12%
 12%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 49

Aladyyn

PostPosted: 08/07/17 7:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If only Griner didn't get injured...

toad455

PostPosted: 08/07/17 7:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

yes, Fowles is the clear MVP, but I'm still upset that Jonquel Jones continues to be left off the poll.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 08/07/17 8:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
yes, Fowles is the clear MVP, but I'm still upset that Jonquel Jones continues to be left off the poll.

Because if, for example, Jones has 14 points and 14 rebounds in a win and Jasmine Thomas scores 15 points, Thomas gets pilight's MVP point for the game, because leading your team in scoring is all that matters, not rebounds, etc.

pilight

PostPosted: 08/07/17 8:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Because if, for example, Jones has 14 points and 14 rebounds in a win and Jasmine Thomas scores 15 points, Thomas gets pilight's MVP point for the game, because leading your team in scoring is all that matters, not rebounds, etc.

That's generally what MVP voters respond to. Jones' 15.7 PPG would be the second lowest ever for an MVP. Only Catchings' career achievement award in 2011 would be lower.

PostPosted: 08/07/17 8:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Meanwhile Alyssa is sitting quietly in the corner with her 14/6/5 averages.

sportsfan48

PostPosted: 08/07/17 8:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Shades wrote:
Once again, an inadequate list of nominees

If anything the list of options is unnecessarily long.
It could have just Syl and "other" and still wouldn't be close this season. One terrible week (she only averaged 15 & 10!) doesn't change that.

THIS!!!

I am not a Lynx fan but this award is Sylvia's to lose. Even if BG had stayed healthy, it is still Fowles award. As much as you might wish otherwise, the dominance by Fowles herself and her team says it all.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/07/17 9:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:
toad455 wrote:

That's generally what MVP voters respond to. Jones' 15.7 PPG would be the second lowest ever for an MVP. Only Catchings' career achievement award in 2011 would be lower.

Isn't "generally" what happens most often? I took the time to do the research to find that only twice in the last 9 years did the highest scoring ppg win the MVP.

http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=92110&start=25

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight

PostPosted: 08/07/17 9:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Isn't "generally" what happens most often? I took the time to do the research to find that only twice in the last 9 years did the highest scoring ppg win the MVP.

http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=92110&start=25

The MVP is generally higher than 15th in scoring

PostPosted: 08/07/17 10:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

What about for the 2nd-5th place finishers in MVP? Smile

Michelle89

PostPosted: 08/08/17 3:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Tbh Jasmine Thomas makes a case for being the best player on her team. It's certainly close between her and JJ (and even A Thomas).

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
pilight

PostPosted: 08/08/17 7:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
pilight wrote:

What about for the 2nd-5th place finishers in MVP? Smile

Here are the 2-5th place MVP finishers from the last five years along with their scoring rank:

Tina Charles 1st
Maya Moore 5th
Elena Delle Donne 2nd
Candace Parker 11th

Maya Moore 2nd
Tina Charles 6th
Brittney Griner 13th
Candace Parker 4th

Diana Taurasi 9th
Angel McCoughtry 4th
Candace Parker 3rd
Brittney Griner 12th

Maya Moore 3rd
Elena Delle Donne 4th
Sylvia Fowles 11th
Angel McCoughtry 1st

Candace Parker 6th
Tamika Catchings 7th
Maya Moore 3rd
Seimone Augustus 10th

15th is still out of the running

PostPosted: 08/08/17 8:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Meanwhile Alyssa is sitting quietly in the corner with her 14/6/5 averages.

And also leading the league in Turnovers Embarassed

PostPosted: 08/08/17 11:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

To me MVP means player most crucial to the success of their team. That player needs to stand out as the crucial cog on their tea. On a well balanced team it is hard to identify a MVP. Are Fowles or Griner as crucial to the success of their teams as Stewart is to hers? Not even close in my opinion.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 08/08/17 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Angus24 wrote:
To me MVP means player most crucial to the success of their team. That player needs to stand out as the crucial cog on their tea. On a well balanced team it is hard to identify a MVP. Are Fowles or Griner as crucial to the success of their teams as Stewart is to hers? Not even close in my opinion.

Is Stewart's play leading to success of her team? Not even close.

pilight

PostPosted: 08/08/17 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Angus24 wrote:

The flip side is that Seattle hasn't had much success this year. The Mercury are 2-5 since Griner went out, so she appears to be pretty crucial to their success.

PostPosted: 08/08/17 12:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Every team has an MVP although on some teams that are really well balanced that player may be hard to identify. My argument is that Stewart stands out from the rest of her team more than any other team MPV and this is not a function of the success of the team. I am not a Storm fan in case anybody thinks I am promoting Stewart for that reason. Strict definition of the league MVP can be a bit fuzzy I think.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 08/08/17 1:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Angus24 wrote:
Every team has an MVP although on some teams that are really well balanced that player may be hard to identify. My argument is that Stewart stands out from the rest of her team more than any other team MPV and this is not a function of the success of the team. I am not a Storm fan in case anybody thinks I am promoting Stewart for that reason. Strict definition of the league MVP can be a bit fuzzy I think.

Im a Storm fan and i dont think Stewart is the MVP. She is putting up fantastic numbers though but it doesnt lead to success yet and that is what valueable means. Getting wins for your team. Tbh its not her fault. I blame the coach and the GM for the construction of this team. The balance around Stewie just isnt there

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/08/17 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Angus24 wrote:

Im a Storm fan and i dont think Stewart is the MVP. She is putting up fantastic numbers though but it doesnt lead to success yet and that is what valueable means. Getting wins for your team. Tbh its not her fault. I blame the coach and the GM for the construction of this team. The balance around Stewie just isnt there

How long you think before stewie recognizes that and pulls an EDD ? Demanding a Trade to NY to play with Tina Cool

PostPosted: 08/08/17 3:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
Angus24 wrote:

How long you think before stewie recognizes that and pulls an EDD ? Demanding a Trade to NY to play with Tina Cool

I think she likes it in Seattle and she is good friends with her teammates so far i can see from her snapchat so i dont think she is going anywhere but the coach and GM are Laughing

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/08/17 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
Angus24 wrote:

I think she likes it in Seattle and she is good friends with her teammates so far i can see from her snapchat so i dont think she is going anywhere but the coach and GM are Laughing

Same was said about EDD Idea

PostPosted: 08/08/17 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
Angus24 wrote:

Won't happen. Stewart has class and would never demand a trade or threaten to sit out. Class is something Charles and EDD have none of. Same goes for Fowles.

adamj95

PostPosted: 08/08/17 10:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Still not sure why Fowles is being put in the same light as Charles or EDD. Fowles put in 7 years in Chicago and after that she wanted out when she was a free agent.

PostPosted: 08/08/17 10:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

adamj95 wrote:
Still not sure why Fowles is being put in the same light as Charles or EDD. Fowles put in 7 years in Chicago and after that she wanted out when she was a free agent.

She's been put in the same light becasue like Charles and EDD, she threatened the Sky to either trade her to the Lynx and no one else or else she was sitting out. Essentially holding her team hostage. I have no use for players that do that.

justintyme

PostPosted: 08/08/17 10:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
adamj95 wrote:

She's been put in the same light becasue like Charles and EDD, she threatened the Sky to either trade her to the Lynx and no one else or else she was sitting out. Essentially holding her team hostage. I have no use for players that do that.

They could have chosen not to core her. Chicago singled out an unhappy player who wanted to become an UFA like every other non-cored player and choose her new home.

While it was Chicago's right to do that under the CBA, it was just as much her right to refuse to sign that contract and leave the league if they refused to trade her rights. Let's not pretend that Chicago was blindsided by this. They cored her because they wanted to get something in return for her instead of losing her for free. She used her leverage to get to the team she had been planning on signing with. So she held her team hostage just as much as they were tryibg to hold her hostage. She put in her time with Chicago.

PostPosted: 08/09/17 2:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
Angus24 wrote:

Same was said about EDD Idea

I heard that EDD was not friends with her teammates outside of basketball.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: