RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Seattle Storm 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randy

PostPosted: 08/10/17 2:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gee I hope they don't blame me for this.

Quote:
Randy wrote:
lynxmania wrote:
In a battle of two of the coaches with in my opinion the hottest seats in the league, Dallas is just killing Seattle.

So do the Storm fire Boucek now and see if Klop can do anything with this team? Might be worth knowing before next season.

http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=92290&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I think it proves GM's fire coaches so they don't get fired themselves.

Nerd2

PostPosted: 08/10/17 3:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Gee I hope they don't blame me for this.

Quote:
Randy wrote:
lynxmania wrote:
In a battle of two of the coaches with in my opinion the hottest seats in the league, Dallas is just killing Seattle.

So do the Storm fire Boucek now and see if Klop can do anything with this team? Might be worth knowing before next season.

http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=92290&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I think it proves GM's fire coaches so they don't get fired themselves.

I do. We lost the last 4 games because of YOU!

tfan

PostPosted: 08/10/17 3:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What examples are there of a WNBA coach (the next year - not midseason change) taking essentially the same team (a very subjective issue) to a significantly better record the next year?

Michelle89

PostPosted: 08/10/17 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This move was expected. If they want to make the playoffs then they had to do something to shake things up

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
pilight

PostPosted: 08/10/17 3:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
What examples are there of a WNBA coach (the next year - not midseason change) taking essentially the same team (a very subjective issue) to a significantly better record the next year?

How much is significant? Mike Thibault improved the Sun by eight games from 2004 to 2005 while keeping the same top four (Douglas, McWilliams, Sales, Whalen). Jellybean Bryant improved the Sparks by eight games from 2005 to 2006 by the simple virtue of not being Henry Bibby. Michael Cooper improved the Sparks by eight games from 1999 to 2000, also keeping the same top four (Dixon, Leslie, Mabika, Milton). Brian Agler improved the Storm by eight games from 2009 to 2010 while keeping the same starting lineup (Bird, Cash, Jackson, Little, Wright). Thibault improved the Mystics by 12 games from 2012 to 2013 by changing one starter (Noelle Quinn to Ivory Latta).

PostPosted: 08/10/17 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

About bloody time. Should never have been hired as head coach in the first place.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 08/10/17 5:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A coaching change alone will not improve this team. This team is too undersized to compete with the best teams in the league. The rebuild word will have to be used to improve this team and some fan favourites will have to go.

PostPosted: 08/10/17 5:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bcdawg04 wrote:
I think it will be difficult to feel much optimism until we get a better GM.

that is correct.

PostPosted: 08/10/17 5:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

and i hope kloppi learned the lesson that his sos defense doesn't always work from his last tenure in seattle with lin dunn.

it was painful to watched the slow, sucked ass talent storm team trying to press a quick, athletic, skilled l.a. sparks team back then.

PostPosted: 08/10/17 6:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
A coaching change alone will not improve this team. This team is too undersized to compete with the best teams in the league. The rebuild word will have to be used to improve this team and some fan favourites will have to go.

I think a coaching change alone can definitely improve this team. I agree that they're undersized and not at the talent/balance level of the top teams, but one thing they can do is make the most out of what they have, which is something that has been lacking for most of this season, and is what gets fans irritated.

Whether Klop is the right guy is another matter of course.

As for the second part of your post, the only fan favourite whose days are numbered is Bird, and there's no reason for her not to stay on if she is willing and able. She's not the problem. The team is past rebuild mode now. They've got 2 quality young players to build around. I don't think the team is that far away from competing with the top 4.

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 08/10/17 7:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think it's the right move, but I hope for their sake they don't pull a SUN.

PostPosted: 08/10/17 7:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This makes me wonder if Sue Bird wants to be with the Storm next season. But I do not know what her contract status is.

If her contract is up after this season, will she become a free-agent and sign with another team?

If not, will she ask to be traded somewhere else?

Or will she retire?

PostPosted: 08/10/17 7:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
This makes me wonder if Sue Bird wants to be with the Storm next season. But I do not know what her contract status is.

If her contract is up after this season, will she become a free-agent and sign with another team?

Or will she retire?

When she signed a new contract last year she said it stated that she will retire in Seattle and that it didn't have a specific end year.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/10/17 7:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

merlina wrote:
StevenHW wrote:

Or will she retire?

When she signed a new contract last year she said it stated that she will retire in Seattle and that it didn't have a specific end year.

Minds can change as quickly as a coach.

Bird to New York for a swap of first and second round picks?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
merlina

PostPosted: 08/10/17 7:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
merlina wrote:
StevenHW wrote:

Or will she retire?

And? The question was about her contract status.

Nerd2

PostPosted: 08/10/17 7:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
merlina wrote:
StevenHW wrote:

Or will she retire?

You ever have a girlfriend? She's dating in Seattle.

Last edited by Nerd2 on 08/10/17 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nerd2

PostPosted: 08/10/17 7:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

I think a coaching change alone can definitely improve this team. I agree that they're undersized and not at the talent/balance level of the top teams, but one thing they can do is make the most out of what they have, which is something that has been lacking for most of this season, and is what gets fans irritated.

Whether Klop is the right guy is another matter of course.

As for the second part of your post, the only fan favourite whose days are numbered is Bird, and there's no reason for her not to stay on if she is willing and able. She's not the problem. The team is past rebuild mode now. They've got 2 quality young players to build around. I don't think the team is that far away from competing with the top 4.

Had this team gone 2-2 in the past 4, they'd be in 7th place. They still have a game to play in Atlanta to establish that tiebreak and two with Chicago. The playoffs are still totally in reach and many of the games they lost throughout the season were very close. The coaching change itself will surely lead to using personnel in different ways and that could be enough to sway the balance this year. They'll end up with a top 6 pick regardless.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/10/17 8:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
Shades wrote:
merlina wrote:
StevenHW wrote:

Or will she retire?

Hmm... you edited out a bunch of stuff. Did you overstep with your guarantees?

Have you ever had a wife? Dupree got traded to Indy. Boyette's married and goes wherever. Bird probably stays, but I'm not sure how much dating has to do with it. Have you talked to Bird since the firing, and is she obligated to share all her true feelings to you? Are you two BFF's?

Laimbeer can be quite persuasive. Oh, who am I kidding. He's lost his touch. Razz

Nerd2

PostPosted: 08/10/17 8:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:
Shades wrote:
merlina wrote:
StevenHW wrote:

Or will she retire?

Have you ever had a wife? Dupree got traded to Indy. Boyette's married and goes wherever. Bird probably stays, but I'm not sure how much dating has to do with it. Have you talked to Bird since the firing, and is she obligated to share all her true feelings to you? Are you two BFF's?

Laimbeer can be quite persuasive. Oh, who am I kidding. He's lost his touch. Razz

I just said she has more motivation to stay in Seattle than just a coach. And while I haven't talked to her since the trade was a few hours ago, I'll be in Phoenix this weekend with the fan road trip. So yeah, I'll talk to her. And, I'll get a bit of a read as to how the team is reacting.

scrappy

PostPosted: 08/10/17 10:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:
Shades wrote:
merlina wrote:
StevenHW wrote:

Or will she retire?

yeah laimbeer talked seattle into getting sword off his hands.

PostPosted: 08/10/17 10:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

“I believe new leadership is needed at this time to give our team the best chance at short and long term success." - Storm President & GM Alisha Valavanis

hmmm..., i wonder why she is still with the organization?

PostPosted: 08/10/17 10:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't see Bird playing with another team.

I also speculate that this or next year will be the last, even though she is still playing at a high level at some point all players retire. (I'm pretty sure she is already the oldest player in the league by a couple of years, could be wrong but can't think of anyone still around from her draft class, or the next one.)

Shades

PostPosted: 08/10/17 10:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scrappy wrote:

yeah laimbeer talked seattle into getting swords off his hands.

Yeah, so he could make room for Kia Vaughn, Liberty fans' latest most hated.

Last edited by Shades on 08/10/17 10:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 08/10/17 10:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
scrappy wrote:

yeah laimbeer talked seattle into getting swords off his hands.

Yeah, so he could make room for Kia Vaughn, Liberty fan's latest most hated.

But also one of our new favs Bria Hartley. Who saw that coming a couple weeks into the season?

I still like this Seattle team, maybe it was the coaches fault I thought they would be a top 5 team this year. I still have faith in Loyd and Stewie, just need a big post (maybe Klop can get more out of Swords) but they might be able to solve that through the draft or a trade. I like the idea of trying to poach Chiney (or maybe Jefferson to eventually replace Bird) but I don't think they have the pieces. Maybe win the lottery a 3rd #1 pick in Wilson could solve the problems.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/10/17 10:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scrappy wrote:
“I believe new leadership is needed at this time to give our team the best chance at short and long term success." - Storm President & GM Alisha Valavanis

hmmm..., i wonder why she is still with the organization?

What'd she do that was so terrible, other than being Megdal's puppet.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 15 of 19

Jump to: