someone else
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 37

pilight

PostPosted: 08/07/17 7:21 am    ::: ROY Reply Reply with quote

Monday Poll time!

PostPosted: 08/07/17 8:27 am    ::: ROY Reply Reply with quote

Close to a dead heat with a few weeks left!

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/07/17 8:29 am    ::: Re: ROY Reply Reply with quote

BobScoutingReport wrote:

Does team success matter with this award ? If Fowles is MVP for being the best player on the best team. Should Gray get the nod for being the best Rookie on the better of the 2 teams DAL < ATL ?

PostPosted: 08/07/17 9:38 am    ::: Re: ROY Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
BobScoutingReport wrote:

Does team success matter with this award ? If Fowles is MVP for being the best player on the best team. Should Gray get the nod for being the best Rookie on the better of the 2 teams DAL < ATL ?

No, because Kiah Stokes was the best rookie in 2015, and her team was 23-11, yet ROY went to Jewell Loyd of the 10-24 Storm.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/07/17 9:57 am    ::: Re: ROY Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
BobScoutingReport wrote:

No, because Kiah Stokes was the best rookie in 2015, and her team was 23-11, yet ROY went to Jewell Loyd of the 10-24 Storm.

Yeah i remember that , so i guess winning or team success only matters when your in MVP conversations. #DoubleStandard

PostPosted: 08/07/17 9:58 am    ::: Re: ROY Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
BobScoutingReport wrote:

That was only the second time in league history ROY went to a player whose team had a worse record than the year before.

PostPosted: 08/07/17 10:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I guess one could argue then that Sykes shouldn't get it because the Dream are worse this year and the Wings are better.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 08/07/17 10:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
I guess one could argue then that Sykes shouldn't get it because the Dream are worse this year and the Wings are better.

Or in other words, Sykes shouldn't win rookie of the year because she, as a rookie, isn't as good as (or better than) Angel McCoughtry in her prime. 😭

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/07/17 11:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

Thats my argument ! Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: 08/07/17 11:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Randy wrote:

ROY: It isn't a black-and-white decision, because it's Gray! 😂

root_thing

PostPosted: 08/07/17 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I guess it shouldn't surprise me, given Jefferson's injury issues, but I was caught off guard by Plum reaching the 20 mpg mark. If her 3-pt shot is actually back, Kelsey can put up points in a hurry. Maybe the Plumster can make a mad dash to the finish line. Looking forward to lots of angry debate. Twisted Evil

PostPosted: 08/07/17 11:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If a rookie plays really well on a team with a bad record that should give her a boost in the rating.I think Plum may fulfill that prophesy.

TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 08/07/17 12:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's either Gray or Sykes for now. I don't think anyone else has a good argument at the moment. One game doesn't equate to a full season.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/07/17 1:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Randy wrote:

ROY: It isn't a black-and-white decision, because it's Gray! 😂

SpaceJunkie i must admit this made my day. Thinking about making this a poster for Thursdays ESPN2 game vs PHX Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 08/07/17 1:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
I guess it shouldn't surprise me, given Jefferson's injury issues, but I was caught off guard by Plum reaching the 20 mpg mark. If her 3-pt shot is actually back, Kelsey can put up points in a hurry. Maybe the Plumster can make a mad dash to the finish line. Looking forward to lots of angry debate. Twisted Evil

For the debate to be angry you have to have debaters that care.

Aladyyn

PostPosted: 08/07/17 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hill went 4th in 2013. Gray closed the gap pretty quickly Wink

root_thing

PostPosted: 08/07/17 5:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
root_thing wrote:

Like it hasn't already gotten a little testy between Dallas and Atlanta fans? Imagine if Plum actually started drawing some late support? Laughing

PostPosted: 08/07/17 5:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:

She's been getting pretty heavy minutes since the end of June. SAS are 5-0 when Plum plays 30+ minutes.

PostPosted: 08/07/17 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Plum's the dark horse, but we all know the league's going to shove her down our throats even more now that she's apart of the race.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Randy

PostPosted: 08/07/17 7:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Randy wrote:
root_thing wrote:

Like it hasn't already gotten a little testy between Dallas and Atlanta fans? Imagine if Plum actually started drawing some late support? Laughing

I don't remember much testiness with the Dallas fans. More testiness between Atlanta fans with each other perhaps.

As for ROY, well I'd hope Sykes gets it but Gray probably deserves it up to this point. Gray is the quiet, effective, good team mate type player and has played pretty well all year. Sykes is the flashy and even spectacular at times but also maybe too much of a "me first" and was almost invisible the first month of the season. Plum, I think is probably too late to the party, but if she puts on a big show this month and can catch up with the stats Gray and Sykes end up with, she would probably win it due to name recognition among the sports writers. Sports is a what have you done lately type business.

I could live with any just outcome, but if Plum were to get it but doesn't show up quite strong for the rest of the season, then I'd be non-plussed.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 08/07/17 7:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
root_thing wrote:
Randy wrote:
root_thing wrote:

I don't remember much testiness with the Dallas fans. More testiness between Atlanta fans with each other perhaps.

As for ROY, well I'd hope Sykes gets it but Gray probably deserves it up to this point. Gray is the quiet, effective, good team mate type player and has played pretty well all year. Sykes is the flashy and even spectacular at times but also maybe too much of a "me first" and was almost invisible the first month of the season. Plum, I think is probably too late to the party, but if she puts on a big show this month and can catch up with the stats Gray and Sykes end up with, she would probably win it due to name recognition among the sports writers. Sports is a what have you done lately type business.

I could live with any just outcome, but if Plum were to get it but doesn't show up quite strong for the rest of the season, then I'd be non-plussed.

Great summary, Randy. I voted Gray (and I'm a Dallas fan), but I would be perfectly fine with either Gray or Sykes winning it. Plum is still FAR back in my mind, but she has been playing so much better recently (than her early and mid-season struggles). I'm happy that we have an actual debate, as it looked like Gray in a landslide earlier this season.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 08/08/17 3:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Plum's numbers arent even close yet. She has to shoot lights out the rest of the season if she wants to win this one.

My vote right now still goes to Sykes. Her shooting % is a little better then Gray and her pts per game are similar while playing less minutes. But its very close.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Angus24

PostPosted: 08/08/17 11:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is this Sykes related to the Sykes that played for the Sparks a few years back or do I have the wrong spelling?

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/08/17 11:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Angus24 wrote:
Is this Sykes related to the Sykes that played for the Sparks a few years back or do I have the wrong spelling?

Was it April Sykes out of Rutgers your referring too ?

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: