RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

WNBL (Australia) 2017/18 Season
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 07/25/17 10:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The WNBL 2017/18 Schedule has just been released.

It is a major change in an attempt to 1) be more tv-friendly, and 2) give players more overseas options.
Instead of Oct -> Feb with 24 games, the regular season is now Oct -> Dec with 21 games.
At least 1 game per week, and all playoff games, will be televised on Foxtel (cable network with a streaming service)

PostPosted: 07/26/17 10:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:

It is a major change in an attempt to 1) be more tv-friendly, and 2) give players more overseas options.
Instead of Oct -> Feb with 24 games, the regular season is now Oct -> Dec with 21 games.
At least 1 game per week, and all playoff games, will be televised on Foxtel (cable network with a streaming service)

That's an awfully short season in terms of games and months. How do you feel about it as a fan? To me as an outsider who only really pays attention to a few results here and there this feels like a step backward. Is the television coverage really going to make up for the cuts in actual basketball being played? How many players sign partial overseas contracts in Europe or Asia after the WNBL season? Is that a big thing?

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 07/26/17 7:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

That's an awfully short season in terms of games and months. How do you feel about it as a fan? To me as an outsider who only really pays attention to a few results here and there this feels like a step backward. Is the television coverage really going to make up for the cuts in actual basketball being played? How many players sign partial overseas contracts in Europe or Asia after the WNBL season? Is that a big thing?

Going to Europe after the aussie season isn't a big thing, because it hasn't really been feasible until now due to how much overlap in the seasons. The thinking is that now players will have the option to do that rather than just skipping the WNBL altogether.
The down side is for the bench type players who earn close to zero and therefore still need to hold down jobs. The crammed schedule is really going to impact them.
I'll reserve judgement until after the season, but I think it's worth trying and I'm excited about the new season. Early signs are positive in terms of players staying home instead of playing elsewhere (eg. O'Hea, Jarry, Ebzery, Cambage, Bishop, Hurst, Tomlinson). It's a much stronger league than last season.

PostPosted: 07/26/17 8:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
miller40 wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

Going to Europe after the aussie season isn't a big thing, because it hasn't really been feasible until now due to how much overlap in the seasons. The thinking is that now players will have the option to do that rather than just skipping the WNBL altogether.
The down side is for the bench type players who earn close to zero and therefore still need to hold down jobs. The crammed schedule is really going to impact them.
I'll reserve judgement until after the season, but I think it's worth trying and I'm excited about the new season. Early signs are positive in terms of players staying home instead of playing elsewhere (eg. O'Hea, Jarry, Ebzery, Cambage, Bishop, Hurst, Tomlinson). It's a much stronger league than last season.

This season it was basically Kunek, Mitchell, and Raincock-Ekunwe as an import, I think. I wonder how it will impact the import market. It could be appealing to some WNBA players who would otherwise considering resting the entire offseason. If budgets are focused on bringing back Australians from Europe, it could also cut import budgets. I am still holding out hope that there's a place in the league for Kathleen Scheer this season.

Do you know if the WNBL or the SEABL decided to cut their seasons first? It seems interesting for both to decide to do it in the same year.
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 07/26/17 9:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
miller40 wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

This season it was basically Kunek, Mitchell, and Raincock-Ekunwe as an import, I think. I wonder how it will impact the import market. It could be appealing to some WNBA players who would otherwise considering resting the entire offseason. If budgets are focused on bringing back Australians from Europe, it could also cut import budgets. I am still holding out hope that there's a place in the league for Kathleen Scheer this season.

Do you know if the WNBL or the SEABL decided to cut their seasons first? It seems interesting for both to decide to do it in the same year.

No idea who decided first, but ultimately I think it was similar thinking within each league that ended up with that outcome.

Hard to know how the import budget will be affected. I would have said it would be reduced, due to more aussie players taking up the "high-paid" spots, but some teams seem willing to spend a lot this season so who knows. eg. Melbourne were barely alive a couple of years ago, and now they've suddenly loaded up on talent for this season. Ditto for Adelaide. Hopefully that's a sign of improving revenue rather than increasingly irresponsible spending!
I do worry about where this money is coming from, but with a general increase in interest in women's sport down here, plus a TV deal now in place, the time is right for more corporate sponsors to jump onto the bandwagon.

PostPosted: 08/09/17 11:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Perth Lynx have signed Courtney Williams for the upcoming season. (yes, the real one Wink)

Her + Sami = fun Very Happy

http://www.perthlynx.com/Media/News/perth-lynx-land-wnba-star-courtney-williams

---

Other significant signings since my last update:

* Rachel Banham -> Bendigo Spirit

* Mistie Bass -> Canberra Capitals
* Natalie Hurst -> Canberra Capitals (was previously in Europe)
* Ezi Magbegor -> Canberra Capitals (very promising junior post player)

* Courtney Duever -> Melbourne Boomers (ex Central Arkansas Bears)

* Kayla Standish -> Perth Lynx (prev. Townsville)

* Sydney Wiese -> Townsville Fire
* Laurin Mincy -> Townsville Fire (ex Maryland Terps)

PostPosted: 08/10/17 3:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Perth Lynx have signed Courtney Williams for the upcoming season. (yes, the real one Wink)

With all due respect to your league, Williams is going to burn the place down. She's already an elite athlete who can basically run by or jump over people at the WNBA level, so in the WNBL they'll barely be able to see her while she streaks past. Hopefully for her own development that encourages her to attack the rim more. She pulls up a little too much in the WNBA, and it means she doesn't get to the free throw line enough. With players she knows she can run past rather than shoot over, maybe she'll drive more frequently.

PostPosted: 08/10/17 9:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

With all due respect to your league, Williams is going to burn the place down.

No kidding! Thus the Very Happy

It's funny ... earlier in the WNBL preseason I was pondering what type of player Perth could get, and Williams was literally top of my wish list. At that stage I knew what she was capable of, but I figured she was likely out of Perth's financial reach. That was before the WNBA season. With her continued improvement I wasn't even considering her anymore.

Perth still has a gaping roster hole in the paint though, in a season where nearly every team has a decent genuine centre. So I think our 2nd import will determine how far this team can go.
It should be an enjoyable ride either way. We've had some good imports in the league over the years, but I think Courtney might just be the best in terms of pure scoring power.

PostPosted: 08/10/17 10:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is getting a little off-topic, but I just went and checked the 'not getting to the line' issue with Williams, and there are essentially only four players in the entire WNBA this season with a lower free throw rate (I discounted players who've played so little that they're a zero). That's amazing for a player with her quickness and ability. Shooting 50% from the field when you're basically a jumpshooter is outstanding, but live with a few blown bunnies and a slightly lower percentage if it means you shoot a free throw more than once a week.

PostPosted: 08/10/17 10:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
This is getting a little off-topic, but I just went and checked the 'not getting to the line' issue with Williams, and there are essentially only four players in the entire WNBA this season with a lower free throw rate (I discounted players who've played so little that they're a zero). That's amazing for a player with her quickness and ability. Shooting 50% from the field when you're basically a jumpshooter is outstanding, but live with a few blown bunnies and a slightly lower percentage if it means you shoot a free throw more than once a week.

Elevation. She doesn't get calls for the little hits on the hand and arm on the foul line jumpers, etc. because she is over the top of them.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/10/17 10:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Elevation. She doesn't get calls for the little hits on the hand and arm on the foul line jumpers, etc. because she is over the top of them.

As opposed to, say, Deanna Nolan, whose career free throw rate was over double Williams's, or Jewell Loyd, whose rate is over triple? I think it's got a lot more to do with the way Williams plays than her athleticism stopping her from getting the calls.

PostPosted: 08/10/17 11:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:

---

Other significant signings since my last update:

* Rachel Banham -> Bendigo Spirit

* Mistie Bass -> Canberra Capitals
* Natalie Hurst -> Canberra Capitals (was previously in Europe)
* Ezi Magbegor -> Canberra Capitals (very promising junior post player)

* Courtney Duever -> Melbourne Boomers (ex Central Arkansas Bears)

* Kayla Standish -> Perth Lynx (prev. Townsville)

* Sydney Wiese -> Townsville Fire
* Laurin Mincy -> Townsville Fire (ex Maryland Terps)

Argh, only one import spot left and it's probably too much to ask for it to go to Kathleen Scheer. I had only been loosely paying attention to roster movement and yes, Perth really needs that last spot to go to the best center available.

Leener is interested in possibly heading to Europe, but hopefully that would not interfere with a return to Hobart. I wonder if she could get permanent residency soon?
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 09/10/17 11:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The WNBL season launch happened this morning, and with it the TV games for this season were announced. They are now included in the Season Schedule on WNBL.com.au

Lots of TV love for the Victorian teams
6: Melbourne
5: Dandenong
4: Bendigo, Sydney
3: Canberra
2: Adelaide, Perth, Townsville.

PostPosted: 09/13/17 5:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBL: Canberra Capitals import Mistie Bass taking baby steps in basketball return
Quote:
Canberra Capitals import Mistie Bass is literally taking baby steps in her return to basketball because her newborn son Braven is setting the pace.
Bass arrived in Canberra just days out from the Capitals' first pre-season clash with her son and husband Shane Boyd, a former NFL quarterback plying his trade in the Arena Football League.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/act-sport/wnbl-canberra-capitals-import-mistie-bass-taking-baby-steps-in-basketball-return-20170912-gyga1m.html

PostPosted: 09/29/17 7:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

New Bendigo Spirit import Rachel Banham ready to lead
Quote:
The Bendigo Spirit’s newest import made a great first impression by hitting the game winner in her first pre-season game for her new team last Friday night.
Banham, who is coming off her second season with the WNBA’s Connecticut Sun, scored 22 points in 26 minutes against Melbourne Boomers in a fine Spirit debut in Ballarat.

http://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/story/4955304/spirit-import-ready-to-lead-from-the-front/

PostPosted: 10/05/17 9:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I tuned in to something called the WNBL Show. Not sure if I will be doing so again, but Cambage was on. She said she's (.....wait for it.....) only going to be playing 15 minutes a game? Shocked Uhhh. Did she injure herself at Burning Man?

Shades

PostPosted: 10/05/17 11:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:
I tuned in to something called the WNBL Show. Not sure if I will be doing so again, but Cambage was on. She said she's (.....wait for it.....) only going to be playing 15 minutes a game? Shocked Uhhh. Did she injure herself at Burning Man?

She didn't say why? Seems like there's some details being left out here.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight

PostPosted: 10/05/17 11:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
miller40 wrote:

She didn't say why? Seems like there's some details being left out here.

Maybe she has tooth problems

PostPosted: 10/05/17 7:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:

This is a peek ahead at a future update, but she played 23 minutes in their opener although it might have been more if she did not pick up a late technical to foul out.
sigur3

PostPosted: 10/05/17 10:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Will any of these games be streamed anywhere?

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 10/06/17 5:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:

She hasn't played competitively since the Olympics, so she was just saying that they are going to ease her back into full minutes. Sensible approach IMO, given that they have another game tomorrow. If I was a Wings fan - and I kind of am - then I'd be happy about the cautious approach rather than being concerned by it.
She played 22:46 last night btw (and may have played more had she not fouled out)

sigur3 wrote:
Will any of these games be streamed anywhere?

From the WNBL this afternoon:
Quote:
@WNBL
Clubs are allowed and will be streaming as of next week.

PostPosted: 10/06/17 12:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So can Adelaide go from last to first?

Evidently they redid their entire roster, with only two holdovers from last year. They've added Natalie Novosel and Ruth Hamblin and Vanessa Panousis ( who is Australian but played for Virginia Tech the last four years).

Well they started off with a win today.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 10/06/17 7:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, Adelaide barely survived as a club the previous 2 seasons and they had the type of roster that goes with having a shoestring budget.
This season they have joined the salary arms race and yeah, they could go from worst to first. There are a lot of stacked (by WNBL standards, obviously) teams though, so it's really hard to pick, especially now that the season is crazy-condensed. Injuries will affect teams way more than ever, and gelling ASAP will be critical.

PostPosted: 10/08/17 4:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Round 1

(Due to her marriage, Steph Cumming is now Steph Blicavs, just to make Dandenong boxscores confusing)

Round 1
Dandenong 61 (Sa. Blicavs 17p, St. Blicavs 16p 6r 6a, Pedersen 10p, Mijovic 7p 9r, Lavey 7p) Palau D.N.P.
Melbourne 76 (Cambage 17p 6r, O'Hea 11p 11r, Cole 10p 5r, Garrick 10p, Conti 8p)
Boxscore

Adelaide 91
(Novosel 21p 8r 9a, Seekamp 16p, Nicholson 14p, Hamblin 12p 8r, Panousis 11p, Bishop 8p 5a, Hodges 7p 5r)
Sydney 80 (Ebzery 20p 7a, Wilson 18p, Snell 16p 5r 4a, Hamson 12p 8r 4b, Taylor 7p 10r)
Boxscore

Canberra 93 (Wehrung 22p 6r 5a, Hooper 18p, Gaze 14p, Magbegor 12p 8r, Bass 10p, Hurst 5p 8r 13a)
Bendigo 80 (Griffin 22p 7r, Laney 19p 6r, Payne 13p, Banham 10p 4a, Karaitiana 8p)
Boxscore

Melbourne 54 (Cambage 15p, O'Hea 10p 14r, Garrick 7p)
Townsville 63 (George 17p 21r, Murray 9p, Mincy 8p 4a, Cocks 8p, Garbin 7p)
Boxscore

Canberra 84 (Hooper 19p 7r, Jarry 15p, Wehrung 14p, Bass 13p 6r, Hurst 10p 6r 7a, Gaze 7p)
Adelaide 77 (Bishop 21p 5r, Novosel 14p 8a, Hamblin 10p 13r, Planeta 10p 5r, Nicholson 8p)
Boxscore

Perth 80 (Williams 26p 10r 4a, Standish 15p, Kunek 15p, Whitcomb 8p 4s, Dowe 6p 9r)
Sydney 93 (Taylor 20p 9r 4a, Hamson 20p 9r, Snell 18p 9a, Wilson 16p, Ebzery 11p 4a)
Boxscore

At the moment, Sydney Wiese has yet to arrive in Townsville, Louella Tomlinson (Melbourne), Aimee Clydesdale (Adelaide) and Laia Palau (Dandenong) are not yet recovered from injuries, and Tahlia Tupaea (Sydney) and Toni Farnworth (nee Edmondson) (Perth) are likely to miss most if not all of the season due to more serious injuries.

PostPosted: 10/08/17 6:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

George had 21 rebounds in 35 minutes while Cambage had 4 rebounds in 30 minutes... Rolling Eyes .....come on Liz,you're 6'9.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: