18%  [ 3 ]
Lynx
81%
 81%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 16

Randy

PostPosted: 08/19/17 6:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scrappy wrote:
wow, i just read the .com site says lynx made a 37-0 run on the fever. if boucek got fired for losing 4 out of 5 games, i don't see how chatman not getting fired.

if the fever management doesn't fire anyone, then i think the fans should fire the team altogether.

The only way to do that would be to disband the franchise. Not sure that's what anyone really wants.

Don't see the fire Pokey talk - yeah they got blown out, but they have all kinds of injuries. They beat the "unbeatable" Lynx just a short time ago.

RP

PostPosted: 08/19/17 8:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

adamj95 wrote:
37-0! I've never seen this. All this after struggling without Whalen? I'm impressed.

22-9 to 59-9. That escalated quickly.

ClayK

PostPosted: 08/19/17 10:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've coached some really bad teams in really bad losses, but this is the WNBA, where the talent gap between best and worst is not even comparable.

This is a disgraceful performance by Indiana, and blame goes to Chatman and every single player.

There is no way a WNBA team should trail 59-9. No way.

PostPosted: 08/19/17 10:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Such a lack of effort.

I miss Catchings.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 08/19/17 1:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
SpaceCadet - Looks like Reeve posted this on the Lynx locker room wall. I strongly suggest that if you are at the game you leave before it is over or you may be the next victim in this massacre.

Razz

Haha. As an extremely superstitious fan, I'm glad I could help. This game was so crazy, I didn't even get outraged when I noticed the score of the Stars vs. Storm game. Smile Though now with the season series being 1-1, all I know right now based on that alone is that the Fever and Lynx are two very evenly matched teams, and it'll come down to the 3rd game to determine who is best. Wink

miller40

PostPosted: 08/19/17 1:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
Randy wrote:
SpaceCadet - Looks like Reeve posted this on the Lynx locker room wall. I strongly suggest that if you are at the game you leave before it is over or you may be the next victim in this massacre.

Razz

Haha. As an extremely superstitious fan, I'm glad I could help. This game was so crazy, I didn't even get outraged when I noticed the score of the Stars vs. Storm game. Smile Though now with the season series being 1-1, all I know right now based on that alone is that the Fever and Lynx are two very evenly matched teams, and it'll come down to the 3rd game to determine who is best. Wink

I can't be bothered to look it up because I'm mentally finished with this team, but isn't the series already 2-1?

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 08/19/17 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:
I can't be bothered to look it up because I'm mentally finished with this team, but isn't the series already 2-1?

Lynx play at Indiana on August 30th for their 3rd and final meeting.

miller40

PostPosted: 08/19/17 2:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
miller40 wrote:

Lynx play at Indiana on August 30th for their 3rd and final meeting.

Lol thanks, must have been strong wishful thinking on my part.

sportsfan48

PostPosted: 08/19/17 3:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
So the Lynx are up 40 and Reeve keeps all her starters in? For what reason? She wanna get a few more of them injured? Take them all out aside from Montgomery.

MN has a weak bench???

tfan

PostPosted: 08/19/17 5:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
tfan wrote:
justintyme wrote:
tfan wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:
So the Lynx are up 40 and Reeve keeps all her starters in? For what reason? She wanna get a few more of them injured? Take them all out aside from Montgomery.

"Why are the starters still in?' could be asked at just about every WNBA blowout at some point.

The team only has 9 players...

Don't want to overplay the reserves either. Best is to balance the time. Which is basically what is happening.

The bench has played less minutes than the starters in every other game of the year. I don't see a need for Reeve to be cautious with bench minutes in this game.

Not talking about other games this year. Want balance for this game. Looking at the boxscore Reeve played it perfectly with the balance.

Fagbenle got 12 minutes in a game in which the Lynx were ahead 45 points at the half and only dressed 9. I think it can only be "played it awesomely with the balance" at best.

But as far as a need to balance minutes in this game, I have heard people talking about resting starters down the stretch but I have never heard someone say that you have to not rest starters too much so you don't tire out your bench players. I think you've introduced a new concept into basketball.

justintyme

PostPosted: 08/19/17 7:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
justintyme wrote:
tfan wrote:
justintyme wrote:
tfan wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:

"Why are the starters still in?' could be asked at just about every WNBA blowout at some point.

The team only has 9 players...

Don't want to overplay the reserves either. Best is to balance the time. Which is basically what is happening.

The bench has played less minutes than the starters in every other game of the year. I don't see a need for Reeve to be cautious with bench minutes in this game.

Not talking about other games this year. Want balance for this game. Looking at the boxscore Reeve played it perfectly with the balance.

Fagbenle got 12 minutes in a game in which the Lynx were ahead 45 points at the half and only dressed 9. I think it can only be "played it awesomely with the balance" at best.

But as far as a need to balance minutes in this game, I have heard people talking about resting starters down the stretch but I have never heard someone say that you have to not rest starters too much so you don't tire out your bench players. I think you've introduced a new concept into basketball.

Teams need their bench for the playoffs, especially when you have an older team. Playing people that are used to playing 4 or 5 minutes a game 35 would be a risk. They are not used to it.

So yes, you want to rest starters, but in any one game you don't want to go crazy on minutes for anyone.

Complaining about minutes for players when only 2 players even crossed 24 minutes (both of which are backups, and neither are posts which Temi is) is beyond asinine. You still want to rotate players so that players aren't gassed out on the floor. And you want to reward bench players that stepped up. Both Pierson and Howard deserved getting their minutes. So why is anyone worried about this at all?

PostPosted: 08/19/17 10:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

More to the point - why is it that the only ones complaining about the minutes of Lynx players are fans of other teams? If anyone should be worried about, it should be MN fans, but they aren't so I see no reason to worry for them. NY fans do worry about the minutes Tina plays for ex. If MN's players are ground down by playing too much or due to injuries it helps the opposing teams. So I say "What me worry?"

tfan

PostPosted: 08/20/17 4:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:

Teams need their bench for the playoffs, especially when you have an older team. Playing people that are used to playing 4 or 5 minutes a game 35 would be a risk. They are not used to it.

Like I said, I have never heard of going easy on playing the bench in blowouts (the bench would not get 35 minutes either). Is this your own personal opinion or have you seen coaches talking about being concerned about playing their bench players too much in blowouts?

Quote:
Complaining about minutes for players when only 2 players even crossed 24 minutes (both of which are backups, and neither are posts which Temi is) is beyond asinine.

In looking at the play-by-play I see Fowles and Moore mentioned throughout the 3rd quarter. Very reasonable to complain about them being in the game with a 45 point lead. I think a better defense of Reeve than "being careful with bench minutes" is that most of the WNBA coaches leave their starters in too long in blowouts.

tfan

PostPosted: 08/20/17 5:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
More to the point - why is it that the only ones complaining about the minutes of Lynx players are fans of other teams? If anyone should be worried about, it should be MN fans, but they aren't so I see no reason to worry for them. NY fans do worry about the minutes Tina plays for ex. If MN's players are ground down by playing too much or due to injuries it helps the opposing teams. So I say "What me worry?"

People were complaining about Minnesota Olympic Team members being in with a 45 point lead, not that they were being overworked.

tfan

PostPosted: 08/20/17 5:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There Was A Hysterically Lopsided Blowout In The WNBA Last Night

justintyme

PostPosted: 08/20/17 10:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Randy wrote:

People were complaining about Minnesota Olympic Team members being in with a 45 point lead, not that they were being overworked.

Oooooh. So you aren't worried about overwork or rest, it is just that you think that some professional sports team has a moral obligation to not play their top players at all after the game becomes a blow out.

Screw that. If teams don't want to be embarrassed, play better. These are professional adults. The top players weren't played a ridiculous amout and the only obligation a team has is to itself.

Yeah, this argument is even weaker than the whole overwork one.

PostPosted: 08/20/17 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Oooooh. So you aren't worried about overwork or rest, it is just that you think that some professional sports team has a moral obligation to not play their top players at all after the game becomes a blow out.

Screw that. If teams don't want to be embarrassed, play better. These are professional adults. The top players weren't played a ridiculous amout and the only obligation a team has is to itself.

Yes. The Lynx only had 4 benchers, the starters didn't play that much, and a group of players aren't going to play 20 straight minutes in the 2nd half. Plus someone like Alexis Jones is likely better off getting experience playing with some of the starters than the only real-game experience ever getting is with all bench players.

tfan

PostPosted: 08/20/17 7:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
tfan wrote:
Randy wrote:

Oooooh. So you aren't worried about overwork or rest, it is just that you think that some professional sports team has a moral obligation to not play their top players at all after the game becomes a blowout.

Screw that. If teams don't want to be embarrassed, play better. These are professional adults. The top players weren't playing a ridiculous amount and the only obligation a team has is to itself.

The WNBA coaches are mostly, if not entirely in agreement with you.

The biggest disservice during WNBA blowouts is not to the fans or the opposing team, it is to the deep bench players. They are sitting and watching all the time, and then with a massive lead, they still have to spend most of their time watching.

Quote:

I actually don't think anyone made an overwork argument. When people say "why are the starters still in?" I think it is always with regard to why not stop pouring it on and let the deep bench get some time for a change. But the argument that you need to have a concern with the blowout minutes of bench players who are practicing for 2 hours all the time and going into a game chock-full of stops in action, doesn't seem particularly strong to me.

Last edited by tfan on 08/21/17 3:47 am; edited 4 times in total
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 08/20/17 8:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

To me it is twofold.
1. You just never know when you'll need a bench player to step up. An injury or some foul trouble to a starter in a big game can happen, so bench players should have exposure to playing time.
2. Maybe others feel differently, but as a coach I'd feel pretty stupid if a critical player got injured during garbage time.
In the case of the Lynx in particular, I'd add 3. Most starters are older players, and most bench players are younger, and therefore better able to physically recover from some extended minutes.

PostPosted: 08/20/17 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fowles was gassed tonight vs. New York. This is where having Temi with some decent playing time could have come in and given Fowles some rest.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 08/20/17 9:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Fowles was gassed tonight vs. New York. This is where having Temi with some decent playing time could have come in and given Fowles some rest.

That has more to do with the New York game, not this game.
Fowles played the entire NY game without any breaks until the end (no wonder she was gassed), and Renee played pretty much the entire game too, and the entire 2nd half, when Aleixs Jones probably couldn't have been much worse for short periods either today. 😭

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: