RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

WATN? Schuye Larue

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 11/17/15 11:40 pm    ::: WATN? Schuye Larue Reply Reply with quote

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/social-issues/how-one-of-the-most-promising-basketball-players-became-homeless/2015/11/17/2dbd5c44-87ce-11e5-be8b-1ae2e4f50f76_story.html

Quote:
She can’t remember the last time she touched a basketball. But she thinks about it constantly, scrutinizing pickup games she doesn’t dare participate in, waiting to speak with an agent she hasn’t heard from in 10 years.

PostPosted: 11/17/15 11:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

remember when holdsclaw broke this 3 years ago was sad then and is sad now

PostPosted: 11/17/15 11:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
remember when holdsclaw broke this 3 years ago was sad then and is sad now

It's sad to look at the picture with the story and realize she's only 34 years old.

PostPosted: 11/18/15 12:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One of the major problems with mental illness is the refusal to accept help. I think this is one of the saddest things about it...that people have reached out to her, but somehow through her haze it's not possible to accept the outstretched hand.

- Amanda Gorman
UofDel_Alum

PostPosted: 11/18/15 9:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow! A very sad story. I hope she gets the help she needs. Her problem is just a drop in the bucket. We have so many people in the United States that have mental illness issues and get no help. This is an issue government agencies have to face and resolve.

root_thing

PostPosted: 11/18/15 10:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's sad, but even people who aren't mentally ill lose their way. Debbie Thomas was in the news last week. Not only was she a champion skater, but she was also a Stanford-educated practicing surgeon. Now, she's living in a bedbug infested trailer in Appalachia.

pilight

PostPosted: 07/27/17 9:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

E60 is doing a story on Schuye that will air Sunday

https://twitter.com/E60/status/890281874903453698

Quote:
Her story, Sunday 9am ET

PostPosted: 07/28/17 10:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.espn.com/espnw/culture/feature/article/20162095/schuye-larue-living-streets-washington-dc-want-your-help

Quote:
Schuye was arrested in July and charged with failing to appear for the felony possession charge; she currently is in the Correctional Treatment Facility -- jail -- in D.C. and refusing to cooperate with her public defender.

When looking at the pics, remember that LaRue is younger than Sue Bird and Plenette Pierson. She could still be playing if things had gone differently.

PostPosted: 07/28/17 4:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
http://www.espn.com/espnw/culture/feature/article/20162095/schuye-larue-living-streets-washington-dc-want-your-help

Quote:
Schuye was arrested in July and charged with failing to appear for the felony possession charge; she currently is in the Correctional Treatment Facility -- jail -- in D.C. and refusing to cooperate with her public defender.

When looking at the pics, remember that LaRue is younger than Sue Bird and Plenette Pierson. She could still be playing if things had gone differently.

very sad...why we need better understanding, diagnosis and plans for treatment of mental illness #endthestigma

been following this since Holdsclaw's tweet WAPO article was good...dunno if ill tune in but that was some fine reporting

PostPosted: 07/30/17 8:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought it was (Shy-uh) Maybe im wrong.

PostPosted: 08/02/17 10:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Woke up to her story this morning on ESPN. Very sad story. I hope she is able to get the help she needs.

PostPosted: 08/02/17 10:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
I thought it was (Shy-uh) Maybe im wrong.

That's what I thought, but I read her mom had a friend that named her kid "Sky" she decided to name her daughter that, except spelled "Shuye"

PostPosted: 08/19/17 8:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The part that stood out for me was Schuye asking how is Rebecca Lobo and Kara Lawson, as if they were still playing. IIRC, Schuye was drafted by the Sparks in 2003, and Lobo and Lawson both played that season. Lobo retired after the season ended, a day after she made an appearance on ABC's "Nightline".

I guess Schuye's awareness about the WNBA has her trapped in a time warp, and she probably still thinks it is 2003.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: