RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Are you a Season Ticket Holder?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
caune

PostPosted: 08/12/17 9:31 am    ::: Are you a Season Ticket Holder? Reply Reply with quote

I wanted to open this conversation to see who is a STH, why or whether you are renewing and what makes your experience worth shelling out a chunk of money way before the next season starts

I, after 21 seasons, have not renewed due to many factors but mostly neglect from the organization. I have heard that there are others like me in other cities including Minnesota. True? rumor?

I'm still a huge fan of the W and the Mercury, but the games aren't fun anymore and there are many factors that contribute to that, but for me personally the refs have made the game unwatchable without huge quantities of alcohol lol, and a girl has to drive home so that's a no-no, and the Mercury organization got rid of Kip Heldt the game entertainment genius and Amber Cox the friendliest and most responsive executive in the business. Their absence really shows on game days.

Any thoughts?

PostPosted: 08/12/17 9:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am a Dream STH and I am renewing

PostPosted: 08/12/17 10:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You know my thoughts. The callousness of the current Mercury regime led to mmaniac and I not renewing. I would like to hear from others regarding the perks offered and what prompted you to renew....or what pissed you off and made you not renew.

PostPosted: 08/12/17 10:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was a season ticket holder for 11 seasons with the Sparks. I did not renew last year due to the game experience. Frequently there was only one concession stand opened in the entire arena, and it was staffed with the slowest workers possible. If you got in line prior to tip off, you were lucky to get to your seat by the start of the second quarter. The DJ during the game was loud and annoying. People continually jumped seats, and we often found people in our seats. Many times they wondered why we couldn't just sit somewhere else.

We had a very good sales person handling our account, but when he left, we had a series of people, one worse than the next. The owner prior to Magic and his team really hurt the operation.

I love the Sparks, and watch every game on TV or my laptop, but I would not want to be a ticket holder anymore. (Plus I miss Lil Mopey!)

Randy

PostPosted: 08/12/17 10:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have been a STH for several years. I always renewed as early as possible to get the best deal. I don't now plan to renew for a lot of reasons, none related to how the team is playing this year or the new arena which is more convenient for me. I've had to miss a lot of games and family members would rather go to watch the other teams in town. The price increases haven't helped either - would cost more than double to get tickets and parking compared to what I originally paid and you don't save much, if anything, by buying a ST. Bottom line - economics of going game by game are a lot better for me now.

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 08/12/17 10:56 am    ::: Re: Are you a Season Ticket Holder? Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
I wanted to open this conversation to see who is a STH, why or whether you are renewing and what makes your experience worth shelling out a chunk of money way before the next season starts

I, after 21 seasons, have not renewed due to many factors but mostly neglect from the organization. I have heard that there are others like me in other cities including Minnesota. True? rumor?

I'm still a huge fan of the W and the Mercury, but the games aren't fun anymore and there are many factors that contribute to that, but for me personally the refs have made the game unwatchable without huge quantities of alcohol lol, and a girl has to drive home so that's a no-no, and the Mercury organization got rid of Kip Heldt the game entertainment genius and Amber Cox the friendliest and most responsive executive in the business. Their absence really shows on game days.

Any thoughts?

The Sun are reaping the benefits of Amber Cox. I went to some Sun games this year and they're much more enjoyable than years past. The entire arena has a different vibe to it.

Huskie

PostPosted: 08/12/17 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jewelsongs wrote:
The DJ during the game was loud and annoying.

We had a very good sales person handling our account, but when he left, we had a series of people, one worse than the next. The owner prior to Magic and his team really hurt the operation.

When we would road trip to LA we couldn't stand the DJ either. So, what did the Mercury add this year?

I also hear you re: your ticket rep. A good one goes a long way to make the experience better. But with those skills they typically move on to a better job elsewhere quickly.

PostPosted: 08/12/17 11:58 am    ::: Re: Are you a Season Ticket Holder? Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
caune wrote:

Any thoughts?

The Sun are reaping the benefits of Amber Cox. I went to some Sun games this year and they're much more enjoyable than years past. The entire arena has a different vibe to it.

x_____________________________

merlina

PostPosted: 08/12/17 12:13 pm    ::: Re: Are you a Season Ticket Holder? Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:

Any thoughts?

I've been a Storm STH for seven years and am considering not renewing. In the Storm fan FB group, there was a long thread about this topic right before the announcement about Boucek. Many people there were considering not renewing - including some who have had them for the team's whole history.

The in-game experience in terms of entertainment has deteriorated, but truthfully I'm just as happy looking at my phone during breaks. Other people have said that they resent not getting as many free t-shirts and the players aren't as accessible. I guess the players used to throw t-shirts after games and don't do that anymore, but I almost never stay after games. There were also no games with giveaways this year - or maybe one t-shirt giveaway at the beginning of the season? There used to be several each year - lunch boxes, bobbleheads, etc.

I wish there were more perks that came with being a season ticket holder. One year I got a pen, and seriously that was the single best perk I have ever gotten from the Storm (not a t-shirt person)! Last year there was an open practice, and I also loved that. I'm not a big fan of the party-type events.

Of course, what most people complained about most is the team performance. And on top of all this, prices went up by about 10%. The coaching change has me more inclined to renew. I'm happy with my seat, and $400/season still seems like a good deal.

This is the first year I've heard so many STHs talk about not renewing, but I've also heard they've had a big increase in season ticket sales.

toad455

PostPosted: 08/12/17 12:21 pm    ::: Re: Are you a Season Ticket Holder? Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:
caune wrote:

Any thoughts?

The few games I've seen on TV look like it's a blast to be there. And the Sun might be the most exciting team to watch in the league this season. Seriously considering making a trip up there to catch a game(especially if they make the WNBA Finals).

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Randy

PostPosted: 08/12/17 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I recall seeing a "My Pillow" promo advertised for one of the Sun games. Not sure if they got the pillow or just a discount on one. Thought it was odd because My Pillow is a MN company.

What is My Pillow you ask? They advertise constantly on CNBC.

https://www.mypillow.com/?gclid=CMqg84ae0tUCFUc7gQodHV0Mmw?gclid=CMqg84ae0tUCFUc7gQodHV0Mmw

Shades

PostPosted: 08/12/17 1:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
I recall seeing a "My Pillow" promo advertised for one of the Sun games. Not sure if they got the pillow or just a discount on one. Thought it was odd because My Pillow is a MN company.

What is My Pillow you ask? They advertise constantly on CNBC.

https://www.mypillow.com/?gclid=CMqg84ae0tUCFUc7gQodHV0Mmw?gclid=CMqg84ae0tUCFUc7gQodHV0Mmw

The owner guy always exudes Minnesota pride in the local commercials shown here. I tried to get some answers on twitter as to why they sponsor the Sun instead of the Lynx, but nobody's talking.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
MuneravenMN
Champion Tipster

PostPosted: 08/12/17 1:12 pm    ::: Count Me Out Reply Reply with quote

We had season tickets for years, then had to give them up for two seasons, and came back this year. We won't ever sign up again. Why?

1. The price is outrageous when you factor it all in. Over $100 per game for two people and that is with no overpriced food. Tickets cost way too much.
2. There are no meaningful perks to being a STH anymore. It used to feel like we were a little part of the team. Now it feels like we are a mailing list for more requests for money.
3. The league largely feels like amateur hour in how they do things. Not the players, but the league around them.
4. Too many boring games. Too many bad teams.
5. Fan interest online has waned (like here).

We used to feel like being a WNBA STH was the most awesome thing. My guitar room downstairs is filled with bobble heads, signed sneakers, posters, towels, balls. That feeling is gone. I have asked myself a lot "Is it just me?" But I am pretty sure this is the result of choices by the WNBA and the Lynx. STHs are just a cash cow...one they don't think needs feeding.

PostPosted: 08/12/17 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes, because I am a glutton for punishment.

The upper people in the Sky organization are incompetent as fuck, but mostly everyone else is good people and they're very willing to accommodate us. Getting to know the players and coaches is a lot of fun. Free food is fun. Basketball is fun. The product is, for what it's worth, presented well, and I always have a good time, so that's good enough reason for me to have season tickets.

Not sure about renewing yet. Wintrust Arena is in an awful location for me and I don't know what I'm going to be doing with school/internships next summer. A ton of other Sky STH who live in the suburbs have already decided that they're not renewing. I'm like 60/40 on going back at the moment, so if anyone wants to prod me, now would be the time.

Randy

PostPosted: 08/12/17 1:30 pm    ::: Re: Count Me Out Reply Reply with quote

MuneravenMN wrote:
We had season tickets for years, then had to give them up for two seasons, and came back this year. We won't ever sign up again. Why?

2. There are no meaningful perks to being a STH anymore. It used to feel like we were a little part of the team. Now it feels like we are a mailing list for more requests for money.

A lot of churches are like that with similar results.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/12/17 1:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sad to hear a lot of the comments in this thread. A lot of major sports can get away with treating their base like crap because there are people waiting in line to hand over their money instead if the first group walk away, but a niche league like the WNBA can't afford to alienate their small core of diehards. There are only so many people who give a shit about this league, and only so many who look likely to for the forseeable future. It's really a shame that so many people are thinking about walking away.

And that LA in-arena announcer is annoying as fuck through a computer screen from several thousand miles away. I can totally understand that being excruciating in person.

PostPosted: 08/12/17 2:10 pm    ::: Re: Are you a Season Ticket Holder? Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:

Any thoughts?

This surprises me since I always heard Phoenix was one of the good ones.

I had season tickets in Indianapolis when I lived there but gave them up when I moved to a city without a WNBA team. I still try to get to as many games as possible. I did hear a lot of Fever season ticket holders gave theirs up when Catchings retired.

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 08/12/17 2:19 pm    ::: Re: Are you a Season Ticket Holder? Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:
caune wrote:

Any thoughts?

The few games I've seen on TV look like it's a blast to be there. And the Sun might be the most exciting team to watch in the league this season. Seriously considering making a trip up there to catch a game(especially if they make the WNBA Finals).

I was at the last game against Seattle and trust me, the arena was full, and very very loud. Very energetic atmosphere, tons of t-shirt tossing throughout the entire game. The mascot has a mobile multi-bazooka that shoots out t-shirts to the upper levels. They have a lot of fun and entertaining videos on the Jumbotron during timeouts. The dance team is about the worst I've ever seen though but other than that, it's awesome. It also helps when the team is playing great. If I could be, I'd be a season ticket holder. They don't do much in the give-away's department anymore though. But i don't think any team does. But if your one to go to games to get the stupid give-always, and get angry and don't renew season tickets because they don't do give-aways anymore, than thats their problem. We go for the games and to cheer on the players. I don't give a shit about giveaways. Never have. At the Sun game tonight, they're having specials $3 beer and $3 wine and $2 giant chocolate bars. Amber Cox really knows how to get people in the arena. Last game against Seattle, it was $2 hotdog night and the hotdogs there are massive. Mohegan Sun arena knows how to put on a show.

merlina

PostPosted: 08/12/17 2:34 pm    ::: Re: Are you a Season Ticket Holder? Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
toad455 wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:
caune wrote:

Any thoughts?

I was at the last game against Seattle and trust me, the arena was full, and very very loud. Very energetic atmosphere, tons of t-shirt tossing throughout the entire game. The mascot has a mobile multi-bazooka that shoots out t-shirts to the upper levels. They have a lot of fun and entertaining videos on the Jumbotron during timeouts. The dance team is about the worst I've ever seen though but other than that, it's awesome. It also helps when the team is playing great. If I could be, I'd be a season ticket holder. They don't do much in the give-away's department anymore though. But i don't think any team does. But if your one to go to games to get the stupid give-always, and get angry and don't renew season tickets because they don't do give-aways anymore, than thats their problem. We go for the games and to cheer on the players. I don't give a shit about giveaways. Never have. At the Sun game tonight, they're having specials $3 beer and $3 wine and $2 giant chocolate bars. Amber Cox really knows how to get people in the arena. Last game against Seattle, it was $2 hotdog night and the hotdogs there are massive. Mohegan Sun arena knows how to put on a show.

I'm not interested in the giveaways (except the pen I mentioned), but i still think they're important, especially for season ticket holders. The product these teams sell is game tickets - people who buy tickets to every single game for years on end should be rewarded in some way other than just the ticket discount. The discount in Seattle is not that great. There are always a few games that I can't go to, and the tickets are not easy to sell so I end up giving them away. The discount is probably offset by the money lost on unused tickets. They could buy a lot more loyalty from me with a single seat upgrade or parking pass each year - or even less often than once a year. And a $2 hotdog night would be nice. They are $8 at Keyarena and they taste like crap compared to the ones you can get at Costco with a soda for $1.50.

Lib Fan

PostPosted: 08/12/17 2:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes I am
Yes I will !

Lib Fan

PostPosted: 08/12/17 2:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes I am
Yes I will !

WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 08/12/17 2:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not because I've never lived in a WNBA city. I'm from metro Atlanta but have not resided there since before the league started. I do try to go to games when I'm home visiting my family and spent a number of years in the midwest where I could hop over to Fever games and even went to check out Chicago. I've been to games in DC as well. I would love to be a STH so I could support the league more tangibly. We need more teams in other cities but I understand that we are not quite ready to expand just yet... My goodness, how I miss the Detroit Shock! *le sigh* Laughing

threadkiller1201

PostPosted: 08/12/17 10:32 pm    ::: Re: Are you a Season Ticket Holder? Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:

Any thoughts?

I am a season ticket-holder and I am definitely renewing.

I mainly renew because I want to support women' sports, and professional women's sports. I want the WNBA to be successful and to continue on. The fact that the games are extremely fun are a bonus. I personally don't care about the perks.

Last edited by threadkiller1201 on 08/12/17 11:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
caune

PostPosted: 08/12/17 11:40 pm    ::: Re: Are you a Season Ticket Holder? Reply Reply with quote

threadkiller1201 wrote:
caune wrote:

Any thoughts?

I am a season ticket-holder and I am definitely renewing.

I mainly renew because I want to support women' sports, and professional women's sports. I want the WNBA to be successful and to continue on. The fact that the games are extremely fun are a bonus. I don't care about the perks.

I would love to be able to support them just because I love womens sports but I gave up corporate America for the non profit world and my disposable income has become very precious. I don't care to give it to an organization that doesn't even try to care. I will still support the W, I will get League Pass, I will buy merchandise, even attend a few Mercury games but that's it.

PostPosted: 08/12/17 11:48 pm    ::: Re: Are you a Season Ticket Holder? Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:

This surprises me since I always heard Phoenix was one of the good ones.

Was.
We lost Amber Cox who was the best GM, she just really is able to connect with fans.
And also they got rid of a guy named Kip Heldt, a genius of a man who did all the great in game entertainment and special videos. Cappie Patch Doll is a freakin classic!
I miss them both so much.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: