RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Article on ND...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CBiebel

PostPosted: 08/09/17 3:47 am    ::: Article on ND... Reply Reply with quote

Hey, this time of year we'll take any news we can get! Wink

http://www.ndinsider.com/basketball/womens/notebook-ogunbowale-continues-to-set-the-gold-standard-for-notre/article_d71b471c-7951-11e7-8a05-73bf252335ee.html

IMO, unless a few things happen to fall into place (Turner comes back 100%, Shepard is granted the hardship waiver, and the newcomers to the team doing extremely well), I think this will be a "whatever" kind of year for ND. There's just not much experienced post depth this year. The first two I don't think will happen, but the third, who knows?

Delaying the overseas trip a year should be key for 2018-19 since it will allow the players who likely won't be able to play this year (IMO) a chance to get back into shape and/or learn how to play with the rest of the team.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 08/09/17 11:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Even in "whatever" kind of years, Muffet McGraw knows how to get the most out of her players.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/09/17 12:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not a big fan of McGraw and this article just reinforces that.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 08/09/17 1:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Agreed, I think she's over hyped because her team (with Diggins) beat Uconn a few times.
Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 08/09/17 7:11 pm    ::: Re: Article on ND... Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:

http://www.ndinsider.com/basketball/womens/notebook-ogunbowale-continues-to-set-the-gold-standard-for-notre/article_d71b471c-7951-11e7-8a05-73bf252335ee.html

IMO, unless a few things happen to fall into place (Turner comes back 100%, Shepard is granted the hardship waiver, and the newcomers to the team doing extremely well), I think this will be a "whatever" kind of year for ND. There's just not much experienced post depth this year. The first two I don't think will happen, but the third, who knows?

Delaying the overseas trip a year should be key for 2018-19 since it will allow the players who likely won't be able to play this year (IMO) a chance to get back into shape and/or learn how to play with the rest of the team.

I hope Turner comes back soon as she is one of my favorite players, Huskies or otherwise. As far as Shepard, why specifically would ND believe she be eligible for a hardship waiver?

PostPosted: 08/09/17 7:27 pm    ::: Re: Article on ND... Reply Reply with quote

Oldfandepot2 wrote:
CBiebel wrote:

I hope Turner comes back soon as she is one of my favorite players, Huskies or otherwise. As far as Shepard, why specifically would ND believe she be eligible for a hardship waiver?

Probably because these days the results of such applications seem pretty random and inexplicable, but are favorable more often than not, so why not try?

She went there to play for Yori, and given the circumstances of Yori's departure, people have gotten waivers for far less ( like for no apparent good reason).

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 08/09/17 7:48 pm    ::: Re: Article on ND... Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:
CBiebel wrote:

Probably because these days the results of such applications seem pretty random and inexplicable, but are favorable more often than not, so why not try?

She went there to play for Yori, and given the circumstances of Yori's departure, people have gotten waivers for far less ( like for no apparent good reason).

Thanks, Art.

PostPosted: 08/10/17 5:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
Shades wrote:

Agreed, I think she's over hyped because her team (with Diggins) beat Uconn a few times.

Seven times out of nine is "a few times?" Wow. Considering that McGraw is tied with Perretta for most wins against Auriemma of any coach (and hers were all since 2001, while Perretta has only won 2 of his 11 since 1994)

Yeah, the NC that she has as well as the record when not playing UConn is 208-9 (.959) over the last 6 years, and ND's 63-2 conference record since joining the ACC doesn't mean much at all.

You suggest it was just because of Diggins that ND was successful? (Four of her 11 wins against UConn were before Diggins, for the record) Well, here's a questio for you: If UConn hadn't had Stewart, would UConn have been as dominant over ND the last 5 years? Be honest.

People wonder why many rag on Women's Basketball. Here it is: If no other coach is equal to the one team that has dominated the sport, then that coach is obviously "overhyped." In what other sport would a coach who goes 208-16 (.929) over 6 years and convincingly won her conference four years in a row be called "overhyped?" Seriously.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 08/10/17 5:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

I don't get it. What exactly did she say in the article that would have been that different from pretty much any other coach?

Showing pride in her players competing for the National Team? Suggesting that players in the running for that could be All American caliber? Nope, no one else would do that.

Applying for an unlikely (though theoretically possible) hardship waiver when your own team is severely depleted at that position while admitting that it isn't likely? Yeah, I'm sure no other coach would do that.

The comments about the transfers? Okay, maybe this would be different, but it's pretty much more of a ND thing. Believe it or not, it's kind of true. Traditionally ND doesn't take many transfers (particularly scholarship players). The two on the current team are the only scholarship ones I can recall ever in the sport (there was a player who was an academic transfer many years ago who later walked on at ND). Until a few years ago, the same was true for the Men's Basketball team. Unless I'm missing something, they're extremely rare in Football, too (I think Pat Eilers transferred (nonscholarship at first) from Yale many years ago). Having scholarship players transferring into ND is a very recent thing, generally speaking.

So that's not her being obnoxious. That's her stating the way the school generally is. In fact, when the Men's BBall team did have a transfer a few years ago, I was shocked to learn that it had happened.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 08/10/17 6:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:
Shades wrote:

I don't get it. What exactly did she say in the article that would have been that different from pretty much any other coach?

Showing pride in her players competing for the National Team? Suggesting that players in the running for that could be All American caliber? Nope, no one else would do that.

Applying for an unlikely (though theoretically possible) hardship waiver when your own team is severely depleted at that position while admitting that it isn't likely? Yeah, I'm sure no other coach would do that.

The comments about the transfers? Okay, maybe this would be different, but it's pretty much more of a ND thing. Believe it or not, it's kind of true. Traditionally ND doesn't take many transfers (particularly scholarship players). The two on the current team are the only scholarship ones I can recall ever in the sport (there was a player who was an academic transfer many years ago who later walked on at ND). Until a few years ago, the same was true for the Men's Basketball team. Unless I'm missing something, they're extremely rare in Football, too (I think Pat Eilers transferred (nonscholarship at first) from Yale many years ago). Having scholarship players transferring into ND is a very recent thing, generally speaking.

So that's not her being obnoxious. That's her stating the way the school generally is. In fact, when the Men's BBall team did have a transfer a few years ago, I was shocked to learn that it had happened.

I don't recall Muffet ever having a transfer come in. Who was the player?

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Howee

PostPosted: 08/11/17 10:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:
Here it is: If no other coach is equal to the one team that has dominated the sport, then that coach is obviously "overhyped." In what other sport would a coach who goes 208-16 (.929) over 6 years and convincingly won her conference four years in a row be called "overhyped?" Seriously.

LOL, CB.....you forget Reb's is loaded with 'haters'. McGraw is one of the all-time greats in her sport. Jealousy can't change that reality, love her not.

PostPosted: 08/12/17 4:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
CBiebel wrote:
Shades wrote:

I couldn't remember her name, so I went through the roster to find her (figures she was near the end of the alphabet):

Anne Weese (JC transfer to ND (not as a scholarship player. She was a walkon)):

http://www.und.com/sports/w-baskbl/mtt/anne_weese_90131.html

CBiebel

PostPosted: 08/12/17 4:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
CBiebel wrote:
Here it is: If no other coach is equal to the one team that has dominated the sport, then that coach is obviously "overhyped." In what other sport would a coach who goes 208-16 (.929) over 6 years and convincingly won her conference four years in a row be called "overhyped?" Seriously.

LOL, CB.....you forget Reb's is loaded with 'haters'. McGraw is one of the all-time greats in her sport. Jealousy can't change that reality, love her not.

You don't have to like a coach to respect them. I personally don't like Mulkey, but I won't dispute anyone calling her a great coach. I know that I never consider a game against Baylor a sure win.

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 08/12/17 8:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Now you've crossed the line, had throw my blanket at that one😂 Jk

MM is a fine coach, how many coaches get to go to the final four , let alone that many times.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 08/12/17 9:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
CBiebel wrote:
Shades wrote:

I couldn't remember her name, so I went through the roster to find her (figures she was near the end of the alphabet):

Anne Weese (JC transfer to ND (not as a scholarship player. She was a walkon)):

http://www.und.com/sports/w-baskbl/mtt/anne_weese_90131.html

Thanks. I can't say that I actually remember her, but there is something familiar.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 08/16/17 1:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Random ND thoughts...

Muffet is one of the best minds in the game. She can strategize and has Plans A, B, C, and D, at the very least. Her players, for the majority, get better under her tutelage.

Players like Novosel, Peters, Achonwa, etc. were not elite high school talent (unlike Loyd, who was), yet they improved tremendously under her watch (and were first round draft picks). McBride was a Top 20/25 recruit who improved by leaps and bounds.

Muffet loves a four-out, one-in style or having a stretch four who can open up the paint for her dominant post.

What was surprising to me was Boley's transfer. She is very much a Muffet-type of player, and she would have seen big minutes this year (with Turner's injury), though she played quite a bit as a freshman.

Assuming Turner is out for the year (or most of it), Muffet will have her work cut out for her in the ACC. Duke returns one of the best backcourts in the country with Lexie Brown and Rebecca Greenwell. Losing Chidom/Cooper hurts, but getting the Fresno State transfer helps a LOT. Louisville lost Moore, but returns Durr, Hines-Allen, and a lot of young, talented players.

It will be curious to see what Muffet does with her lineup. Is it Thompson/Mabrey/Ogunbowale/Young/Westbeld? Does a freshman post make it into the starting lineup?

Still, over the years, I have learned to never bet against Muffet McGraw and her ability to get the most out of her players.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/16/17 1:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Random ND thoughts...

Muffet is one of the best minds in the game. She can strategize and has Plans A, B, C, and D, at the very least. Her players, for the majority, get better under her tutelage.

Players like Novosel, Peters, Achonwa, etc. were not elite high school talent (unlike Loyd, who was), yet they improved tremendously under her watch (and were first round draft picks). McBride was a Top 20/25 recruit who improved by leaps and bounds.

Muffet loves a four-out, one-in style or having a stretch four who can open up the paint for her dominant post.

What was surprising to me was Boley's transfer. She is very much a Muffet-type of player, and she would have seen big minutes this year (with Turner's injury), though she played quite a bit as a freshman.

Assuming Turner is out for the year (or most of it), Muffet will have her work cut out for her in the ACC. Duke returns one of the best backcourts in the country with Lexie Brown and Rebecca Greenwell. Losing Chidom/Cooper hurts, but getting the Fresno State transfer helps a LOT. Louisville lost Moore, but returns Durr, Hines-Allen, and a lot of young, talented players.

It will be curious to see what Muffet does with her lineup. Is it Thompson/Mabrey/Ogunbowale/Young/Westbeld? Does a freshman post make it into the starting lineup?

Still, over the years, I have learned to never bet against Muffet McGraw and her ability to get the most out of her players.

The results of Jessica Shephards waiver to play immediately will be a huge factor for ND ! She changes the whole dynamic with turner out if she is indeed out !

PostPosted: 08/16/17 9:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Random ND thoughts...

That line-up you suggest is extremely small. While I think that line-up will be seen from time to time, I think either redshirt senior Nelson or true freshman Vaughn will start usually.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: