55%  [ 11 ]
Sky
45%
 45%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 20

willtalk

PostPosted: 08/19/17 1:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
I'll give Agler the benefit of a doubt, but why are you not switching everything up 3 with 10 seconds left? Just let Vandersloot have the layup...

Anyway, great game. This was a must-lose for the Sky and they came through.

You still have to have someone follow every player so that they don't end up with an open 3 point look. Somebody didn't do what they were supposed too. Gray ended up following Vanderslout because she obviously lost her defender ( believe it was Beard). In that process Dolson ended up wide open for a three. Obviously two players were covering one other shooter. I think it was Parker and Sims both covering a player in the corner. . Someone missed their defensive assignment.

Randy

PostPosted: 08/19/17 7:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

adamj95 wrote:
#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
i really like this male commentator but him saying that Parkers defense along with her offense makes her an MVP candidate is just hilarious Laughing Laughing

If Parker keeps playing this good, I think she’ll get some votes for MVP

I'm sorry but no way is Parker worthy of any MVP votes.

Lynx fans seem to get upset unless their players and coaches get all votes for all the league awards (except ROY).....That's why I always vote for them in the polls.

Razz

hangtyme24

PostPosted: 08/19/17 7:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I really liked Chicago's commentators. The lady calls the game with so much passion and excitement for both teams, it reminded me of the old lifetime days lol. Good game and good win by LA. We still have a few things to work on, but I think we're trending in the right direction. Hope BayBay will be back soon to give us a lift off the bench. Sims continues to impress me with her play. If Sims and Gray can give LA 14-18ppg and 4-8apg each, the Sparks will be a dangerous team come playoffs.

PostPosted: 08/19/17 7:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
ChicagoAnnie wrote:
Essence needs to stop shooting 3's.... Rolling Eyes

She needs to take her sunglasses off when she plays basketball.

I know you're being funny, but she suffered an eye injury when she was with the Liberty. She had to wear protective glasses for a very long time. I'm not sure if they're still a medical requirement, or if she's just gotten accustomed to them.

If she's shooting 3's, that's an improvement from shooting 2's with a foot on the line, though.

PostPosted: 08/19/17 8:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Vandersloot and Quigley are playing at an All-WNBA level the entire season. I hope the voting media are paying attention and show these women some love when they are casting their votes. These two women are the most efficient players at their respective positions in the entire league. If neither one of these women make the first or second team All-WNBA, I will be one pissed off Sky fan.

PostPosted: 08/19/17 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chelsea Gray and Odyssey Sims played 88 minutes and between them, had zero turnovers.

Zero.

Plus 20 assists. And six steals. Oh, and made seven of 12 threes.

I would also be willing to guess this is the first game in WNBA history where five players from one team played more than 40 minutes.

PostPosted: 08/19/17 10:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

I would also be willing to guess this is the first game in WNBA history where five players from one team played more than 40 minutes.

Well, it was double overtime, so it should be possible in other double OT games unless players foul out. We've had quadruple OT games.

Plus, it's Alger in a close game.

Nneka played 46:59 out of a possible 50:00 and was the only player who looked fresh out there. Beast

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Hoops9092

PostPosted: 08/19/17 11:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nneka is superwoman

willtalk

PostPosted: 08/19/17 11:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hangtyme24 wrote:
---------- Sims continues to impress me with her play. ---------------------.

That would be if you focused only on stats. Along with making some impressive plays, she put up some pretty decent stats in this last game. However ( here it comes ) if you look past those things, there is much about her game that leaves a lot to be desired. Now generally her pluses out weigh her negatives except during certain crunch time situations like the last two overtimes. Why do you think Agler had her on the bench? It was because of two costly mental errors, in respect to spacing and positioning. One defensively at the end of Reg. and the other offensively at the beginning of the first over time. The casual fan might miss these things but a coach doesn't.

Now everyone makes these types of mistakes. but some make it a habit. Now everyone of the Sparks was pretty tired and that is often when these sort of things come into play. I re-watched the end of regulation and the first over time because I was curious as to why the coach pulled Sims. I would have pulled Beard who I thought looked sluggish and out of sync. I did recognize that Sims was somehow involved in Dolson being so open but I did not know if it was her or Parker who was responsible.

On that last play Beard got picked by three Sky players and her and Gray switched. Quigley lost Sims at the top of the key early in the play due to both bad positional defense and loss of concentration by Sims. Dolson being open wasn't due to a mistake by Parker because Quigley had a huge lead on Sims and was running for the corner to set up for an open three. Parker had no choice but to switch off Dolson and pick her up. Sims, who was right next to Dolson when Parker switched chose to continue to chase down Quigley so that she eventually ended up between them with no shot at either. That breakdown was all on Sims.

On their second possession in the overtime, Parker had a pass intercepted that resulted in the Sky's first score. Although Parker was charged with the turn over it was set up by Sims bad faulty spacing. That was when Agler pulled her out for the remaining of the game. He didn't trust her not to make another mental error in the stage of this game when each possession was key. I have often noticed her bad spacing defensively but this was the first time I noticed it on offense. Often players who are really quick and fast tend to rely on their speed instead of developing good positioning skills. Good position and court spacing can compensate for and mitigate a players a lack of speed. Conversely, bad spacing can negate a player speed advantage just as well. Now I don't know how much impact fatigue had on her, but often being tired will manifest our worst habits.

I wonder how much this has impacted Aglers trust in Sims. Hope it was just a teaching moment like when he sat down Gray last season. Her outside shot is starting to drop and she will be needed in the playoffs. Both Carson and Williams have not been that consistent and when their shots aren't dropping they often become liabilities.

RP

PostPosted: 08/19/17 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Agler is probably hoping Sims can provide the same lift that Gray did a season ago, so will continue to play her heavy minutes. Sims certainly has the talent to do it.

The only downside is the false confidence making a few outside shots could give to a player with an already quick trigger.

jap

PostPosted: 08/19/17 2:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RP wrote:
Agler is probably hoping Sims can provide the same lift that Gray did a season ago, so will continue to play her heavy minutes. Sims certainly has the talent to do it.

The only downside is the false confidence making a few outside shots could give to a player with an already quick trigger.

If Odyssey gets too trigger happy, Alana and Nneka will whip her behind into team-oriented shape before Brian even gets started on her.

PostPosted: 08/19/17 4:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Steph "Curry" Dolson that 3 to sent the game to overtime was a deep 3 and Parker was right there to contest it. Sloot should be on all first Wnba team. Nneka jumper was working. Sims and Gray played all those mins without turnover the ball Shocked. Parker must have got some homecooking cause she was balling.

willtalk

PostPosted: 08/19/17 8:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Libra_Girl------ wrote:
Steph "Curry" Dolson that 3 to sent the game to overtime was a deep 3 and Parker was right there to contest it.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- c-

The three where Parker contested ( but bit late ) was the 3 Dolson hit at about 11 seconds to go. The one that sent it into over time was the one I was referring too and in that one she was wide open with no one even close to her. That was on an in bounds play after Gray hit two foul shots ( after Dolsons first 3 ) putting the Sparks back up by three again. With 10.9 left.

Sims was actually playing really well offensively and her outside shots dropping justified any shots she might have taken from there. She did make a few ill advised drives a few times but other players have done that as well. Even that last shot was excusable. That was not why she was pulled. Her defensive coverage on the the last defensive play in over time involved multiple sequential mental errors. So when her spacing error came into play in the first over time Agler pulled her. She chose to set herself close to Parker when there was an entire side of the floor in which there was to operate. From there she could have either taken Parkers pass to the basket or created a large lane for Parker to drive on a return pass. Instead she positioned herself as to allow Vandersloot perfect defensive position to intercept the pass and a free lane to score.

I think her weakness might actually be court awareness in respect to spacing on both offense and defense. Thats what caused both of those mistakes. That is often something observers (fans ) have difficulty recognizing watching the game.

ClayK

PostPosted: 08/20/17 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Player development is always an interesting process ...

Sims, of course, was a great high school/club player and she could pretty much do what she wanted. Her offensive value was off the charts, and her athleticism made her a good enough defender.

What I saw of her in college was more of the same -- in other words, her offense-heavy value was very high, and her defensive flaws were either not exposed or not considered important.

But in the WNBA, like so many players, she's had to add to her game to be successful. She's still a good offensive player, but to be valuable enough to be on the floor all the time she has to defend as well, and that means playing team defense. Team defense -- rotations, understanding of her own team's concepts, understanding of what the other team wants to do -- requires a certain mindset that has to be learned, and it seems to me that's what Sims is learning right now. (That's what it means to be a veteran ...)

Almost every player has to add a piece to her game at the pro level, whether it be perimeter shooting, better rebounding or team defense, but only those who have enough value in their strengths stick around long enough to fill the gaps in their games. It looks like Sims is on the way to doing that, but you never know ...

PostPosted: 08/20/17 11:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Clayk, you are one of the few people on this board that I make it my business to read anything that you write. I learn new facets about women's and girl's basketball that I do not get anywhere else.

Copper should get a copy of every Sky game from the 2017 season and study Quigley's shooting form.
If Copper can increase her field goal percentage and three point percentage she can become the star player that Stocks envision her to be.

PostPosted: 08/20/17 1:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Clayk, you are one of the few people on this board that I make it my business to read anything that you write. I learn new facets about women's and girl's basketball that I do not get anywhere else.

Copper should get a copy of every Sky game from the 2017 season and study Quigley's shooting form.
If Copper can increase her field goal percentage and three point percentage she can become the star player that Stocks envision her to be.

Thanks, RH ... I've been around long enough that I couldn't help but learn something, I guess.

Quigley is interesting too -- she made herself into a WNBA player, and I think a big step (for her as for others) was committing to physical conditioning so she could get the maximum out of her physical gifts. Other players, Anna DeForge springs to mind, made the same kind of post-college leap through hard work and refining their craft, and I just have a feeling Brittany McPhee might be the same kind of player.

Hopefully Copper is too, for her sake and because the game needs as many good players as possible.

PostPosted: 08/20/17 1:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
Libra_Girl------ wrote:
Steph "Curry" Dolson that 3 to sent the game to overtime was a deep 3 and Parker was right there to contest it.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- c-

The three where Parker contested ( but bit late ) was the 3 Dolson hit at about 11 seconds to go. The one that sent it into over time was the one I was referring too and in that one she was wide open with no one even close to her. That was on an in bounds play after Gray hit two foul shots ( after Dolsons first 3 ) putting the Sparks back up by three again. With 10.9 left.

Sims was actually playing really well offensively and her outside shots dropping justified any shots she might have taken from there. She did make a few ill advised drives a few times but other players have done that as well. Even that last shot was excusable. That was not why she was pulled. Her defensive coverage on the the last defensive play in over time involved multiple sequential mental errors. So when her spacing error came into play in the first over time Agler pulled her. She chose to set herself close to Parker when there was an entire side of the floor in which there was to operate. From there she could have either taken Parkers pass to the basket or created a large lane for Parker to drive on a return pass. Instead she positioned herself as to allow Vandersloot perfect defensive position to intercept the pass and a free lane to score.

I think her weakness might actually be court awareness in respect to spacing on both offense and defense. Thats what caused both of those mistakes. That is often something observers (fans ) have difficulty recognizing watching the game.
Rewatching the game and you're right the 3 that sent the game to ot Dolson was wide open for that. Parker had to stay with Allie and Sims didn't get to Steph on time but even if she did Dolson could have still shot over her cause she is taller than Sims. Parker could have got to Sloot on the drive to make the pass difficult with Gray right there to double. It wouldn't have be easy for Sloot to make a pass with both Gray and Parker on her.

myrtle

PostPosted: 08/20/17 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hangtyme24 wrote:
I really liked Chicago's commentators. The lady calls the game with so much passion and excitement for both teams, .

They are so much better than in the past!

- Amanda Gorman
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/21/17 8:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

adamj95 wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
i really like this male commentator but him saying that Parkers defense along with her offense makes her an MVP candidate is just hilarious Laughing Laughing

You really have something personal against the Gal. Every time a poster shows her credit or gives her an inch of positive remarks it never fails with your response saying how bad she is or what she doesn't deserve. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 08/21/17 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some Lynx fans get very upset whenever anyone other than Godsylla is mentioned as a possible MVP, or COY vote getter. Razz

WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 08/21/17 10:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
adamj95 wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:

You really have something personal against the Gal. Every time a poster shows her credit or gives her an inch of positive remarks it never fails with your response saying how bad she is or what she doesn't deserve. Rolling Eyes

It really is odd for many reasons, especially since year after year, she is one of few players whose stats highlight her as one of the most versatile players we've ever had in the league. A number of players have led in scoring, rebounding etc. but she is that rare player who even at this very moment ranks top 10 in all 5 primary statistical categories. She is not perfect...none of them are and may not have the "hop" she once had (year-round play, age and injuries do that to you) but she is darn good at a lot of things.

Btw, we were wondering if the number of dbl-dbls in the past game was a record, well according to Coach Agler, I think we at least got part of our answer: https://twitter.com/brian_agler/status/899737478814351361

Last edited by WfanFrJmp on 08/21/17 11:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
Rock Hard

PostPosted: 08/21/17 11:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When Leslie was playing with the Sparks she had her share of Haters. I believe it's the Sparks uniform that brings out this venom. Very Happy

PostPosted: 08/21/17 11:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

Mama says Parkers de Debbel.

WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 08/21/17 11:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Mama says Parkers de Debbel.

Bobby Boucher! Razz Laughing

Michelle89

PostPosted: 08/22/17 3:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
When Leslie was playing with the Sparks she had her share of Haters. I believe it's the Sparks uniform that brings out this venom. Very Happy

With Leslie is was probably her arrogance and her use of her elbows from time to time Laughing

With Parker its probably because she just doesnt bother to play defense or box out, sometimes just checks out of games and likes to whine and pout like a little child to the refs. A lot of similar negatives as Taurasi who has a lot of haters herself.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: