Sky
45%
 45%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 20

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/22/17 8:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
When Leslie was playing with the Sparks she had her share of Haters. I believe it's the Sparks uniform that brings out this venom. Very Happy

With Leslie is was probably her arrogance and her use of her elbows from time to time Laughing

With Parker its probably because she just doesnt bother to play defense or box out, sometimes just checks out of games and likes to whine and pout like a little child to the refs. A lot of similar negatives as Taurasi who has a lot of haters herself.

Im almost to the point where im thinking of adding Maya too this list herself. This season has been the most ive ever seen her complain to the refs . Although she does snap out of it and goes to the next play its obviously effecting her mental state during the games . Shes not the belligerent reactor type more so the Smarty pants who makes a statement using a question !

PostPosted: 08/22/17 9:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
When Leslie was playing with the Sparks she had her share of Haters. I believe it's the Sparks uniform that brings out this venom. Very Happy

With Leslie is was probably her arrogance and her use of her elbows from time to time Laughing

With Parker its probably because she just doesnt bother to play defense or box out, sometimes just checks out of games and likes to whine and pout like a little child to the refs. A lot of similar negatives as Taurasi who has a lot of haters herself.

My response to all the haters is that no person on this planet is perfect. He who is without sin may throw the first stone. Cool

PostPosted: 08/22/17 9:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

My response to all the haters is that no person on this planet is perfect. He who is without sin may throw the first stone. Cool

Don't you know that many people feel they are sinless? Laughing

I am both a Sparks and Lakers fan and in the past I have gotten disgusted with two of my favorite players, Kobe and Candace, over their arguing with refs. My feeling then and now is: if one bitches too much you become quickly disliked by the refs, and they may choose to tune you out when you have a legitimate beef - sort of like the boy who cried "Wolf!"

I gave it up later on because that's simply just who those players are when they play. Both are notoriously very private persons off the court, but on the hardwood they wear their hearts very openly on their sleeves. Now if the bitching actually affected their play very adversely it would be worst. However, that doesn't often seem to be the case. I know Kobe loved! to play before hostile crowds as the cascade of boo's actually energized him. In fact, he often played better away than he did at home. Ace got tossed a couple times earlier in her career for her aggressive tongue, and now she seems to know when to cool it with the refs. As long as she doesn't adversely affect her teammates, I am fine with it for the most part if she occasionally feels a calling for some on court preaching to the refs - the gospel according to Candace. Very Happy

PostPosted: 08/22/17 9:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Libra_Girl wrote:

Rewatching the game and you're right the 3 that sent the game to ot Dolson was wide open for that. Parker had to stay with Allie and Sims didn't get to Steph on time but even if she did Dolson could have still shot over her cause she is taller than Sims. Parker could have got to Sloot on the drive to make the pass difficult with Gray right there to double. It wouldn't have be easy for Sloot to make a pass with both Gray and Parker on her.

I had also considered that myself, but if Sims had stayed with Dolson instead of continuing to chase Allie she could have intersected the passing lane between Sloot and Dolson. The thing is that Sims had lost Allie long before she even got to Dolson who was trying to set an unnecessary pick on her. As Clay mentioned in his evaluation of Sims, she really doesn't even play good
man to man defense. Her quickness fools people.

As I stated she made two defensive errors that allowed Allie to get free before the switch even came into play. The first was playing her too close. The second losing focus on her man (she was watching the Vandersloot driving around the picks. Allie reversed her direction leaving Sims running away from her. She had and should have realized that she had totally lost her man and stayed with Dolson. To at least cut off the passing lane or not allow her such an open shot. If worse came to worse she could have fouled her as she received the pass and not in the act of shooting.

As to Parker doubling Quigley. Not a good idea. To begin with she was too far away from her to actually do an effective double. Second you are dealing with Vandersloot who is at least one of the best points in the world. I dont think you are going to put her in a position where she doesn't make that pass. You just done leave Quigley open ever. --this year at least.

Clay explained Sims defensive liabilities very well. Just in the last bunch of games she has received more than one 3 pt shooting foul call against her. This is because she does not rotate quickly enough and runs into the shooter attempting to recover her mistake using her speed. I have also noticed the same thing in respect to fast players coming out of high school, They often have used their athleticism to compensate for defensive errors and at that level have gotten away with not developing better technique. When they get to the next level their weaknesses are exposed. The same also applies to their offense.

I mentioned in my post that I felt that both those errors were sort of due to a lack of court spacing recognition. ( not really the proper terms ). I wonder if that aspect of the game can really be learned. That ability is what separates the good from the elite. It allows them to think moves ahead of their next pass. They not only can recognize the open player but the player who is in the best position to get an assist with the next pass. Good QB also have that ability. To see the entire playing field or court and play the game like a chess master.

Last edited by willtalk on 08/22/17 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total
jap

PostPosted: 08/22/17 9:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
I mentioned in my post that I felt that both those errors were sort of due to a lack of court spacing recognition. ( not really the proper terms ). I wonder if that aspect of the game can really be learned. That ability is what separates the good from the elite. It allows them to think moves ahead of their next pass. They not only can recognize the open player but the player who is in the best position to get an assist with the next pass. Good QB also have that ability. To see the entire playing field or court and play the game like a chess master.

We may have to have Alana employ the Vulcan Mind Touch to educate Odyssey and other teammates. Razz

PostPosted: 08/22/17 12:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's interesting ... the ability to sense the whole court is not innate, though it comes more easily to some than others. For me, I was in my late 20s when things clicked and I was suddenly aware of where all ten players were (at least most of the time). I think it's more experience than any teaching, though it doesn't hurt to be reminded (often many times) that defense is not me vs. you but us vs. them.

I'm really trying to instill that concept in our high school team, but it's very slow going. Some kids pick it up, and others just don't quite get it.

PostPosted: 08/22/17 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
it doesn't hurt to be reminded (often many times) that defense is not me vs. you but us vs. them.

True of offense as well, and probably forgotten by players even more often.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 08/22/17 1:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WfanFrJmp wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
adamj95 wrote:
#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
i really like this male commentator but him saying that Parkers defense along with her offense makes her an MVP candidate is just hilarious Laughing Laughing

If Parker keeps playing this good, I think she’ll get some votes for MVP

I'm sorry but no way is Parker worthy of any MVP votes.

You really have something personal against the Gal. Every time a poster shows her credit or gives her an inch of positive remarks it never fails with your response saying how bad she is or what she doesn't deserve. Rolling Eyes

It really is odd for many reasons, especially since year after year, she is one of few players whose stats highlight her as one of the most versatile players we've ever had in the league. A number of players have led in scoring, rebounding etc. but she is that rare player who even at this very moment ranks top 10 in all 5 primary statistical categories. She is not perfect...none of them are and may not have the "hop" she once had (year-round play, age and injuries do that to you) but she is darn good at a lot of things.

Btw, we were wondering if the number of dbl-dbls in the past game was a record, well according to Coach Agler, I think we at least got part of our answer: https://twitter.com/brian_agler/status/899737478814351361

Parker is the Sparks' most versatile player. I don't know why but it seems the one thing that get overlooked on this board is passing and ball movement. Yet in women's basketball particularly it's probably the most important skill. Look at Minnesota's struggles without Whalen as evidence of that.

PostPosted: 08/22/17 7:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
Libra_Girl wrote:

Rewatching the game and you're right the 3 that sent the game to ot Dolson was wide open for that. Parker had to stay with Allie and Sims didn't get to Steph on time but even if she did Dolson could have still shot over her cause she is taller than Sims. Parker could have got to Sloot on the drive to make the pass difficult with Gray right there to double. It wouldn't have be easy for Sloot to make a pass with both Gray and Parker on her.

I had also considered that myself, but if Sims had stayed with Dolson instead of continuing to chase Allie she could have intersected the passing lane between Sloot and Dolson. The thing is that Sims had lost Allie long before she even got to Dolson who was trying to set an unnecessary pick on her. As Clay mentioned in his evaluation of Sims, she really doesn't even play good
man to man defense. Her quickness fools people.

As I stated she made two defensive errors that allowed Allie to get free before the switch even came into play. The first was playing her too close. The second losing focus on her man (she was watching the Vandersloot driving around the picks. Allie reversed her direction leaving Sims running away from her. She had and should have realized that she had totally lost her man and stayed with Dolson. To at least cut off the passing lane or not allow her such an open shot. If worse came to worse she could have fouled her as she received the pass and not in the act of shooting.

As to Parker doubling Quigley. Not a good idea. To begin with she was too far away from her to actually do an effective double. Second you are dealing with Vandersloot who is at least one of the best points in the world. I dont think you are going to put her in a position where she doesn't make that pass. You just done leave Quigley open ever. --this year at least.

Clay explained Sims defensive liabilities very well. Just in the last bunch of games she has received more than one 3 pt shooting foul call against her. This is because she does not rotate quickly enough and runs into the shooter attempting to recover her mistake using her speed. I have also noticed the same thing in respect to fast players coming out of high school, They often have used their athleticism to compensate for defensive errors and at that level have gotten away with not developing better technique. When they get to the next level their weaknesses are exposed. The same also applies to their offense.

You're right about her man to man defense not being good which is why I'm questioning Brian having her being in the game when they needed a stop. Carson should been in for Gray or Sims because of their defense issues. Speaking of Sims defense she wasnt even facing Allie on the inbound play she was facing the another basket and she was a few feet behind Allie which made the inbound pass to Sloot easy.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: