67%  [ 42 ]
Jones
32%
 32%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 62

justintyme

PostPosted: 08/09/17 2:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scrappy wrote:

but considering the values are fairly equal. then the conventional basketball wisdom is you build your team around the big.

Hmm. I disagree with that. Bigs, to me, are the least effective to build a team around. I would rather a star with a wide range of skills rather than just be able to beast down low. Think more the LeBron, Curry, Durant, and less Howard, Griffen, or Davis.

Stewart just has so many more facets to her game than Jones does. She is much more reliable on offense and has much better vision and ability to facilitate.

PostPosted: 08/09/17 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
As always, the question is really "When will each of these players stop improving?"

If Jones gets better each year for the next five years and then plateaus, and Stewart gets better each year for the next three years and then plateaus, then Jones is the choice.

And, of course, vice versa.

But no one knows when a player will stop improving, and there's really no way to tell

You pays yer money and you takes yer choice ...

But right now Jones is not at the same level scoring wise as Stewart not even close tbh so will Jones be able to average 20 pts per game next season or does it take her 2-3 more seasons to get there

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/09/17 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
ClayK wrote:
As always, the question is really "When will each of these players stop improving?"

If Jones gets better each year for the next five years and then plateaus, and Stewart gets better each year for the next three years and then plateaus, then Jones is the choice.

But no one knows when a player will stop improving, and there's really no way to tell

But right now Jones is not at the same level scoring wise as Stewart not even close tbh so will Jones be able to average 20 pts per game next season or does it take her 2-3 more seasons to get there

Does she really need to ? With the system and support they have in Conn i dont think she needs to do that much . Can She ? Yes i believe she can , Could stewie average a double double for an entire season ???? hmmmmm

PostPosted: 08/09/17 3:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stewart or Jones? I'd rather have a referee on my side.

myrtle

PostPosted: 08/09/17 4:29 pm    ::: Re: Jonquel Jones or Breanna Stewart? Reply Reply with quote

barryi22 wrote:
You're building a brand new team and have to pick between these two to be your franchise player. Who do you pick?

great discussion. Thanks for starting this thread.

- Amanda Gorman
TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 08/09/17 4:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Shades wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Gabby = A. Clark . Eventually i believe gabby will be the better player but i dont see much of an upgrade with that pick if your wanting to replace Alysha.

Gabby has an Olympic level of athleticism and is a great defender and facilitator in college. Let's see you say that about Clark. Plus Gabby goes to the WNBA boot camp known as UConn.

Lol so that automatically makes her better than a veteran ? What olympic level athletiscm ? Laughing Until she plays in the olympics for the SR national team then that quality will be valid. Not saying she doesnt have the potential to be there one day because she does but im not going to put all my chips on hope for a player who has not shown in my opinion to be better or an upgrade to Alysha Clark's skillset. Heck Id take DD Athletic abilities/gifts over gabby's any day.

Whenever the day DD can dominate in the post against Wilson/Coates or Turner for that matter, then we'll talk.

But to the original topic, Stewie. Not even close.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/09/17 5:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Does she really need to ? With the system and support they have in Conn i dont think she needs to do that much . Can She ? Yes i believe she can , Could stewie average a double double for an entire season ???? hmmmmm

Yeah, it's not like Stewart was 0.7 rebounds per game away from averaging a double-double as a rookie, or the fastest player in WNBA history to 1000pts/500rebs or anything.

The really remarkable thing is that a player that no one was sure about before the 2016 draft has made this a legitimate debate in barely 16 months.

PostPosted: 08/09/17 6:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I find it very hard to debate from a physical talent or skill perspective. Stewart fans can say she's a better scorer, but Jones fans can respond that Jonquel is the better rebounder. They can both score inside outside and both handle the ball well for bigs. If you throw in potential development as a variable, then this argument can go on forever.

One thing we can definitely say about Stewart, that is unproven about Jones, is that Breanna has withstood the pressure of attention and expectations with relatively little problem. She was the number 1 recruit out of high school and the unquestioned number 1 pick in the WNBA draft. Stewart has met all expectations and more. She even withstood the brouhaha surrounding her selection to the Olympic team over Parker. Stewie is unflappable. She lived through Geno's browbeating and embraced it to improve as a player. She has survived being the focal point of opponents' defensive game plans year after year. And note that Stewart always seemed to have her best games at tournament time when the lights were brightest. So, I'm pretty sold on Breanna's mental and emotional makeup. As long as she's healthy, Stewart will get the most out of her talent. Not saying Jonquel won't be solid too, but she hasn't been tested like Stewie. And we do have that small blip of her transferring from Clemson to GW. Not necessarily meaningful, but there's at least a question about why she had to leave. Bad decision to begin with? Couldn't adjust to someone or something? Again, maybe not important but it's there.

Stewart just seems impervious to pressure, expectations or outside distractions. Therefore, I see her as a safer bet.

PostPosted: 08/09/17 6:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Stewart or Jones? I'd rather have a referee on my side.

make that tommy nunez.

PostPosted: 08/09/17 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

alright u stewie fans. while both have their merits of what and how. but if you look at the game last night that both of them were in the game, on the floor. who altered and dictated the game more?

JONQUEL JONES!!!

PostPosted: 08/09/17 7:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That makes about as much sense as deciding who ought to be ROY, based on who did better head-to-head between Sykes and Gray. I mean, the answer to both questions might end up being the same, anyway, but that's kind of a shitty metric to hang the decision on. You might as well decide between Stewart and Jones based on who put up better numbers against the Fever.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Randy

PostPosted: 08/09/17 8:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't care much for which player is better debates, but it occurred to me it might be interesting to look at Advanced Stats from BBRef;

Rk Player G MP PER TS% eFG% 3PAr FTr ORB% DRB% TRB% AST% STL% BLK% TOV% USG% ORtg DRtg OWS DWS WS WS/48
1 Breanna Stewart 25 831 24.3 .598 .542 .303 .425 6.5 24.0 15.9 14.6 1.6 3.9 13.0 28.0 112 103 2.6 1.2 3.8 .219

1 Jonquel Jones 25 715 27.9 .637 .573 .158 .450 15.6 31.6 23.5 7.3 1.6 3.7 11.1 21.3 129 98 3.8 1.6 5.4 .362

On the WNBA advanced stats its not very close.

Stewart is 8th (not counting Boyd) while Jones is 4 in PIE. Fowles, Griner, Nneka are best.

Jones seems to get extra credit for being on a good team (look at OR and DR) which is sort of the point I guess.

scrappy

PostPosted: 08/09/17 9:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
That makes about as much sense as deciding who ought to be ROY, based on who did better head-to-head between Sykes and Gray. I mean, the answer to both questions might end up being the same, anyway, but that's kind of a shitty metric to hang the decision on. You might as well decide between Stewart and Jones based on who put up better numbers against the Fever.

it would makes sense if you look beyond numbers and stats. as i said, alter and dictate the game. the dynamic of the game is more than just who shoots and scores more.

PostPosted: 08/09/17 9:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scrappy wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:

it would makes sense if you look beyond numbers and stats. as i said, alter and dictate the game. the dynamic of the game is more than just who shoots and scores more.

I don't disagree with that, but the verbiage of your post made it sound like you think we should take last night's game in isolation, and make our decision based solely on that.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/10/17 3:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
I don't care much for which player is better debates, but it occurred to me it might be interesting to look at Advanced Stats from BBRef;

Rk Player G MP PER TS% eFG% 3PAr FTr ORB% DRB% TRB% AST% STL% BLK% TOV% USG% ORtg DRtg OWS DWS WS WS/48
1 Breanna Stewart 25 831 24.3 .598 .542 .303 .425 6.5 24.0 15.9 14.6 1.6 3.9 13.0 28.0 112 103 2.6 1.2 3.8 .219

1 Jonquel Jones 25 715 27.9 .637 .573 .158 .450 15.6 31.6 23.5 7.3 1.6 3.7 11.1 21.3 129 98 3.8 1.6 5.4 .362

On the WNBA advanced stats its not very close.

Stewart is 8th (not counting Boyd) while Jones is 4 in PIE. Fowles, Griner, Nneka are best.

Jones seems to get extra credit for being on a good team (look at OR and DR) which is sort of the point I guess.

You can definitely make the argument that Jones is having a better season this year, but that's not necessarily the same thing as believing she's the better player or will be in future. Given the college production, plus last year and international play, Stewart's proven her quality over a longer period of time at this point. There's no real reason to believe that Jones can't continue being this good in future years, but outside of a few months in Korea this is basically the first time she's done it. The real stars do it year in and year out, which she still has to get to.

Health always ends up being a factor as well, and we have to see if Jones can continue to hold up under an increased workload. Although it'll help that she's Barbadian, and therefore basically gets to rest when other players will be with their international teams. The bidding war for her services would've been fierce if she was available internationally.

PostPosted: 08/10/17 4:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Stewart averaged 18,3 pts and 9,3 rebounds in her rookie season Laughing Laughing

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/10/17 8:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Stewart averaged 18,3 pts and 9,3 rebounds in her rookie season Laughing Laughing

But is that a double double for the "Entire" Season ?

PostPosted: 08/10/17 11:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

If you get a double-double (for example 15pts and 10 rebounds in every) in every game or you average 10 rebounds per game (1 game 9 rebounds and the other 11 etc.) then i dont see why the one is so much better then the other. Yes no one has had a double double in EVERY game of the season and tbh i dont see that happening very soon.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/10/17 12:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

If you get a double-double (for example 15pts and 10 rebounds in every) in every game or you average 10 rebounds per game (1 game 9 rebounds and the other 11 etc.) then i dont see why the one is so much better then the other. Yes no one has had a double double in EVERY game of the season and tbh i dont see that happening very soon.

Ok your changing my original question . I asked if she could "Average" a double double for an ENTIRE season . Your responses were answering a question that was never asked. But w/e there both great end of story

PostPosted: 08/10/17 12:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One thing to consider in Jones vs. Stewart is that Jones' game is more dependent on her raw athleticism, which to me would mean that wear and tear could have greater potential effect on Jones than Stewart. Not to say Stewart isn't athletic, because of course she is. But Jones' offense is by large majority putbacks and open 3s. She's not much of a creator of her own offense. OTOH there's a second thing to consider. That same principle might show higher untapped potential in Jones. She can certainly handle the open court. So what if she develops a high capacity to create her own offense, given that she has the capability? Even as somewhat of a raw player she's dominant in certain areas of the game. What happens when she gains polish?

It's an interesting comparison. Honestly I can't say right now which I'd rather have with certainty. Given their games right this second, I'd take Stewart because I value perimeter versatility and playmaking in a player. Especially when combined with length, rim protection potential, and rebounding. But Jones' upside is also hard to ignore.

Also, if you look at CT, they have a lot of depth on offense, and they have so many creators that it really opens weak-side offensive rebounding opportunities for Jones. Especially when either Thomas forces defenses to scramble through penetrations. If you put Jones on Seattle given the difference in their style of play, you might have a situation where her rebounds per game would be about 1-2 per game lower. So, the personnel each player has plays a role too.

PostPosted: 08/10/17 3:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I know Breanna Stewart was #1 out of high school. Looked for Jones rating and found she was #17 by ESPN/Hoopgurlz, and #4 at her position. And, they list her at 6'2" (Stewart is listed at 6'3" by them versus the 6'4" she is currently listed at).

From the comments on her ESPN page, Jones improved a lot in high school.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 08/10/17 3:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Ok your changing my original question . I asked if she could "Average" a double double for an ENTIRE season . Your responses were answering a question that was never asked. But w/e there both great end of story

No you asked something like pretending she couldnt do that by saying hmmm. So me and Richyyy responded that she was already close (0,7 rebound off averaging a double double) in her rookie year so i dont see no reason why she couldnt do that in the future.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/10/17 3:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

No you asked something like pretending she couldnt do that by saying hmmm. So me and Richyyy responded that she was already close (0,7 rebound off averaging a double double) in her rookie year so i dont see no reason why she couldnt do that in the future.

And your still circling around answering the original question . I didnt ask if she had been close i asked if she could and you began this rant as if i said shes not capable. Get over yourself already ive stated both are great players dont try & turn this into something else please

PostPosted: 08/10/17 3:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jones is a legit Cruiserweight while Stewart is a puffed up Super Middleweight. It would be no contest.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: