 08/23/17 4:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Westbrook will have the best freshman year, or at least she'll have the opportunity to do so as the likely starting PG, but I think Davis will be the best of the bunch by the time she graduates. KK may well become the most improved.

Jlcarter

PostPosted: 08/24/17 10:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am starting to think Hayes. Here's what her HS coach said
"Anastasia Hayes is the most explosive guard I’ve had the privilege to coach,” said Riverdale High head coach Randy Coffman. “Her court vision is unmatched and her game always elevates when times are the toughest.”

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/24/17 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rennia Davis will be the next Big thing in Knoxville !

PostPosted: 08/24/17 2:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

Kasiyanah (Kasi) Kushkituah--last name pronounced Kush-KIT-wah--is, I believe, already known as "KK", so you can call her that. I suspect, like a lot of big girls, she may take a year or two. Meanwhile, she has Mercedes and Cheridene Green a head of her, so Tennessee can relax a little while she develops. And they hope Rennia Davis is coming in behind her.

PostPosted: 08/25/17 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Kushkituah needs to develop her game so more before she's a solid contributor to Tennessee.. plus the Lady Vols have solid depth at the PF/C positions.

Based on need, I'm going to say that Hayes will be a big time contributor to Tennessee this year. She's basically the only true point guard on the roster (note: I said point guard, not ball handler.. Tennessee has enough of those)..

I think Davis is ready for the SEC though and I can see her factoring in on day 1.. or at least by the time of conference play.

Jlcarter

PostPosted: 08/25/17 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the Westbrook and Hayes duo will be exciting to watch.

linkster

PostPosted: 08/25/17 1:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I haven't seen a team with more ?'s in my memory. Tenn has 2 seniors who could both end up on AA lists but the third player with respect to experience is junior Meme Jackson who averaged 4.7 pts and 1.5 as in 25 min/gm last season. The rest of the returning players have virtually no experience.

Unlike the 4 freshmen at UConn, the LV freshmen will have to play extended minutes from day one. I would expect to see a lot of pressing and ball pressure. Tenn generated a lot of their offense off turnovers in the past. The trouble with that is that they haven't the depth.

I expect that one or 2 of the freshmen will score a lot of points out of the gate and that their overall talent will make up for their lack of experience against most of the early opponents, but that when they start facing elite teams they will be exploited.

Tenn has a choice, playing Russell and Nared long minutes and wearing them out or playing their freshmen long minutes and watching them bounce off the freshman wall.

So many if's with this team. Some LV fans expect all the heavenly bodies to align and by March seeing the LV's up in the elite level. We've had our eclipse. Two in one year? Unlikely.

Last edited by linkster on 08/25/17 3:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jlcarter

PostPosted: 08/25/17 1:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One thing about the freshman. After the first couple of months of play. These freshman should be playing better than in November.
Tennessee has had some good play from freshman before. Players like Simmons, Holdsclaw, and Catchings.

Last edited by Jlcarter on 08/25/17 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
pilight

PostPosted: 08/25/17 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jlcarter wrote:
One thing about the freshman. After the first couple of months of play. These freshman should be playing better than in November.

That will depend on the quality of coaching they get

PostPosted: 08/25/17 1:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Jlcarter wrote:

That will depend on the quality of coaching they get

Coaching is part of it. Also working on thier game getting extra shots and stuff.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 08/25/17 1:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
I haven't seen a team with more ?'s in my memory. Tenn has 2 seniors who could both end up on AA lists but the third player with respect to experience is junior Meme Jackson who averaged 4.7 pts and 1.5 as in 25 min/gm last season. The rest of the returning players have virtually no experience....

I think you're a little too quick to discount Cheridene Green. Yes, she is new to the team, but she's not inexperienced. I rather think the team's success will hinge a great deal on her play.

linkster

PostPosted: 08/25/17 3:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
linkster wrote:
I haven't seen a team with more ?'s in my memory. Tenn has 2 seniors who could both end up on AA lists but the third player with respect to experience is junior Meme Jackson who averaged 4.7 pts and 1.5 as in 25 min/gm last season. The rest of the returning players have virtually no experience....

I think you're a little too quick to discount Cheridene Green. Yes, she is new to the team, but she's not inexperienced. I rather think the team's success will hinge a great deal on her play.

You are right. But being a JC AA is a lot different from facing the posts she will see in D1. She may well prove to be a great player but at this point she is just another?. If the success of the LV's hinges a great deal on her then it's fair to say that that success is on thin ice. Not only is she inexperienced at the D1 level but she is also coming off knee surgery.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/25/17 3:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Raises an interesting question. How many JC stars have turned into true stars at the next level.

Bulgak was all everything at Trinity Valley CC, and was very good at FSU, but not superstar caliber. She was the first one to come to mind.

Jlcarter

PostPosted: 08/25/17 3:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Raises an interesting question. How many JC stars have turned into true stars at the next level.

Bulgak was all everything at Trinity Valley CC, and was very good at FSU, but not superstar caliber. She was the first one to come to mind.

Shannon Bobbitt.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/25/17 3:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

Bobbitt got herself a ticket to the WNBA from Juco .

PostPosted: 08/25/17 3:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Raises an interesting question. How many JC stars have turned into true stars at the next level

Sheryl Swoopes

PostPosted: 08/25/17 4:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Swoopes was 20 years ago. If you need to go back 20 years to find a good example, it sort of manifests how rare it is.

Bobbit had the good fortune to play with Candace Parker, but she wasn't an All American or anything herself.

#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 08/25/17 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

Danielle Adams won a NCAA championship, upsetting Stanford and ND along the way.

on the topic at hand, I think Westbrook, will be good from day one and a leader on the team,maybe even the lead guard. Davis looks good, but I think she is more of a four and will be playing behind Jamie.
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/25/17 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Adams is a very good example.

pilight

PostPosted: 08/25/17 4:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Swoopes was 20 years ago. If you need to go back 20 years to find a good example, it sort of manifests how rare it is.

Bobbit had the good fortune to play with Candace Parker, but she wasn't an All American or anything herself.

The JUCO route is less popular than it once was, thanks to relaxed rules on transfers and academic eligibility. I think Sancho Lyttle and Evelyn Akhator are the only current WNBA players to start at a JUCO.

PostPosted: 08/25/17 5:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

The JUCO route is less popular than it once was, thanks to relaxed rules on transfers and academic eligibility. I think Sancho Lyttle and Evelyn Akhator are the only current WNBA players to start at a JUCO.

I agree with you. My comments were prompted by this exchange.

linkster wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

You are right. But being a JC AA is a lot different from facing the posts she will see in D1. She may well prove to be a great player but at this point she is just another?.

I tend to agree with Linkster. In part for the reason you mention about the declining popularity of the JC route, it's a long shot that a Juco transfer is going to turn out to be a huge contributor. Just doesn't happen very often these days, even among Juco stars. It is a lot different than big time Div I.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: