Seattle Storm 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
miller40

PostPosted: 08/10/17 10:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Shades wrote:
scrappy wrote:

yeah laimbeer talked seattle into getting swords off his hands.

Yeah, so he could make room for Kia Vaughn, Liberty fan's latest most hated.

But also one of our new favs Bria Hartley. Who saw that coming a couple weeks into the season?

I still like this Seattle team, maybe it was the coaches fault I thought they would be a top 5 team this year. I still have faith in Loyd and Stewie, just need a big post (maybe Klop can get more out of Swords) but they might be able to solve that through the draft or a trade. I like the idea of trying to poach Chiney (or maybe Jefferson to eventually replace Bird) but I don't think they have the pieces. Maybe win the lottery a 3rd #1 pick in Wilson could solve the problems.

I'll be so annoyed if Seattle gets another #1 pick and Indiana is sitting over here without a single #1 pick ever. Lol

Nerd2

PostPosted: 08/10/17 10:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I expect that Valavanis is still there because she had been making money for the organization. There is no point at the moment to make a GM change if they were planning to. I am not sure how much of the player selection was hers and how much was Boucek's that Valavanis just went out and got. I mentioned to Valavanis at the first home game that we might be a semifinals team. Loyd had had a fantastic game, Stewie and Bird were supposed to be healing well, we'd just brought in a good backup post and Whitcomb's defense and speed had impressed me. Her answer chilled me: "I think you're being very generous." At that moment, I suspected there might be something not quite rosy with the team.

Nerd2

PostPosted: 08/10/17 10:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
Shades wrote:
scrappy wrote:

yeah laimbeer talked seattle into getting swords off his hands.

Yeah, so he could make room for Kia Vaughn, Liberty fan's latest most hated.

But also one of our new favs Bria Hartley. Who saw that coming a couple weeks into the season?

I still like this Seattle team, maybe it was the coaches fault I thought they would be a top 5 team this year. I still have faith in Loyd and Stewie, just need a big post (maybe Klop can get more out of Swords) but they might be able to solve that through the draft or a trade. I like the idea of trying to poach Chiney (or maybe Jefferson to eventually replace Bird) but I don't think they have the pieces. Maybe win the lottery a 3rd #1 pick in Wilson could solve the problems.

I'll be so annoyed if Seattle gets another #1 pick and Indiana is sitting over here without a single #1 pick ever. Lol

Well, Fever kinda need to stop making the playoffs so regularly to get one. Right now they are in 2nd seed with the Storm 3rd and Atlanta 4th. They'd need to end up with one game more loss than the Storm to stay that way.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/11/17 3:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You also don't change the GM right now in case you aim high for the next head coach hire and end up needing (or wanting) to offer that person player personnel control. You deal with that in the offseason.

PostPosted: 08/11/17 4:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Whoever has the title of GM should get the credit/blame for all personnel changes via trades and drafts. Even if the coach initiates an idea, the GM has to be in agreement with it for it to happen.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 08/11/17 5:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I believe 100% that Bird is going to retire with the Storm. Yes she was a fan hiring Boucek but she is more a fan on winning and really competing in her last couple of years. So why would she leave when this team has 2 young star players and with the right moves can compete with the rest.

She has said multiple times that she takes it year by year. She makes the decision if she is healthy and can compete at a high level. With the way she is playing this season and not missing any time i see her playing next season.

But the Storm really need to start a play for life after Bird because she cant play forever and she cant keep up playing so many minutes every season. She is the oldest player in the league and 20th in minutes played per game. Same amount as Sloot who is a lot younger.
Try to get that down to 25-28 minutes per game but right now every time she sits down the Storm collapse and drown in turnovers.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Shades

PostPosted: 08/11/17 3:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Who will be the next head coach of the Seattle Storm? Choices abound

https://summitthoops.com/2017/08/11/next-head-coach-seattle-storm/

The puppet master Megdal runs through some possible candidates for the new head coach for SEA next year.

1. The interim
*Gary Kloppenburg
Quote:
Do not underestimate Kloppenburg’s ability to grab the permanent gig, with his significant coaching experience and the likelihood that improved defensive buy in from the Storm players could land Seattle in the playoffs. Opinion around the league is split, with some expressing a belief that a playoff appearance would be enough to get him a full-time shot, others believing the Storm will open things up regardless of how he does.

Being in his second year of WNBA coverage, I'm not sure how Megdal would know how competent Kloppenburg would be for this job. He must have read things. I'm in the camp that they should open up things for next year.

2. Assistant coaches
*Katie Smith NYL
*Nicki Cullen CON (stealing my best candidate)
*Bridget Pettis DAL
*Bobbie Kelsey LAS (the get your butt into the gym coach is moving up fast! Ridiculous choice)
*Tonya Edwards LAS (he's thinking all assistants running through LAS are golden)

3. College coaches
*Charlotte Smith Elon
*Aaron Roussell Bucknell
Quote:
But let’s be clear: the relative power, longevity and financial reward of a college job makes luring someone away from a power five conference gig to the WNBA prohibitively difficult.

4. Former players
*Kara Lawson
*Lindsey Harding (claims she's eager to get into coaching, but doesn't she want to be a reference now that the acting thing doesn't seem to be panning out)
*Tameka Johnson (last played in SEA)

He missed the most obvious choice, Tanisha Wright, who has obvious coaching acumen and is very familiar with SEA. But usually former players need to start out as assistants before they take on the head coaching reins.

5. WNBA coaching retreads
*Anne Donovan (brought SEA a title before)
*Dan Hughes

If you want to do a retread, how about doing it right and bringing Lin Dunn back to SEA. After retiring she decided retiring wasn't really for her and went on to assistant coach for Kentucky. Just a thought ... no need to throw things.

6. Coach on the floor
*Sue Bird

Now stealing Queenie's idea? I dunno... maybe Bird has had a lot of input and that's been part of the problem.

7. Becky Hammon
Quote:
Okay, here’s the deal: Becky Hammon is an option for every coaching job in the world. Women. Men. Doesn’t matter. And she probably shouldn’t take any of them, not when the San Antonio Spurs sure look like they are grooming her to become the first woman to coach an NBA team.

There's that plus the fact if she wanted a WNBA job, the SAN job would be open for her.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
threefrom60

PostPosted: 08/11/17 4:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Worth making a phone call to Adia Barnes? The team is even in Arizona as we speak...

Long history with the team, close with Sue, Seattle connections...

Nerd2

PostPosted: 08/11/17 8:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

threefrom60 wrote:
Worth making a phone call to Adia Barnes? The team is even in Arizona as we speak...

And her dream job at her college alma mater. She's not going to leave a college job for a WNBA one.

threefrom60

PostPosted: 08/12/17 1:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
threefrom60 wrote:

And her dream job at her college alma mater. She's not going to leave a college job for a WNBA one.

How is the fan road trip so far? We originally planned to go but then changed our minds at the last minute... actually glad we didn't go with how the season has gone!

StevenHW

PostPosted: 08/12/17 1:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carol Ross hasn't been doing anything, AFAIK.

PostPosted: 08/12/17 2:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
Carol Ross hasn't been doing anything, AFAIK.

She got fired for a reason. My theory is she couldn't handle the strong personalities of the Sparks players to make them work as a cohesive unit. Maybe SEA won't need a demanding coach and Ross would suffice. But they've got that now in Klop.

Randy

PostPosted: 08/12/17 2:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carol Ross is yet another WNBA COY that got fired as soon as things didn't go well - about a year and half later.

Nerd2

PostPosted: 08/12/17 5:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

threefrom60 wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:
threefrom60 wrote:

How is the fan road trip so far? We originally planned to go but then changed our minds at the last minute... actually glad we didn't go with how the season has gone!

I wasn't able to go to to the meet and greet Friday but I was told it was nice and the players seemed pretty happy to see the fans. Nothing much else except for early entry.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/13/17 5:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

New coach of WNBA's Seattle Storm sees playoffs on horizon

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/wnba/2017/08/12/new-coach-of-wnbas-seattle-storm-sees-playoffs-on-horizon/104530016/

Quote:
"We really are trying to regroup and just trying to get better in some areas that hurt us in a couple games," Kloppenburg told The Associated Press by phone Saturday. "We need to be a better rebounding team, cut down on turnovers. Things we can control."

Quote:
The Storm promoted Kloppenburg on Thursday when they fired Jenny Boucek.

"It's not how you want to get a head job," Kloppenburg said.

Quote:
"Any time a team is viewed as underachieving and not playing their best in the world of sports we understand it's a business," guard Sue Bird said. "That's why players are traded and that's why there are coaching changes. If asked about the shock, no because I've been around long enough to know about the business."

Quote:
"I think the biggest thing I learned was communication with the players," he said of his time as an assistant. "That's the most important thing. Being honest. Being able to communicate with all your players. Have a finger on the pulse of what's happening."

Quote:
Seattle went 36-58 under Boucek since she appointed coach on Jan. 20, 2015.

Quote:
Kloppenburg doesn't see the final eight games as a job audition.

tfan

PostPosted: 08/17/17 6:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interim Storm coach Gary Kloppenburg is a quiet leader

Quote:
“The biggest lesson I learned coaching in Tulsa is just to really be hands on and make sure you’re always communicating with your players and not letting anything slide,” said Kloppenburg, who compiled a 20-48 record during two years (2012-13) with the Shock.

tfan

PostPosted: 08/18/17 4:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seattle’s Alysha Clark Receives July WNBA Cares Community Assist Award

zune69

PostPosted: 08/19/17 3:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Unfortunately for seattle,it's deja vu all over again.Beat a bunch of teams down the stretch that are missing players,and sneak into the playoffs with a sub .500 record.Lets just hope the storm don't trade away their 1st rd pick for K.Vaughn,N.Achonwa,or Larkins.A top 4 pick would have put the storm in excellent position to get the player of their choice.Now they'll have to hope that Canada/Russell are still on the board at #6......Mitchell/Billings would not be good fits imo.

Nerd2

PostPosted: 08/19/17 9:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Unfortunately for seattle,it's deja vu all over again.Beat a bunch of teams down the stretch that are missing players,and sneak into the playoffs with a sub .500 record.Lets just hope the storm don't trade away their 1st rd pick for K.Vaughn,N.Achonwa,or Larkins.A top 4 pick would have put the storm in excellent position to get the player of their choice.Now they'll have to hope that Canada/Russell are still on the board at #6......Mitchell/Billings would not be good fits imo.

But this is what the fans want and truth be told the players too. It looks like it would end up being the #5 pick if it's not lottery. Even more than the pick, I think the Storm need to look at their existing starters and trade at least one of the undersized ones. Hopefully, they learned something with bringing in Swords.

zune69

PostPosted: 08/20/17 5:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
zune69 wrote:

But this is what the fans want and truth be told the players too. It looks like it would end up being the #5 pick if it's not lottery. Even more than the pick, I think the Storm need to look at their existing starters and trade at least one of the undersized ones. Hopefully, they learned something with bringing in Swords.

I agree...infact,I believe both Langhorne/clark should be removed from the starting lineup.Lanhorne would be perfect coming of the bench.But using her in a trade could be the better value play.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 08/20/17 5:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:

Which other teams then the Lynx are missing players? We won against the Mercury and Griner played and scored 17 pts or something. We played against the Lynx and we missed Bird ourselves. Everybody thought we were going to lose that game.. We won against the Stars and they missed Jefferson but this was the game that we should have won even if she played..

Out of the remaining 5 games the only team that is missing players is the Mystics and everyone else played against them aswell while they were missing either Hill or EDD or both..

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
zune69

PostPosted: 08/20/17 7:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
zune69 wrote:

Which other teams then the Lynx are missing players? We won against the Mercury and Griner played and scored 17 pts or something. We played against the Lynx and we missed Bird ourselves. Everybody thought we were going to lose that game.. We won against the Stars and they missed Jefferson but this was the game that we should have won even if she played..

Out of the remaining 5 games the only team that is missing players is the Mystics and everyone else played against them aswell while they were missing either Hill or EDD or both..

Griner played limited minutes,plus the mercury are without Bonner.Yeah,I know,Bonner's been out since the start of the season.But she'll be back in 2018.

San Antonio was missing Jefferson and Desouza.....And seattle beating the stars is a foregone conclusion based on what ?......san antonio just beat seattle two weeks ago,and had a 11 point lead with 7 minutes to go in fridays game.

Seattle has 5 more games left.2 against a chicago team that traded away their starting SF and Backup center,1 against a dream team that is playing without McCoughtry,1 against a washington team that will be playing without Hill and Cloud,and 1 against a Bonnerless mercury team.Seattle has been relatively healthy all season long,but are still a sub .500 basketball team.That doesn't bode well for next season.

Multiple teams,will make multiple additions next season:

Dallas-Cambage & Draft pick
Phoenix-Bonner & Draft pick
Chicago-Faulkner,Coates,and 2 Draft picks
San Antonio-Lottery pick,and maybe a starter/rotation player for Jefferson/Plum

The worst thing seattle can do this offseason is stand pat by bringing back the same starting lineup.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 08/20/17 8:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
zune69 wrote:

Griner played limited minutes,plus the mercury are without Bonner.Yeah,I know,Bonner's been out since the start of the season.But she'll be back in 2018.

San Antonio was missing Jefferson and Desouza.....And seattle beating the stars is a foregone conclusion based on what ?......san antonio just beat seattle two weeks ago,and had a 11 point lead with 7 minutes to go in fridays game.

Seattle has 5 more games left.2 against a chicago team that traded away their starting SF and Backup center,1 against a dream team that is playing without McCoughtry,1 against a washington team that will be playing without Hill and Cloud,and 1 against a Bonnerless mercury team.Seattle has been relatively healthy all season long,but are still a sub .500 basketball team.That doesn't bode well for next season.

Multiple teams,will make multiple additions next season:

Dallas-Cambage & Draft pick
Phoenix-Bonner & Draft pick
Chicago-Faulkner,Coates,and 2 Draft picks
San Antonio-Lottery pick,and maybe a starter/rotation player for Jefferson/Plum

The worst thing seattle can do this offseason is stand pat by bringing back the same starting lineup.

Bonner is out for the whole season so EVERY TEAM played against the Mercury without Bonner Rolling Eyes

The stars playing without DeSouza is an advantage for them so counting that as them missing her is a joke tbh. I counted the Stars out of all the remaining games from the Storm as a win because they have the least amount of talent out of our remaining games and the Storm SHOULD win from them instead of winning against the Lynx, Mercury etc.

The Sky are playing better without their starting SF and their backup center in Boyette so counting that as missing players is BS IMO as they are a more dangerous team now IMO

So like i said the only team that is missing relevant players is the Mystics.
IMO the remaining schedule is not that easy for the Storm.
But i have to agree with you that the Storm need to make some big changes. I would like to see Langhorne coming off the bench and us playing with a solid true center next to Stewart or trading Langhorne now that she still has some good value.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/20/17 8:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
zune69 wrote:

We've all been suggesting they trade Langhorne for years, though. I'm not sure there's much value left, and presumably that's why the move hasn't been made in the past - lack of a decent available return. And Clark, while a useful role player, isn't getting you much back either. Changing these starters is a good idea in theory, but you need someone better to replace them with. Swords would've been an option - and still is, I guess - but they made a mess of that.

On the bright side, just making the playoffs or just missing them probably doesn't make much difference to the draft pick. Barring significant luck it's just 4th or 5th. You just cut out that little possibility. And Seattle have certainly had plenty of lottery luck over the years.

PostPosted: 08/20/17 9:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A rebounder, like the one Seattle let go, would be helpful as well. This team has a lot of firepower, but they get few second-chance opportunities and are turnover-prone. A suitable backup for Bird should be a priority.

Defensively, as much as adding size, Loyd needs to take some step forward. Right now, she is half of arguably the worst defensive backcourt in the league.

These are issues Seattle should be able to address without undergoing a massive shift.

Last edited by RP on 08/20/17 9:50 am; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 16 of 19

Jump to: