RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Atlanta Dream 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tfan

PostPosted: 08/07/17 3:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ld6uR6tIMqQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Randy

PostPosted: 08/07/17 6:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Atlanta's new human highlight film.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/07/17 8:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That rookie is darn good . It pains me to say because im a homer so Allisha gray has been my ROY choice all season , But Sykes is really really starting to turn heads. If only her team could gather some more victories. Would that matter if the ROY was too close to call would team performance matter ? It does for MVP so id hope the same rules apply #WFFL

PostPosted: 08/07/17 10:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
That rookie is darn good . It pains me to say because im a homer so Allisha gray has been my ROY choice all season , But Sykes is really really starting to turn heads. If only her team could gather some more victories. Would that matter if the ROY was too close to call would team performance matter ? It does for MVP so id hope the same rules apply #WFFL

In life timing is everything. Will Gray's early season performance be paramount in voters minds, or will more recent success carry the day for Sykes? Will Plum sneak in on strength of a possible ROM in August if she continues to rock?

I suspect one or the other will emerge with a little better numbers and will get the nod. If they are pretty dead even, then team records may come into play.

Also - when the votes are made probably matters. I suspect they are made in the last week or two of the season.

tfan

PostPosted: 08/08/17 1:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KmQ05bksAY0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 08/10/17 4:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seattle has fired their head coach to shake things up. Will Atlanta's management do something similar if the Dream don't make the playoffs after trading away their 2018 first round pick for Boyette?

PostPosted: 08/10/17 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Seattle has fired their head coach to shake things up. Will Atlanta's management do something similar if the Dream don't make the playoffs after trading away their 2018 first round pick for Boyette?

Cooper's storyline will likely be he did the best he could without the team's franchise player, and he has built a promising framework for when McCoughtry returns. Assuming he is responsible for all player movement, he got the 2016 MIP for a#4 pick. He believed in Clarendon when nobody else did. He got a decent pick with last year's #11 pick, and a possible ROY with this year's first round pick. The Boyette & Young trade is hard to judge at the moment. How many games have they played, like 2? He got his money back on Hooper. He's done well player movement-wise, and I wonder how well the Liberty would be doing without Charles for a season, for a comparison.... maybe even worse than now. He probably should do his best to get into the playoffs just in the off chance that their first round pick (now CHI's) turns into the #1 pick.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Randy

PostPosted: 08/10/17 5:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well said.

BTW - as regards Cooper already given up on Boyette - how long did he take to give up on Holivay and Simmons?

tfan

PostPosted: 08/11/17 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OtzZ0Krb_go" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hYe-UjaGnjE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

pilight

PostPosted: 08/11/17 10:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So we traded a lottery pick for a player who's getting three minutes per game...

PostPosted: 08/12/17 2:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
So we traded a lottery pick for a player who's getting three minutes per game...

No, no, you also traded a 3 point shooter for a 4th wing who is giving you 11 minutes per game.

Will Boyette be the new Sidney Spencer?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/12/17 3:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Like I said at the time, this trade only worked for Atlanta if Boyette really worked out. In fairness, how good she is this season is largely irrelevant, it's more about how she develops in future - but the early returns aren't good.

The thing is, she's been playing really dumb all season. She gets the ball and then throws it at the rim in some way, regardless of what's going on around her or who's guarding her or whether whatever move she's trying to make has remotely worked. It's like she's playing petulantly, if that's possible. Atlanta need to drum that out of her if they're going to gain anything from the trade. In fairness, she wasn't doing it as much last year, so she's capable of playing more sensibly. It just might be hard work to get there.

PostPosted: 08/12/17 7:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

It could be worse. She could be playing 30 minutes a game.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/12/17 10:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
Will Boyette be the new Sidney Spencer?

Not sure this reference will make sense to most people, since Spencer was a shooter and Boyette is a "rim protector", but you must be eluding to Spencer turning into a #1 pick for Minnesota (that turned into Whalen since Charles was seen as having not much of a future and the Lynx may have chosen Appel anyway since she was the fan favorite at the time).

Trade breakdown
Noelle Quinn to the Sparks
Sidney Spencer to the Liberty
Rights to Raffaella Masciadri and Liberty's first round pick in 2010 to Lynx

Randy

PostPosted: 08/12/17 10:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Probably the "new Swords" is a better analogy. The draft pick sacrificed may be a bigger loss though Boyette's upside is better than Swords.

Plus there is a second round pick and the much maligned T. Young. If nothing else, we may be glad we have Young tonight if Hayes can't make the trip.

myrtle

PostPosted: 08/12/17 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Probably the "new Swords" is a better analogy. The draft pick sacrificed may be a bigger loss though Boyette's upside is better than Swords.

Plus there is a second round pick and the much maligned T. Young. If nothing else, we may be glad we have Young tonight if Hayes can't make the trip.

whazzup with Hayes?

- Amanda Gorman
myrtle

PostPosted: 08/12/17 11:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

The thing is, she's been playing really dumb all season. .

This IMO was her problem in college. Not sure dumbness is correctable...but maybe if there's enough talent - which she seems to have.

- Amanda Gorman
Shades

PostPosted: 08/12/17 11:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Probably the "new Swords" is a better analogy.

Oh burrrrn! Why are people in glass houses always throwing stones? I'd take ATL's player moves over SEA's any day and twice on Sunday. ATL's got some work to do though if you're going to convert that first round pick to a #6 pick.

Randy wrote:
The draft pick sacrificed may be a bigger loss though Boyette's upside is better than Swords.

Faint praise as Sword's upside is zero. They probably wanted her for her experience, but she's not exactly a coach on the floor type, even if she could make it to the floor. Learning experience for the GM. It's not easy being a new GM, as the Lynx GM could tell you.

Randy wrote:
Plus there is a second round pick and the much maligned T. Young.

The much-forgotten 2nd round pick. I equate it to Hooper for the second round pick and the first round pick paying for both Young and Boyette.

Randy wrote:
If nothing else, we may be glad we have Young tonight if Hayes can't make the trip.

Yep, I can see you FanDueling Young up as we speak. Actually, Sykes could be in line for 35+ min.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/12/17 11:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

The thing is, she's been playing really dumb all season. .

This IMO was her problem in college. Not sure dumbness is correctable...but maybe if there's enough talent - which she seems to have.

Is it kinda like holding out hope for years that Amber Harris will become great because she has all these physical gifts?

Randy

PostPosted: 08/12/17 11:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Randy wrote:

whazzup with Hayes?

Ended up in the stanchion on a fast break. Didn't return to the game.

pilight

PostPosted: 08/12/17 9:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With tonight's 0/6, Tamera Young is shooting 24% from the field since being traded to Atlanta, bolstered by 17% from three.

PostPosted: 08/12/17 10:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Boyette is going to pull through. She can still be a great rim defender and provide some offense from the center position. Last year she looked great. This year she has looked horrible, but I'm willing to give her more time. Lets check back this time next year and see how it plays out.

In the meantime Atlanta needs to right the ship and make the playoffs to not have to hear about how awful the trade is for the next few years, so lets put it together Dream. I wouldn't count my playoff spot yet if I was Chicago or Dallas.

Randy

PostPosted: 08/12/17 10:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We will hear about how bad the trade was until either Boyette becomes and All Star or the player selected with the Dream pick is a bust. We still hear from time to time how bad the Williams trade was for passing up Jones. (However, San Antonio should have selected Jones so that's moot.)

Shades

PostPosted: 08/15/17 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Brittney Sykes: From Syracuse To Atlanta, The Sky’s The Limit

http://www.wnba.com/news/brittney-sykes-syracuse-atlanta-skys-limit/amp/

Quote:
In her first four months in the WNBA, Brittney Sykes has checked a lot of boxes off her professional basketball list. She was drafted with the 7th overall pick by the Atlanta Dream, made it through training camp, picked up Rookie of the Month honors for July, and is now making a great case for Rookie of the Year.

Sykes ranks second in the rookie class in scoring (12 pts), rebounding (3.8 rebs) and minutes (23.1). She also ranks second in scoring for the Dream and has worked her way into the starting lineup, starting 16 of 27 games.

During her Rookie of the Month campaign in July, Sykes averaged 17.8 points per game which put her in the eighth spot in league standings. She has wasted no time making her mark in the W, but there was a time when Sykes faced uncertainty as to where she fit in the basketball world.

Quote:
Based on her junior performance, Sykes could have declared for the WNBA Draft, she didn’t need to come back for her senior season. Sykes called Hillsman to weigh her options.

“He said ‘Well, if you go, you’ll be drafted, I don’t know how high, but if you wait, and you go next year, we can make something happen.’ In a sense of, if you put in that work and you do what you’re supposed to do, the sky’s the limit,” she said.

Both Sykes and Hillsman agree that returning for her senior season was the best decision she made to prepare her for the WNBA. The plan worked. As the 7th overall pick, she became the highest WNBA draft pick in Syracuse history. Added time gave her a chance to hone her skills and eliminate any doubt about her injury.

That was pretty selfless of Hillsman to think it would be best for Sykes to return for her senior year.

Quote:
Sykes worked out two or three times a day in the weight room between her junior and senior season to get her body prepared for physicality of the upcoming season and ultimately the WNBA.

She became a better shooter, forcing players into long closeouts and, in turn, she was able to attack the basket easier. Between her junior and senior seasons she increased her accuracy on field goals by 10 percent (.452 from .352) and 16 percent from three-point range (.393 from .231).

Quote:
“Atlanta is my style of play, Atlanta is my type of place to be,” Sykes said. “I have family down there, so I wouldn’t be alone. It’s the perfect set up.”

Quote:
“That’s one thing that he [Cooper] does is he allows his players to get out in space and play basketball and she really is doing well playing in space and doing things she needs to do to be successful.”

Quote:
Like many other rookies in the league, Sykes was inspired by WNBA players when she was younger. Back when the New York Liberty played in the Prudential Center, Sykes would go watch with her high school teammates and she never missed a game. At a Liberty vs. Mystics game she got a headband from then-Mystics guard Matee Ajavon, and she thought to herself that one day she would make the league and give the headband back to Ajavon. Sykes now plays alongside Ajavon for the Dream.

Quote:
After the Dream’s first preseason game, Atlanta head coach Michael Cooper and Sykes discussed her goals for the season and they were on the same page. Rookie of the Year was at the top of the list.

“The day you picked me I said I was going to get it, and that’s been my goal ever since,” Sykes said.

pilight

PostPosted: 08/15/17 11:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
That was pretty selfless of Hillsman to think it would be best for Sykes to return for her senior year.

In this case the coach was right. Sykes wasn't ready a year ago. She wouldn't have been a first round pick or a ROY candidate in 2016.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 17 of 19

Jump to: