RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Comets Roster On Opening Day
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MT_Swoopes

PostPosted: 04/23/05 2:57 pm    ::: Comets Roster On Opening Day Reply Reply with quote

As of now, this is the roster I would like to see on opening day. Of course, there is still the pre-season to see how certain players stack up. However, there are players that are on the roster that shouldn't be in the league.

I would like to see Dant get a chance, unless she looks horrible during the pre-season. She has the strength, speed, size, defensive tenacity and shooting range.

I'm also not sure how having these particular players will affect the salary cap.

S= Starter
R= Reserve

Guards
S - Janeth Arcain 5-11
R- Dominique Canty 5-9
R- Jenni Dant 5-10
R- Roneeka Hodges 5-11
S- Sheila Lambert 5-7

Wings/Posts
R- Adrienne Goodson 5-11
R- Pollyanna Johns Kimbrough 6-3
R- Sancho Lyttle 6-4
S- Tari Phillips 6-1
S- Michelle Snow 6-5
S- Sheryl Swoopes 6-0
R- Kristen Rasmussen 6-2
IL - Tina Thompson 6-2

I have my reservations about Tari starting, because of the shape she is in right now. However, I trust that she will be in shape. If she isn't, then she could be replaced by Sancho.

BCBG25

PostPosted: 04/23/05 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Did you actually see Tari to know what shape she's in?

PostPosted: 04/23/05 3:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think I am pretty much on the same page as you MT, however, there is the issue of signing PJK, which I feel is a much better idea than signing Tiffani, yet hasn't happened. PJK might not want to come back.

I think that with Tari, Sancho, Snow, and Sheryl, our rebounding should be pretty solid from the front line. Janeth is also a decent rebounder from the guard spot. Hopefully that can be a strong point we can build off of - limiting offensive rebounds and playing typical strong Comet defense.

My only reservation is with Lambert as a starter, but I will hold off any real judgement until I see if she has progressed from last season because she did show promise, just in a sort of schizo sorta way. Better decision making and ball-handling would be one giant step ahead for Lambert is becoming a true starting PG in the league. I still would have liked to see the team go out and try to get a better PG prospect. Perhaps Van has some faith in Sheila.

PostPosted: 04/23/05 3:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:

I don't know what kind of shape she's in, but Tari looks a lot better than she did this time last year.
MT_Swoopes

PostPosted: 04/23/05 6:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:

No. I've been informed by others who have seen her at the draft party of what kind of shape she's in.

Last edited by MT_Swoopes on 04/23/05 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 04/23/05 6:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MT_Swoopes wrote:
BCBG25 wrote:

No. I've been informed by others who have seen her at the draft party of what kind of shape she's in. Why?

Well that's what I was afraid of. Doesn't she play overseas in the offseason? Like I got room to talk, but shit. Pay me 60K to play with a ball I'd at least do some laps and stay on a damn diet. Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: 04/23/05 6:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
Doesn't she play overseas in the offseason?

I'm not sure if she did, this year.

BCBG25

PostPosted: 04/23/05 8:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Apparently Dexter thinks otherwise. Interesting how opinions are different on the matter...
BTW, Jammer, FYI she didn't play overseas for two reasons:
1. To attend her mother's funeral;
2. Stay with her family.
She's gonna be alright, but it's unbelievable that Comets fans are giving her shit even before the freaking training camps started. Can't you at least wait to see a preseason game and form your own opinion?

PostPosted: 04/23/05 9:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
Apparently Dexter thinks otherwise. Interesting how opinions are different on the matter...
2. Stay with her family.
She's gonna be alright, but it's unbelievable that Comets fans are giving her shit even before the freaking tranining camps started. Can't you at least wait to see a preseason game and form your own opinion?

BCBG. I've been meaning to ask you a question. What do you like about Tari? You're a pretty good judge of basketball talent. I think I remember when the trade went down you said something about her being your favorite player. That's a pretty heavy endorsement. If it's the case, why? If you don't mind my asking. Obviously, it matters to me at this point.

And hold the mustard, if possible. Smile

PostPosted: 04/23/05 9:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG, I know this is a deja vu, but really I think you are giving people a harder time than necessary. I think that the concern of Tari's playing shape is a real concern. It is a concern of every ~35 year old basketball player, especially one who didn't play this offseason and who didn't play a complete season last summer. Whether or not Tari is in great condition is unknown to me, but I am concerned with her physical condition.

I know you don't like that Tari is a Comet, and I know you don't like a collection of Comet fans, but I think you are going a tad overboard - which is your perogative. I guess I would just say let the Comet fans have their own beef with Tari, and when she comes through this year and controls the boards and plays a huge piece in bringing Houston back to a competitive level, throw it in their face then.

I for one and extremely excited to see a rejuvenated, excited, kick-ass Tari this season, but I would be lying to say that I am not concerned with her conditioning. Hopefully she throws my concerns right back in my face too.

PostPosted: 04/23/05 9:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
2. Stay with her family.
She's gonna be alright, but it's unbelievable that Comets fans are giving her shit even before the freaking tranining camps started. Can't you at least wait to see a preseason game and form your own opinion?

Tari was in Italy last season for a few games but she left to tryout for the olympic team.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/23/05 9:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MT_Swoopes wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:
Doesn't she play overseas in the offseason?

I'm not sure if she did, this year.

Even when she's played overseas she's had issues with conditioning in the early season.

PostPosted: 04/23/05 9:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Alepp, it wasn't a demonstration of concern. It was an afirmation that Tari is in bad shape based on what other people said after seeing her in a party or wherever they saw her. Please, if said people had seen her in a game situation, I would take it more seriously. I think you guys are channeling your frustration over #7 not being able to play and holding that against Tari. She was pretty good for the Liberty, but last year, it wasn't her fault. She takes her sweet time to get in shape after she gets home from a season overseas, but I believe this year was a little bit different. A motivated Tari is dangerous. Just ask Linda Hargrove.

And yes, overkill is an habit of mine when it comes to Comets fans. What can I say...

PostPosted: 04/23/05 9:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
Tari? You're a pretty good judge of basketball talent. I think I remember when the trade went down you said something about her being your favorite player. That's a pretty heavy endorsement. If it's the case, why? If you don't mind my asking. Obviously, it matters to me at this point.

And hold the mustard, if possible. Smile

Because she's talented, she's fiery and fun to watch. Also, she never let people bring her down by saying she's undersized.
Some players are just that, fun and funny to watch.
You know a player is special when other teams' fans hate her with the same passion you love her.
That's Tari.

PostPosted: 04/23/05 10:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
I think you guys are channeling your frustration over #7 not being able to play and holding that against Tari.

not that anyone asked me, but this is the vibe i've been getting as well, intended or not. you'd think poor tari was coming to you from the sparks.

PostPosted: 04/23/05 10:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Alepp03 wrote:
My only reservation is with Lambert as a starter, but I will hold off any real judgement until I see if she has progressed from last season because she did show promise, just in a sort of schizo sorta way. .

I wonder if we could do a Lambert for Chandi Jones swap since Laimbeer is looking for a point guard who can actually shoot/score. Though i guess he didn't play Sheila very much during the championship year so maybe he doesn't care for her game.

I still think Jones can become an elite 2 guard in the league if given the right opportunity.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 04/23/05 10:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sebibb wrote:
BCBG25 wrote:
I think you guys are channeling your frustration over #7 not being able to play and holding that against Tari.

not that anyone asked me, but this is the vibe i've been getting as well, intended or not. you'd think poor tari was coming to you from the sparks.

Yeah that's a pretty specific psychoanalysis, ladies, to be attributing to a group of people.

I just want the woman to come into the season in shape and, I don't know if this bolsters your diagnosis but, yeah I wouldn't care about Tari's condition half as much if Tina Thomson wasn't with child. One of my frustrations with the league (it applies to other pro sports as well) is the idea that while we're sitting here with the hopes and dreams of our team's season bursting forth, key players on our teams are staring at the calander with a mouthful of twinkies trying to figure out how they're going to fit into a basketball uniform by June.

It's not a Tari thing, it's more a general thing. But in this case, Tari is the concern because she's supposed to be our starting PF this season. I take it seriously. Obviously the rest of you take this stuff even more seriously than I do. I just wish that all these players, especially the established stars, took their careers as pro athletes in the WNBA as seriously as a young doctor or stock broker or other professional takes his or her career.

These players are supposed to fill pro sports arenas with tens of thousands of adoring fans. People are supposed to be able to admire these athletes and their commitment etc. The league is a hard sell anyway. Out of shape players make it look like even the athletes aren't taking the WNBA seriously.

PostPosted: 04/24/05 12:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

okay, calm down, jammer. i was talking about a vibe, and if i could attribute it to something more precise, i woulda called it, well, something more precise, like "psychoanalysis." now mt swoopes, respectable guy that he is, hasn't actually seen tari - he's relying on second-hand accounts. neither have you, i might add, but you've got the woman crashed in front of the tv eating twinkies, for pete's sake. c'mon, fella - let's get with reality. i don't see all this angst over goodie and what her condition might be, or anyone else, for that matter. and speaking of twinkies, isn't it swoopes who's the sugar junkie? have you checked on her blood-sugar count lately?

PostPosted: 04/24/05 1:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3150218
Chancellor's ready to rumble
April 24, 2005, 1:06AM

"If there's anything this TV job has done for me," Chancellor said Saturday, "I have seen every team in this (NBA) league play.

"And I've seen every offense known to mankind. And some of them we're going to use."

Smoovie

PostPosted: 04/24/05 3:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sebibb wrote:
BCBG25 wrote:

I guess I must be missing something or just totally out of the loop. But, as for me Tari is a Comet, PERIOD. I'll save my judgement until she steps on the court. All I know is, she's never been a scrub. I'll welcome her. In fact I'm working on a Tari poster.

Besides scrubs, there's only one player in the league that I would never want to see in a Comet uniform, and everybody knows who that is.

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.•´*~Smoov
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 04/24/05 4:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sebibb wrote:
okay, calm down, jammer. i was talking about a vibe, and if i could attribute it to something more precise, i woulda called it, well, something more precise, like "psychoanalysis." now mt swoopes, respectable guy that he is, hasn't actually seen tari - he's relying on second-hand accounts. neither have you, i might add, but you've got the woman crashed in front of the tv eating twinkies, for pete's sake. c'mon, fella - let's get with reality. i don't see all this angst over goodie and what her condition might be, or anyone else, for that matter. and speaking of twinkies, isn't it swoopes who's the sugar junkie? have you checked on her blood-sugar count lately?

Not to worry, Bibb, Her Majesty remains majestically svelt as usual, I'm sure. Tari's been known, on the other hand, if you know what I mean. People are concerned.

Whatever MT of MSNBC says, I'll sign off on it. Tari's a cow, you can bet the ranch dressing on it... if you can get it away from her.

Tari! Listen to the jammer, honey. Get yer FFA up off the couch you're a Comet not a planet. Turn off Judge Judy, put the Twinkies down the garbage disposal so you can't change your mind later, put some sneakers on (I know someone else has to tie them) get outside and start trying to see if you can induce sweating by any means OTHER than watching the last 2 minutes of Dominos half hour delivery deadline tick away.

Shocked

PostPosted: 04/24/05 5:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
And yes, overkill is an habit of mine when it comes to Comets fans. What can I say...

DivAAA

PostPosted: 04/24/05 6:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MT is a Comet fan, who is worried about what is best for his team. I believe that was the point of his post. He's not doing anything that any other fan doesn't do for their own team. I don't think the point was to criticize her. I've never gotten any animosity from him towards Tari Phillips. It becomes so easy to lump all Comet fans in a box, when it comes to their feelings towards Tari.

She isn't a Liberty anymore. Let her be the Comet fans problem for better or worse. We must move on with the team we have in NY.

Let's not start a trend, in which everytime a poster criticizes a player on their team, they must justify themselves to a fan of the former team. Comet fans should be allowed to criticize Rasmussen without the justification to Fever fans; Goodson to Silver Star fans, etc.

LoveJanet

PostPosted: 04/24/05 6:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DivAAA wrote:
MT is a Comet fan, who is worried about what is best for his team. I believe that was the point of his post. He's not doing anything that any other fan doesn't do for their own team. I don't think the point was to criticize her. I've never gotten any animosity from him towards Tari Phillips. It becomes so easy to lump all Comet fans in a box, when it comes to their feelings towards Tari.

She isn't a Liberty anymore. Let her be the Comet fans problem for better or worse. We must move on with the team we have in NY.

Let's not start a trend, in which everytime a poster criticizes a player on their team, they must justify themselves to a fan of the former team. Comet fans should be allowed to criticize Rasmussen without the justification to Fever fans; Goodson to Silver Star fans, etc.

I'm sayin'. I thought the point of his post was to discuss the Comets roster. Instead, there are 20 replies about one player on the roster, who he has as starting. I think Alepp has been the only one to respond to the original post with the intent of this subject.

I've seen Marlon show real criticism towards Coop, Swoopes, Arcain and Thompson over the years. I've heard the same concern about Cooper at times or two during the offseason. No one knew for sure, but putting it out on a message board for other Comet fans to hear could raise the discussion as to whether they know the same to be true or not. Heaven forbid, someone raises the same concern about Tari Phillips, the New York Liberty. Oh, I mean, Houston Comet.

I guess Comet fans are going to have a difficult time critiquing their own team, this summer with the genuine intentions of seeing the team succeed. While justifying themselves to some, who couldn't give to sh!ts about the team.

4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 04/24/05 6:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was at the Comets Draft Party and I actually spoke to Tari three times and the woman did not look like someone who had been sitting on a couch eating Twinkies...in other words, she didn't look like Tiff Johnson, who did play overseas this offseason.

I don't know who said she looked bad, but she was much trimmer than I expected her to be. I always thought of her as a wide body under the basket, but the woman I talked to and had sign an autograph looked more in the non-pregnant Tina Thompson vein, than the over-weight, out-of-shape variety.

I certainly didn't take a poll of the people there to see if they were glad she was on our team, but everyone seemed to want to meet her and welcome her. She is probably the only one that can verify any of this and if any of you Lib posters that actually know Tari can communicate with her, maybe she will tell you how she feels about the trade and playing in Houston.

I can't speak to her conditioning, but she is a pro and is probably ready to redeem her career after last year's unfortunate experience.

WE LOVE YOU TARI...YOU CAN BANG ON THE BOARDS AT THE TOYOTA CENTER FOR AS LONG AS YOU ARE ABLE.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: