17%  [ 4 ]
Sun
82%
 82%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 23

tfan

PostPosted: 08/08/17 10:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:

They need to hire a new coach, a new GM, and dump the entire roster aside Stewart, Loyd, Bird, KML and Langhorne.

Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis is short for a small forward. Her arm length is maybe, average, but probably short. She's not a great ballhandler. And she is not quick. That is why she doesn't start and why Auriemma cautioned that she could do well in the pros if given the right situation and even Doris Burke mentioned that her defense was not top knotch as she was driven by in a game. The basement dwellars and the pundits were caught up in UConn undefeated fever when they had her pegged as a #1 pick pre-Loyd.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 08/08/17 10:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Surely there's an assistant coach somewhere in the WNBA who wouldn't mind coaching Breanna Stewart and Jewel Loyd. Going from Boucek to whomever that might be would be a lateral move, at the absolute worst.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Nerd2

PostPosted: 08/08/17 10:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
The question you always have to ask is - what coach out there is better? And, who would you think you can put in charge the rest of the season and turn things around?

Exactly. We have Kloppy who has some HC experience but would that make it better? Or would the team simply get less energetic. I don't know. If the Storm miss the playoffs, they'd almost certainly be 4th seed which Is worse odds than the last 2 times.

Nerd2

PostPosted: 08/08/17 10:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:

They need to hire a new coach, a new GM, and dump the entire roster aside Stewart, Loyd, Bird, KML and Langhorne.

Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis is short for a small forward. Her arm length is maybe, average, but probably short. She's not a great ballhandler. And she is not quick. That is why she doesn't start and why Auriemma cautioned that she could do well in the pros if given the right situation and even Doris Burke mentioned that her defense was not top knotch as she was driven by in a game. The basement dwellars and the pundits were caught up in UConn undefeated fever when they had her pegged as a #1 pick pre-Loyd.

KML was scoring very well and making a difference offensively. I would have preferred she get replaced by Whitcomb though when she went cold and they needed better defense.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/08/17 11:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I saw 1 play ran by the storm the entire 2nd half . Pick and rolls followed by pick the picker or double pick the picker . Like really boucek u picked some 💩 and lost this game. The storm have no offensive system. Maybe two option plays at most. They remind me much of the LV's . Give the ball too your star and watch them work us out of the game! If the lottery has Seattle in it history says they win #1 so that makes DD Shine as a top prospect right nw. Aja & Stewie would be an odd match. Too much finesse imo

PostPosted: 08/08/17 11:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
The question you always have to ask is - what coach out there is better? And, who would you think you can put in charge the rest of the season and turn things around?

Does the WNBA have rules about player-coaches?

(now with spelling variations)
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 08/08/17 11:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Again regarding the Storm for all the talk about Boucek. Maybe she has to go, but doing things like picking apart allegedly bad offensive plays isn't the reason. They're shooting a ridiculous .477 from the field coming into tonight on a perimeter-oriented team. Their problems are defense and yielding 10 offensive rebounds per game, as well as 200 more FGA than their opponents for the season. If you want to hold Boucek accountable for that part, have at it. Just know that the personnel is certainly a large part of that equation too.

PostPosted: 08/08/17 11:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Again regarding the Storm for all the talk about Boucek. Maybe she has to go, but doing things like picking apart allegedly bad offensive plays isn't the reason. They're shooting a ridiculous .477 from the field coming into tonight on a perimeter-oriented team. Their problems are defense and yielding 10 offensive rebounds per game, as well as 200 more FGA than their opponents for the season. If you want to hold Boucek accountable for that part, have at it. Just know that the personnel is certainly a large part of that equation too.

So what do you think would fix this team? I'm seriously asking the question as someone who wants to learn more about the game and has no idea what would fix this team.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 08/09/17 12:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think it's a bit complicated for one reason. Sue Bird is still the game's best passing PG. She was never a great defender but now she's IMO the worst one-on-one defender in the league. So I think to some extent you're going to have to live with some defensive deficiencies in exchange for her playmaking. But otherwise you need some length in the middle and at the 3 spot. Ideally, the length in the middle should involve an athletic post with some face-up ability.

I think you also need a PG you can start to groom to replace Bird if you can find it. But PG's don't grow on trees and you're not overloaded with extra assets to trade so that may be easier said than done.

PostPosted: 08/09/17 12:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Seattle needs a lottery pick more than a playoff berth.

Yeah, but then they'll probably trade the pick for a backup center... Twisted Evil

scrappy

PostPosted: 08/09/17 1:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i don't blame boucek completely unless she is fully responsible for the team roster as well.

Last edited by scrappy on 08/09/17 2:01 am; edited 1 time in total
zune69

PostPosted: 08/09/17 1:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:
Yeah, but then they'll probably trade the pick for a backup center... Twisted Evil

Laughing..........Depending on who declares for the draft.....the 3rd/4th pick & Swords for Stokes & the liberty's 1st rd pick would be a good deal for the storm.They could then draft a sf,pg,or center with liberty's pick.

scrappy

PostPosted: 08/09/17 2:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Admiral_Needa wrote:

Laughing..........Depending on who declares for the draft.....the 3rd/4th pick & Swords for Stokes & the liberty's 1st rd pick would be a good deal for the storm.They could then draft a sf,pg,or center with liberty's pick.

draft picks won't do shit for the storm if they have the same people been making the personnel decision.

stewie, loyd, bird, were the obvious choices for any gm. so the storm can't take credits for those choices. aside from those three, all seattle's picks have been awful. at least while they were in seattle.

PostPosted: 08/09/17 2:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scrappy wrote:
zune69 wrote:
Admiral_Needa wrote:

draft picks won't do shit for the storm if they have the same people been making the personnel decision.

stewie, loyd, bird, were the obvious choices for any gm. so the storm can't take credits for those choices. aside from those three, all seattle's picks have been awful. at least while they were in seattle.

I'm gonna go full Shades on you and rewind back to the conversation here post-draft:
scrappy wrote:
the storm should have taken zahui b first

PostPosted: 08/09/17 3:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
tfan wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:

KML was scoring very well and making a difference offensively. I would have preferred she get replaced by Whitcomb though when she went cold and they needed better defense.

Havent seen the game yet but when i see that Loyd took 19 shots while only hitting 4 then i just dont understand why Sami Whitcomb didnt play in the 2nd half. Her defense is above average and she keeps the defense honest so why not give her some more minutes when Loyd is bricking all over the place.. Playing her only 5 minutes after she had a great last game is just UNBELIEVABLE

Also i had to laugh at our leading rebounders in this game. Alysha Clark with 10 and Birdy with 7 Laughing

Yes everyone knows that Bird is a crappy defender but she even gets blamed for bad defense when they hide her on Alex Montgomery and Plum goes off in that game Rolling Eyes . Check the highlights from Plum and you will see that Loyd got burned all those times by sagging to much in help defense. Was that Bouceks call to help off Plum so much? Could be with the way Plum has been shooting this season but when she gets hot you (player and coach) make adjustments

At this point i would try starting Swords (play her 15 min in total or so) instead of Langhorne. Langhorne will still play the bulk of the minutes but give Stewart some relief on defense at the start of the game.
You have to make some adjustments at some point. If she keeps on being a foul magnet then you atleast tried this option like you said you would at the beginning of the season

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
scrappy

PostPosted: 08/09/17 3:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
scrappy wrote:
zune69 wrote:
Admiral_Needa wrote:

I'm gonna go full Shades on you and rewind back to the conversation here post-draft:
scrappy wrote:

you know why, don't you?

tulsa already had sims and diggins. they needed bigs. there was a very good chance that loyd would still available at #3. and you know what? the shock did draft zahui b.

i'm sending in my rebkell resume to be the next storm gm tomorrow.

PostPosted: 08/09/17 4:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scrappy wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
scrappy wrote:
zune69 wrote:
Admiral_Needa wrote:

scrappy wrote:

you know why, don't you?

tulsa already had sims and diggins. they needed bigs. there was a very good chance that loyd would still available at #3. and you know what? the shock did draft zahui b.

i'm sending in my rebkell resume to be the next storm gm tomorrow.

It's a big call claiming the Shock would have passed over Loyd though!
Imagine if Seattle ended up with Zahui B & KML out of that draft Embarassed

PostPosted: 08/09/17 4:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:
tfan wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:

Havent seen the game yet but when i see that Loyd took 19 shots while only hitting 4 then i just dont understand why Sami Whitcomb didnt play in the 2nd half. Her defense is above average and she keeps the defense honest so why not give her some more minutes when Loyd is bricking all over the place.. Playing her only 5 minutes after she had a great last game is just UNBELIEVABLE

Also i had to laugh at our leading rebounders in this game. Alysha Clark with 10 and Birdy with 7 Laughing

Yes everyone knows that Bird is a crappy defender but she even gets blamed for bad defense when they hide her on Alex Montgomery and Plum goes off in that game Rolling Eyes . Check the highlights from Plum and you will see that Loyd got burned all those times by sagging to much in help defense. Was that Bouceks call to help off Plum so much? Could be with the way Plum has been shooting this season but when she gets hot you (player and coach) make adjustments

At this point i would try starting Swords (play her 15 min in total or so) instead of Langhorne. Langhorne will still play the bulk of the minutes but give Stewart some relief on defense at the start of the game.
You have to make some adjustments at some point. If she keeps on being a foul magnet then you atleast tried this option like you said you would at the beginning of the season

i just watched the game on replay. loyd was on williams when she made that scoring run in the 4th. plus she also made lots of bad decisions on shots, drives. but all those are correctable/coachable. i would not trade loyd away unless you got a lebron james in return. well, ok. may be a nneka ogwumeki or the like.

my opinion is that she is trying too hard to be the gold mamba. perhaps some jealousy of stewie, i don't know? but all those are fixable. remember that one play when loyd and stewie feeding the ball to each other back and forth? honestly, i don't think loyd is a selfish player. may be a good coach can guide can direct her better?

PostPosted: 08/09/17 7:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Randy wrote:

since one is a union job (player) & one is a non-union job (management), I don't think they'd be compatible for crossover duties. but others who know more about the contract parameters.

PostPosted: 08/09/17 7:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scrappy wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:
tfan wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:

i just watched the game on replay. loyd was on williams when she made that scoring run in the 4th. plus she also made lots of bad decisions on shots, drives. but all those are correctable/coachable. i would not trade loyd away unless you got a lebron james in return. well, ok. may be a nneka ogwumeki or the like.

my opinion is that she is trying too hard to be the gold mamba. perhaps some jealousy of stewie, i don't know? but all those are fixable. remember that one play when loyd and stewie feeding the ball to each other back and forth? honestly, i don't think loyd is a selfish player. may be a good coach can guide can direct her better?

I dont think she is selfish either. This is a coaches decision and result of the system. Boucek wants the offense to flow and that everyone shares the ball etc and that they attack out of movement. Often this means that the ball gets into Loyds hands instead of Stewart and often when Stewart gets the ball early in the shotclock out of an pick&roll she then swings the ball to the other side and doesnt get a shot at the end.
Also i see a lot of plays being run for Loyd . She gets some baselinescreens and then pops open at the elbow and takes the jumper. I like these plays for pure shooters like Bird and Sami Whitcomb. Loyds best scoring option is her drive and creating off the bounce. When her shots our falling then you can run these sets but not to start the game IMO

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/09/17 8:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Sami's reward for her 2nd half contribution last game? Zero 2nd half minutes tonight Rolling Eyes

I think it was more of Sami's 1st half of no contribution at all & KML's normal 1 great game of the season in this game that got her Zero minutes in the 2nd.

PostPosted: 08/09/17 9:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:
Queenie wrote:
Randy wrote:

since one is a union job (player) & one is a non-union job (management), I don't think they'd be compatible for crossover duties. but others who know more about the contract parameters.

Bird probably has had more say in how things are done more than anyone cares to admit. It's her team.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: