62%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 16

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 08/19/17 12:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
tfan wrote:
zune69 wrote:
B.S foul call on Clark's shot.

But that's modern basketball. Dive into a defender while shooting, even if they are stationary with their hands up and you will get a foul call.

yes, that move was perfected by Taurasi and Angel M., and is now the tradition being carried on by younger players like A. Thomas. [I would love to see this tradition broken by better officiating]

Sorry to pop your bubble, Myrtle but all basketball players have been performing that offensive move for decades. I do not believe NBA or WNBA refs will stop calling that a foul on the defensive player.

PostPosted: 08/19/17 1:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That kind of shit has made the NBA unwatchable for me. The Rockets/Thunder playoff series last season was brutal. Just Westbrook and Harden taking turns throwing themselves into people behind the 3pt line and being rewarded with a bajillion free throws.

I don't think it will ever get that bad in the WNBA though. The game is considerably slower and referees have more time to react to make the proper call. Also, I don't believe there is as much emphasis on offensive "freedom" for WNBA officials, but I could be wrong.

I just need them to not call the rip-through move a shooting foul. That is an absolutely bogus way to get free throws.

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 08/19/17 5:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Easy solution, get defenders to keep there hands off😉 There are some that get away with hacking the crap out of a shooter and we want that offense. Granted there are the floppers who run into the defender like Plum, Gray, Thomas etc but those surely are much easier to spot. One of the arguments I hear about our game is the number of bully athletes who lack shooting and passing skills and make the game ugly. The rules could be a little more specifically and universally used to clean up those instances. It wouldn't take long for the players and coaches to adjust.

Randy

PostPosted: 08/19/17 6:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So is Klop now in COY consideration? Wink

Suddenly the Storm are in 7th place in the playoff picture.

ClayK

PostPosted: 08/19/17 9:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
zune69 wrote:

But that's modern basketball. Dive into a defender while shooting, even if they are stationary with their hands up and you will get a foul call.

I wish it was just modern, but that's always been the case. Officials are better at calling, or not calling it, now, but back in the day, I finally resorted to trying to teach it to my guards since it always resulted in a foul. (I would go crazy on the bench, especially since I would talk to the refs before the game and point out particular players who would do it ...)

PostPosted: 08/19/17 10:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We saw more fire from Sue and Stewie than I can recall in some time. I believe one thing missing from our team is a player who plays with an edge. Our team is just so nice. I honestly can't remember ever seeing Sue get in the face of an opposing player before - she always voices her displeasure with something another player did at the refs (and yes, she spends quite a bit of time working the refs and it works in her favor often). Her frustration with a player seems to be related to whether a foul was called or not. Last night, she did not mince words or hesitate to get in Alex Montgomery's face after Montgomery spiked the ball off her chest/chin area. Watching the game when we got home, it *did* seem like the ball was thrown with more force and at a much higher height than is customary in those situations, but it doesn't appear it did more than graze her face/nose. Her sternum took the impact. I'm sure it scared her more than anything, but she did not hold back when Montgomery had some words for her right afterwards.

There was also a no-call on a Stewie missed 3 in which KML had to hold Stewie back because she wouldn't stop yelling at the ref. A week ago, i would have thought their emotions were a terrible sign, a losing team coming completely unraveled. A coaching change and 3-0 record casts the emotion in a more positive light.

Key Arena was rocking the past two games in a way I haven't heard in a long, long time. Down 11 with 6 minutes to play, some people left but most didn't. There were obviously tons of cheers for Plum early, but even late in the game when it was close, people couldn't seem to help cheering for a second when she did something good. Seattle fans are having a tough time letting her go.

During the post game high five line, Montgomery stopped Sue and appeared to be apologizing or at least checking if things were cool.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 08/19/17 11:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
zune69 wrote:

It's older than the never-called carry.

PostPosted: 08/19/17 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

threefrom60 wrote:
A week ago, i would have thought their emotions were a terrible sign, a losing team coming completely unraveled. A coaching change and 3-0 record casts the emotion in a more positive light.

That's a ridiculous way to judge the same behavior.

threefrom60

PostPosted: 08/19/17 10:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

merlina wrote:
threefrom60 wrote:
A week ago, i would have thought their emotions were a terrible sign, a losing team coming completely unraveled. A coaching change and 3-0 record casts the emotion in a more positive light.

That's a ridiculous way to judge the same behavior.

Okay.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: