RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Solar Eclipse 2017 is Coming!!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What will your experience be?
I'm in the path of totality.
25%
 25%  [ 7 ]
I'm not, but am planning on going somewhere that is.
25%
 25%  [ 7 ]
I'm not in the path of totality and will be staying home.
48%
 48%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 27

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 08/10/17 7:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1rtRqtYTS-A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 08/10/17 7:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Your PSA for the day.

Quote:
If you've already purchased a pair of specs, AAS has a tip for testing them out.

When you put them on, "you shouldn't be able to see anything...except the sun itself," the organizations says. "If you can see lights of more ordinary brightness through your eclipse glasses or handheld viewer, and you're not sure the product came from a reputable vendor, it's no good," AAS said in a statement.

Quote:
The group also warns against using some eclipse-viewing home remedies -- such as sunglasses or wearing a welding mask.

The group recommends only using a welding mask if you're certain of its "shade number," an indication of how dark the mask's tint is. To view the eclipse, you'll need something at a 12, 13 or 14. A shade number of 13 is ideal, AAS says, but those are hard to come by.

http://fox59.com/2017/08/10/alarming-reports-of-unsafe-eclipse-glasses-sold-online-have-officials-warning-public/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 08/10/17 8:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
This was the response I received today to my email from last night.

Quote:
we are going to reship just in case as it says it was delivered in our records

I'm not sure if I should be happy or offended. Confused

I'm not sure how their records can show it was delivered when FedEx is not even showing it as being picked up yet.

Today I get a notification from APO that FedEx couldn't deliver the glasses and that I needed to contact FedEx to arrange for delivery.

I call FedEx and they still don't have any record of having a package for me.

I'm feeling more and more that someone at APO is trying to blame FedEx for something that was APO's fault.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 08/10/17 8:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Your PSA for the day.

Quote:
If you've already purchased a pair of specs, AAS has a tip for testing them out.

When you put them on, "you shouldn't be able to see anything...except the sun itself," the organizations says. "If you can see lights of more ordinary brightness through your eclipse glasses or handheld viewer, and you're not sure the product came from a reputable vendor, it's no good," AAS said in a statement.

Quote:
The group also warns against using some eclipse-viewing home remedies -- such as sunglasses or wearing a welding mask.

The group recommends only using a welding mask if you're certain of its "shade number," an indication of how dark the mask's tint is. To view the eclipse, you'll need something at a 12, 13 or 14. A shade number of 13 is ideal, AAS says, but those are hard to come by.

http://fox59.com/2017/08/10/alarming-reports-of-unsafe-eclipse-glasses-sold-online-have-officials-warning-public/

The linked article says: "The last time a total solar eclipse was visible from the continental U.S. was about 40 years ago, on February 26, 1979."

That's hard to believe, because I so vividly remember the same fear frenzy about everyone frying their eyes. Warnings about sunglasses. Warnings about staring at the sun. Frequent articles and TV demonstrations about how to build a mirrored light box to indirectly watch the eclipse.

As far as I recall, no one fried their eyes. Hominids have been looking at eclipses for at least 15 million years without American Astronomical Society approved sunglasses.

Can people glance at the full sun for a second or two and then glance again a while later? Of course, we all do it. A fortiori, we can do the same glancing thing with an eclipsing sun. Sans shades.
myrtle

PostPosted: 08/11/17 11:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

Can people glance at the full sun for a second or two and then glance again a while later? Of course, we all do it. A fortiori, we can do the same glancing thing with an eclipsing sun. Sans shades.

I agree in general, but for people who want to stare at it for the full 40 seconds or so, yeah, the special glasses are needed. I do know someone who ruined their eyes staring at the sun. They didn't go blind, but have permanent retina damage.

- Amanda Gorman
5thmantheme

PostPosted: 08/11/17 3:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fill a flat pail with a black bottom, with water. A big skillet will work too. Look at the eclipse reflection. Worked for 5000 years. Or go to a lake / swimming hole.

NOAA 6 to 10 day forecast is up
http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/610day/index.php

updated 10 day semi-traditional map via Washington Post, confidence low
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2017/08/11/total-solar-eclipse-weather-forecast-as-of-aug-11/?utm_term=.6b3e657eb21e

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 08/11/17 5:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looks like the money spot for both is along the Indiana/Missouri border, a little north of where it intersects with Kentucky.

I will definitely never be traveling there.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 08/12/17 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Everything you may have wanted to know.

Quote:
What will I see during a total solar eclipse?

During a total solar eclipse, the disk of the moon blocks out the last sliver of light from the sun, and the sun's outer atmosphere, the corona, becomes visible. The corona isn't an indistinct haze; skywatchers report seeing great jets and ribbons of light, twisting and curling out into the sky.

Quote:
What will happen during the total eclipse?

Plants and animals act as though night is falling, as flowers close up and birds return to roost. The temperature can drop 10 degrees or more.

I had been wondering how much it might drop. That will be weird.

Quote:
Will traffic be bad on Aug. 21?

Yes, it could be one of the worst traffic days in U.S. history, some NASA representatives predict. Although about 12 million people live within the narrow band of totality, about 200 million reside within a day's drive of it. The agency has estimated that the population inside the path of totality may double on the day of the eclipse.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/science/2017/07/11/solar-eclipse-2017-heres-everything-you-need-know/464345001/

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 08/12/17 8:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm THRILLED to report that I received my eclipse glasses today.

I received the pair that I ordered from APO 13 days ago AND the 5 pairs that I ordered from B&H 3 days ago. Now I have a total of 7 pairs. Rolling Eyes Laughing

I also got some filters fashioned for my cameras. I made 4 and I want to make a 5th one. Just in case. Wink

I'm going to be so bummed if it rains or is cloudy!!!!!!

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 08/13/17 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Now I have a total of 7 pairs.

You're good for centuries of eclipses!

Amazon is recalling and issuing refunds for many of the eclipse glasses.

I'm skipping the eclipse to have a new top put on my 95 Mustang convertible, which is leaking badly. That's okay, and I don't need any pictures of the eclipse, because I've already seen what they always look like:

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 08/13/17 8:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
Now I have a total of 7 pairs.

You're good for centuries of eclipses!

Amazon is recalling and issuing refunds for many of the eclipse glasses.

Unfortunately I've read that they are only good for about 3 years. Sad

And although none of mine came from Amazon, the 5 pairs from B&H came are Lunt.

Quote:
A second eclipse glasses seller based in Tucson, Ariz., Lunt Solar System, said their products are also verified but under a recall anyway.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 08/17/17 7:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Not going anywhere. Will see about 70% where I am.

This reminds me of one of my most memorable outdoor experiences. In the early '60's,
I hiked all alone up the western slope of Mt. Katahdin in northern Maine, over the peak, and down the eastern slope on day when an almost total eclipse of the sun hit in the afternoon as I was descending.

I had no gear other than a canteen of water and a sandwich, and I sat down for 20-30 minutes of greatest darkness. I recall running down much of the trail after the eclipse peaked so I could meet my father's car near the appointed time at the eastern base. I was a very good track athlete in those days, indestructible and fearless.

O tempora! O mores!

Cool. I remember that one, so researched the date- Sat. July 20, 1963, making me 7. My general memory is being in the family car, driving through the Naugatuck Valley, and my father pulling over so we could check it out. Trying to get sibling verification.

PostPosted: 08/18/17 3:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Not going anywhere. Will see about 70% where I am.

This reminds me of one of my most memorable outdoor experiences. In the early '60's,
I hiked all alone up the western slope of Mt. Katahdin in northern Maine, over the peak, and down the eastern slope on day when an almost total eclipse of the sun hit in the afternoon as I was descending.

I had no gear other than a canteen of water and a sandwich, and I sat down for 20-30 minutes of greatest darkness. I recall running down much of the trail after the eclipse peaked so I could meet my father's car near the appointed time at the eastern base. I was a very good track athlete in those days, indestructible and fearless.

O tempora! O mores!

Cool. I remember that one, so researched the date- Sat. July 20, 1963, making me 7. My general memory is being in the family car, driving through the Naugatuck Valley, and my father pulling over so we could check it out. Trying to get sibling verification.

That date is consistent with my memory of that summer, partly in Maine and mostly in Lake George, NY. Maine was the only state in the totality path. I must have gotten almost 99% on Katahdin. It was eerie.

pilight

PostPosted: 08/18/17 3:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Maine was the only state in the totality path

I think Alaska was a state in 1963

PostPosted: 08/18/17 4:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

3-day out Rain map
http://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/qpf/99qwbg.gif

Lots of info 1 page up from that, "Sky Cover" is wonky navigating watch the date, weird buttons and linking.
https://www.weather.gov/forecastmaps

Good luck everybody.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 08/19/17 2:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I decided to post this from my thread on the WNBA page:

"Meanwhile, as the saying goes, when the going gets tough (and man, have things been tough for me lately), the tough get going. So go I shall. Up to Idaho tomorrow to see the eclipse. 15 hours of driving for 2 minutes of blissful darkness and a lifetime of memories (well maybe 15-20 years of memories, as I'm already in my 60's). Still, there are really very few truly once-in-a-lifetime experiences, and even if it is just a matter of the moon blocking out the sun for a moment, I think of how people must have thought a thousand years ago when they didn't know it was going to happen. It is truly an amazing happenstance."

I will be driving up from Carson City tomorrow and staying outside of Boise tomorrow. (hotel $350). Then a 50 mile drive north to the wilderness for a perfect view. Some friends think I'm crazy, but I still remember where I was for the partial eclipse in 1963. My music for the event includes Bonnie Tyler, "Total Eclipse of the Heart" and Cat Stevens, "Moon Shadow". If it was longer I would even throw in The Walker Bros, :The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore" (Any other suggestions?)

I'm not a big nature buff, but the true majesty of nature you see when you look at the mountains or the oceans or the grand canyon can help to make your issues more manageable, and the forces involved in a solar eclipse are several magnitudes greater. If that doesn't put an individuals problems in perspective, I don't know what can.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 08/20/17 8:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm off to KY!

Have fun with the eclipse and stay safe!

I talked to an optometrist the other day and she said that they are expecting people to call in Tuesday with eye problems.

Hopefully there won't be anyone here that is making that Tuesday morning call of shame. There's been clear warning to be careful!

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 08/21/17 9:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm staying at my hotel. I have a southern window/patio door. I can stay in my a/c room with nice cold drinks and handy RR. I have that camera set up on a tripod and aimed at the sun. It was difficult enough to do in my somewhat shady room, I can't imagine trying out in the hot glare of the sun.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/21/17 9:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
I'm staying at my hotel. I have a southern window/patio door. I can stay in my a/c room with nice cold drinks and handy RR. I have that camera set up on a tripod and aimed at the sun. It was difficult enough to do in my somewhat shady room, I can't imagine trying out in the hot glare of the sun.

How's your weather? No clouds, I hope.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 08/21/17 9:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

Just a few right now. I'm thinking my bigger problem will come from the power plant's GIGANTIC smoke stack exhaust. Laughing

It's 98 feeling like 105 right now. Not too long ago I saw a young woman/teen outside with a denim jacket on! Shocked

myrtle

PostPosted: 08/21/17 10:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The day has dawned bright and sunny. For a different perspective, many Eastern gurus say it is a good time to stay indoors and meditate.

- Amanda Gorman
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/21/17 11:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

Just a few right now. I'm thinking my bigger problem will come from the power plant's GIGANTIC smoke stack exhaust. Laughing

It's 98 feeling like 105 right now. Not too long ago I saw a young woman/teen outside with a denim jacket on! Shocked

Same temps in Carbondale. The Weather channel folks were pointing out all the people sitting in SIU stadium in eclipse t-shirts that are mostly black in color and commenting "wrong color to be wearing today."

Hope your viewing is unobstructed.

BTW, the NASA website says:

Note: If your eclipse glasses or viewers are compliant with the ISO 12312-2 safety standard, you may look at the uneclipsed or partially eclipsed Sun through them for as long as you wish. Furthermore, if the filters aren't scratched, punctured, or torn, you may reuse them indefinitely. Some glasses/viewers are printed with warnings stating that you shouldn't look through them for more than 3 minutes at a time and that you should discard them if they are more than 3 years old. Such warnings are outdated and do not apply to eclipse viewers compliant with the ISO 12312-2 standard adopted in 2015. To make sure you get (or got) your eclipse glasses/viewers from a supplier of ISO-compliant products, see the American Astronomical Society (AAS) Reputable Vendors of Solar Filters & Viewers (link is external) page.

So keep all those glasses for 2024!

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 08/21/17 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not quite halfway. I looked at the temp about 20 minutes ago and it was 100.7 feeling like 107. Looked a few minutes ago and it was 96.6. Now it's 95 feeling like 101. Glad I'm in the little comfort of my room.

Saw one guy has drug his bed outside. Rolling Eyes

Good news about keeping the glasses!

There's been a bunch of vultures circling all day. Will be interesting to see what they do in a little while.

I may have to go outside in a little while. The balcony above me is beginning to cause me some issues. Crying or Very sad

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/21/17 1:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ok, I'm impressed.

We only get 82% here, and the max is still 45 minutes away, but looking through these glasses right now and seeing a big chunk taken out of the sun is definitely bizarre.

Weird.

Madras, Oregon is a town of 6,000 with a total of 300 hotel rooms. There are over 100,000 people camped out in a field there today.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 08/21/17 3:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Ok, I'm impressed.

We only get 82% here, and the max is still 45 minutes away, but looking through these glasses right now and seeing a big chunk taken out of the sun is definitely bizarre.

Weird.

Madras, Oregon is a town of 6,000 with a total of 300 hotel rooms. There are over 100,000 people camped out in a field there today.

Me too! Impressed that is.

I'm glad I came here. I'm glad in didn't go further south. I'm glad I stayed in my room as long as I did. A lot of people were out early and then when it was half-over, left. I'm glad that 2024 is in April!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: