Stewart
67%
 67%  [ 42 ]
Jones
32%
 32%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 62

barryi22

PostPosted: 08/08/17 8:18 pm    ::: Jonquel Jones or Breanna Stewart? Reply Reply with quote

You're building a brand new team and have to pick between these two to be your franchise player. Who do you pick?

justintyme

PostPosted: 08/08/17 8:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like Jones, and would be ecstatic to have her on my team. But to build a team around? Stewie, and it's not even close.

PostPosted: 08/08/17 9:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
I like Jones, and would be ecstatic to have her on my team. But to build a team around? Stewie, and it's not even close.

^ that.

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 08/08/17 9:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They are both 2nd year players.

Stewart's numbers this season
49.4 FG%
38.1 3PT FG%
78.9 FT%
20.6 points per game
8.5 rebounds per game
33.2 minutes per game

Jones's numbers this season
53.8 FG%
46.2 3PT FG%
84.3 FT%
15.7 points per game
11.4 rebounds per game
28.3 minutes per game

Both players are great, but Jones is has had a better season and has not even tapped into her full potential. Stewart is already where she's gonna be for her entire career.

Jones by a LOOOOOONG shot is the team I'd build a franchise around and it's not even close. Stewart would be a nice compliment player to have play along side Jones though.

myrtle

PostPosted: 08/08/17 10:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I picked Jones too. Love Stewie and they're both special players. I think Stewie will get better too but Jones just has a lot more room to grow. She didn't have Geno for four years.

- Amanda Gorman
toad455

PostPosted: 08/08/17 10:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jones just offers more. I don't see Stewart as a post, never have. Jonquel can play inside & out, she can bang around in the paint and hang outside the arch. Stewart seems afraid of contact. Plus I've always felt Stewart was more suited as a SF than a PF.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 08/08/17 10:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stewart is probably more versatile, but Jones' game appears to be more closely aligned with my sensibilities, so I go with her. I'd say that she kind of reminds me of a young Yo Griffith, except that I never actually saw a young Yo Griffith.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Michelle89

PostPosted: 08/09/17 2:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
justintyme wrote:

^ that.

This. I dont think Stewart has reached her full potential yet. Heck there are even discussions that she still isnt the number 1 option in Bouceks offense and that she needs more shots.
Just look at the numbers she is putting up in only her 2nd season Shocked
Which star player had a better 2nd season in the WNBA then Stewart Question
Not Maya, not Taurasi, Parker, EDD, LJ etc. The only one that is close is Lisa Leslie's 2nd year.

Yes she can bulk up a bit more and get more effective in the post but she has plenty of time to develop her postgame even more.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Aladyyn

PostPosted: 08/09/17 5:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stewart is going to be the best player in the league within 2 years. Jones is incredible but give me Stewie here.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 08/09/17 6:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jones.

I remember the first time i saw her on tv at GW. I actually yelled "wtf is that and how come I've never heard of her??!!"

I think she has more untapped potential and is more of a freak than Stewie. And i love Stewie.

PostPosted: 08/09/17 7:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It really depends what your team needs. Jones is going to be the best rebounder in the league annually if she stays healthy and she's a terrific shooter at her size. However, she also doesn't really have a post move and Stewie also has the ability to show off guard-like skills in the open floor.

PostPosted: 08/09/17 8:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I pick Stewart...20p/9r player with a legit post game.She's also a very good passer and defender.unfortunately,the unfair defensive responsibility placed on Stewart has negatively impacted her late game production.She looks exhausted and fatigued in the 4th quarter of every game.If seattle doesn't remedy the starting center situation they're going to take years off Stewart's career.Stewart will also become a injury prone player due to the added stress on her body.

If Seattle was smart,they'd find a way to acquire Alexander,Coates,Lavender or Stokes....Drafting Russell 2-4 would be too high.Maybe they could trade down and get a rotaion player plus a draft pick......Getting the #1 overall pick would solve the problem.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/09/17 8:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
Stewart is probably more versatile, but Jones' game appears to be more closely aligned with my sensibilities, so I go with her. I'd say that she kind of reminds me of a young Yo Griffith, except that I never actually saw a young Yo Griffith.

Great comparison , i see that also with her frame but not in her game. Her offensive skills are more of a variety than yo's back to the basket plays. Jonquel & Stewie could be our next 2 to watch when the big dogs all start retiring ! I voted jonquel only because shes relentless on the glass & can score from anywhere on the floor. Stewie can also do the same but jones has more of an effect on the game with her intangibles on offense and defense. Stewie will be an offensive force though !

PostPosted: 08/09/17 9:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
It really depends what your team needs...

I presumed that the premise of the OP was that you're building a team from scratch, like an expansion team. So the question of what your team needs is almost irrelevant, because your team needs everything. The question, as I see it, was really more asking, what style of team do you want to have, and what kind of star do you want your team to be built around?

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 08/09/17 9:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:

Great comparison , i see that also with her frame but not in her game. Her offensive skills are more of a variety than yo's back to the basket plays. Jonquel & Stewie could be our next 2 to watch when the big dogs all start retiring ! I voted jonquel only because shes relentless on the glass & can score from anywhere on the floor. Stewie can also do the same but jones has more of an effect on the game with her intangibles on offense and defense. Stewie will be an offensive force though !

One of the best things about the WNBA being in season 21 is that we've reached the point where we can actually compare young WNBA players to WNBA players who came before them, as opposed to saying "X is the Magic Johnson/Michael Jordan/Scottie Pippen/Tim Duncan of the WNBA."

Although, if I were a player, I might throw some side-eye at anyone who compared me favorably to Coco Miller...

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/09/17 9:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:

One of the best things about the WNBA being in season 21 is that we've reached the point where we can actually compare young WNBA players to WNBA players who came before them, as opposed to saying "X is the Magic Johnson/Michael Jordan/Scottie Pippen/Tim Duncan of the WNBA."

Although, if I were a player, I might throw some side-eye at anyone who compared me favorably to Coco Miller...

Omg i miss the crying face !! Laughing

PostPosted: 08/09/17 10:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As always, the question is really "When will each of these players stop improving?"

If Jones gets better each year for the next five years and then plateaus, and Stewart gets better each year for the next three years and then plateaus, then Jones is the choice.

And, of course, vice versa.

But no one knows when a player will stop improving, and there's really no way to tell

You pays yer money and you takes yer choice ...

PostPosted: 08/09/17 10:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stevie, she is just going to keep getting better. If we could just get a good ,and true center we might actually get back into the playoffs. But we need a new coach, Jenny just doesn't cut it.

PostPosted: 08/09/17 11:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Force10rulz wrote:
Stevie, she is just going to keep getting better. If we could just get a good ,and true center we might actually get back into the playoffs. But we need a new coach, Jenny just doesn't cut it.

The Sparks don't need a true center. Why can't the Storm emulate the Sparks? What would it take? I might be kicking it into full zune mode here. Maybe if Stewie would play the Candace Parker role as point forward. I do believe she has fallen off in that respect since last year. Then they need someone who is more Ogwumike than Langhorne. They might have to trade for Glory Johnson or Chiney.

They kinda do emulate the Sparks just not quite there
Candace Parker - Breanna Stewart
Nneka Ogwumike - Crystal Langhorne
Alana Beard - Alysha Clark
Odessey Sims - Jewell Loyd
Chelsea Gray - Sue Bird

Yeah, so maybe upgrade Alysha Clark with Gabby Williams, who can act as an additional point forward. Upgrade Langhorne with a bull in a China shop, add a little patience and you're almost there. They could probably use somebody fresher than Sue Bird, kinda like the Lynx could use somebody fresher than Whalen. Agler kinda had Gray fall into his lap. Kinda doubt he knew that he had someone that he could rely on this much. Who's that next Gray out there?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/09/17 12:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Force10rulz wrote:

The Sparks don't need a true center. Why can't the Storm emulate the Sparks? What would it take? I might be kicking it into full zune mode here. Maybe if Stewie would play the Candace Parker role as point forward. I do believe she has fallen off in that respect since last year. Then they need someone who is more Ogwumike than Langhorne. They might have to trade for Glory Johnson or Chiney.

They kinda do emulate the Sparks just not quite there
Candace Parker - Breanna Stewart
Nneka Ogwumike - Crystal Langhorne
Alana Beard - Alysha Clark
Odessey Sims - Jewell Loyd
Chelsea Gray - Sue Bird

Yeah, so maybe upgrade Alysha Clark with Gabby Williams, who can act as an additional point forward. Upgrade Langhorne with a bull in a China shop, add a little patience and you're almost there. They could probably use somebody fresher than Sue Bird, kinda like the Lynx could use somebody fresher than Whalen. Agler kinda had Gray fall into his lap. Kinda doubt he knew that he had someone that he could rely on this much. Who's that next Gray out there?

Gabby = A. Clark . Eventually i believe gabby will be the better player but i dont see much of an upgrade with that pick if your wanting to replace Alysha.

PostPosted: 08/09/17 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Gabby = A. Clark . Eventually i believe gabby will be the better player but i dont see much of an upgrade with that pick if your wanting to replace Alysha.

Gabby has an Olympic level of athleticism and is a great defender and facilitator in college. Let's see you say that about Clark. Plus Gabby goes to the WNBA boot camp known as UConn.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/09/17 12:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Gabby has an Olympic level of athleticism and is a great defender and facilitator in college. Let's see you say that about Clark. Plus Gabby goes to the WNBA boot camp known as UConn.

Lol so that automatically makes her better than a veteran ? What olympic level athletiscm ? Laughing Until she plays in the olympics for the SR national team then that quality will be valid. Not saying she doesnt have the potential to be there one day because she does but im not going to put all my chips on hope for a player who has not shown in my opinion to be better or an upgrade to Alysha Clark's skillset. Heck Id take DD Athletic abilities/gifts over gabby's any day.

Last edited by WNBA 09 on 08/09/17 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
scrappy

PostPosted: 08/09/17 1:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:

Omg i miss the crying face !! Laughing

no, it's that hair. whew. Shocked

PostPosted: 08/09/17 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

both.

but considering the values are fairly equal. then the conventional basketball wisdom is you build your team around the big.

physical plays win the battle as you see last night's game; jones did have an affect in the paint over stewie.

reminds me when lauren jackson won the battle over candace parker in the paint where parker definitely was better ball skill wise. but the physical presence of jackson gives the edge to lauren.

PostPosted: 08/09/17 1:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ima go with the player that scares me the most...

and that is Ms Jones. a Beast. She rebounds like a piranhas feasting for her lunch lol

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: