RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

WNBA MVP and Minutes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 08/08/17 2:59 pm    ::: WNBA MVP and Minutes Reply Reply with quote

Looking back at the past decade, no MVP has played less than 31 games or 889 minutes.

Delle Donne has played 20 games and 591 minutes, and it's unlikely she'll play more than a couple of games before the end of the season.

Griner has played 18 games and 575 minutes, and PHX has 9 games left in season.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/08/17 3:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Niiice shades !

PostPosted: 08/09/17 12:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A player can be an MVP contender with fewer games or minutes. In 2015 Candace Parker finished in the top five of MVP voting while playing fewer games and minutes than Delle Donne and Griner have now.

PostPosted: 08/09/17 1:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
A player can be an MVP contender with fewer games or minutes. In 2015 Candace Parker finished in the top five of MVP voting while playing fewer games and minutes than Delle Donne and Griner have now.

Sales pitch. The Top 5 could mean one vote.

If that's not the case, Parker's always had that lure with the media. You could make a strong argument that she didn't deserve either of her MVP's.

And newsflash, Top 5 isn't winning MVP. This topic is about the winners, and the winners have played a minimum of 31 games.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/09/17 2:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:

If that's not the case, Parker's always had that lure with the media. You could make a strong argument that she didn't deserve either of her MVP's.

And newsflash, Top 5 isn't winning MVP. This topic is about the winners, and the winners have played a minimum of 31 games.

You could make a strong argument that every winner didnt deserve MVP after 2005.

PostPosted: 08/09/17 3:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:

Shades this is all very interesting, but who exactly are you trying to persuade or influence? I don't the MWP voters actually follow this board, and as we all know, the people who frequent this small corner of world are pretty much immune to persuasion.

bballgrl

PostPosted: 08/16/17 7:08 pm    ::: Re: WNBA MVP and Minutes Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Looking back at the past decade, no MVP has played less than 31 games or 889 minutes.

Delle Donne has played 20 games and 591 minutes, and it's unlikely she'll play more than a couple of games before the end of the season.

Griner has played 18 games and 575 minutes, and PHX has 9 games left in season.

That does not answer my question. No player may have won with less than 31 games but where does it say they HAVE to play at least 31 games.

bballgrl

PostPosted: 08/16/17 7:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

I know BG is not going to win MVP but I wonder why she was placed 6th on the latest list. Her numbers did not go down so why place her 6th. Yes I know she missed games but her numbers do not warrent her falling from 2nd to 6th. I also know these aren't the voters numbers. BG came back and played limited minutes but still had a good scoring game. It just pisses me off that she is not given the correct treatment.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/16/17 7:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So to reverse it, exactly how many games should Griner have been allowed to miss and still be considered just as much of an MVP candidate as she was beforehand? If she comes out opening day and puts up 40pts, 20rbs 10blks, then breaks her leg and doesn't play the rest of the season, she's still going to lead those categories in per game averages. So does that win her MVP? What if she misses 12 games instead of just 8? 17? 25? There has to be some level of 'punishment' for missing games, because you're not of much 'value' to your team when you're in street clothes on the sideline. How much punishment is down to each individual voter.

PostPosted: 08/16/17 11:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
So to reverse it, exactly how many games should Griner have been allowed to miss and still be considered just as much of an MVP candidate as she was beforehand? If she comes out opening day and puts up 40pts, 20rbs 10blks, then breaks her leg and doesn't play the rest of the season, she's still going to lead those categories in per game averages. So does that win her MVP? What if she misses 12 games instead of just 8? 17? 25? There has to be some level of 'punishment' for missing games, because you're not of much 'value' to your team when you're in street clothes on the sideline. How much punishment is down to each individual voter.

"exactly how many games should Griner been allowed to miss"- That is the question noone seems to have the answer to. I know that Fouls is going to get it, (unless they end up giving it to Parker)that is not the point I am trying to make. Where is it set in stone the number of games a player has to play to not be in the running for MVP! Look at efficiency- Syl 67.5 Griner 57.6 JJ 57.4 and Parker 52.8. I am by no means saying Griner should win. I'm just saying her numbers did not go down while she was out.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 08/17/17 12:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good god. Jantel Lavender led the league in minutes?!? Shocked

Shades

PostPosted: 08/17/17 1:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
Good god. Jantel Lavender led the league in minutes?!? Shocked

That struck me too. She went from leading the league in minutes to coming off the bench the next two years. 2015 is the year Parker took half a year off.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/17/17 1:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballgrl wrote:
"exactly how many games should Griner been allowed to miss"- That is the question noone seems to have the answer to.

Can't you use deductive reasoning to conclude that 3 games is the most you should miss if you want to be considered for MVP? Maybe somebody mihht break the trend with 30 games played, but the most Griner can play is 26, which is way out of the norm.

bballgrl wrote:
I know that Fowles is going to get it, (unless they end up giving it to Parker)that is not the point I am trying to make.

Parker would be scandy. She's already has two she doesn't deserve.

bballgrl wrote:
Where is it set in stone the number of games a player has to play to not be in the running for MVP!

Why does it have to be set in stone? If you want to believe Griner or Delle Donne are still in the running, you're free to fantasize. Nothing written seems to be sinking in with you.

bballgrl wrote:
Look at efficiency- Syl 67.5 Griner 57.6 JJ 57.4 and Parker 52.8.

It's not only about efficiency, it's about being on the court with your teammates.

bballgrl wrote:
I am by no means saying Griner should win. I'm just saying her numbers did not go down while she was out.

Didn't go down, didn't go up, didn't do anything. A real MVP needs to play a full slate of games. If you feel differently, you should write all the media people who vote to present your ideas.

pilight

PostPosted: 08/17/17 7:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's unlikely that Griner will win MVP after missing eight games. That's nearly 1/4 of the season. She's got a better chance than some good players who have played full seasons, like Kayla McBride or Allie Quigley, but still slim.

Look at the NBA. They have a much longer season and only two players have won MVP when missing 8+ games. Allen Iverson in 2000-01 and Bill Walton in 1977-78, both of which are widely considered questionable choices.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: